menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
AlexDate: Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012, 04:17 | Message # 76
Group: Bloggers
I think the layout is good but I speak only as one who looks at the calendar pages. If I had to my living as an graphic artist, I would starve but I would be happy to help with any writing tasks. Let me know what I can do to help. I believe Chris mentioned a letter of introduction?

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012, 10:32 | Message # 77
Group: Administrators
Quote (Alex)
I think the layout is good but I speak only as one who looks at the calendar pages. If I had to my living as an graphic artist, I would starve but I would be happy to help with any writing tasks. Let me know what I can do to help. I believe Chris mentioned a letter of introduction?

I appreciate your enthousiasm but i think it's too early to think about the accompagnying letter; one can begin to think about the credit/comment page we talked about earlier but i suggest we wait till we have more graphics and as a result a better view of what the calendar will look like before writing something.

IMHO the fact that several artists submit a graphic makes it impossible to have a central theme or graphic theme, all the more that we sometimes uses fanarts that were not made initially for the calendar, not to mention that artists have different skills and style : so that the calendar cannot look as professional as i'd like it to be but that's the point, the calendar is a fanart calendar.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FermiDate: Thursday, 02 Feb 2012, 19:36 | Message # 78
I really likes the effects on this one:

chrisdvanne

maybe it could be improved by using a higher quality picture.
http://www.ulozisko.sk/obrazky/265558/Terminator.jpg

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 01:00 | Message # 79
Quote (Fermi)
maybe it could be improved by using a higher quality picture.

Ok, i'll give it a try.

AlexDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 01:20 | Message # 80
No worries on the text. Just raise a flag if you need something and I will apply fingers to keyboard. For what it is worth, my background is engineering but I have worked as a professional writer since dinosaurs walked the earth. I look forward to contributing.

About that image in post # 78, I think the major colour (orange?) almost washes out and overpowers the details of the primary image. Is it possible to lessen the intensity of the colour so that more of the image comes through?

FermiDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 01:51 | Message # 81
Here is what I'm working on.

quote by Martha Graham
Anyone has a good dance quote?

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 02:21 | Message # 82
Quote (Alex)
About that image in post # 78, I think the major colour (orange?) almost washes out and overpowers the details of the primary image. Is it possible to lessen the intensity of the colour so that more of the image comes through?

Yes that could be done i guess; i will probably keep the orange colour for the flames and uses more contrasted colors for the rest of the picture.

Here is what I'm working on.

Very nice!
Also it shows when the graphic is done specifically for the calendar because the specific items (calendar, quote, logo) are blended smartly on the graphic; good example of what could be done, not to mention the beautiful fanart.

I think this year calendar will have a more girly-girl touch, which is a good thing if you ask me.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 02:27

AlexDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 04:46 | Message # 83
Quote (Fermi)
Anyone has a good dance quote?

Here are a few suggestions:

“If to dance is to dream, then you make dreams come true” - anonymous

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." - Clive James

“All the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill the history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill at dancing.” - Moliere

FermiDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 21:54 | Message # 84
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I think this year calendar will have a more girly-girl touch

A tribute to her ballerina dancing might have a girly-girly look. But girly-girly is not really what we aim at the best graphics for this calendar are the ones that are a homage or tribute to her work.
That tells a story.

FermiDate: Friday, 03 Feb 2012, 22:14 | Message # 85
Quote (Alex)
Here are a few suggestions:

“If to dance is to dream, then you make dreams come true” - anonymous

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." - Clive James

“All the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill the history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill at dancing.” - Moliere

Maybe we can have this structure on a quote:

"quote" - author

If the quote comes from a movie or television series then one should use the characters name as the author

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 04 Feb 2012, 01:57 | Message # 86
Quote (Fermi)
But girly-girly is not really what we aim at the best graphics for this calendar are the ones that are a homage or tribute to her work.
That tells a story.

I disagree.
Focusing on her work and telling a story was induced by last year calendar format with the top graphic, the filmstrip and the bottom graphic. The layout of this year calendar is purely graphic; what we need is visually attractive graphics but telling a story on Summer is not as important as the visual impact.

None of the three graphics we have made so far tell a story, yet i think they fit perfectly and are beautiful.

Quote (Fermi)
Maybe we can have this structure on a quote:

"quote" - author

Yes.
Though we must keep in mind we can put additional informations about each graphic on the credit page.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Saturday, 04 Feb 2012, 09:25

FermiDate: Saturday, 04 Feb 2012, 03:22 | Message # 87
Quote (chrisdvanne)
None of the three graphics we have made so far tell a story, yet i think they fit perfectly and are beautiful.

Yes they all fail telling a story, but one can always try.
What I mean is that just like last year each calender need to have different themes. That you did not notice that I was not original in making up the themes for my graphics?

January Ballerina dancing theme.

2012 Calendar

February River in space theme.

2012 Calendar

April Post Judgment day theme.

2012 Calendar

I'm not suggesting that we should follow last years themes. I just saying that I did biggrin :D

Edit: IMO these new graphics we made look much better than last years.

Edit 2: Suggestion month for your graphic

September FHM theme.

2012 Calendar

Summer Glau Wiki calendar

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 04 Feb 2012, 09:55 | Message # 88
Quote (Fermi)
What I mean is that just like last year each calender need to have different themes. That you did not notice that I was not original in making up the themes for my graphics?

We're not professional artists.
Take the example of a professional photographer like Joan Allen; each of her photoshoot had a different theme, not necessarily linked to Summer's work. That's called talent and imagination.

Hollywood star :
Cldstylehouse dress

Mug shoot :
Mugshoots

Of course Summer Glau is not posing for us but there is enough material in the Summer Glau gallery to make original graphics; my graphic (that you reproduced above) is based on an exclusive view of the FHM BTS video, pasted on a background taken from tv show "Sons of Anarchy" promo clip. These elements and the additional doodles create an unique graphic whose theme is not directly linked to Summer Glau's work.
Your graphics are beautiful but two of them are directly linked to Summer's work; this is not a reproach, just a fact. I think that this year calendar format allows more creativity than last year's format. In this regard the graphic with ballet Summer and portrait is beautiful.

This one told the story of The Cape and the different steps of Orwell's mind leading to her mental disorders :
2012 Calendar

The concept of this year calendar is completely different, i think we should not necessarily try to stick to Summer 's work. Of course the help of different artists with their own sensibility and skills would be a great addition.

@ Alex : another way members of the Summer Glau can help making this calendar is by suggesting themes; if one has in mind a graphic but don't have the graphic skills to realise it, one can always make a suggestion in this thread.

One can also type "graphic inspiration" on Google.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 06 Feb 2012, 01:24 | Message # 89
Quote (chrisdvanne)
A few days ago, i wanted to contact a web designer, who is a great fan of Summer Glau and TSCC, to help us for the design of the Summer Glau Wiki; but since we launched the calendar 2013, i might as well ask him to create a graphic for the calendar.

I send him a message via Facebook and on his personal website.

Not sure Brandon was online recently though.

FermiDate: Saturday, 11 Feb 2012, 23:15 | Message # 90
Any new fanart?

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Search: