menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
chrisdvanne_ Post # 316 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 01:11
Group: Administrators
This screencap does not reflect Summer's beauty as the Calendar's cover should.
The lead i provided is not necessary the right one; one should try and maybe be lucky.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 02 Jun 2011, 01:26

Fermi Post # 317 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 01:29
Quote (michelangelo)
This screencap does not reflect Summer's beauty

but is reflect her awesome acting, it is one of her strongest Firefly scene.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 318 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 01:41
Quote (Fermi)
but is reflect her awesome acting

The filmstrip on the monthly graphics are used for this; the filmstrip on the cover is an insight into the monthly graphics, basically an information; but the rest of the cover must be pure beauty.
My top graphics are not ellligible because a collage does not highlight Summer's beauty. A graphic similar to my "she's coming" could have been used if only Summer's head was featured.

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 02 Jun 2011, 01:51

Fermi Post # 319 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 02:09
I think the cover is fine. A third opinion on this would be appreciated.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 320 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 17:27
The cover : i've tried different filters to highlight the filmstrip but none were satisfying.

I've come to the conclusion that it would be difficult to highlight the complex shape of the filmstrip; creating a beautiful graphic and then adding a filmstrip or vignettes might be easier.
I've made the following example quickly to show you what could be done; everything could be changed of course, the layout, the main graphic, the background, the vignettes (i inserted only 6 of the 12 to go faster).

Attachments: 9900209.jpg(364.0 Kb)

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 02 Jun 2011, 17:28

Fermi Post # 321 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 18:44
Here is the filmstrip without a background

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
If we going to create a special graphic for the calendar cover. I suggest combining caps from strong character scenes for example River, Cameron,Orwell, Bennett and Alison.

Here is an good example (but with just Alison) how it could be constructed.

Fermi Post # 322 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 23:03
here is what I made. The quality could be made better.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 323 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 23:18
The purpose of a cover is not to tell a story or highlight Summer's work; it is to have a visual with great impact at first sight.
By using a collage or combining such screencaps, the eye of the viewer is confused because there is a lot of visual elements and you fail at creating an immediate visual impact, even if the picture is well constructed. The pict you uploaded is good for a monthly calendar but not for the cover imo.
A way to create visual impact is to focus on Summer's head and add nice effects like i did; there must be some other way i did not think of. The filmstrip or vignettes are a secondery element to recall it is a calendar.
The example i gave earlier is not very creative but fills these requests.

Edit : my answer was to message #321 but is valid for message #322. As usual you'll have the last word.

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 02 Jun 2011, 23:30

chrisdvanne_ Post # 324 | Thursday, 02 Jun 2011 - 23:37
I have received a message from a deviantart member asking to participate to the calendar :
My Deviant account
Launcher2027 account

Launcher2027 12 hours ago
Hi michelangelo!

Summer Glau Wiki 2012 calendar connection would be some question.
Is onto him opportunity that one of my Summer Glau picture to appear in the calendar? If so under what conditions?
The finished calendar where can be then obtained from?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Launcher

Summer Glau rules!!!!!!!!

What's your stance on that request Fermi ?

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 02 Jun 2011, 23:38

Fermi Post # 325 | Friday, 03 Jun 2011 - 02:14
Quote (michelangelo)

What's your stance on that request Fermi ?

No it is too late. I'll upload the calendar to deviantart and the gallery here when I get November.

Fermi Post # 326 | Friday, 03 Jun 2011 - 02:15
Quote (michelangelo)
The purpose of a cover is not to tell a story or highlight Summer's work; it is to have a visual with great impact at first sight.
By using a collage or combining such screencaps, the eye of the viewer is confused because there is a lot of visual elements and you fail at creating an immediate visual impact, even if the picture is well constructed. The pict you uploaded is good for a monthly calendar but not for the cover imo.
A way to create visual impact is to focus on Summer's head and add nice effects like i did; there must be some other way i did not think of. The filmstrip or vignettes are a secondery element to recall it is a calendar.
The example i gave earlier is not very creative but fills these requests.

Edit : my answer was to message #321 but is valid for message #322. As usual you'll have the last word.

Just having the cover focusing on Summers head is just weaker and non creative. Therefore we will not do it like that.

Fermi Post # 327 | Friday, 03 Jun 2011 - 02:16
The Cover:
Photobucket
Feedback and opinions from someone else than Michelangelo is appreciated.

Fermi Post # 328 | Friday, 03 Jun 2011 - 14:50
When you buy a book the cover should be representing the content in the book. The graphic on the cover gives the viewer an insight what kind of graphics to expect in the calendar and should not be misleading.

Now Michelango example does not give any impression at all. If the graphic was better done it might have an impact, but it would fail reflecting the content in the calendar.

We agreed on using a more professional looking filmstrip and not thumbnails to represent the different graphics in the calendar no reason to change that now.

The cover and the last graphic sums up the entire calender and sends a strong message. IMHO that is awesome.

I've put much work on this cover and I want feed back. A third opinion on this should not be too much to ask about.

Granite Post # 329 | Friday, 03 Jun 2011 - 15:17
Group: Friends
Without spiral filmstrip would have been better, IMHO.

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Fermi Post # 330 | Friday, 03 Jun 2011 - 16:18
Quote (Granite)
Without spiral filmstrip would have been better

Well having the spiral filmstrip of all calendar graphics by magic coming out of Rivers stick (that really was a gun) is a very original way to put a thumbnail representation of the graphics on the cover. Making an other that might work better will be a very time consuming taskt. The option is to not have it all, in my IMO that would not be better

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
Search: