menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
FordStaff Post # 16 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 03:07
Group: Friends
Why would one fear the worst of a-list actor's life would happen to Summer? Given some tangible elements like the love and affection of her family, her apparent strong moral values and such, i don't see why Summer would be tempted by the dark side of a famous actor's life you're describing (abuse of alcohol, drugs, excessive clubbing,...).There is no fatality.

There is more than just abuse of alcohol and drugs to ruin people. There will be more pressure on Summer in general if she were an A-lister. Some people are not willing or do not find that extra pressure worth whatever the benefits are.

Think of the United States Presidency considered just about the highest position a politician can attain. Yet very few actually liked having the job (JFK and TR are the ONLY ones to come to my mind) and even fewer politicians even would want to brave it. It is not because they are afraid they will abuse drugs from the pressure (well I am sure some) , but rather they do not find the trade off worth it. Sure you get more power and influence, but there is also more responsibility and on many matters you will have to conform and change your beliefs to stay within power.

Now the US Presidency is hardly the perfect analogy to becoming an A-lister, but it demonstrates the general principle. Of course we have no idea whether Summer is willing to take the trade off. It should still be pointed out that the trade off exists even for morally strong people like Summer and perhaps there is more of a trade off for such people. In fact I would argue that the trade off is much more pricey for shy people who actually have moral standards to become A-listers.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 03:36

Devo Post # 17 | Monday, 24 Oct 2011 - 03:39
I think most 'A-List' actors have done nudity at some point.

I am trying to think of one who hasn't.

It's Hollywood. Look at that woman that is playing Catwoman. Zero scruples.

FordStaff Post # 18 | Monday, 24 Oct 2011 - 03:49
I think most 'A-List' actors have done nudity at some point.

Does Summer have a problem with that?

The only thing I can think of related is that at the end of River's first scene in Serenity (pilot not movie) she told Joss Whedon that he would see god before he saw her naked or something similar. I can not remember the whole story though.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 03:56

termi-ninja-tor Post # 19 | Monday, 24 Oct 2011 - 04:19
Well, Summer appeared to be unclothed in the Firefly Pilot, as she emerged from the stasis box.

And she also appeared to be unclothed in the TSCC Pilot, after the bank vault time jump to the highway and the subsequent fight with the drunk thugs to get their clothes.

Of course, I expect that she might not have been truly naked in those shots, but could have had some special items to cover certain parts of her figure, not visible to the camera.

Would these qualify as "having done nudity"?

[edit add] There was also a deleted scene from Firefly where River was supposed to be unclothed while bathing in a stream, but apparently the woman used for that shot was a body double. If so, I don't think it would qualify as nudity for Summer even if it had not been deleted.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 04:23

FordStaff Post # 20 | Monday, 24 Oct 2011 - 04:26
I do not believe that counts. It would not even count if she really was naked in those scenes (which is probably not true because I doubt Joss has seen God) because she still was not shown naked in the final product. It is not about being naked or portrayed as naked. It is actually being shown naked to the audience that I believe Devo means.

Based off of that one situation that I mentioned with the Serenity pilot it is unlikely that Summer is particularly enthused about such a thing. Then again that was a long time ago sometimes views change (doubt it though). You know that quote from Summer has added humor when you consider the fact that Joss is an atheist.

Chris Post # 21 | Friday, 28 Oct 2011 - 05:26
I heard that Summer Glau picks roles based on characters that she would like to play rather then will it be a block buster chart topping succcess, if that means she is not an A lister or A list material then who really cares, she is an amazingly talented performer she was a ballerina until a foot injury cut her career short which in many ways I am thankful for as it directed her into the movie and TV industry where people like myself got to discover her talents.

For me Summer Glau is an A list actress not because she commands big dollars but because she is such a great actress comes across as a very genuine caring person in all the interviews I have seen of her and brings her roles to life I honestly cant think of another actress that would have me wanting to hug a Terminator and tell her everything will be ok I won't let anyone hurt you anymore right after she just killed someone and John or Sarah told her off for it if that isn't A class talent then what is for myself she brought the the asskicking Terminator to life while retaining an air of vulnerability to it that no A list actress of today could achieve.

FordStaff Post # 22 | Friday, 28 Oct 2011 - 06:56
For me Summer Glau is an A list actress not because she commands big dollars but because she is such a great actress comes across as a very genuine caring person in all the interviews I have seen of her and brings her roles to life

It is not just you I am certain everyone one who posts on this site has the same sentiments, but unfortunately we can not substitute reality and replace it with our own. In this discussion an A-lister refers to an actor who gets recurring roles in Blockbusters which Summer is certainly not. That however is of no relevance to her skill and talents which FAR surpass many A-listers even those who actually have some talent.

I heard that Summer Glau picks roles based on characters that she would like to play rather then will it be a block buster chart topping succcess, if that means she is not an A lister or A list material then who really cares, she is an amazingly talented performer she was a ballerina until a foot injury cut her career short which in many ways I am thankful for as it directed her into the movie and TV industry where people like myself got to discover her talents.

I would have to agree actually. Many people on this site seem to really want to see Summer become an A-lister, but if she can continue to get awesome roles in awesome shows should we really care if she becomes an A-lister in the first place (although hopefully her shows will gain a bit more longevity in the future)? She is clearly an entertainer and artist and so it is quite easily imaginable that she does not need to be an A-lister to be satisfied. Really all that I think we should particularly care for is some well deserved recognition for her acting talent.

Welcome to the site Chris.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 23 | Friday, 28 Oct 2011 - 09:31
Group: Administrators
Who am i for wanting Summer to become a A-lister at all costs? More, we don't have an insigth about her own desire. Still, i really want her to receive all the praises she deserves, for all the reasons you mentioned.

But there is another reason why i'd like her to become an A-lister; as an actif member of the Summer Glau Wiki, looking for the latest news about Summer in order to report them for all the members, i can only bemoan the news are too rare. As an observer of the american medias, i watch the career of one of FordStaff friends, Olivia Wilde, and i can tell you there is news everyday, wether it's professional news, magazine covers, various events she's attending,...

I have received offers from Angelina Jolie's and Olivia Wilde's fansites to join them and animate their forum, maybe i shoud consider joining them...

Nah, i'm joking, i'm too attached to the wonderful Summer Glau biggrin

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaff Post # 24 | Friday, 28 Oct 2011 - 09:42
i watch the career of one of FordStaff friends, Olivia Wilde

This is one of the few things that has made me laugh through text. I know I beat on Olivia Wilde, but she really is not so bad. It's just that she and Summer are suspiciously similar looking (yes they differ, but the resemblance is the closest I have seen), so Olivia makes an excellent scape goat to release my anger.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 28 Oct 2011, 09:47

chrisdvanne_ Post # 25 | Friday, 28 Oct 2011 - 10:23
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
This is one of the few things that has made me laugh through text. I know I beat on Olivia Wilde, but she really is not so bad. It's just that she and Summer are suspiciously similar looking (yes they differ, but the resemblance is the closest I have seen), so Olivia makes an excellent scape goat to release my anger.

I like to quote Olivia Wilde myself. To make short : as you say they look similar, Olivia has had the path Summer could have had to become an A-lister and it's interesting to notice Olivia fans never mention her acting skills but comment on her looks all the time, missing the essence of an actress imo. If we can comment on Summer's looks, i'm glad there is much more we can discuss about on the Summer Glau Wiki.

Edit : Blazius and i have had the opportunity to discuss these points previously on the Wiki.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 28 Oct 2011, 10:24

FordStaff Post # 26 | Friday, 28 Oct 2011 - 10:42
If we can comment on Summer's looks, i'm glad there is much more we can discuss about on the Summer Glau Wiki.

I would never have made an account if this was not the case, not that there is anything wrong with complimenting or discussing Summer's looks. The sign that the fans on this site are of high quality is that looks are not the primary concern.

Blazius Post # 27 | Saturday, 29 Oct 2011 - 00:28
Quote (FordStaff)
I would never have made an account if this was not the case, not that there is anything wrong with complimenting or discussing Summer's looks. The sign that the fans on this site are of high quality is that looks are not the primary concern.

I think the ultimate problem is that not many people understands what Summer really has to offer to the world. Her art is far deeper than the average person could appreciate. Its like comparing pop music to classical music. Pop music is far more popular, mainstream but classical music is more artistic, requires more skill from the composer to do it, its more perfect. I think its enough to see the overall tone of The Wiki and you can easily see the the difference between the fans of Summer and other celebrities.

The positive reception she always gets from more professional people like many journalists from prominent websites (for example in the case of her Alphas guest appearance) is also suspicious.

I don't want to start a debate which kind of fanbase or approach is better. It is the same as debating if classical music or popmusic is better, everybody should reach his/her own conclusion.

Sadly according to the rules of Hollywood "pop music" is far better while in my personal opinion its not.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaff Post # 28 | Saturday, 29 Oct 2011 - 04:57
The positive reception she always gets from more professional people like many journalists from prominent websites (for example in the case of her Alphas guest appearance) is also suspicious.

I have no idea what you are suggesting here as the reason for suspicion is not clear to me.

I don't want to start a debate which kind of fanbase or approach is better. It is the same as debating if classical music or popmusic is better, everybody should reach his/her own conclusion.

I think that it is quite clear which fan-base approach is superior and there should be no problem decrying fans who only care about superficial aspects. The vibe from the forums and site seems to me to suggest that a fan who makes it clear they only appreciate Summer because of her looks would be all sorts of unwelcome here (as it should be).

I think the ultimate problem is that not many people understands what Summer really has to offer to the world. Her art is far deeper than the average person could appreciate.

Even beauty has its drawbacks and this is certainly one of them. It is quite distracting and those with low attention spans will not get the magnificence of the full picture. Then again lacking beauty in our society often times deprives even the chance to offer art in arenas such as acting.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 04:58

termi-ninja-tor Post # 29 | Saturday, 29 Oct 2011 - 06:57
Quote (FordStaff)

Similar poses here:

Summer as River --
[img]http://www.sarahconnorfans.com/photos/album/159925/Summer%27s+Looks/photo/9248043/-[/img]

Olivia looking a bit disheveled --
[img]http://www.sarahconnorfans.com/photos/album/159925/Summer%27s+Looks/photo/9197400/-[/img]

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 07:05

FordStaff Post # 30 | Saturday, 29 Oct 2011 - 08:39
http://www.sarahconnorfans.com/photos/album/159925/Summer%27s+Looks/photo/9248043/

This picture always bothered me because her eyes are blue for no apparent reason. At all other times River's eyes are brown just like Summer's, yet for this picture they throw that out the window. I guess it was to convey her power or some such thing, but quite strange and unnecessary.

What strikes me is that Summer could be considered the more baby-faced Olivia or reversed, Olivia could be considered the more mature faced Summer (although Summer's face has matured a bit more now that she is in her thirties, but it still applies even now). If it is agreed that Summer is more baby-faced while Olivia is more mature faced it is ironic in a way since Summer has the brown eyes and Olivia the light blue.

Of course I am not saying that Summer does not have mature facial features. In fact attractiveness in the female face is a mixture of baby-faced and mature features (ex. attractive female mature facial feature - pronounced cheek bones ex. attractive female baby face feature - big eyes). Clearly both Olivia and Summer have very attractive faces so each have a mixture of mature to baby facial features, but considering the similarity I would say Summer is the more baby-faced if I go off of initial feel from comparing.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 09:07

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
Search: