[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 15«12341415»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
FermiDate: Saturday, 07 Jan 2012, 16:23 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Why not a single column calendar

Here is with a single column

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 12 Jan 2012, 16:48 | Message # 17
I did some testing using one of my fanart.
chrisdvanne

I tried the template Fermi was suggesting by puting this fanart on the top portion of the page in reduced size but it didn't look good and the size was too small in the case of a graphic with such dimension; that would leave too much empty space on the graphic whereas the focus should have been precisely on the top graphic.

I didn't found a proper solution; my conclusion was that the template was too close from last year with a top graphic and a bottom section; filling it with a calendar, a bottom graphic or screencap is the same because it's distracting from the top graphic which should have the focus on it.

This is why i suggest a much more simple template that include only a fanart and several addtional elements like the one-column calendar and the quote.
See a first try below :

Click on image for larger size
Calendar template

The wall calendar format we used previously was justified when there was a whole calendar sheet in it but not anymore if we use a single column calendar, especially if we use transparency effects. I think the landscape format fits better in this case.

I choosed not to cover the whole page with the fanart but it could be done if needed. The calendar can be placed equally vertically or horizontally. This template leaves a great liberty to the artist, who just needs to submit a fanart without thinking about the calendar part itself (then Fermi and i can add the other visual elements like watercolor effect, calendar, quote).

Feedback on that suggestion please.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FermiDate: Friday, 13 Jan 2012, 01:56 | Message # 18
Your layout proposals work fine with me

Here I made a horizontal calender for testing purposes.

Edit: With that format it is better using a horizontal calender else it will look too small.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 13 Jan 2012, 02:43 | Message # 19
Quote (Fermi)
Your layout proposals work fine with me

Great, i can try to improve it now that we agree on the general template.
A lanscape template like this avoid damaging the top part of the graphic when using metal binding + notch and calendar hook (except maybe the top part of the almanack if put vertically).

Quote (Fermi)
Here I made a horizontal calender for testing purposes.

I'll test both version but my preference goes to the vertical version so far. Here's why.

If there was no quote on the graphic, the horizontal calendar would have been perfect. But an horizontal calendar , on the bottom of the graphic for example, means we must find another place for the quote : an horizontal line on top of the graphic would look horrible (two horizontal lines on top and bottom on the graphic). If not horizontal, it would mean on the left or right side of the graphic, but i'm not sure it's easy to read a quote vertically; remains to be tested though.

I use the one-column calendar you provided but obviously it's not the best choice for the minimalist design i have in mind; having no square is better imo. Also the day and the date should be aligned horizontally like this : Tue 12. I'll try to have a similar design for all additional elements (calendar, year, date, quote, Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013) while varying the fonts, which will give a professional look to the calendar (i hope).

With that in mind, i shall make a new layout proposal in the following days. If the fanart submitted allows it, i have in mind to have an unity in colors too for a better looking calendar.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 13 Jan 2012, 02:44

FermiDate: Saturday, 14 Jan 2012, 22:08 | Message # 20

I reduced the height of the calendar
just testing with some fanart I made, not happy with it yet.

FermiDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 12:52 | Message # 21
Here is some of the already existing fanart from our gallery that would work best for the calendar imo

chrisdvanne

Fanart
Fanart

chrisdvanne
This one already has the qoute maybe in the wrong location.
Fanart
One can remove the google refrence
Fanart

chrisdvanne

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 13:49 | Message # 22
Quote (Fermi)
I reduced the height of the calendar

Why?

Quote (Fermi)
just testing with some fanart I made, not happy with it yet.

Having a square shape (Cameron's head), embedded in a square shape (the limits of your fanart), embedded in a square shape (the limits of the calendar) doesn't look good; this is why i used brushes to blurr the limits of my fanart in post #17. Another solution to avoid this would be to paste the fanart in the entire page but in this case the other elements would have to be pasted on the fanart itself.

Similarly, using your square shape calendar does not look good (i used it for testing purpose only) , especially if embedded in a colored strip as i did (i might not keep it).

Quote (Fermi)
Here is some of the already existing fanart from our gallery that would work best for the calendar imo

Obviously!

FermiDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 14:50 | Message # 23
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Having a square shape (Cameron's head), embedded in a square shape (the limits of your fanart), embedded in a square shape (the limits of the calendar) doesn't look good; this is why i used brushes to blurr the limits of my fanart in post #17. Another solution to avoid this would be to paste the fanart in the entire page but in this case the other elements would have to be pasted on the fanart itself.

I decided not to continue with that fan art project. Another idea I have for a graphic is evolving the entire Serenity cast, but I have not started working on it yet.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Similarly, using your square shape calendar does not look good (i used it for testing purpose only) , especially if embedded in a colored strip as i did (i might not keep it).

What other shape could a calender have? I agree that the design and how it will be embedded into the fanart should be made in a more professional way.

Note the calender template is done in Excel. I just copy and paste it over to photoshop.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Obviously!

Great! Depending if it will be hard to recruit fan artists for this project. It is good to know that we have some good options.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 16:10 | Message # 24
Quick photoshop to show you the direction i want to follow :

1) We can add a somewhat neutral background instead of the white background.

2) By choosing the blending options i removed the not good looking squares of the calendar (vertical strip can be added again later)

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 16:10

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 16:29 | Message # 25
This testing shows you another option : the fanart fills the entire page and the other elements are pasted on it :
In this case, the focus is diectly on the fanart but the problem is that not all fanarts have the requested dimensions; also the elements like calendar or month or quote cover the fanart. If you want to make them visible, you have to use a strip (with more or less transparancy) but it will not look good in the end.

This is why the previous templates with the fanart covering only partially the page are better imo; we have to decide wether we want a white or colored background.
A colored backgroud should be quite simple in design and in colors not to disturb from the fanart itself and also in order not to hide the additional elements.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 16:43 | Message # 26
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)

Good points. Too squared doesn't look good, but rounded is always pretty. The brushes help to dampen the edges indeed. Though trying the fanart pasted on the entire page option too to see how that'd look would worth a try I think.

Quote (Fermi)
I decided not to continue with that fan art project. Another idea I have for a graphic is evolving the entire Serenity cast, but I have not started working on it yet.

My personal opinion is that the Calendar should be exclusively about Summer. Its a Calendar from the fans of Summer to Summer so that'd be more appropriate I think. Also Summer fans unlike fans of other stars have the mission to strengthen Summers ego whenever they can which purpose is served right if our works are solely about her and her exploits. Just my two cents.

Quote (Fermi)
Here is with a single column

Are we going to add a Starwarsified Summer too? smile

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 17:22

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 18:15 | Message # 27
Quote (Blazius)
My personal opinion is that the Calendar should be exclusively about Summer. Its a Calendar from the fans of Summer to Summer so that'd be more appropriate I think. Also Summer fans unlike fans of other stars have the mission to strengthen Summers ego whenever they can which purpose is served right if our works are solely about her and her exploits. Just my two cents.

Short answer : 2012 Calendar

Long answer : of course the calendar is about Summer but it won't hurt if some fanarts include other characters from the Glauverse. More, it's easier to advertise the calendar this way (the most enthousiastic fans about last year calendar came from firefly boards btw).

Quote (Blazius)
Are we going to add a Starwarsified Summer too?

Probably not.
First of all because Stars Wars does not belong to the Glauverse and also because the fanarts have to be as professional as possible. Also i know from experience that Summer's head photoshoped on someone else's body will inevitably lead to name calling (creepy, ...).

The calendar serves several purposes : bringing the community together by working on a common project, offereing creative and unique content to the Wiki and its members but also showcase the creativity of the Summer Glau Wiki to the internet.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 18:47 | Message # 28
Here is a version with a colored background and its comments:

• Colors and design of the background are simple in order to keep the focus on the fanart
  • Calendar start from the top of the page (minus the room for binding) and goes to the bottom.
  • The vertical strip under the calendar and year has been blended almost completely to the background
  • Year is partially on the background and on the vertical strip on purpose
  • Month and quote are not centered on purpose because it's an original design (centering them would look too amateurish imo)

Click on image for larger size
Summer Glau Wiki calendar

I have not added "Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013" because the only room left is on the right side and if placed here then the addional elements would form a square aroud the fanart which would not look good; i have several solutions in minds, feel free to give yours.

Unless someone comes with better ideas in terms of unique design, i don't think the layout should vary much, even if minor adjustements are expected. I will submit tomorrow a similar design but with white background.

Also i think it could be interesting for the members and lurkers to explain how we proceed in Photoshop.

FermiDate: Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012, 02:47 | Message # 29
I made a Firefly fan-art for the calendar. I still ended up with just using Summers character River Tam.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
I have not added "Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013" because the only room left is on the right side and if placed here then the addional elements would form a square aroud the fanart which would not look good; i have several solutions in minds, feel free to give yours.

Is it not enough to just have it on the cover this time?

Quote (chrisdvanne)

2) By choosing the blending options i removed the not good looking squares of the calendar (vertical strip can be added again later)

like multiply I'm using in C2, but what font style are you using for the text?

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012, 11:23 | Message # 30
Quote (Fermi)
I made a Firefly fan-art for the calendar.

Nice one.
Yet i believe that this type of layout (transparent one-column calendar on image covering the whole page) is more suitable for studio photos (of actors for example) where you can choose from the start the lights, the dimension,...but not for fanarts.
I'll do some tests with the fanart i'm using, which has a complex design covering the whole page, thus not leaving much room left for the calendar or quote.

Quote (Fermi)
Is it not enough to just have it on the cover this time?

If the calendar was made to be printed only, i would say yes but in most cases it will be showed as separated images online; i fear that somewhere in the process the reference to the Summe Glau Wiki might be lost. Still thinking about it.

Quote (Fermi)
like multiply I'm using in C2, but what font style are you using for the text?

Honestly i don't like the font i'm using; it's just they were available in my photoshop. They must be changed but for now we still have to make decisions about more important features.

Also the calendar should start from the top of the page, minus the room for binding. Similarly, the top of River's head will be in the way of the binding.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012, 11:28

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Page 2 of 15«12341415»
Search: