menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » 2011 Portal Awards | Summer Glau runs for Best Actress on TV
2011 Portal Awards | Summer Glau runs for Best Actress on TV
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Friday, 10 Jun 2011 - 07:21
Group: Administrators
Sci-fi and fantasy website Airlock Alpha has announced the 2011 Portal Awards nominees; Summer is nominated in the BEST ACTRESS/Television category for her role on "The Cape".
Voting for the awards runs on the Airlock Alpha website from June 25 to July 26, 2011.

The rules are the following : one vote per email address per calendar day.
Notice you need to vote at least in 9 categories to register your vote.

DIRECT LINK TO VOTING : 2011 Portal Awards ballot

The winners will be announced in August.

BEST ACTRESS/Television
Karen Gillan, "Doctor Who"
Summer Glau, "The Cape"
Lena Headey, "Game of Thrones"
Paula Malcomson, "Caprica"
Anna Torv, "Fringe"

See all the nominees in all categories including 15 television shows, five movies and others names in the genre competing for the 12th installment of the awards :
'Game Of Thrones,' 'Fringe' Lead 2011 Portal Awards at Airlock Alpha

More informations about the voting : Voting Begins In 2011 Airlock Alpha Portal Awards at Airlock Alpha

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 26 Jun 2011, 14:21

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Friday, 10 Jun 2011 - 07:52
Just a reminder :
Summer Glau and Thomas Dekker won a Portal Award in year 2009 respectively for BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS/Television and BEST YOUNG ACTOR/Television for their roles on Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

But it will be much more difficult this year for Summer because she is nominated in the top category ( not supporting one) this year and "Doctor Who" fans have proven to be tough competitors in the past.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 16:11
Some may be surprised to see Summer Glau listed on the Best Actress/television category of the Portal Awards 2011 for her role on "The Cape".

Indeed the critics for the serie itself were mixed for the least which should not encourage nominations of actors from this particular serie. "The Cape" scored a 54/100 on Metacritics for example whereas a similar show like "No Ordinary Family" scored a 65/100.

Summer's performance itself was received half-heartedly by the different columnist on the web ( i watched a lot of articles, reviews, fan boards and comments when writing for the wiki about The Cape, so that i have a fairly good vision how she was perceived). Even fans of Summer were disapointed by her lack of presence on the show and the poor lines she had so that she was a character with potential but never really engaging.

Orwell was clearly underused during the first half of the season (reminds me of Cameron on TSCC season 2); more, NBC cut in episode order from 13 to 10 did not let us a chance to see the character development outlined on the Orwell-centric last episodes.

Obviously, The Cape did not pay homage to Summer's great talent and Orwell won't be as iconic as River Tam or Cameron. Then why is Summer Glau listed in the top 5 best actress?

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 11 Jun 2011, 16:44

Blazius Post # 4 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 16:28
Group: Friends
This surprised me too! Orwell is clearly not one of Summers best characters. I think the only rational explanation and the only hope for Summer to win would be if the critics were rate actresses only by the technical aspects of performance. The technical aspect is one of the fields where Summer is unbeatable IMHO. I mean the writing of the character and her lines were awful as hell but Summer has done everything she could to play her perfectly. So if she played an awful character in the best possible way the actress can still be rated high, only the writers should be rated low.I hope this is the case here.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 5 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 16:28
Let me explain :

Airlock Alpha has a nominating committee composed by members of the staff and selected members of the site (could be you and me). They open up the committee to new members every year but not everyone gets in : they're looking for "willingness to participate in great conversations and diversity".
Of course, if all the members of The Summer Glau Wiki were on the committee, it would be biased in favor of Summer Glau.

Many websites use the following nomination system : each member of the committee write a list of 5 names or more. Then all lists are collected and then, for each single list, the name on the top receive 5 points, the second name receive 4 points and so on. At the end, the 5 persons with the most points are nominated.
Airlock Alpha uses a particular weighted system of their own though, but you have the basics.

This year, 16 actresses received at least one vote from the nominating committee; Summer Glau beat Joanne Kelly, from "Warehouse 13", by one point for the 5th and last slot. Notice that it means Summer was not among the favorites of the committee but at the end she has the right to compete just like every other nominee, the voters (you and me) will make the difference.

I hope i was clear enough and that it will answer the questions some may have (without daring asking biggrin ).

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 11 Jun 2011, 16:45

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 16:35
Quote (Blazius)
This surprised me too! Orwell is clearly not one of Summers best characters. I think the only rational explanation and the only hope for Summer to win would be if the critics were rate actresses only by the technical aspects of performance. The technical aspect is one of the fields where Summer is unbeatable IMHO. I mean the writing of the character and her lines were awful as hell but Summer has done everything she could to play her perfectly. So if she played an awful character in the best possible way the actress can still be rated high, only the writers should be rated low.I hope this is the case here.

We were typing at the same time so that i did not saw your comment; i hope my explanations satisfy you. I don't know what you mean by "the only hope for Summer to win".
If you mean "hope to be on the list" then you're right, the committee select the acting performance and not the show itself on the Best Actress category.
But if you mean "the only hope to win the Best Actress Award" then you're wrong : as i explained previously only the votes of the readers, starting on 25th of June, will decide.
This is a nominating committee, not a voting committe like the Hugo Awards or the Emmy Awards.

the actress can still be rated high

As i reveal previously, Summer beat Joanne Kelly by one vote only and for the 5th slot only, whereas 16 actresses were nominated. The important thing is to be part of the top 5.

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 12 Jun 2011, 08:55

TheSavior Post # 7 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 16:37
Hope she will win something like that but not for Orwell role.
She deserve to be remember for something more fitting his great acting talent.
Orwell was a character with a potential and in some way was maybe very near to Summer in some things…Shy…Intelligent and Sweet and Bitter at the same time. Summer played it so good that also with just 10 episodes, we all know who is Orwell and how is his tempter.
After “The Leech” Summer was starting to show the very inner feelings of that charater.
Awesome how she can make “live” every one thing she touch.
But i will definetly hope she will get something better in the future.
Maybe something that have to do with my Boss plan XD we will see

"This isn't the first time we've done this..."
Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

chrisdvanne_ Post # 8 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 19:19
This is what Ann Morris, one of the staff member, said about the nominations :
The “Best Actress in a Television Series” is a different story. “Game of Thrones” has some really juicy roles for women and there are several other series that have good female lead characters

Obviously she supported Lena Headey in Game of Thrones. GoT seems to have a lot of support on this site but will it be enough to win the Portal this year?
Site founder Michael Hinman recognize that new shows typically don't win because it needs to have a dedicated fan base. Like Summer's fanbase maybe.

Devo Post # 9 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 19:32
Quote (michelangelo)
This is what Ann Morris, one of the staff member, said about the nominations : QuoteThe “Best Actress in a Television Series” is a different story. “Game of Thrones” has some really juicy roles for women and there are several other series that have good female lead characters Obviously she supported Lena Headey in Game of Thrones. GoT seems to have a lot of support on this site but will it be enough to win the Portal this year? Site founder Michael Hinman recognize that new shows typically don't win because it needs to have a dedicated fan base. Like Summer's fanbase maybe.

Yes, if you are talking dedication and devotion, Summer's fanbase is probably one of the most hardcore.

I think Justin Bieber has probably the most insane fanbase and Gaga has the largest, but they're not competing so tongue

TheSavior Post # 10 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 20:45
mmm sure you guys are very funny and gorgeous! i was undeed wondering about some things.

You say Summer has a large Fan base right? But i have see just 3-4 forum-sites dedicated to her and no more than 2000 person around. I'm sure we are much more...

And also another intriguing aspect i've notice is that "This" group is still less in number...we are what? 63 people? something like that...but everywhere in internet search i found refer here!
More than the refer to other summer-more-big group.

So i'm very impressed. Who didi this?

I mean...is just lucky or, as i guess, you are actively promoting everywhere this forum and summer-site? ^^

i found you very awesome for your work, the two big-boss and all the other member.

Michelangelo i still dont understand if you are a Staff member or simply the busiest of bees XD
You're here a lot of time, questioning, answering, debating!

I found this place by chance, but i feel...as i can say it... "home smell" XD

Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

Devo Post # 11 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 22:21
There are a lot of lurkers on this and the other sites. During TSCC she was the most popular topic on the highest traffic television and film board in the world. Cameron was a break-out character that I think is sometimes overlooked and overshadowed by River when interviewers mention Summer's fanbase. Summer has the unique achievement of playing two beloved and iconic characters. They were both short lived characters as well so the audience was left wanting more.

If you search sites like Twitter and Facebook, there are a lot more casual fans of hers that don't really participate in online forums and communities but they watch Summer's projects at least partially because she is in them. They also tweet her news and vote in polls. Probably because they want to see more of her, I think that is partially why her fans are so dedicated.

She has inspired tremendous loyalty amongst the superfans.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 12 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 22:31
Quote (TheSavior)
Michelangelo i still dont understand if you are a Staff member or simply the busiest of bees XD

Simple member! cool

So i'm very impressed. Who didi this?

Must be luck! tongue

I'm teasing you a bit of course.

TheSavior Post # 13 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 22:31
yesi've traveled a lot...but this little heaven of yours seems to be the better united and friendly group of Summer's Fans...i'm trying to fit in, becouse is just so cute! ^^

Cameron

Me

Blazius Post # 14 | Sunday, 12 Jun 2011 - 02:10
Quote (michelangelo)
We were typing at the same type so that i did not saw your comment; i hope my explanations satisfy you. I don't know what you mean by "the only hope for Summer to win".
If you mean "hope to be on the list" then you're right, the committee select the acting performance and not the show itself on the Best Actress category.
But if you mean "the only hope to win the Best Actress Award" then you're wrong : as i explained previously only the votes of the readers, starting on 25th of June, will decide.
This is a nominating committee, not a voting committe like the Hugo Awards or the Emmy Awards.

Yes, we were typing at the same time so I didn't see your explanation either. And yes I believed that this will be similar to the Hugo Awards, but thank you for clearing this to me.
But if I understand she managed to become nominated even with Orwells character so I'm a bit optimistic with this one!

I'm curious how large is the Summer-fanbase too. Hundreds? Thousands? Millions? Not that it matters much, she indeed has maybe the most devoted, loyal and productive fanbase in the world. Whats always surprises me is that in every page there is topic about her if somebody says something bad about her there are immediately three others to defend her and neutralize the hater.

Quote (TheSavior)

Michelangelo indeed puts an enormous amount of work and time into this site and to promote Summer Glaus work in all possible ways. The Calendar project, the important news and information, the photoshoot scan if I remember correctly.He even has the time to answer my stupid questions! Even when I was a lurker I had the impression that this site wouldn't be the same without him.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Devo Post # 15 | Sunday, 12 Jun 2011 - 03:10
Well, millions of people watched all of Firefly/Serenity and Terminator.

I would think that the number of people that are fans of her work are in the millions.

Active online? That is harder to determine. But she is very popular, which is kind of phenomenal since she doesn't have an online presence.

The fake Summer Glau on Twitter has 17,720 followers and hasn't tweeted since July 2008. I imagine Summer would have a sizable twitter following if she were a tweeter.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Vote For Summer » 2011 Portal Awards | Summer Glau runs for Best Actress on TV
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: