[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 512345»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » Who is your Firefly crush?
Who is your Firefly crush?
chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 17:32 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
German website moviepilot has published an article and its attached poll about Firefly's characters; the readers are invited to vote for the Firefly character they have a crush on.

Who is your Firefly crush?

The article itself includes a description of the serie and a glance at each character.

Original article at moviepilot, where you can vote for your Firefly crush.

Google translation of the page in German (i could vote at the original page only).

The results so far :

Wer ist Dein Serienherzblatt aus Firefly?

Kaylee Frye (Jewel Staite) (32%, 30 Stimmen)
Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) (31%, 29 Stimmen)
River Tam (Summer Glau) (10%, 9 Stimmen)
Jayne Cobb (Adam Baldwin) (10%, 9 Stimmen)
Hoban Washburne (Alan Tudyk) (8%, 7 Stimmen)
Inara Serra (Morena Baccarin) (5%, 5 Stimmen)
Dr. Simon Tam (Sean Maher) (3%, 3 Stimmen)
Shepherd Book (Ron Glass) (1%, 1 Stimmen)
Zoe Washburne (Gina Torres) (0%, 0 Stimmen)
ein anderer (0%, 0 Stimmen)

Wahlbeteiligte insgesamt: 93

Unsere zahlreiche German Mittglieder können natürlich ein Kommentar dabei schreiben.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 22:25 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
Zoe Washburne (Gina Torres) (0%, 0 Stimmen)

Apparently no one likes Warrior Women, even the old man is getting more action. Perhaps it is because Zoe is the most intimidating member of the crew. (except angry Mal)

Interesting that there is about equal amount of votes for women as men. Firefly has a very well balanced cast on many spectrum's. (except good looks, there is plenty of that everywhere biggrin )

Who was your vote?

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 03 Dec 2011, 22:30

FermiDate: Sunday, 04 Dec 2011, 01:02 | Message # 3
Quote (FordStaff)
Who was your vote?

I have not decided yet maybe Kaylee Frye (the geek-girl) or Inara (the hot girl). I not so into the warrior girl and River is the crazy girl.

If the question was "who was your favorite character" instead, I would have voted for River.

You can't stop the signal!

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 04 Dec 2011, 01:30 | Message # 4
I would not go for Inara, she is a pompous over glamorized space whore. My least favorite character, not that she was bad, but everyone else is better.

Kaylee seems like she would be annoying with the way she rides Simon for his mistakes, although he deserved it sometimes, but other times she just seemed like a bitch to him.

River is crazy and really young (I am only 19 though so it wouldn't be as creepy age wise as for the rest of the cast).

Oddly enough I would say Zoe would be the best, she never was unreasonable or annoying to Wash. In fact Zoe is the least problematic member of the cast, she did not step on anyone's toes from what I remember - except Mal's.

If the question was "who was your favorite character" instead, I would have voted for River.

A far easier question to answer.

Nomad79Date: Sunday, 04 Dec 2011, 21:09 | Message # 5
I'd have to go for River, hands down. Not because Summer played her so well, but for the reason she seemed like someone that could be well interesting to be around with.

The1RussterDate: Sunday, 04 Dec 2011, 23:12 | Message # 6
Group: Writer
I'm a guy so I'm going to keep my Firefly crush directed at one of the women. I'm probably going to ever intellectualize this, so I'll start off and say Kaylee. Why? I thought she was sweet, heart of gold, kind of girl. She also had strong feelings of loyalty to her friends and her fellow crew members. Kaylee had this desperate quality about her, the way she lusted after Simon all the time and he never seemed to realize it. Kaylee wants to be loved, and almost more than that, wants something between her nethers that doesn't run on batteries.

Why not the others? (Here comes the over intellectualizing. Read on only if you dare.)

There were four women on the good ship Serenity. Kaylee Frye (Jewel Staite), River Tam (Summer Glau), Inara Serra (Morena Baccarin), and Zoe Washburne (Gina Torres).

River Tam was a teenager, that automatically put her out of the running. Sure Summer was in her 20's but we are talking characters not actors. River had a fragile quality you wanted to protect, she exhibited strange insight that caused both wonderment and fear in others. She proved to be better than any of them in a fight. She exhibited a child like quality but gradually matured as the show progressed. IN a few years when River matured, I think sher would be an awesome woman. A force to be reckoned with in that corner of the galaxy. And if that version of River existed, I'd pick her.

Inara, definitely an attractive woman. A very attractive woman. A trained companion, more commonly known as a prostitute, but definitely with a greater job description than a common place whore. You walk into any function with her on your arm and you'd put every man to shame with what they dragged to the ball. However, there was definitely chemistry between her and Mal. Neither one could get entangled with the opposite sex without the others hackles raising. I would think an evening or night with Inara would probably change my life and my view of women forever, but truth be told, no matter whom she was with, her heart belongs to Mal.

Zoe Washburn, first of all, she's married and very happily to Wash. She's hot with curves that put a Corvette Stingray to shame. She's a serious person but not w/o humor, strong, best person to have with you in a fight. Why she with Wash? I think she married him cuz he brings laughter and sensitivity to the relationship. Face, it Zoe wears the pants in that relationship and would in any relationship.

That's my opinion. They are all attractive women and each character had a distinctiveness that made them stand out from each other and a lot of other women on television. Given different circumstances in my life, who knows I could pick any of the others, but for now my crush is on Kaylee. I thought she was sweet and lovely.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

FordStaffDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 00:01 | Message # 7
I'd have to go for River, hands down. Not because Summer played her so well, but for the reason she seemed like someone that could be well interesting to be around with.

Jayne got to see just how interesting multiple times. In real life having someone waving around a gun and cutting people up seemingly unprovoked, would be pretty damn scary when your stuck in a confined space with them (even the fictional crew of bad-asses was scared). That is not even counting the mind reading, which is an entirely different problem. River would be interesting even without the mind reading and craziness - she was shown to be goofy in the flash backs when young, and during lucid periods she is still quite strange. There really is no choice from within the crew that would not be interesting to be around. To be fair, I am undecided between River and Zoe, but I thought I should point out that River's type of interesting is scary stuff.

Kaylee had this desperate quality about her, the way she lusted after Simon all the time and he never seemed to realize it. Kaylee wants to be loved

This is why I found her to be annoying when it came to Simon. She makes it clear that she wants him, yet every-time he screws up getting close to her she loves to sabotage any progress in their relationship by riding him about it. Despite the fact that everyone knows Simon is a dumb-ass in these situations including Kaylee, why can't she just let things go once in a while?

I would understand with some of the things like in "Safe" when Simon is an ungrateful dick about his current living situation, and insults their way of life (and the ship, an obvious no-no). Other times though it was just him being stupid with his social skills, not him being an arrogant prick, there is a vast difference. He is the single person on the crew who has made the most intentional sacrifices, him being a bit upset about his new living situation is understandable. He was still an ungrateful bitch for a bit of the show, but not everyone is perfect - his life is the most messed up on the crew at this point so a little slack is not uncalled for (besides River obviously).

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 01:41

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 01:31 | Message # 8
I have never hide the fact that i was a shipper; it dates back to the 80's serie Moonlighting starring Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd. Since then i have always looked for the shipper element in the series i watched : one could say i had a crush for the female of the ship (it was definitively the case for Cybill Sheperd in Moonlighting but not really for Sarah Michelle Gellar in Buffy or Kristin Kreuk in Smallville though).

But i have not found it in Firefly : Mal/Inara was not an engaging "couple" for me, nor was Simon/Kaylee for the reasons mentioned by FordStaff. I was surprised to see that fans shipped other characters as you mentioned in another thread.

This is why i'm not able to give a sincere answer to the question asked by the German site; in such cases, my loyalty goes to Summer Glau and i blindly vote for her (or the character she plays), even if she's not my first choice.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 01:57 | Message # 9
Results so far :

River Tam (Summer Glau) (28%, 79 Stimmen)
Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) (26%, 72 Stimmen)
Kaylee Frye (Jewel Staite) (25%, 71 Stimmen)
Jayne Cobb (Adam Baldwin) (9%, 25 Stimmen)
Inara Serra (Morena Baccarin) (5%, 14 Stimmen)
Hoban Washburne (Alan Tudyk) (5%, 14 Stimmen)
Dr. Simon Tam (Sean Maher) (1%, 4 Stimmen)
Shepherd Book (Ron Glass) (1%, 2 Stimmen)
Zoe Washburne (Gina Torres) (0%, 1 Stimmen)
ein anderer (0%, 0 Stimmen)

Wahlbeteiligte insgesamt: 282

FordStaffDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 01:59 | Message # 10
I have never hide the fact that i was a shipper

I think anyone that partakes in fictional universes will have to be a shipper to some extent if they care at all. The consequences can have big effects on the story, and if nothing else at the very least will drastically effect the characters and their interactions.

Even though I bashed Kaylee in my post, I was perfectly fine with a Simon/Kaylee pairing so long as Kaylee was shown in a less sympathetic light once in a while too (we were suppose to be on her side, but I did not buy it - half the time she just seemed like an oversensitive bitch). It is the paring that makes the most sense really, at least out of non pre-established ones like - Mal/Inara and Wash/Zoe. Pairing and shipping should just not go to far, it should not be the forefront of a story, it should be an added bonus that naturally grows from the story. For instance I would be pretty upset if they paired up the odd ends - Jayne/River - just for the sake of it.

But i have not found it in Firefly : Mal/Inara was not an engaging "couple" for me, nor was Simon/Kaylee for the reasons mentioned by FordStaff. I was surprised to see that fans shipped other characters as you mentioned in another thread.

Firefly is a very friendly series for shippers, with all the sub-text between characters, and the large very good looking ensemble cast. Still pretty creepy when the most shipped character is a mentally unstable 17 year old girl in a cast that has an average age above thirty. It seems that Summer Glau characters in general are heavily shipped regardless of any sense in the matter (I wonder why biggrin ). It was cool that Firefly had a pre-existing strong relationship, I have yet to see that in any other ensemble cast shows.

This is why i'm not able to give a sincere answer to the question asked by the German site; in such cases, my loyalty goes to Summer Glau and i blindly vote for her (or the character she plays), even if she's not my first choice.

So what is your first choice, if you do not mind my inquiry?

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 02:02

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 02:20 | Message # 11
Quote (FordStaff)
So what is your first choice, if you do not mind my inquiry?

Even if i said Mal/Inara ship did not appeal that much to me, it's definitively the main pairing, including the main character of the serie (Mal) : i have always preferred the main characters pairing on a serie (did not care for Cordelia or Willow or Xander loves interests in Buffy or for Chloe's in Smallville for example). More, the relationship between Mal and Inara had that mystery and uncertainty that makes interesting stories.
For these reasons, my first choice would have been Inara.

FordStaffDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 02:29 | Message # 12
For these reasons, my first choice would have been Inara.

So Inara would be your firefly crush? If so I am confused as to your justification, unless your saying that whoever is shipped/paired with the main character is going to be your crush in a fictional work.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 02:49 | Message # 13
Quote (FordStaff)
your saying that whoever is shipped/paired with the main character is going to be your crush in a fictional work.

That's what i've experienced in series i liked and watched (not especially "live" btw) like Buffy, Smallville or TSCC; yet my crush for Buffy or Kristin Kreuk was really small compared to Cameron's. Also i watched Firefly after TSCC and mostly for Summer Glau.
If my explanations seem confuse to you it's because as i said i've no crush for a female character on Firefly and i tried to figure out what would have been my "normal" crush.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 02:50

FordStaffDate: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 03:05 | Message # 14
as i said i've no crush for a female character on Firefly and i tried to figure out what would have been my "normal" crush.

Ah I see, I am in the same boat. I want to say River by instinct, but that just does not seem right to me.

Fox012Date: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 03:19 | Message # 15

WTF?

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » Who is your Firefly crush?
Page 1 of 512345»
Search: