menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » How attractive is Summer?
How attractive is Summer?
What word best describes Summer's attractiveness?
1.Cute[ 2 ][11.76%]
2.Pretty[ 1 ][5.88%]
3.Beautiful[ 2 ][11.76%]
4.Gorgeous[ 10 ][58.82%]
5.Sexy[ 2 ][11.76%]
Poll has expired - Sunday, 26 Feb 2012, 09:09
Answers total: 17
riversfeetDate: Sunday, 12 Feb 2012, 09:09 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
For me, it's a fine line between gorgeous and sexy.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 12 Feb 2012, 10:00 | Message # 2
Group: Administrators
Your poll reminds me an anecdote from a few days ago.

In another fansite, i linked to a Youtube clip by saying "Summer Glau transformed into even more of a hottie",which is simply the title of the clip taken from the movie "The initiation of Sarah". A fan answered my post by saying he disagree and said he like Summer better without superboobs and over-styled hair. To what i answered i was just quoting the title of the clip but it wasn"t my personal appreciation of Summer and that i never use the word hottie whan i speak about Summer. All that was said very politely and no offense was mean from one or the other btw.

The Initiation of Sarah

I try to avoid words like "hottie" when i describe Summer Glau’s physical appearance for several reasons : firstly because i think Summer deserves better than that Hollywood stereotype and secondly i try whenever i can to balance that image based solely on looks by a comment praising her acting and ability to create characters the audience cares for (like i did recently at FHM South Africa website, see : http://summer-glau.com/forum/9-366-12217-16-1328920565 ).

Instead of beauty i prefer to insist on Summer's charm, which is based on her delicate and extremely feminine features and on her irresistible smile. When i look at a photoshoot of Summer, i can appreciate what i'm looking at instead of simply drooling over myself. She's the perfect balance between the girl you used to have a crush in high school and an Hollywood super babe. She's the best of both worlds.

Now to answer the question of the poll, i would say charming.

What, it's not one of the possible choice? Then i let you guess what i answered.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 12 Feb 2012, 17:29

The1RussterDate: Sunday, 12 Feb 2012, 16:45 | Message # 3
Group: Writer
Each person has their own criteria for what makes someone attractive to them. Most times its not something you can describe with confidence or detail. Typically you either find someone attractive or not.

Now I got a kick out of the choices above, Cute, Pretty, Beautiful, Gorgeous and Sexy, and I'll tell you why. Each of those words could be used to describe Summer as she grew in her career with each performance.

River in Firefly was Cute and by the end of the series and into Serenity you could also say Pretty.

Cameron in TSCC started off Pretty and by season 2 was downright Beautiful and already edging into the Gorgeous category

Bennett in Dollhouse was Beautiful to Gorgeous and by the time Summer was playing Orwell on The Cape, she was definitely Gorgeous.

Sexy is a term which has undergone a metamorphosis in today's media drenched society and is not one I use regularly, nor the terms hot or Hottie. In today's society, sexy tends to be synonymous with how much skin an actor is willing to show on screen or film and how slutty they are willing to act and nothing else. If you disagree, remember I'm commenting on the media in general and that includes the Hollywood machine. I hope each of us have their own idea of what makes someone sexy which is well above the standards of Hollywood. You'll get a fair idea of mine coming up next.

Summer Glau has a charm, a quality, of her own. She is careful about her image and chooses her roles with care. Everyone who has known or met her always says what a nice girl she is. She always conducts herself like a lady which I find extremely appealing in this age. Summer has a beauty which is more than her outward appearance. There is a beauty a spirit that radiates from within. In interviews or on convention panels you still see the cute, shy and pretty girl that made us fall in love with River Tam. In public events she still manages to maintain her beauty with the precision and care of Cameron Philips. At red carpet events, whether a movie premiere or a party celebrating the launch of a new TV series, Summer is absolutely gorgeous.

So, what is my choice for what makes Summer Glau attractive, She is all of the above and more.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

XxDeathStarxXDate: Sunday, 12 Feb 2012, 18:36 | Message # 4
She's definitely cute, pretty, beautiful and gorgeous. Even though those words don't do her justice. What she is, is divine! smile

I don't like to describe her as sexy, because it's commonly associated with the likes of M.F., who couldn't be farther from what is sexy in my opinion. So while I think that Summer is sexy, I wouldn't describe her as one, because many people tend to get the wrong idea. And it's completely understandable that they do, because they don't know that my - and a few other's - definition of the term differs from the now common one. It's sad, but true, that the once beautiful term has been ruined. sad

Summer Glau is divine!

BlaziusDate: Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 01:13 | Message # 5
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I try to avoid words like "hottie" when i describe Summer Glau’s physical appearance for several reasons : firstly because i think Summer deserves better than that Hollywood stereotype and secondly i try whenever i can to balance that image based solely on looks by a comment praising her acting and ability to create characters the audience cares for (like i did recently at FHM South Africa website, see : http://summer-glau.com/forum/9-366-12217-16-1328920565 ).

I agree with this sentiment obviously.

Summer has so much more to offer than simply being another good looking body. So much in fact that I always consider her physical beauty as merely the tip of the iceberg, the last component of the perfection that is Summer.
But its often hard to look past physical beauty and see the true beauty behind that, even for fans I think. So I, like Chrisdvanne , always try to emphasize her other exploits rather than her physical beauty. More so because I find those traits infinitely more rewarding myself. I saw celebrities who I found attractive before, there are plenty of beautiful women in Hollywood especially but only Summer could earn the undying admiration I have for her.

The thing is that the industry treats beautiful women like sex objects only or even if not their characters can rarely match with their male counterparts. And they are quite successful in objectifying them because many women is willing to submit and this view now dominates the population.

But Summer is an exception. With her strong personality and unrivaled talent she managed to break through this. She remained a person, more , a person who is worthy of respect and gave us characters who are beating every character we've ever seen both male and female.

I can't see her just as a beautiful woman, I see her as a strong, talented master artist who -instead of the bearded sage type figure- just happens to appear in the form of a beautiful woman.

Of course there is in addition her beautiful personality, despite all her talent and fame she is still a humble and down to earth person, kind but very passionate on the other hand. I think this mixture of sweetness and innocence with strength and passion gives her this incredibly charming aura which we often describe and that makes her so captivating.

Of course I don't deny that Summer is beautiful physically too. She has a perfect, graceful body but even thats not the common type of sexy. She is cute like a little girl but sexy as a woman at the same time. This is mixed with her radiating smile and her inner beauty into a truly exceptional person worthy of admiration. I think the word which is the closest to describe this kind of beauty is "gorgeous" so I voted for that however I like Death Stars idea of "divine" as well. I think there is some kind of ethereal and beyond human feeling in the kind of beauty Summer has( TBH its hard to describe it especially in English for me) so "divine" is a good metaphor until I find a better term.

I don't think that using this metaphor is that much silly BTW. Just look at the amount of fanart which portrays Summer as an angel. The creators of those had the same feeling I think, they just used graphics instead of words to express this.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 01:38

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 01:48 | Message # 6
Group: Administrators
I'm glad to see that we're all on the same wave length smile

Also i wanted to show you a video filmed during the movie "Laid to Rest" premiere in Los Angeles on April 18, 2009, that illustrates perfectly our comments imo; the video features Summer Glau, Thomas Dekker and Bobbi Sue Luther, an actress of the horror movie itself.

See the difference between Summer's and Bobbi Sue's posing; while Summer has a confident but somewhat neutral posing, the other woman is clearly overdoing the smiles and poses.

What's your opinion? Do you share mine or am i biased?

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 01:49

AlexDate: Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 03:54 | Message # 7
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)

I share your opinion. Summer is always elegant, and she always seems to be in sync with and aware of everything going on around her. She effortlessly shifts her gaze in coordination with Thomas Dekker. She certainly doesn't look too happy when the other actress steps into it. Interestingly, she also directs Dekker into the centre. I get the sense that she likes to direct things - a take charge kind of person. I believe she said that she had taught dance to adults as a teenager. She seems to be quite comfortable taking responsibility for things. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if she ever wants to direct in the future?

I agree with the other comments so much that I can't think of anything to add other than to say that she seems to able to adjust her look at will. She can be wholesome and cute; she can appear sophisticated and elegant; she can be dangerous and menacing. So much of her appeal is wrapped up in her emotional and moving portrayals of characters that we have all come to admire and love. She really is a package deal: good looks, intelligence, talent, and so damn interesting to watch.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 11:40 | Message # 8
Quote (chrisdvanne)
See the difference between Summer's and Bobbi Sue's posing; while Summer has a confident but somewhat neutral posing, the other woman is clearly overdoing the smiles and poses.

The other one looks like somebody who is made of plastic for me while Summer feels like a real, breathing woman.

Quote (Alex)
I share your opinion. Summer is always elegant, and she always seems to be in sync with and aware of everything going on around her.

I've noticed in other instances too BTW that Summer looks far more self aware than other people around her. She asserts her surroundings for example or has strong reactions to certain situations. Summers emotional state is a bit easy to measure. You can catch small expressions on her face especially if something unpleasant is happening to her. Intelligent people are more sensitive than people with lower intelligence so I think Summers highly reactive nature is the result of her intelligence and the self awareness which comes from it.

I think thats another reason why she is so selective about roles and how much skin she shows in photoshoots. An intelligent, sensitive person has always more self-respect and a stronger will so while others have no problem doing everything which is asked of them like puppets Summer has preferences and taboos which she'll never break because that'd offend her.

Of course thats not a very good thing in the industry. Hollywood wants plastic dummies who they do everything with as they please , not thinking, breathing people who talk back.

Thats why I'm convinced BTW that Summer made a hard choice in the beginning of her life. She didn't become an artist because she wasn't capable of doing anything else other than being a plastic dummy, but because she loved art enough to take that hard path. I'm eternally grateful that Summer made this choice and choose to give us her talent, I just hope she didn't regret it( not that there is anything to regret in the perfect, beautiful things she created of course but Summer herself doesn't seem to value her work as much as she should).

Quote (Alex)
Interestingly, she also directs Dekker into the centre. I get the sense that she likes to direct things - a take charge kind of person. I believe she said that she had taught dance to adults as a teenager. She seems to be quite comfortable taking responsibility for things. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if she ever wants to direct in the future?

I also agree with this. I've never bought that she is a fragile, damsel i distress type who needs control. A person with weak will could not shape such a career for herself to defy the common trend and still become successful. She enforces her moral code above all else and everybody who doesn't understand this is out regardless who he/she is. She is very much in control, more than her peers. Also its notable too how much she shapes her characters .

She can say that she needs much help from writers and directors but then why is that her characters are all bearing her unique style which is only apparent with her? Think about Cameron for example. I'm pretty sure that Cameron is a perfect character because of Summers influence and unique idea to play her in the mechanical way instead of the simple teenage girl method. A person who gives such ideas and makes a character so much her own is not somebody who needs much babysitting regardless of what she says IMO.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 13 Feb 2012, 11:45

KrelleKDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 07:37 | Message # 9
all of the above, and it seems also very friendly

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » How attractive is Summer?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: