TV Series : ANGEL (1999 - 2004)
Guest appearance: In Angel, Summer Glau plays a Prima Ballerina trapped in a temporal loop.
Series plot summary : The show details the ongoing trials of Angel, a vampire whose human soul was restored to him. During the first four seasons of Angel, he works as a private detective in a fictionalized version of Los Angeles, California, where he and a variety of associates work to "help the helpless", restoring the faith and saving the souls of those who have lost their way. Typically, this involves doing battle with evil demons or demonically allied humans, primarily related to Wolfram & Hart, a demonic law firm. He must also battle his own demonic nature.
Creators : David Greenwalt, Joss Whedon
Network : The WB
Genre : Action | Drama | Fantasy
Production credits : Mutant Enemy Productions
David Boreanaz : Angel
Charisma Carpenter : Cordelia Chase
Alexis Denisof : Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
J. August Richards : Charles Gunn
Amy Acker : Winifred 'Fred' Burkle
Season 3 Episode 13 'Waiting in the Wings'
Original air date: February 4, 2002
Episode plot summary: When a famous dance troupe comes to LA, Angel is thrilled. He drags Gunn, Fred, Cordy and Wes along for a night of ballet. Unfortunately, supernatural forces are afoot at the theater. Angel becomes suspicious when the prima ballerina (Summer Glau) is the same one he saw dance more than 100 years ago. After investigating, Angel discovers that the ballet company owner, the jealous Count Kurskov, has encased his unfaithful prima ballerina in a temporal loop, dooming her to perform Giselle over and over again for him.
Director: Joss Whedon
Guest cast :
Summer Glau : Prima Ballerina
Mark Harelik: Count Kurksov
Check out this beautiful fan made video.
DVD commentary by Joss Whedon, taken from the DVD's special features.
Angel's Waiting in the Wings was written and directed by Joss Whedon himself, who provides insightful commentaries on Summer Glau herself, the way the ballet scenes were filmed and tons of trivias, including Whedon's two favorite shots from the episode.
- 'Waiting in the Wings was Glau's first acting role. Despite her years as a ballerina, she later explained, it provided her first opportunity to dance "Giselle" in real life.
- This episode was shot on location at the Orpheum Theater in downtown Los Angeles.
- Angel reveals that the first time he saw the production he was Angelus, yet the performance was so beautiful that it caused the sociopathic vampire to cry like a baby.
- According to DVD commentary, when Summer Glau finished her four-page monologue, she received a standing ovation from the crew and the extras remaining on set from the theater scene. This eventually led to comedian Jeff Laub suggesting that Joss have her read for the role of River Tam on his new series, 'Firefly'.
- For Summer Glau's audition for the part of the Prima Ballerina, she read the lines in which she is waiting in the wings with Angel.
- Mark Harelik, who plays the jealous Count Kurksov in Angel 3.13 "Waiting in the Wings", plays the captain of the cruise ship in "Deadly Honeymoon":