San Francisco Comic Con
September 1-3, 2017

Summer Glau at MCM Belfast Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Misc. News on Pilots and Series
By robbo

Juke Joint!
By robbo

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at MCM London Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Photos of celebrities from the Glau-verse & beyond
By robbo

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

Game of Thrones
By robbo

Summer Glau at Rose City Comic Con 2016
By chrisdvanne

Interesting about the franchise and other TSCC things
By KevinInEngland

New comments

Jimmy PK on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

robbo on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

chrisdvanne on: Serenity Comic - All Aboard the feels train

chrisdvanne on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

RedsBaron on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

chrisdvanne on: Summer looks fierce in a fashion photo shoot by Joan Allen

robbo on: HQ photos from the Firefly panel at MCM London Comic Con

New videos

00:01:17

00:14:30

00:03:40

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 2 of 5«12345»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Cartoon continuation of TSCC project
Cartoon continuation of TSCC project
Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 00:26 GMT | Message # 16

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
I will tie Eric to a chair with a blank paper and a pencil until he makes these two pics identical.

LOL, it may not come to that.

What about smaller eyes? And I think there is something with her jaws( too short maybe)

Forehead is nice through.

I like the second one you posted from him better BTW. Perfect the jaw a bit and that would be pretty good I think.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 00:32

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 00:51 GMT | Message # 17

Site Admin

Remember he is a manga cartoonist and manga characters have wide eyes and the head proportionally bigger than the rest of the body.

I already mentioned Eric the probleme was the jaw (Summer has a square jaw unlike manga characters), without much success unfortunately. I also think that a less broad mouth and thicker lips might help.
If i can managed to make him modify these points and have as a result an harmonious face, it's a win.

Just for fun, he made an "akira-style" Cameron :

Akira Style Cameron

And here's an insight into his work, a fanart portraying Miku Hatsune:

Miku Hatsune

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 00:55 GMT | Message # 18

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
Remember he is a manga cartoonist and manga characters have wide eyes and the head proportionally bigger than the rest of the body.

I already mentioned Eric the probleme was the jaw (Summer has a square jaw unlike manga characters), without much success unfortunately. I also think that a less broad mouth and thicker lips might help.
If i can managed to make him modify these points and have as a result an harmonious face, it's a win.

Yes, square like jaw is what was missing indeed,he does her too rounded, but Summer is nothing like that. He'd have to break with manga traditions for this one I fear.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 00:57 GMT | Message # 19

Site Admin

Quote (Blazius)
He'd have to break with manga traditions for this one I fear.

Wish me good luck biggrin

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 01:03 GMT | Message # 20

Friends

If he was to make it obviously cartoonish whilst still being summer would the readers really care obviously we all want to see Summer Glau in action again but is this about making a story or would it be better to just make a photo book of Summer Glau if you want the artist to draw her exactly as she appears rather then letting them work their artists interpretation into the picture.

I think the drawings are great and feel that as long as you look at the drawing and identify the character easily, artistic license is not a bad thing so please don't tie him to a chair until he draws her perfectly at least not yet anyway

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 01:14 GMT | Message # 21

Site Admin

Quote (Chris)
If he was to make it obviously cartoonish whilst still being summer would the readers really care obviously we all want to see Summer Glau in action again but is this about making a story or would it be better to just make a photo book of Summer Glau if you want the artist to draw her exactly as she appears rather then letting them work their artists interpretation into the picture.

I think the drawings are great and feel that as long as you look at the drawing and identify the character easily, artistic license is not a bad thing so please don't tie him to a chair until he draws her perfectly at least not yet anyway

Thank you Chris, it's good to have another point of view into this. Don't hesitate to make your voice heard in future development.

This is what i said in post #10 : "i also have to respect the style of the artist somehow".

I'll try to weight on the points Blazius and i mentioned but it's not my intention to make a photo-like Cameron; i just want to give the drawing some character, a personal touch and not the usual hot girl or manga character.

As for the schedule, i have foreseen to make him realise a few fanarts of even some short stories first; ideas of Jameron or action themed fanarts are welcome.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 01:15 GMT | Message # 22

Friends

Quote (Chris)

Personally I'd only want to see a tiny flavour which makes the image more Summer-ish so you can identify the drawing as Summer.

But you can't do that without perfecting the jaws devil

I know! Show him Firefly comics! Maybe he gets an inspiration if he sees the correct lines or whatnot.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 01:23 GMT | Message # 23

Friends

I think the hardest thing you will have is selecting which story to base the comic book on, hhmmmm multiple comic books maybe tongue

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 01:28 GMT | Message # 24

Friends

Quote (Chris)
I think the hardest thing you will have is selecting which story to base the comic book on, hhmmmm multiple comic books maybe

I vote for making it imaginitive and fresh with interesting new ideas( like with the awesome "Cameron killed John" theory tongue )

Seriously tough this concerns me too. We have hard time to come in terms with the different theories already. How will we make a coherent story?

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 02:03 GMT | Message # 25

Site Admin

Quote (Blazius)
Seriously tough this concerns me too. We have hard time to come in terms with the different theories already. How will we make a coherent story?

Everything in its own time!

As i said we will start with short stories illustrating a joke or a fight or an aspect of the story to get used to the characters and the making of comic pages. The comic book, if one will come later.

Either we decide to illustrate an already existing story (fan fiction), or we decide to create a story by ourselves; in every case, it means having a task force working together to turn writing into storyboard and then into drawings. Don't fool yourself, this is hard work. In my wildest dreams, i imagine all TSCC/Summer Glau fans feverishly waiting for their weekly 2 or 3 pages illustrating TSCC season 3 to be released on the Summer Glau Wiki, kinda like they used to wait for their TSCC-fix when the serie was still on air.
The Summer Glau Wiki has proven in the past it can conduct such creative and ambitious project, i don't see why we shouldn't succeed this time.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 02:07 GMT | Message # 26

Site Admin

I agree with what michelangelo said, that the drawing should have it's own style and personality. A cartoon does not need to be too realistic or too similar to the human original. I like the artists manga version posted in the OP best. It is a very good one that does not look too childish or silly like many other manga drawings do on the contrary she looks badass. It fit well and she does have these really big manga eyes.

You can't stop the signal!

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 21:39 GMT | Message # 27

Site Admin

Eric and i have worked together (well, basically Eric) from the precious comment of the Wiki members and we have now three candidates for Summer's face.
Click on images for bigger size.

1) The first version posted

Summer Glau cartoon

2) A second one i find very interesting, though atypical

Summer Glau cartoon

3) A like-looking version of Summer

Summer Glau cartoon

Tell me which one you prefer.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 21:48 GMT | Message # 28

Friends

The first one is superior by far in my opinion. The second one just looks strange. The first may not look the most similar to Summer, but I see no reason why it has too. It certainly could be recognized as Summer and it looks the best so that should be enough.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 23:27 GMT | Message # 29

Site Admin

After Eric brought these new drawings, i made him draw several faces of Cameron today while indicating him what i'd like and correcting too big eyes or too thin lips or whatever but i came to the conclusion that the gains in ressemblance were detrimental to the overall cuteness and personality of the drawing.

I will wait opinions from others before deciding which version will be used; then a phase of character study will be necessary to get the drawing right from every angle : front view, side and three-quarter profile.

Side note : I have asked him to make a few Jameron-style drawings, hence the third pics. I have four other drawings portraying John and Cameron in situations that Sarah would certainly disapprove of (in different style and not with finale version of Summer or John of course).

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 23:52 GMT | Message # 30

Friends

OK, I think the first one is the best we can get as it seems so I vote for that.

Quote (michelangelo)
Side note : I have asked him to make a few Jameron-style drawings, hence the third pics. I have four other drawings portraying John and Cameron in situations that Sarah would certainly disapprove of (in different style and not with finale version of Summer or John of course).

I hope we don't make the comic all about a Jameron love story, I think we have quite a few other options to explore too. And it seems that Friedman didn't want to do it either only in symbolic form at best.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Cartoon continuation of TSCC project
Page 2 of 5«12345»
Search: