menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 09:03 | Message # 31
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
I think that it is quite clear which fan-base approach is superior and there should be no problem decrying fans who only care about superficial aspects. The vibe from the forums and site seems to me to suggest that a fan who makes it clear they only appreciate Summer because of her looks would be all sorts of unwelcome here (as it should be).

I would not say that; all fans of Summer Glau are welcome on the Summer Glau Wiki. I would not want the Summer Glau Wiki to sound like an elitist and snobish club. I don't expect everyone to have smart opinions on every subject (i don't).

And if someone visits the Wiki only for sexy pictures from the FHM or Esquire photoshoot, that is fine with me. These photoshoots are the things that attract the most people in the fansites when they show up; one can hope that these casual visitors will find the site attractive and come back . In your opinion, why do i make fanart with these sexy stills?

You can compare the Summer Glau Wiki problematic to Summer's, evoked in this thread : do the Wiki wants to remain high profile but confidential or does it want to expand its fanbase (and hopefully expand Summer's at the same time) and offer a larger range of threads? Personally i have chosen the second path and i have not the feeling to have sold my soul to the devil for all that.

This is why i try to create various thread so as to offer an interest to a maximum of visitors, whether they look for an informative discussion or for a funny thread. More, one can want to see both, depending on their mood.

Side note : the strategy and overall look and feel of the Wiki is not your decision, nor mine, it's entirely Fermi's and Charley's. But that doesn't mean we cannot suggest and try to improve the Wiki like we do everyday biggrin

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 09:38 | Message # 32
Group: Friends
Side note : the strategy and overall look and feel of the Wiki is not your decision, nor mine, it's entirely Fermi's and Charley's. But that doesn't mean we cannot suggest and try to improve the Wiki like we do everyday biggrin

I was at no time under the impression that my opinion on the strategy and overall look of the site mattered to any degree, I am quite aware and accepting that my opinion is irrelevant. In my impassioned posts if I cross the line in my assumptions I sincerely apologize.

In your opinion, why do i make fanart with these sexy stills?

In my opinion it is because you find Summer Glau a good subject for such things due to her attractiveness. I do not find this a problem at all; I know for a fact from the content of your many posts that you value Summer as more than just eye candy.

Let me clarify that I do not find anything wrong with finding Summer attractive and discussing that. I only find it wrong to consider yourself a fan of a performance artist because of the sole fact that they are hot, when you do not appreciate and recognize their talent. I find that degrading to a large degree. I do recognize that it is wrong for me to assume that others on the forums thought the same thing.

One thing I do know with very little assumption from the posts in the forum is that the majority of the posters are fans of Summer Glau the person, before they are fans of Summer Glau the body. That is why I made the wrong assumption that the majority on this site would not particularly like those who are only fans of Summer Glau the body and do not recognize the person behind it. I promised myself I would stop making assumptions, I did not last long. I suppose you are correct that such people should be welcome to the site if they add to a discussion. I just do not believe they should get to call themselves a fan of a person that may as well be no more than a body to them.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 10:05

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 15:17 | Message # 33
Quote (FordStaff)
I have no idea what you are suggesting here as the reason for suspicion is not clear to me.

I tried to imply that people who at least have an idea of what makes somebody a good actor and are able to look past her beauty and see the talent are appreciating her too e.g it can be safely assumed that she is as good as we think.

Quote (FordStaff)
Even beauty has its drawbacks and this is certainly one of them. It is quite distracting and those with low attention spans will not get the magnificence of the full picture. Then again lacking beauty in our society often times deprives even the chance to offer art in arenas such as acting.

Yes but without beauty she wouldn't even have the chance to show what she has as you said. Not to a degree she did already let alone becoming A-list.
For once its not only female issue but its also true to male actors that if you are looking good you'll fare better.

Quote (FordStaff)
In my opinion it is because you find Summer Glau a good subject for such things due to her attractiveness. I do not find this a problem at all; I know for a fact from the content of your many posts that you value Summer as more than just eye candy.

Let me clarify that I do not find anything wrong with finding Summer attractive and discussing that. I only find it wrong to consider yourself a fan of a performance artist because of the sole fact that they are hot, when you do not appreciate and recognize their talent. I find that degrading to a large degree. I do recognize that it is wrong for me to assume that others on the forums thought the same thing.

One thing I do know with very little assumption from the posts in the forum is that the majority of the posters are fans of Summer Glau the person, before they are fans of Summer Glau the body. That is why I made the wrong assumption that the majority on this site would not particularly like those who are only fans of Summer Glau the body and do not recognize the person behind it. I promised myself I would stop making assumptions, I did not last long. I suppose you are correct that such people should be welcome to the site if they add to a discussion. I just do not believe they should get to call themselves a fan of a person that may as well be no more than a body to them.

Personally I wouldn't be here if I'd only find Summers beauty her only value.
Don't get me wrong, Summer is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen but especially Hollywood has tons of beautiful women, this alone wouldn't make me admire Summer to the degree I'm admiring her now. It certainly draw my attention to her but after I found out her other qualities this aspect of her has become only a small bonus.

I don't necessarily hate those who can't look past her beauty and see the magnificent person behind it but I somewhat pity them for not being able to see what she has to offer. The beauty of her work and the beauty of her personality can give you far more, its more rewarding to watch than her physical beauty in my opinion.

The sad thing is that a very few people are able to recognize a true artist and enjoy her gifts far less than in the past. They arguably miss an important aspect of life in my opinion.

Part of the problem(especially with female actors) is that many movie only uses beautiful actresses as eyecandy and rarely portrays them as a person and the audience got used to it for example. What is unique in us I think is that we and many Summer fans recognize her as a person and has many respect towards her.

This is also the reason why Summer fans are so loyal to Summer. You can admire an artist and a person through a lifetime but you'll get bored with an eyecandy rather quickly and move on.

Still as michelangelo said its better if we are open to everyone than barricade ourselves form the rest of the population as an "elite club".

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 16:09 | Message # 34
No need to apologize, FordStaff, i value your passionate opinion as well as others like Blazius; but i always try to think to the lurkers and casuals visitors in my posts; the forum is made by and for the active members but also for the hundreds of daily visitors.

The posters are a minority compared to the registered members or to the daily visitors; and being vocal does not mean others cannot have different opinions or motivations. How can we hope to make look past Summer's beauty and discover Summer's talent if we exclude them first?

I have little to no way of knowing what is the lurkers motivation to visit the site but i hope they will join the active members some day. This is why i try to avoid comments that gives the feeling the Summer Glau Wiki is a private club, whereas on the opposite it's an open website where every member has the possibility to express himself in the forum or by creating threads.

Sorry if i sound boring wink

ChrisDate: Sunday, 30 Oct 2011, 15:20 | Message # 35
Quote (Blazius)
Still as michelangelo said its better if we are open to everyone than barricade ourselves form the rest of the population as an "elite club".

This can't be an elite club it let me in biggrin

Still the more people that see her work and talents the better as it means her work is shared with new people or fans get a chance to see some of her older work that they may not be aware of I admit I saw her in The Angel Episode of Waiting in the Wings same as I remember the Serenity Poster but it never hit me that it was her when I started following her in TSCC until I did research on findng more of her work.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 28 Nov 2011, 18:43 | Message # 36
Here is what Summer Glau said in a 2009 interview with scifitalk, while promoting the release of DC Universe Animated Original Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

DC Universe Animated Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Summer Glau

If you could wish for your next role, what would you want to play?

SUMMER GLAU: I think what I’m focusing on the most right now is just growing as an actress, and really being around actors that push me to be better. I’d like to grow — and as I grow up, I’d like to play more adult roles. I’d like to play a woman. I’ve played a lot of girls and teenagers, but I’m not a teenager anymore. So I’d like to try to push myself in that direction. I want to keep doing TV; I love to do film; I should try to do comedy, even though I’m terrified of trying to be funny. I’ve always wanted to do a western and I’d love to do a period film. Besides that, I just want to keep pushing myself.

Doesn't sound sound like someone who is satisfied with herself but like someone who wants to progress and try different things; Summer doesn't say directly she wants to be an a-lister and break through in Hollywood but i think it's implied.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 28 Nov 2011, 19:53 | Message # 37
Quote (michelangelo)
Doesn't sound sound like someone who is satisfied with herself but like someone who wants to progress and try different things; Summer doesn't say directly she wants to be an a-lister and break through in Hollywood but i think it's implied.

I don't think its a question if she wants more and better roles. Why wouldn't she? Arguably A-listers have access to a wider range of roles than her category and in this sense she'd likely want to be an A-lister.

However the real question is if she is willing to make the required sacrifices and if she is willing to bear all the hardships of being an A-lister. Thats a harder question because the A-lister world is not for true artists like her IMO. And if she wants more and better roles to become a more satisfied artist then she won't get it there so it defeats the purpose of being an A-lister.

But its very hard to determine what she wants. I think even Summer herself doesn't know if she wants it or not.

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 28 Nov 2011, 19:56

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 00:23 | Message # 38
However the real question is if she is willing to make the required sacrifices and if she is willing to bear all the hardships of being an A-lister. Thats a harder question because the A-lister world is not for true artists like her IMO. And if she wants more and better roles to become a more satisfied artist then she won't get it there so it defeats the purpose of being an A-lister.

This is exactly what I was thinking, becoming an A-lister could be a self defeating goal if artistry is the true drive.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 20:02 | Message # 39
Quote (FordStaff)
This is exactly what I was thinking, becoming an A-lister could be a self defeating goal if artistry is the true drive.

Universal Pictures chief Ron Meyer gave himself the explanation why so many films are crap (his own words) via Io9 :

Quote (Io9)
Universal Pictures chief Ron Meyer caused a splash late last week, when he admitted that "we do make a lot of shitty movies," and listed Land of the Lost, The Wolfman and Cowboys & Aliens among the studio's clunkers.
But the really fascinating thing about Meyer's presentation at the Savannah Film Festival was the insight he gave into why so many movies are crap: there's a kind of downward spiral where the more movies flop, the more risk-averse the studios become, and the more they make movies that are probably going to flop.

Read full article :Why We Can’t Have Great Movies

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 20:30 | Message # 40
Odd that Universal is a non-risk taker and yet they green lighted Serenity? I always found this very strange, but I am not going to complain. I can not think of any Universal movies that are better.

Business is mixed with art far more in the entertainment industry than in other art-forms. In part because of the huge sums of money needing to be pumped in to sustain it, but the downside are things such as this. I am not sure if the Entertainment industry as a whole underestimates the population or is spot on. It is difficult, I want to say that enough people will rise to a challenging and rewarding entertainment every once in a while, but at the same time I am not sure if I can fully endorse that view. History has shown time and time again that may not be very likely to happen. I think the most to hope for is that some good stuff can survive the process at all.

I must say that the comment at the end of the article grates on me quite a bit ---

And you know, sometimes diner food is pretty tasty. You just don't want to eat diner food for every meal.

I suppose it is fine to enjoy movies that are not pieces of work, but that does not mean we should be accepting that quality in the entertainment is hard to come by. If I was to go by his analogy, it would be more like with movies we get dinner once a week or even month, not once a day. The rest of the week/month we are forced to eat tasteless food that offers no substance.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 20:38

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 21:19 | Message # 41
Quote (FordStaff)
dd that Universal is a non-risk taker and yet they green lighted Serenity? I always found this very strange, but I am not going to complain. I can not think of any Universal movies that are better.

Well Whedon said Universal he could make Serenity for half the usual budget, hence the $40 millions dollars budget : this is what convinced them to produce it.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 21:30 | Message # 42
Well Whedon said Universal he could make Serenity for half the usual budget, hence the $40 millions dollars budget : this is what convinced them to produce it.

From what I have read, it seemed to me that Universal offered 100 million, but Whedon was a penny pincher who opted for a 40 million budget of his own accord. This would be good strategy, as it would improve chances of being allowed sequels. Not that it did any good sad . At least this is the impression I have gotten, that Whedon specifically opted for a lower budget when he could have gotten the 100 million.

Either way it was still a big risk in any ones book, which is quite obvious, because the movie did not even recover its gutted budget (without DVD sales anyways). Too bad Whedon could or did not get a two movie deal with the 100 million he was offered for Serenity instead of just going with a limited budget on one movie.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 21:44

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 22:30 | Message # 43
Whedon would have been roasted as a filmmaker if he had accepted the $100 millions offer biggrin

But whedon is certainly good at filming for a tight budget, as proven by his recent Much Ado About Nothing self-produced movie.
Also i remember readings about some tricks he used in Buffy the Vampire Slayer to cut the expenses like filming the cemetery scenes in the parking of the studio.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 22:49 | Message # 44
Whedon would have been roasted as a filmmaker if he had accepted the $100 millions offer

The backlash would have been terrible if that were the case, thank goodness he did not. It is not as if the movie suffered from the limited budget from what I can tell, it looked pretty damn good. How has he not been in high demand as a director if he can make a movie so good with such limitations (the limitations were not just financial, but severe limitations demographically- show watchers vs. non show watchers )?

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 23:32 | Message # 45
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Universal Pictures chief Ron Meyer gave himself the explanation why so many films are crap (his own words) via Io9 :

At least somebody admits that they indeed make crap movies.

I long finished watching blockbusters BTW, I only watch TV shows or older movies which I haven't seen yet and tons of rewatches. I figured its absolutely pointless to waste time on blockbusters anymore save for a few like Batman: The Dark Knight.

Maybe if more people realizes that they should take more risks like they did in the old times, there may be a slow coming back. I hope so.

Edit: Reading the full article indicates that Meyer haven't fully got it as I see but maybe he feels there are problems at least.

Quote (FordStaff)
I suppose it is fine to enjoy movies that are not pieces of work, but that does not mean we should be accepting that quality in the entertainment is hard to come by. If I was to go by his analogy, it would be more like with movies we get dinner once a week or even month, not once a day. The rest of the week/month we are forced to eat tasteless food that offers no substance.

Thats exactly how I feel too.

Quote (FordStaff)
The backlash would have been terrible if that were the case, thank goodness he did not. It is not as if the movie suffered from the limited budget from what I can tell, it looked pretty damn good. How has he not been in high demand as a director if he can make a movie so good with such limitations (the limitations were not just financial, but severe limitations demographically- show watchers vs. non show watchers )?

He had Summer at his disposal for Serenity, how the movie could be bad with her ?

Good actors, at least half decent directing and a good story beats high budget any day IMO.

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 23:50

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
Search: