[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 3123»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Summer and dance (About Summer and dance)
Summer and dance
ThierryDate: Tuesday, 01 May 2012, 21:12 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
As we know, Summer got a very deep dance training before beginning to act. But her skills in dancing, her natural grace is something which can be noticed when she acts. Even if her character is a robot ! I only speak about TSCC and Serenity, I haven't seen the other stuff in which she is (I know, I have some delay biggrin ).

Yesterday, during a hard day at work, I watched her dance rehearsal for TSCC, that I found especially touching. Her gestures, how she moves as fluid as water is something I find... relaxing, light and very poetic. It was more than a break in the normal day... Of course, the TSCC episode in which she is dancing is very famous, and is maybe one of the most unforgettable scene of all the series.

To our pleasure, we can watch the same light gesture in the Serenity's battle scenes. Again, everything seems easy, although Summer trained hardly for it.

Actually, Summer's way of acting is a kind of dance. Even how she appears during the events, her way of being when she meets fans (there are some lucky people around her wink ), all of this is about : is she a (natural) ballerina ? An actress ? Both ? My answer to these question is simple : she is an artist.

And you, what's your opinion ?

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 01 May 2012, 21:43 | Message # 2
Group: Administrators
This is the video you're talking about :

I am no expert in ballet dance so i will simply quote Summer Glau; she used to train everyday for years in her youth but of course she has loosed a lot of her abilities since she stopped dancing, not to mention her feet injury. And yet she's a creature of extraordinary grace, on screen of course but also when she's on stage or in conventions.
This is something that has always surprised me in my everyday life ( i live near a theater), the fact that dancers or former ballet dancers are so easely recognisable because of the way they move and stands.

Of course most directors Summer has worked with have used her special abilities for our viewing pleasure and it contributd to forge her legend.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 01 May 2012, 21:43

ThierryDate: Tuesday, 01 May 2012, 21:54 | Message # 3
Thanks for the video, Chris, I forget to do a little cut-and-paste of the weblink for the thread....
That's exactly the one, which has to be watched and watched again.

I am not an expert in dance neither, although I had to compose music for some dance music choregraphies, more in the Merce Cunningham's style than in the classical style wink

But grace is grace anyway smile

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 02 May 2012, 19:11 | Message # 4
Quote (Thierry)
As we know, Summer got a very deep dance training before beginning to act. But her skills in dancing, her natural grace is something which can be noticed when she acts. Even if her character is a robot ! I only speak about TSCC and Serenity, I haven't seen the other stuff in which she is (I know, I have some delay ).

Yesterday, during a hard day at work, I watched her dance rehearsal for TSCC, that I found especially touching. Her gestures, how she moves as fluid as water is something I find... relaxing, light and very poetic. It was more than a break in the normal day... Of course, the TSCC episode in which she is dancing is very famous, and is maybe one of the most unforgettable scene of all the series.

To our pleasure, we can watch the same light gesture in the Serenity's battle scenes. Again, everything seems easy, although Summer trained hardly for it.

Actually, Summer's way of acting is a kind of dance. Even how she appears during the events, her way of being when she meets fans (there are some lucky people around her ), all of this is about : is she a (natural) ballerina ? An actress ? Both ? My answer to these question is simple : she is an artist.

And you, what's your opinion ?

Well, I perfectly agree of course since you seem to almost perfectly mirror my opinion on her. The last bit is the most perfect definition of Summer IMO. She is an artist. A true artist. IMO everything she does comes from that fact. By her very nature she creates beauty, beauty which reaches the soul of people.

It happened to me too so much that I had a hard day, or god forbid I was in a bad mood then I just watched Summer doing something, like one of her incredible performances or I watched her dance( this video in particular I saw probably a few thousand times) or even just speaking in an interview and then I literally felt that my exhaustion and bad mood gone away and I could see my problems in a much favorable light.

Its something which I can't get from any other person just her despite the vast numbers of actors out there which is why I'm so grateful that she is here for us.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

REGDate: Sunday, 06 May 2012, 09:49 | Message # 5
that video has a calming quality. i was pretty tense today and just now watching it i feel relaxed and at peace. the music helps with that too smile

Quote (Blazius)
It happened to me too so much that I had a hard day, or god forbid I was in a bad mood then I just watched Summer doing something, like one of her incredible performances or I watched her dance( this video in particular I saw probably a few thousand times) or even just speaking in an interview and then I literally felt that my exhaustion and bad mood gone away and I could see my problems in a much favorable light.

i am the same way as you Blazius. whenever i am in a bad mood or have had a bad day i just watch Summer and then i feel better. and also thinking back to when i met her helps too when i am somewhere where i don't have access to a t.v. or the internet.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Message edited by REG - Sunday, 06 May 2012, 09:54

ThierryDate: Sunday, 06 May 2012, 09:58 | Message # 6
Quote (REG)
am the same way as you Blazius. whenever i am in a bad mood or have had a bad day i just watch Summer and then i feel better. and also thinking back to when i met her helps too when i am somewhere where i don't have access to a t.v. or the internet.

...and so lucky man you are to have met her, dear REG, it must be unforgettable smile

REGDate: Sunday, 06 May 2012, 10:16 | Message # 7
yea it is unforgettable. i still can't believe it's just over 3 weeks later. it's like i'm in a dream and i never want to wake up biggrin

Message edited by REG - Monday, 07 May 2012, 10:38

ThierryDate: Sunday, 06 May 2012, 17:30 | Message # 8
I had to post this....

Stills Season 1

no need to explain why....

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 01:52 | Message # 9
Quote (REG)
the music helps with that too

Indeed! It gives it yet another layer which makes it more relaxing and beautiful. TSCC has a very good music score in general. One of the best moments is when Alison appears finally in Born to Run and the music just reaches its climax. Its a pretty strong scene IMO (and highlights who was the true star of the show wink )

Quote (REG)
when i am somewhere where i don't have access to a t.v. or the internet.

Its impossible for me to be somewhere without Summer content. My cell phone is loaded with my fav Summer pictures and interviews and my fav Summer episodes from TSCC, Dollhouse, Firefly, The 4400 + I have Serenity and Deadly Honeymoon plus this very scene on it biggrin .

I can't possible have a boring minute wherever I go even if I have to wait for a considerable time. biggrin

REGDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 10:42 | Message # 10
Quote (Blazius)
Its impossible for me to be somewhere without Summer content. My cell phone is loaded with my fav Summer pictures and interviews and my fav Summer episodes from TSCC, Dollhouse, Firefly, The 4400 + I have Serenity and Deadly Honeymoon plus this very scene on it biggrin .

oh yea i have some photos of Summer and videos on my phone too. but my phone sucks. the battery runs down too fast so i am going to be getting a new one in a few months. and i am going to make sure i get a huge sd card so i can store more videos and pictures. at the moment i have a tiny 8GB card which isn't enough for much.

i love that pic Thierry. infact i am going to put it on my phone right now!

ThierryDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 10:45 | Message # 11
Quote (REG)
i love that pic Thierry. infact i am going to put it on my phone right now!

on my phone too smile
this pic is a real wonder, especially Summer's gesture and the light of the scene.

REGDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 13:58 | Message # 12
i watched the video on the way home from work in the car while driving lol! it's so relaxing. i am still amazed at how graceful Summer is when doing ballet, and also in her acting. it looks so easy, but i bet it must take a lot of work to be good at it.

ThierryDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 14:17 | Message # 13
Quote (REG)
i watched the video on the way home from work in the car while driving lol! it's so relaxing. i am still amazed at how graceful Summer is when doing ballet, and also in her acting. it looks so easy, but i bet it must take a lot of work to be good at it.

I hope you could drive safe even with this video, dear REG smile

That's the point : she is so graceful in her movements that it seems to be easy. But it seems, actually you can see many years of work and the natural skills that Summer has for dance.

This grace can be noticed with some of her gestures when she played Cameron, but I guess Summer made big efforts to avoid it.

REGDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 14:40 | Message # 14
yea i did drive safe. i played the video while waiting at traffic lights. only a bit while actually moving.
yea i think you are right about Summer making efforts to avoid the ballet gestures. i remember in the episode Demon Hand the ballet instructor saying "your upper body is a little mechanical". i think that she did that consciously to show that a terminator can mimic human movement but because a machine has no soul it doesn't have the poise and grace to dance like a human.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 May 2012, 19:29 | Message # 15
Quote (REG)

IMO it only looks easy because you're looking at a true, natural master doing it. I don't know much about ballet but regarding acting while I believe that Summer is working very hard on her roles I don't think anybody else could do it that perfectly even if he/she worked on it ten times as hard as Summer. On the level Summer is doing it, its her born natural talent which allows her doing such stellar performances. No amount of practice would do it IMO. So I'd say Summers performances are the fruits of hard work and natural talent combined.

BTW I'd never attempt watching Summer while driving. I'd almost certainly cause a huge accident if I attempted it( I couldn't concentrate on anything else) biggrin

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Summer and dance (About Summer and dance)
Page 1 of 3123»
Search: