menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » SFX Top 25 Sci-Fi Icons
SFX Top 25 Sci-Fi Icons
chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 14:30 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century

SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century contest ran in April 2011 and a special issue of SFX magazine published the results.
See the SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century - UHQ Pics thread, in the forum.

If you remember correctly, Summer Glau had two entries :

Cameron Phillips at rank #16

SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st CenturySFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century

River Tam at rank #11

SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st CenturySFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century

Now that the SFX Collector's Edition is not on the stands anymore, SFX UK is republishing in its website the top 25, consisting of a picture and the attached comment.

16. Cameron

The killer robot it’s okay to fancy

The killer robot it’s okay to fancy

A nice Terminator. It shouldn’t have worked the first time around with Arnie in T2. The fact that it did again with Cameron in The Sarah Connor Chronicles was nothing short of a miracle, and almost entirely down to Summer Glau’s performance. The ex-River Tam may have form playing kooky, spooky, secretly rock-hard characters, but it was still a surprise just how well she pulled off the “killer cyborg from the future” shtick. In retrospect, it shouldn’t have been. The original concept for the Terminator was that it would blend in perfectly and in that, Cameron succeeds, being neither Arnie, nor a ridiculous caricature of femininity like the “Terminatrix” in T3. There are no inflatable boobs or minigun hands here – just a woman who appears delicate, but is actually insanely powerful. Mind you, that same power came with some interesting loopholes. Like when Cameron was damaged in season two, and started trying to kill John, rather than protect him… Pleasingly, while taking the character along the same “implacable robot finds a heart” path that Data trod in Star Trek: The Next Generation, the show’s producers never forgot that Cameron could be as much a threat as she was a protector.

11 River Tam

Mystery girl

Mystery girl

Much of River Tam’s appeal can be explained by the fact that: a) she’s one of Whedon’s trademark kick-ass femmes and b) she’s played by every sci-fi geek’s favourite actress, Summer Glau. But River’s got a lot going for her in her own right – an awesome name for starters, a wide-eyed hippy vibe and an air of mystery hiding big, big secrets beneath the surface.

Before being rescued by her brother Simon, River was the subject of an Alliance experiment to create an army of psychic super-soldiers. The experiments worked, but it wasn’t until River’s suppressed abilities were triggered that we saw her true potential. Fragile, yes, but an angel of death capable of laying waste to a room full of the ’verse’s most feared foes with a balletic mix of martial arts, kickboxing and a very big sword.

Firefly’s tragically short lifespan meant there wasn’t enough time for River to etch herself into mainstream consciousness as Buffy did, but from her first moments River was every bit as arresting. She’s adorable, sweet, a total whack-attack and has a knack for the scene-stealing one-liner – calmly announcing she’ll kill Jayne with her brain if he betrays her ever again. Undoubtedly Glau’s greatest role, and in many ways Firefly’s secret weapon.

Source : Top 25 Sci-Fantasy Icons Of The 21st Century at SFX UK

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Oct 2011, 14:51 | Message # 2
Summer Glau (River Tam at #11 and Cameron Phillips at #16) and James Marsters (Spike at #5 and John Hart at #86) were the only actors who had two entries in the Top 100; which leaves Summer Glau the only one who has two entries in the Top 25.
Huzzah for Summer!

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 11:54 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
I am somewhat skeptical that the firefly members' placements are really representative (not that I am complaining biggrin ). Cameron will be more iconic than River and I think that the zealous nature of Browncoats is the main reason for the prevalence of firefly characters. Are T:TSCC fans as zealous as firefly fans? Even Cameron I do not believe will keep as strong of a placement as currently. Firefly and T:SCC are just not known enough to generate icons.

This is very unfortunate considering both shows have some of the best characters to come from SF who definitely deserve to be icons. Realistically the best to hope for is that the characters will be in the consciousness of the SF genre in any form at all in the future. I really hope my judgement is wrong in this department. Perhaps the SF genre has more fans who appreciate lesser known works enough to keep them relevant, but that is likely to be just fanciful thinking.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 11:58

KrelleKDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 17:07 | Message # 4
who was else on the line up if i may ask? any of the other Firefly women?

i guess Ellen Riplay from Aliens was there somewhere

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 17:33 | Message # 5
I have given the complete results at SFX Top 100 Sci-Fi Icons of the 21st Century - UHQ Pics.

Im' afraid nor Ellen Ripley, nor other Friefly women made the list (unless i missed her names).

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, 23:10 | Message # 6
Kara Thrace should not be in top ten. For that matter neither should any of the Torchwood guys, or even Harry Potter. When you have Icons such as Batman and Captain Kirk above these people in the list there is something messed up. Captain Kirk is practically his own character archetype at this point, and Batman is the epitome of bad-ass normals everywhere.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 01:44 | Message # 7
Quote (Blazius)
Considering the weirdness of this entire list Cameron or River could very well be the winners.

Seriously this list is so weird that the results are almost irrelevant. Jayne Cobb beat Batman?

Harry Potter beat Gandalf? And I don't have problems with Mal, but I'm pretty sure that he isn't the biggest sci-fi icon when Captain Kirk is around for example.

1. Cameron Phillips
2. River Tam
3. Darth Vader

This would sound more appropriate I think

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 02:02 | Message # 8
And I don't have problems with Mal, but I'm pretty sure that he isn't the biggest sci-fi icon when Captain Kirk is around for example.

Definitely true, not that I am complaining biggrin . Mal should not be any higher than the character that solidified the archetype he falls within (Han Solo). Personally I prefer Mal to Han though.

A lot of the rankings are seriously messed up. Kara Thrace is more iconic than Spider Man, Darth Vader, Picard and fucking Indiana Jones ??!??! Batman, Darth Vader, Spider Man, and Batman should be in the top ten no question. (and yes Batman is there twice, he is iconic enough to take two spots in the top ten)

To be honest River and Cameron are sitting too high on the list also. Let me explain that if it was up to me they would be fairly high, but iconicness has more to do with recognizably to the masses than anything else.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 02:04

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:06 | Message # 9
Quote (FordStaff)
Definitely true, not that I am complaining . Mal should not be any higher than the character that solidified the archetype he falls within (Han Solo). Personally I prefer Mal to Han though.

A lot of the rankings are seriously messed up. Kara Thrace is more iconic than Spider Man, Darth Vader, Picard and fucking Indiana Jones ??!??! Batman, Darth Vader, Spider Man, and Batman should be in the top ten no question. (and yes Batman is there twice, he is iconic enough to take two spots in the top ten)

To be honest River and Cameron are sitting too high on the list also. Let me explain that if it was up to me they would be fairly high, but iconicness has more to do with recognizably to the masses than anything else.

In my opinion the whole idea of the contest is messed up BTW.

Its evident that the more older characters should automatically win, on which the newer are based on in the first place. And that they didn't win is just merely blind fanboy/girl-ism. They just aren't in the same category in iconicness. Maybe if it was trully only the contest between sci-fis made from 2000 for example it'd make far more sense.

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:14 | Message # 10
Maybe if it was trully only the contest between sci-fis made from 2000 for example it'd make far more sense.

Then the results would be drastically different. It is a biased poll due to the self selection, so the results are not expected to be objective or anything, but the voting clearly was not for iconicness for the most part.

A better poll would be who are the best characters, because then the ranking might make a little more sense. I would not put River or Cameron very high in iconic status, but in terms of how interesting the character is they would rank fairly high.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:38 | Message # 11
Quote (FordStaff)
Then the results would be drastically different. It is a biased poll due to the self selection, so the results are not expected to be objective or anything, but the voting clearly was not for iconicness for the most part.

A better poll would be who are the best characters, because then the ranking might make a little more sense. I would not put River or Cameron very high in iconic status, but in terms of how interesting the character is they would rank fairly high.

Yes, that'd be far less trivial and Summer characters would deserve a very high position. Not that fanboy/girl-ism wouldn't influence it still but at least the contest itself would be fair.

FordStaffDate: Monday, 14 Nov 2011, 03:50 | Message # 12
Yes, that'd be far less trivial and Summer characters would deserve a very high position. Not that fanboy/girl-ism wouldn't influence it still but at least the contest itself would be fair.

Even more fair would just be a selection of favorite characters from Science Fiction, that way it could be entirely subjective and any results could not be considered invalid. That would be a hard personal list to make now that I am thinking of it. I am not sure where Rivers characters would fall on mine. I know they would be top 25% for sure, but beyond that it gets a little gritty.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » SFX Top 25 Sci-Fi Icons
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: