menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
FermiDate: Monday, 11 Jun 2012, 00:26 | Message # 181
Group: Administrators
Here is the tribute video for Calendar

A huge thanks to John Anealio giving us the permission to use his awesome song "Summer Glau" for the video.
The lyrics of the Summer Glau song was written by John DeNardo to the tune of "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Crofts. One day he asked John Anealio if he would like to take a shot at recording the song. John Anealio then asked if it was OK to write an original tune to his lyrics instead.
The song is on number 5 in his album Sci-Fi Songs and can be downloaded here: http://johnanealio.com/track/summer-glau

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 02 Jul 2012, 20:51 | Message # 182
We will send Summer Glau a package including a copy of the 2013 Calendar, an accompagnying letter (not yet written) , as well as personal messages written by our members Ogy86 and REG.

As suggested at the start of this year project, Alex will help us write the letter; firstly because he volunteered for that and secondly because he has the writing talent required for this.

Last year letter could be used as a draft though it should be updated since it's the second edition of the Calendar and all the explanation paragraph could be skipped or reduced. As usual, everyone is invited to bring ideas on the content of the letter and the formulation.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 00:07

AlexDate: Monday, 02 Jul 2012, 22:43 | Message # 183
Group: Bloggers
I am glad to help. The calendar looks fantastic. Where is last year's letter?

Alex

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 00:10 | Message # 184
Quote (Alex)
Where is last year's letter?

The ideas this letter is supposed to convey is that the Wiki is a community and that we admire Summer as an actress and as a person. The difference with last year is that that Wiki is now mature, we can also mention the growing and frienfly relationship within the fandom and relate to recent events that brought the community together.

I know that makes a lot to say and it's maybe not focused on the calendar but one has to understand that the calendar is not important by itself; it's the feeling to belong to an open community that shares an admiration for Summer and her work that is important.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 00:22

Fox012Date: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 00:23 | Message # 185
"we members..." right me if wrong but should it not "We the members..." ?

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

AlexDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 00:29 | Message # 186
Thanks Chris. I will work up a draft and drop it back into the thread.

Alex

Message edited by Alex - Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 00:30

AlexDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 04:40 | Message # 187
OK, here is a first draft. Please feel free to comment as you see fit. I left the last paragraph open as I think there is a lot to say about how this calendar is different from last year's. What do you think we should add to this? I look forward to reading your comments.

Dear Summer:

We the members of the community that is the Summer Glau Wiki of Awesomeness are pleased to present you with the second Summer Glau Calendar. Last year, our first year as a community, we wanted to introduce ourselves to you and to tell you how much we admire your work. Your brilliant and compelling performances have brought great joy to all the members of this community; your work inspired us to make the first calendar.

In the year since we sent you that calendar, the community has grown and we have become more involved with other communities of fan fiction writers, social media enthusiasts, and many other fans, all of whom admire you and your work. We have also built up the wiki with articles and have engaged in complementary activities such as a YouTube channel, several active Twitter accounts, and sharing our output with other communities in the fandom. And our membership has increased.

Our forums are very active and we have a lot of discussion amongst our members that we find interesting and engaging. One thing that has not changed though and it is this: we are committed to providing a safe, friendly, and welcoming environment for all fans of your work. New members are welcomed and encouraged. And in this spirit, we encourage you to read what we have to say and should you ever feel the desire to participate, I am sure you would find all that we claim is true.

This calendar is a departure from last year. Our skill has increased and we have built up a large collection of source materials to draw upon. We have collaborated a great deal more and with input from many more fans.

FermiDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 06:20 | Message # 188
Thank You Alex

We have also built up the wiki with articles and have engaged in complementary activities such as a YouTube channel, several active Twitter accounts, and sharing our output with other communities in the fandom. And our membership has increased.

This part sounds like too much advertising.

New members are welcomed and encouraged. And in this spirit, we encourage you to read what we have to say and should you ever feel the desire to participate, I am sure you would find all that we claim is true.

Imo this part too and I think it should be removed.

We also need to mention that it is a birthday gift from us and that we wish her success.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 10:49 | Message # 189
@Alex : Wow, you're a quick writer.

I'm sure you won't mind constructive criticism; i know i'm the one who asked to highlight the concept of "community" but it's repeated too much in the first two paragraphs.

Also i agree with Fermi's remarks.

The will of the Wiki to built strong relationships with all the actors of the Glau-verse should be highlighted even more and also we should convey that this is not a way to remain between hard-core fans and drool (negative comments should not be included of course); on the opposite this should be the opportunity to befriend with people from various horizons (geographically and also other fandoms like Greys Anatomy). In other words, our journey and Summer's is the same : progress and discover new horizons.
I think this message should replace the second part of the second paragraph : "We have also built up..."

Let me try :
Thanks to you, we expand our horizons, geographically and tv/movie related : when you travel to Australia for a convention, we meet new fans and exchanges stories and pics; when you play in Greys Anatomy, we take this opportunity to step outside of the sci-fi world with you.

As you can see, the construction of the sentence builds a strong relationship between us and Summer : "When you, we..."

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 10:50

AlexDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 12:38 | Message # 190
Great comments all! I will work up a second draft.

The1RussterDate: Tuesday, 03 Jul 2012, 17:44 | Message # 191
Group: Writer
I like the letter. It reads very well. It's complimentary toward Summer and at the same time tells her something about this site and all of us as well.
Looking forward to reading the final draft.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

AlexDate: Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 02:39 | Message # 192
Quote (The1Russter)
I like the letter. It reads very well. It's complimentary toward Summer and at the same time tells her something about this site and all of us as well.
Looking forward to reading the final draft.

Thank you very much. I would give my eye teeth to have your ear for dialogue and your imagination. Thank you!

AlexDate: Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 02:45 | Message # 193
Okay, here is version 2. I have kept version 1 as a standalone file. For what it is worth, I am using a really neat writing tool called Scrivener. I am relatively new to it but it offers some great organizing tools for writers. And no, I am not advertising it nor do I own shares in that company.

On to Version 2 - as always, your comments are very welcome. No one said anything about a page limit but if there is, I can cut this down.

Dear Summer:

We the members of the community that is the Summer Glau Wiki of Awesomeness are pleased to present you with the second Summer Glau Calendar for your birthday. Last year, our first year, we wanted to introduce ourselves to you and to tell you how much we admire your work. Your brilliant and compelling performances have brought great joy to all of us; your work inspired us to make the first calendar. And these people were not graphic artists. It was a heartfelt pursuit, a labour of love that was its own reward.

Thanks to you, we have expanded our horizons both geographically and in our choices of entertainment. Your recent trip to Australia brought new members, many shared photos, and anecdotes all of which told us what we already knew - people are crazy about Summer. Your foray into Grey’s Anatomy got many of us to watch a show that we had never seen before. And we liked it. Looking a bit further back, your work as Cameron sparked literally thousands of new works of fiction. In an age where illiteracy becomes a greater problem, you have inspired people to write, to read, and to engage in healthy, constructive criticism.

In the year since we sent you that first calendar, the community has grown and we have become more involved with other communities of fan fiction writers, social media enthusiasts, and many other fans, all of whom admire you and your work. As a community, we find that we all have a wonderful sense of engagement that was inspired by “a simple girl from Texas” who just happens to be very, very good at entertaining us in a riveting and meaningful way.

This sense of engagement is something that has enabled us to reach out to not just other fan communities but also to many, many people who are new to your work. It is very common for these newcomers to recount essentially the same story: “I was looking for something to watch and some friends recommended…after that, within a week, I had seen everything she has done…” and so the story goes. It is almost a rite of passage for many of your fans. We count ourselves as among some of most fortunate people on the planet.

Lastly, our forums are very active and we have a lot of discussion amongst our members that we find interesting and engaging. One thing that has not changed since the start though and it is this: we are committed to providing a safe, friendly, and welcoming environment where we as fans can post ideas, engage in discussion, share our knowledge, and do what we can to promote your work. You are most welcome to join us and we would be delighted if you browse this site and we would be overjoyed if you decided to participate.

Summer: we wish you a very happy birthday. We wish you every success and you have to know that we are 100 percent behind any choices that you make.

Best Wishes
The members of the Summer Glau Wiki of Awesomeness

FermiDate: Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 06:30 | Message # 194
Quote (Alex)
No one said anything about a page limit but if there is

Yes the letter too long and I would like to remove some parts.

You are most welcome to join us and we would be delighted if you browse this site and we would be overjoyed if you decided to participate.

Like this part, because it sounds like we want her to join the forum and participate in the discussions about herself, which I think is very unlikely.

AlexDate: Wednesday, 04 Jul 2012, 12:37 | Message # 195
Good point. But if she wanted to participate, she could. Remember, no power in the verse...

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Search: