[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 151231415»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
FermiDate: Sunday, 01 Jan 2012, 18:22 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
The Summer Glau Wiki calendar 2013, this year the deadline will be the first of June. This is a great opportunity to learn photoshop or gimp that can be downloaded for free: http://www.gimp.org/

Tutorials and ideas can be found with help of google. Even with no experience in working with graphic manipulation softwares one can create a master piece. If you wanna draw the calender art by hand that is possible too. Only our imagination sets the boundaries

If we will have the same layout as last year or a different one we can discuss in this thread.

Members that don’t work with fan art can contribute with ideas. The result will be sent or handed over to Summer Glau.

The process so far: We still testing our layout options
Here are some the graphics we currently experimenting with:

Summer Glau Wiki calendar

You can't stop the signal!

FermiDate: Sunday, 01 Jan 2012, 19:40 | Message # 2
For new participants it could be a good idea to check the last year calendar thread for inspiration: http://summer-glau.com/forum/6-132-1

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 02 Jan 2012, 15:05 | Message # 3
Since we have plenty of time to make this year calendar, the schedule should not be defined as precisely and strictly as last year but i think we should follow the same continuous step sequence, aka :

• choice of the calendar format
  • choice of a monthly template
  • making of the graphics
  • final layout and adjustments

Decision process making to avoid useless squabbles : every member can make graphics and suggestions but the admins, aka Fermi and Charley, have the final word.
I already have a few ideas about this year calendar's look, based on my own thinking and on feedbacks from other fans about last year calendar; i shall give them as one goes along.

Some of us can benefits from the making of last year calendar and that experience should be put to good use; nonetheless, new blood and fresh ideas are welcome.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 02 Jan 2012, 21:34 | Message # 4
A few days ago, i wanted to contact a web designer, who is a great fan of Summer Glau and TSCC, to help us for the design of the Summer Glau Wiki; but since we launched the calendar 2013, i might as well ask him to create a graphic for the calendar.

Charley_DixonDate: Monday, 02 Jan 2012, 22:16 | Message # 5
Quote (chrisdvanne)
A few days ago, i wanted to contact a web designer, who is a great fan of Summer Glau and TSCC, to help us for the design of the Summer Glau Wiki; but since we launched the calendar 2013, i might as well ask him to create a graphic for the calendar.

Wow, those are good ideas. I hope he will be a valuable addition to our team. together

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

FermiDate: Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 00:34 | Message # 6
Quote (chrisdvanne)
choice of a monthly template

Here's a suggestion:

The benefit is that the almanack will not take so much space, the extra column could be used to write notes. We continue using quotes, we don't need the filmstrip anymore.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 01:10 | Message # 7
It's close to what i had in mind smile
Imo the calendar should be different from one year to another; more, i had feedback from last calendar saying there was too much things in it and i agree with that.

First of all i think we could use the same format at last year, aka a wall calendar with the same dimensions (have to find them back).
My second remark is : are we going to use a single background and change only the top picture? This option has my preference since it allows to have a standardized look for all the monthly graphic and avoid to make 2 graphics (a backgroung and a top graphic); the focus should be on the top graphic imo.
My third remark : using such an almanack is also what i had in mind but the vertical format of the calendar suggest we make it horizontal; of course the look must be improved.
Finally : i don't like the double helix, it doesn't fit imo.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 02:26

FermiDate: Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 02:50 | Message # 8
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Imo the calendar should be different from one year to another; more, i had feedback from last calendar saying there was too much things in it and i agree with that.

First of all i think we could use the same format at last year, aka a wall calendar with the same dimensions (have to find them back).
My second remark is : are we going to use a single background and change only the top picture? This option has my preference since it allows to have a standardized look for all the monthly graphic and avoid to make 2 graphics (a backgroung and a top graphic); the focus should be on the top graphic imo.
My third remark : using such an almanack is also what i had in mind but the vertical format of the calendar suggest we make it horizontal; of course the look must be improved.
Finally : i don't like the double helix, it doesn't fit imo.

Yes same size and same format at last year, but with a less complicated layout.
Last calendar had so much on it a: top graphic, bottom graphic, filmstrip and the background graphic that was used for the calendar template.

What I suggested was just having one big 1 191px x 1 684px graphic the only thing the fan-artist need to think about is to leave some space to the left or to the right (Switching positions for every month) for the vertical almanack and for the quote was position could be optional. One could have some decorative sceencaps at the bottom part of the graphic, it does not need to be in a double helix or follow the same standard for all months which would give more room for the creativity.

FermiDate: Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 03:05 | Message # 9
Quote (chrisdvanne)
are we going to use a single background and change only the top picture? This option has my preference since it allows to have a standardized look for all the monthly graphic and avoid to make 2 graphics (a backgroung and a top graphic)

No just having the same background for all monthly graphic, would look more boring imo.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 10:49 | Message # 10
Quote (Fermi)
No just having the same background for all monthly graphic, would look more boring imo.

I want to avoid last year problems:
It's not that easy to connect literaly and metaphorically a top and a bottom graphic; in this regard, this month was a fail imo (the beautiful top graphic was wasted) :
2012 Calendar

Having screencaps covering the whole bottom part could be a good idea but then we will have to decide what dimensions and could limit the creativity of the top graphic.
Having a few monthly graphics with screencaps on the bottom while some wouldn't, doesn't give a professional look to the calendar imo.

Quote (Fermi)
leave some space to the left or to the right (Switching positions for every month) for the vertical almanack and for the quote was position could be optional.

I see what you mean but i don't think it's a good idea; this kind of things works when the graphic itself is just a studio photo of a celebrity, something very "simple", not with the calendar we're going to do.

I agree to give up the idea of a commun background but saying basically to an artist "do what you want" is not the best imo.
I think we should take the time to discuss all aspects and deliver basic instructions (not necessarily a rigid template) before starting to create the graphics.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 11:00

FermiDate: Thursday, 05 Jan 2012, 13:23 | Message # 11
Quote (chrisdvanne)

I want to avoid last year problems:
It's not that easy to connect literaly and metaphorically a top and a bottom graphic; in this regard, this month was a fail imo (the beautiful top graphic was wasted) :

Yes exactly instead we could have the same background for the bottom and top part and don't use a filmstrip as a separator.

Edit suggestion template:
Attachments: 7458485.jpg(59Kb)

FermiDate: Friday, 06 Jan 2012, 21:19 | Message # 12
I made a nicer looking calendar

used in a fanart:

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 07 Jan 2012, 02:37 | Message # 13
Quote (Fermi)
I made a nicer looking calendar

I like the column format but i'm afraid it could come in the way of the top graphic; it forces to make smaller graphics, since they can't use the whole width of the page. Graphics with small details should be avoided in this case. I shall make a temporary graphic and see the results :

I think that fanart deserves to be featured in the calendar; it could be used for testing the template.
chrisdvanne

Even though the calendar section is slightly better looking, it doesn't fit in the calendar imo; i see two possibilities :
1) the calendar is blended in the general background, kinda like what we did last time (no specific background should be used for the calendar).
2) on the opposite, the calendar is visually separated from the background, using a 3D or shadow effect.

If we use screencaps, your template suggest we use the same background because there is not much room for it left; in this case, what the point creating a different background for each garphic if it won't be visible.

Random idea to test : not using straight but blurry edges for the fanart and/or the screencaps, like in here :

FermiDate: Saturday, 07 Jan 2012, 05:14 | Message # 14
Here is how it looks with my star wars fan art .
I'm trying to avoid having visible borders between the different sections.

Note: this are just experiment with layout, these graphics might not be used in the actual calendar. This one might be too geeky :P

Note 2: The empty part at the bottom is were the screen caps will be.

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 07 Jan 2012, 09:20 | Message # 15
Quote (Fermi)
I'm trying to avoid having visible borders between the different sections.

Visible border or not for the different sections (fanart, calendar, quote, screencap) should be tested; at this point, this is just suggestion to see what looks more best.
For example we could take the template as you drawn it and simply fill the sections (not the best option imo). Or the quote could be framed, unlike last time.
Once again, i have too main concerns : good quality fanart and professional look and feel.

Random thoughts :
As it is, the calendar section has not an optimal position.Why not a single column calendar which would fit better the format of the calendar, will be more adjustable and look more professional imo.
The font used for the quote must be changed of course because a rounded one looks too cartoonish.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Page 1 of 151231415»
Search: