To be announced

Peter Panzerfaust Motion Comic
To be announced

Upcoming Events

Wizard World Comic Con Austin
November 17-19, 2017

Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans
January 5-7, 2017

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By chrisdvanne

The official funny thread
By Admirator

TSCC fanfictions
By The1Russter

obsessed with Summer
By diya123working

Josh Friedman news
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at San Francisco Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

The Fanart Thread
By chrisdvanne

Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
By chrisdvanne

Submit a News or Article
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at Wizard World Chicago Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

New comments

Admirator on: Fans share photos and stories of meeting Summer at San Francisco Comic Con

chrisdvanne on: Fans share photos and stories of meeting Summer at San Francisco Comic Con

Admirator on: Fans share photos and stories of meeting Summer at San Francisco Comic Con

chrisdvanne on: Fans share photos and stories of meeting Summer at San Francisco Comic Con

Lewis on: Fans share photos and stories of meeting Summer at San Francisco Comic Con

Lewis on: Fans share photos and stories of meeting Summer at San Francisco Comic Con

Jimmy PK on: Convention stories : Gregg's trip to Nashville to meet Summer

New videos

00:02:30

00:01:03

00:44:02

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 1 of 512345»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Cartoon continuation of TSCC project
Cartoon continuation of TSCC project
Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:25 GMT | Message # 1

Site Admin

As i said a few days ago, i have an ambitious project for all Summer Glau and TSCC fans (and Firefly fans in the future why not); it's at a very early stage (basically only in my mind) and it does not rely on me exclusively so that i cannot garantee its feasability; i will give you more info about it as soon as i progress.

To my knowledge, it has not been done among the TSCC community, whereas it's common in other tv show fandom. I'm working on it as i'm typing these lines and i can give you a first glance into what can be done (i'm not the cartoonist, i don't have that talent)

Summer Glau as Cameron

A sample of the drawings made for this project are in the Gallery.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 01:43

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:33 GMT | Message # 2

Friends

Good Luck with that. I would help, but I have never done any art in my life.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:36 GMT | Message # 3

Site Admin

Great drawing, is the identity of the cartoonist a secret?

You can't stop the signal!

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:38 GMT | Message # 4

Site Admin

Quote (FordStaff)
Good Luck with that. I would help, but I have never done any art in my life.

The project is not the fanart themselves, but what you can do with them. You've talked yourself about it (in another form) in the Wiki for days.

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:44 GMT | Message # 5

Friends

You've talked yourself about it (in another form) in the Wiki for days.

I'm sorry, but I just have no idea what you mean.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:45 GMT | Message # 6

Site Admin

Maybe it is a cartoon continuation of TSCC?

You can't stop the signal!

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 18:54 GMT | Message # 7

Site Admin

Quote (Fermi)
Maybe it is a cartoon continuation of TSCC?

wink

Date: Monday, 2011 Nov 07, 22:50 GMT | Message # 8

Site Admin

Quote (Fermi)
Great drawing, is the identity of the cartoonist a secret?

Yes!

We're still looking for the right way to draw Summer Glau. I have asked him to make a few drawings for me that i have already scanned and shall unveiled them soon.

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 00:35 GMT | Message # 9

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
The project is not the fanart themselves, but what you can do with them. You've talked yourself about it (in another form) in the Wiki for days.

I think its a great idea! I was a bit amused that while we explained our various theories we could basically write fanfics ourselves with that material. There are very good and innovative ideas I think which'd worth implementing.

And those without artistic skills can participate too. One problem with the Calendar project was in my opinion that people like me can't do much about it other than giving ideas because I really, really suck with photoshop. But here we can help by what we always do: making theories about TSCC and its continuation. I'm definitely better with words than with photoshop.

Quote (michelangelo)
We're still looking for the right way to draw Summer Glau. I have asked him to make a few drawings for me that i have already scanned and shall unveiled them soon.

It won't be a walk in the park, Summers face is extremely hard to do right so it has a real Summer-ish feeling( saw many failed attempts). Its not easy to reproduce that level of perfection biggrin . But I saw a few good attempts too already so its not impossible I guess, good luck!

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 00:40

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 01:01 GMT | Message # 10

Site Admin

Quote (Blazius)
It won't be a walk in the park, Summers face is extremely hard to do right so it has a real Summer-ish feeling( saw many failed attempts). Its not easy to reproduce that level of perfection

My goal is not to make a photo-like version of Cameron and John; the drawing should have it's own style and personality. Until now, i'm satisfied with the version i uploaded in my first post (minor details can be changed though); i also have to respect the style of the artist somehow, even if i decide ultimately. The girl portrayed here looks not too young, nor too old imo and is really beautiful.

I will soon show you different portraits and ask for your opinion.

Quote (Blazius)
But here we can help by what we always do: making theories about TSCC and its continuation.

Contribution from Wiki members would be very much appreciated indeed; it's not the time though. The artist and i have planned to do a number of fanarts first to get used to the drawings and to TSCC universe. Thinking about a comics will come later in the process.

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 20:51 GMT | Message # 11

Site Admin

Back to Summer's aspect in the future fanart.
I will show you various representation of Cameron taken from the net as well as drawing from the cartoonist participating to this project and give my preferences; feel free to give your opinion too.
Click on thumbnails for bigger image.

This representation of Cameron is cute and also like-looking but maybe too child looking for my taste.
Summer Glau as Cameron in TSCC cartoon

This one is a free interpretation of the artist, using its own manga style. If the context is enough to indicate we're talking about John and Cameron, i would prefer a more like-looking image. More, people in manga look ten years younger than their real age; given than occidentals (American and Europeans) don't share these visual codes, i prefer older looking Cameron and John.

I like this one because the characters portrayed in this case seem to have the proper age (teenagers in TSCC); also they share a good ressemblance with John and Cameron.

Here is another trial from the artist; though beautiful, the women portayed here don't match exactly the image i'd like to see in future drawings.

I have to take into account the skills and the style of the artist participating though, this is why i don't advocate a striking ressemblance, as long as the characters pleases us. Also it's one thing to make an accurate picture of Summer Glau taken from a promo pic but drawing a character in a drawing board or a comic is a completely different exercise.

Side note : i have the feeling to start a project from scratch like what we did for The Summer Glau Calendar; i hope the final product will be as rewarding.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 21:12

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 22:49 GMT | Message # 12

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
I like this one because the characters portrayed in this case seem to have the proper age (teenagers in TSCC); also they share a good ressemblance with John and Cameron.

This is the best so far I think. I don't support the idea to make it manga style. TSCC is too western for it, you can't really adapt it into a manga.

Quote (michelangelo)
Here is another trial from the artist; though beautiful, the women portayed here don't match exactly the image i'd like to see in future drawings.

It could use some more work I think. Beautiful picture but I think it needs to resemble Summer a bit more. Not like a photo but some small trait is enough so we all think about Summer when we see it.

Quote (michelangelo)
Side note : i have the feeling to start a project from scratch like what we did for The Summer Glau Calendar; i hope the final product will be as rewarding.

Will we also send it to Summer when its completed?

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 23:41 GMT | Message # 13

Site Admin

Quote (Blazius)
This is the best so far I think. I don't support the idea to make it manga style. TSCC is too western for it, you can't really adapt it into a manga.

We share the same views Blazius. Unfortunately this drawing is not from the artist who is willing to help us (let's call him Eric), only the last one is.

I have to deal with the artist skills and he is basically a manga cartoonist. But i will weight as much as i can so that the style will not be too manga-ish.
Eric's drawing in my first post is fine imo, it just have to be a little bit more like-looking and it will be perfect.

Quote (Blazius)
Will we also send it to Summer when its completed?

We have to make there is no copyrigth issues when making a fanzine first.

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Nov 08, 23:51 GMT | Message # 14

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
I have to deal with the artist skills and he is basically a manga cartoonist. But i will weight as much as i can so that the style will not be too manga-ish.
Eric's drawing in my first post is fine imo, it just have to be a little bit more like-looking and it will be perfect.

Yes, the manga influence is minimal. But its a bit too "conventional hot girl"-ish I think. He should think less about Cameron is supposed to be hot and more about how Summer looks like I think. Thats my feeling about the pictures.

Date: Wednesday, 2011 Nov 09, 00:17 GMT | Message # 15

Site Admin

I will tie Eric to a chair with a blank paper and a pencil until he makes these two pics identical.

Summer Glau as Cameron in TSCC

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Cartoon continuation of TSCC project
Page 1 of 512345»
Search: