menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012, 23:47 | Message # 46
Group: Administrators
Before going any further, i show you the logo i've made; tell me what you think and if i should continue or not ( i want to add a background and apply a grunge effect to the whole) :

Summer Glau Wiki Calendar - Logo

With this unfinished version, here's how it looks like on a graphic ( i placed it on the bottom right corner) :

Summer Glau Wiki Calendar

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FermiDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 00:40 | Message # 47
Here is how it looks like on my graphic

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 00:48 | Message # 48
Quote (Fermi)
Here is how it looks like on my graphic

This is why the template i use - fanart not covering the entire page - allows more possibilities.

I have planned to put a background behind the logo (equivalent to a strip for the calendar if you like) and make tests; in the case of your graphic, you should change the color of the logo and change it to a light color so that it will be visible on a black background (i'm doing sismilar things for the watermark on scans for example).
You didn't told me if you like it or not.

Also the font and effect you used for the month is very 80's

Edit :
if i repeat the same things 100 times, i will maybe be heard : centering the column calendar on the page and also centering the month looks horrible. It would be fine if there was only one element (the column or the months ) but not with two elements side by side.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 01:00

FermiDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 01:38 | Message # 49
Quote (chrisdvanne)
his is why the template i use - fanart not covering the entire page - allows more possibilities.

All fanart can not have the same background and layout as yours.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
I have planned to put a background behind the logo (equivalent to a strip for the calendar if you like)

I think its better not having a background.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
in the case of your graphic, you should change the color of the logo and change it to a light color so that it will be visible on a black background

1)Spaceship moved higher.

2)Using a white logo instead.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
You didn't told me if you like it or not.
The logo looks nice

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Also the font you used for the month is very 80's

Awesome you agree on keeping it?

FermiDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 01:54 | Message # 50
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Edit :
if i repeat the same things 100 times, i will maybe be heard : centering the column calendar on the page and also centering the month looks horrible. It would be fine if there was only one element (the column or the months ) but not with two elements side by side.

Fixed

AlexDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 06:00 | Message # 51
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Before going any further, i show you the logo i've made; tell me what you think and if i should continue or not ( i want to add a background and apply a grunge effect to the whole) :

Summer Glau Wiki Calendar - Logo

This watermark looks good Chris. I would suggest a few very slight changes. The spacing of the letters between the outer and inner circle seems a bit uneven. The first m in Summer is closer to the inner circle. The G in Glau is closer to the outer circle. Also, the arc the the text follows does not appear to be quite centric with the inner and outer circles. Of course, in the size the the logo will appear, these may not even be noticeable.

Is the word Calendar needed? If you removed it, this logo would then be a more general item that perhaps could be added to other Summer Glau Wiki items. As well, the year could be centred in the circle. Forgive my ignorance. I do not know if it is easy to add this logo to photographs or even if that is what you wanted to do.

I like the page layout. I agree with your comment about not centring two elements. It does look horrible, especially as the text elements change in length which kind of mucks up the symmetry and placement. As you demonstrate, readers like consistency in the arrangement and placement of those items on a page that are repeated.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 10:22 | Message # 52
Quote (Fermi)
I think its better not having a background.

You're right, especially on a small element like this one.
I think the color of the logo should not contrast too much with the background; your choice of ligth color is better than all white imo
Quote (Fermi)
Fixed

Much better.
The general composition could be better though, i will work on your graphic (roughly), just to show you a better one.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 19 Jan 2012, 10:58 | Message # 53
Thanks for the comments Alex! It's very important to have the point of view of someone else because Fermi and i have often different views.
I hope more members will realise that even if one don't create a graphic, he can bring a lot by commenting on the choices we make; that's how we did last year.
More, i'm sure your talent as a writer will be used to write the accompagnying letter for the last part of the project.

Quote (Alex)
The spacing of the letters between the outer and inner circle seems a bit uneven.

Yes, the letters follow the path i created manually and indeed the path was uneven; that could be fixed.
All your other remark are true, it just shows my limited Photoshop skills; the little default could be fixed, though as you mentioned i wonder if it's worth it considering the small size of the logo.
I worried about the letter l and d of the word calendar not being clearly visible; maybe i should move the d to the right and maybe use capital letters.

I'd like to test a triangle shape instead of a circle.

Quote (Alex)
Is the word Calendar needed? If you removed it, this logo would then be a more general item that perhaps could be added to other Summer Glau Wiki items. As well, the year could be centred in the circle.

Fermi simply put http://summer-glau.com on a previous version but i don't see how i could make a logo out of an URL. The word calendar is maybe not needed but without it this logo would loose its impact imo. Yet i'll keep that in mind when i'll continue to work on the logo.

The logo was not meant to be a general logo for the Wiki but your comment is interesting because it would be more efficient indeed to have a common policy when it comes to watermarking photos or scans or videos. As it is, everyone does as he wants and change frequently the text, the fonts, the size or the placement of the watermark. Yet i'm not sure a logo is best since people seing photos outside of the wiki would not necessarilly translate it into an URL easely, even with the help of Google.

Good job Alex.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 00:52 | Message # 54
Quote (Fermi)
Fixed

Here's what i did to improve the composition of your graphic :
1) stretched vertically the calendar so that it starts from the top of the graphic (minus the room for the binding) and goes to the bottom.
2) put down the ship so that it's not on the same horizontal line as Summer's head (i left on purpose the marks of the previous placement of the ship)
3) raised up the logo so that it's not on the same horizontal line as the quote (think about the case the quote takes 2 lines)

You'll notice that i applied the same settings as in my graphic in post #46

I have not yet found a definitive place for the month and the year (should we keep it).

FermiDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 01:00 | Message # 55
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I have not yet found a definitive place for the month and the year (should we keep it).

We don't need the year twice it is already on the logo. I have no idea what would be a good location for the month.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
1) stretched vertically the calendar so that it starts from the top of the graphic (minus the room for the binding) and goes to the bottom.

If we do that will not this calendar have bigger numbers, letters and width than it will on the other graphics. February only has 28 days while the other months have 30 or 31

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 01:30 | Message # 56
Quote (Fermi)
If we do that will not this calendar have bigger numbers, letters and width than it will on the other graphics. February only has 28 days while the other months have 30 or 31

Yes, the way i did was wrong because the size of the numbers are bigger but it was just to show you the arrangement of the different items on the page.
The calendar should have the same look and placement no matter the number of days; and i agree with you the size of the numbers and letters should be the same. We have 3 options :
1) center the calendar on the page.
I'm afraid it won't look good once we will add the month (remains to be tested)
2) start the calendar from the bottom (as i did)
Which means that the height will vary with the number of days but at least the bottom won't change.
The placement of the month remains to be tested.
3) make the spacing between two days vary, like we do for a text for example; since there is at least 28 days, i don't think the variation will be noticeable.

I guess it will depend from the location of the month (just as you, i have no precise idea). I will work a little on the logo then i will work on the month.

There is no hurry, the important thing is that we're progressing little by little.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 01:33

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 02:00 | Message # 57
Triangle shaped logos

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 02:12

AlexDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 16:49 | Message # 58
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Triangle shaped logos

These are striking to look at which is good as it makes the logo stand out. My only concerns are that they force the reader to work hard to read the text and that they are such an eye catcher that they may pull too much of the reader's attention to the logo (and away from the calendar page). I really like the font and the composition though. You certainly have a strong sense of design.

As to the writing you need, I would be very happy to contribute in any way I can. Let me know your thoughts as to what you want to say and I will gladly work up the accompanying text. Just a thought but perhaps each calendar page could include a very brief caption that explains, for people new to Summer's work, what each page signifies and what works of hers that it draws from. And if I may suggest, given your interest in design, perhaps each calendar page could start with a simple statement of the design concept - what it is that you would like to say.

For example, using the image from post 50: Summer appears here as the beautiful but troubled River Tam shown beside the Firefly class ship Serenity that was her refuge in the series Firefly and the movie Serenity. Can't stop the signal has two meanings. In the movie Serenity, it was the tag line of Mr.Universe, a super sleuth who was able to see everything and who provided the crew with the means to broadcast the secret that had caused River so much pain. This broadcast also saved the crew of the Serenity from the evil Operative and his masters in the Alliance parliament. It also refers to the power and appeal that Summer has in her ability to portray such fascinating characters.

FermiDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 19:56 | Message # 59
Quote (Alex)
As to the writing you need, I would be very happy to contribute in any way I can. Let me know your thoughts as to what you want to say and I will gladly work up the accompanying text. Just a thought but perhaps each calendar page could include a very brief caption that explains, for people new to Summer's work, what each page signifies and what works of hers that it draws from. And if I may suggest, given your interest in design, perhaps each calendar page could start with a simple statement of the design concept - what it is that you would like to say.

It might be too hard to fit a very brief caption into our layout. It is a good idea maybe it could be used on a separate appendix. As for the writing when we are finished with the calendar it will be sent to Summer with an accompanying letter that we will write together.

AlexDate: Friday, 20 Jan 2012, 23:33 | Message # 60
I look forward to contributing. Let me know what you need.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Search: