menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » Who is your Firefly crush?
Who is your Firefly crush?
chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 21:49 | Message # 31
Group: Administrators
Of course the term is not appropriate; i recently showed pictures of Summer to a friend and he almost wouldn't believe me she was the same person in Firefly and TSCC. Indded, you can change in 6 or 7 years, that's perfectly normal.
As i said previously, i prefer the grown Summer Glau to the young one.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 21:55 | Message # 32
Group: Friends
I like both, but it makes more sense for me to like the way younger Summer looks more, that was when she was closer to my current age. I am sure once I am in my into my twenties my preference will change.

I think that the more and less mature looking Summer are very similar, not entirely different like your friend. It is almost as if I cannot pinpoint any difference at all, but still know it is there somewhere, if that makes any sense.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 22:31

termi-ninja-torDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 22:10 | Message # 33
Quote (FordStaff)
I disagree. Summer had lost all the "baby fat" she had in Serenity when she started TSCC and her face even matured between season 1 and season 2. Though it has never been a problem to me since i'm used to see 25 year old play teenagers in series.

I know what you speak of, but I am not certain "baby fat" is the best description. Looking at some pictures I have misspoken, still have not caught up on all the T:TSCC yet.

Here is River-

Here is Cameron-

There is certainly some change between these periods, River certainly looks younger, but I think it is more subtle than just losing baby fat.

May I suggest a second image of Summer as Cameron? The image below shows her face without battle damage prosthetics and other special effects makeup:

Of course, Cameron's mouth looks different from River's, but I can't really explain how it is different -- maybe smaller? or less full in the lips?

And the end of the nose looks quite different. Cameron's nose looks less bulbous, more "sculpted" in appearance. This is a "loss of baby fat" effect?

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 22:15

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011, 22:13 | Message # 34

May I suggest a second image of Summer as Cameron? The image below shows her face without battle damage prosthetics and other special effects makeup:

Yes good idea, The pictures I chose were just the best options in a very quick search.

Since the discussion is how well Summer could believably portray a teenager, perhaps it would be better if we get some out of character pictures during each separate time period -- before serenity and after. That way we are not biased by the make up and other such things.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 00:21 | Message # 35
Quote (XxDeathStarxX)
Well, I know that obviously. Hmm. I thought that the smiley would've made it clear that I was only joking, based on the fact that Summer was about 23 years old when they filmed Serenity. My joke included Simon messing up with her age. The point with that was that because River looked physically like a 23 years old girl (she must have, because the actress playing her was actually 23 years old ), Simon must have completely messed up with her age. I hope that cleared this up. I hope that my next joke will work better.

I like this idea! Then I don't feel guilty if I'm thinking about Serenity River as about a super hot warrior woman biggrin

Quote (chrisdvanne)
I disagree. Summer had lost all the "baby fat" she had in Serenity when she started TSCC and her face even matured between season 1 and season 2. Though it has never been a problem to me since i'm used to see 25 year old play teenagers in series.

I don't think she wasn't sell-able as a teenager during TSCC. Yes, she matured since Firefly but she still looked far younger than anybody in her age and combining that with her wardrobe and hairstyle which are designed after what a fashionable teenager would wear I didn't have to suspend disbelief to buy her as a teenager. There are teenagers who are looking more mature than they are anyway. Also, her tiny body makes her look less mature too.

Quote (FordStaff)
I like both, but it makes more sense for me to like the way younger Summer looks more, that was when she was closer to my current age. I am sure once I am in my into my twenties my preference will change.

I like the more mature Summer. I think part of the reasons I didn't think about River "that way" in Firefly was that she looked too childish for my taste. She was beautiful but she missed a certain hotness factor which she only gained during her mid twenties at best.

Quote (FordStaff)
I think that the more and less mature looking Summer are very similar, not entirely different like your friend. It is almost as if I cannot pinpoint any difference at all, but still know it is there somewhere, if that makes any sense.

From the above mentioned hotness factor there isn't really much difference I agree.

Quote (FordStaff)
Since the discussion is how well Summer could believably portray a teenager, perhaps it would be better if we get some out of character pictures during each separate time period -- before serenity and after. That way we are not biased by the make up and other such things.

I agree and I think River is more of a problem here than Cameron. River was dressed in Firefly with the intent to make an already very young looking Summer more childish. There is no makeup, her dress hides every womanly features she has unlike Camerons clothes which are supposed to highlight them more because of her eyecandy role( through still contributing to a more teen-ish look). Clearly its hard to separate what her own features solely contribute to the characters overall appearance.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:16 | Message # 36
Quote (Blazius)
she matured since Firefly but she still looked far younger than anybody in her age and combining that with her wardrobe and hairstyle which are designed after what a fashionable teenager would wear I didn't have to suspend disbelief to buy her as a teenager. There are teenagers who are looking more mature than they are anyway. Also, her tiny body makes her look less mature too.

I agree. In this interview taken during the production of Firefly (which I have posted here before -- apologies for the repetition -- but I think it is quite illustrative of the point), Summer seems like a teenager, although we know she is over 21 here.

Summer's Firefly Interview

It can be very hard to identify the age of young women. Here are two pics of young women:

Young looking enough to play a 15 year old companion to John Connor?

Young looking enough to play a 16 year old companion to John Connor?

Now my question is: Who is the youngest of the three?

Answers: As I mentioned, we know Summer was over 21 when the interview was made.
The second pic is Kendall Jenner (one of the Kardassian girls) at 15 years of age.
The third pic is Courtney Stodden (famous teenage bride) at age 16.

I think there is a broad range of "apparent" ages for young women. Just ask any high school teacher. Some mid-teens girls will look over 20 and others like Summer will look younger than their years.

My personal policy is to avoid assuming their ages, because I know that I am often wrong. I see Summer at age 23 and I cannot say that she might not be 17 because I know 17 year old girls who look much older. So again, Summer was credible to me as a 17 year old River in Serenity, even though she was 23 at the time.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:27

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:25 | Message # 37
I don't think she wasn't sell-able as a teenager during TSCC. Yes, she matured since Firefly but she still looked far younger than anybody in her age and combining that with her wardrobe and hairstyle which are designed after what a fashionable teenager would wear I didn't have to suspend disbelief to buy her as a teenager. There are teenagers who are looking more mature than they are anyway. Also, her tiny body makes her look less mature too.

Ok good then, thought I may have been off base. She looks considerably younger as River because she has a more mature look later on after Serenity, but she is still sell-able as a teen. A good test is to imagine myself in a class room (I am in college so this works for me) and to be looking around and see the character as a student. If I would question whether they should be there, that is the point they can not really play a teenager. Obviously this is not a perfect, just a quick litmus test. I would say that when they dress her up Summer passes that test at least in T:TSCC, not really anymore though.

I like the more mature Summer. I think part of the reasons I didn't think about River "that way" in Firefly was that she looked too childish for my taste. She was beautiful but she missed a certain hotness factor which she only gained during her mid twenties at best.

Part of the reason you did not think of River "that way" is because the character was never used as a sex object, Cameron on the other hand is literally designed in the context of the show in part to be a sex object (at least from what I remember there was off hand comments that attraction to Cameron was an intentional affect) - Cameron is also used as eye candy for meta purposes.

I am not disagreeing that Summer has a "hotter" look with her maturity, but River could definitely have been portrayed as hot if they had tried. They did their job right because everyone feels bad thinking of River in a sexual way, even I do and I am only 2 years older than the character. This was intentional, she was portrayed as a child, in looks and actions. Which all falls in line with the birth metaphor with River's character development and all. At the end of Serenity is when she becomes an adult, had the series continued from this point River would likely be portrayed as less child like.

I agree and I think River is more of a problem here than Cameron. River was dressed in Firefly with the intent to make an already very young looking Summer more childish. There is no makeup, her dress hides every womanly features she has unlike Camerons clothes which are supposed to highlight them more because of her eyecandy role( through still contributing to a more teen-ish look). Clearly its hard to separate what her own features solely contribute to the characters overall appearance.

It is for these reasons if we want to see the progression of Summers looks, using in character pictures is not the best idea. Cameron's role as eye candy (River never fulfilled this), would accentuate the need to highlight the mature features of Summer Glau. Not a fair comparison.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:38 | Message # 38
Exactly my point @termi-ninja-tor!

I can't even tell you how many times I misjudged a girls age based on her looks. And you illustrate the problem very nicely.

Its arguable that based solely on appearance Summer looked the youngest of the three even without tricks they used on her when she played River and Cameron.

I'd say that even now as a 30 years old woman she could still look far younger than them if she wanted, for a role or just because she wants to hit on a younger dude biggrin

Also her relatively high pitched voice is another factor I think which contributes to her childish image.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:48 | Message # 39
Quote (FordStaff)
Part of the reason you did not think of River "that way" is because the character was never used as a sex object, Cameron on the other hand is literally designed in the context of the show in part to be a sex object (at least from what I remember there was off hand comments that attraction to Cameron was an intentional affect) - Cameron is also used as eye candy for meta purposes.

I am not disagreeing that Summer has a "hotter" look with her maturity, but River could definitely have been portrayed as hot if they had tried. They did their job right because everyone feels bad thinking of River in a sexual way, even I do and I am only 2 years older than the character. This was intentional, she was portrayed as a child, in looks and actions. Which all falls in line with the birth metaphor with River's character development and all. At the end of Serenity is when she becomes an adult, had the series continued from this point River would likely be portrayed as less child like.

Yes but I doubt that it would have been that easy to achieve sexual neutrality with a Pamela Anderson like actress for example.

BTW Summer luckily has such a versatility even in this regard that she has no problem looking like a childish below mature aged girl and an absolutely stunning super hot woman. She just has the body for both purposes. Isn't even that amazing?

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:54 | Message # 40
I'd say that even now as a 30 years old woman she could still look far younger than them if she wanted, for a role or just because she wants to hit on a younger dude

I know this is a joke, but Summer would never need to pretend to be younger out of role. Most of us younger guys would be perfectly fine with Summer hitting on us. It is not as if she would even be considered a cougar at this point if she wanted twenty year olds would she? I do not know the conventions, but I am pretty sure someone needs to be at least in their very late thirties before being cougar material, so it is not as if there is shame in it (not that cougars ought to have shame necessarily). Unless your talking really young 18 and below or something.

Yes but I doubt that it would have been that easy to achieve sexual neutrality with a Pamela Anderson like actress for example.

As I said they did a good job. Everything comes together to make River childlike and it works, from Summer's acting, to the writing, to the wardrobe. Summer has a more child like look than other actresses too, so that also helps. That is not an insult some of the hottest actresses can look very child like too, Alison Brie from Community is a good example.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 01:58

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:01 | Message # 41
Quote (FordStaff)

Here's a pic of Summer as Mandy Cooper in a CSI episode which aired in 2004, after Firefly's last airing in 2003 but before Serenity was released in 2005:
CSI

Here's a pic of Summer as Jack Abernathy in Mammoth, a movie which was released in 2006, a year after Serenity in 2005.
Mammoth

Sorry but these are not "out of character" pics. Perhaps someone else can select some "out of character" pics from her visits to the Cons or other star appearances?

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:12

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:16 | Message # 42
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Here's a pic of Summer as Mandy Cooper in a CSI episode which aired in 2004, after Firefly's last airing in 2003 but before Serenity was released in 2005.
[img]http://photos.summer-glau.com/displayimage.php?pid=21815&fullsize=1[/img]

Here's a pic of Summer as Jack Abernathy in Mammoth, a movie which was released in 2006, a year after Serenity in 2005.
[img]http://photos.summer-glau.com/displayimage.php?pid=7538&fullsize=1[/img]

An advice: When you want to embed an image with the [IMG] trick use the url which you get by right clicking on the image then clicking on something like " copy image url". That way you obtain the real url of the image. The one it displays when you just click on the image in the gallery is not the real url of the image apparently.

It should look like this with the one with Jack: [img]http://photos.summer-glau.com/albums/160793/9177914.jpg[/img with a ] in the end obviously.

Just an advice because thats how I can get it to work always smile

EDIT: Never mind, you fixed it as I see. Well at least if anyone has a question regarding image embedding, he/she can find answers in my post biggrin

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:19

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:23 | Message # 43
Perhaps someone else can select some "out of character" pics from her visits to the Cons or other star appearances?

I know I am the local thread derailer and surely started this all, but it may be time to give this topic its own thread rather than continue mucking up other threads with it (this is not the first time such a discussion has popped up), I will do that later after my test if no one else does, and we can search for such pictures in the new thread. A comparison of the more mature Summer and less mature Summer.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:25 | Message # 44
Quote (FordStaff)
I know this is a joke, but Summer would never need to pretend to be younger out of role. Most of us younger guys would be perfectly fine with Summer hitting on us. It is not as if she would even be considered a cougar at this point if she wanted twenty year olds would she? I do not know the conventions, but I am pretty sure someone needs to be at least in their very late thirties before being cougar material, so it is not as if there is shame in it (not that cougars ought to have shame necessarily). Unless your talking really young 18 and below or something.

What if she finds a handsome 18 years old she really wants to be with biggrin ?

Well, you may be right that Summer would likely be a dream girlfriend for every adult male regardless of age. And no, 30 is definitely not that old that she'd have to feel bad about being with somebody in his twenties.

Quote (FordStaff)
That is not an insult some of the hottest actresses can look very child like too, Alison Brie from Community is a good example.

Yes but judging from the image she still stinks more as a young girl than Summer playing River at least in my opinion.

Quote (FordStaff)
I know I am the local thread derailer and surely started this all, but it may be time to give this topic its own thread rather than continue mucking up other threads with it (this is not the first time such a discussion has popped up), I will do that later after my test if no one else does, and we can search for such pictures in the new thread. A comparison of the more mature Summer and less mature Summer.

Maybe, but given the sheer amount of threads each of us mess up daily with offtopic discussions this one hardly is a big deal IMO smile

Still if its one less messed up threads lefts its all the better I guess.

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:32

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 02:35 | Message # 45

What if she finds a handsome 18 years old she really wants to be with ?

Well in the states that is perfectly legal, so she can go right on ahead. I am sure this 18 year old will be perfectly fine with it too. cool (I am not really sure if this is the appropriate smiley, just trying to indicate my sarcasm more clearly)
And no, 30 is definitely not that old that she'd have to feel bad about being with somebody in his twenties.

Ideally, people should only feel bad about relationships if it is with someone who is mentally incontinent or something of similar magnitude, I could care less if someone is a half century old and still tries to get it on with some of the twenty year olds. I do not judge. (well okay that is pushing it, as I said "ideally" it should not matter biggrin )

Maybe, but given the sheer amount of threads each of us mess up daily with offtopic discussions this one hardly is a big deal IMO smile

Still if its one less messed up threads lefts its all the better I guess.

Well in this case though this topic has been discussed in multiple threads so there should be enough interest to justify its own thread for discussion, perhaps just a general purpose discussion of Summers looks (sounds really vain now that I type it).

Yes but judging from the image she still stinks more as a young girl than Summer playing River at least in my opinion.

I agree with that opinion too, but Summer is probably the best for looking child like and young. Alison Brie is just a quick example I can think of, but I think it works, she is much like Summer in that she can seem and look child like, yet also be a sexy woman.

Her character though childlike in Community gets an entirely different treatment than River in Firefly, despite them filling essentially the same roles in the ensemble cast (demographic wise, not functionally - none of the characters in Community match River lol). Allison's character is one of the most sexualized on the show despite being the uptight and young (18-20) character, very unlike River's portrayal. They are so obsessed with her boobs that they named a monkey within the show "Annies Boobs" (Annie is Alison's character). Pretty strange, she is an example of how you can have a young character who is child like, but also be of sexual interest from within and without the show.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 05:39

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » Who is your Firefly crush?
Search: