menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
FordStaff Post # 1 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 07:28
Group: Friends
I have read various topics on this forum and gather a consensus that Summer Glau ought to become an A-list celebrity. Summer Glau is one of the best actors there are around and certainly deserves to be A-lister.

However there is an important factor that I have not seen discussed. Does Summer want to become an A-List actor?

She is pretty shy after all. A-list actors have considerably more strain on them in that department (and others). I know that as fans everyone on this sight wants to see her become as successful as possible ,but not every person finds it optimal for their well-being to take the path considered the most victorious by the general population. Some people simply can not handle the Hollywood hype machine, not that she could not handle it. I am getting at that perhaps she would not want to live that life.

I am a pretty recent convert to becoming a Summer fan so I have not seen an encyclopaedic amount of interviews and what not, but from what I have seen this seems like a possibility. It was just something bothering me when reading all the posts endorsing her participation in a blockbuster (me included) and I believe that this may be a true concern.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 07:28

termi-ninja-tor Post # 2 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 07:39
Quote (FordStaff)
I have read various topics on this forum and gather a consensus that Summer Glau ought to become an A-list celebrity. Summer Glau is one of the best actors there are around and certainly deserves to be A-lister. However there is an important factor that I have not seen discussed. Does Summer want to become an A-List actor? She is pretty shy after all. A-list actors have considerably more strain on them in that department (and others). I know that as fans everyone on this sight wants to see her become as successful as possible ,but not every person finds it optimal for their well-being to take the path considered the most victorious by the general population. Some people simply can not handle the Hollywood hype machine, not that she could not handle it. I am getting at that perhaps she would not want to live that life. I am a pretty recent convert to becoming a Summer fan so I have not seen an encyclopaedic amount of interviews and what not, but from what I have seen this seems like a possibility. It was just something bothering me when reading all the posts endorsing her participation in a blockbuster (me included) and I believe that this may be a true concern.

I think you are right that Summer would not want to live the A-lister's lifestyle. But I think she would appreciate the A-lister's money and ability to choose from a wider range of acting jobs, including working with the top people. My speculation is that she might be willing to make that trade at this point. I expect however that it would be a more difficult trade for actresses with families, especially those with young children, and they might prefer to choose differently. But these are just my guesses.

FordStaff Post # 3 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 07:53
I think you are right that Summer would not want to live the A-lister's lifestyle. But I think she would appreciate the A-lister's money and ability to choose from a wider range of acting jobs, including working with the top people. My speculation is that she might be willing to make that trade at this point.

Yes it certainly is a big trade off in this mix. On the one side is more money and influence for work choices. On the other hand more fame and therefore less privacy. I am probably missing some things there but that is the gist. As a shy person she will be more vulnerable to the fame part though so that is why I am not so certain this is a clear cut deal.

Blazius Post # 4 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 10:04
I was pondering on this question too. Summer is not somebody who'd do everything for the success. She seems to have relatively tight moral principles she follows and I heard her turning down roles if she doesn't like them. I don't think an A-list can be so picky as there is a large competition and they must beat each other even in the "do more disgusting things" department.

I said before that I'd really, really like to see her on the top, she deserves it and if it based on solely on talent then she'd be crowned as Queen of Hollywood long ago but its not. I'd say only Summer knows if she is willing to change enough and if its worth it. Of course she'd first need to find a movie which'd get her to the A-list.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaff Post # 5 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 11:10
Summer is not somebody who'd do everything for the success

I would not phrase it that way. I think that she is not doing acting for the fame that is for sure.

I do think she wants to be successful but more from the point of view of an artist who wants to create something or also an entertainer who wants to entertain people. At least that is the vibe that I have gotten from the interviews I have seen (she also just plain enjoys it).

So no not successful in the Hollywood sense, but that is a good thing not a bad thing. Success for someone like her on the A-list means shamelessly flaunting your body, acting skill or talent is of secondary importance.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 16:51
Group: Administrators
Of course Summer would like to be a A-lister, that's every actor's dream. It's just she's not the type who claims on every interview that she'd love to be in a movie with Spielberg or that the lead female role in Wonder Woman is made for her (and pose in suggestive outfit to prove it), as many other actresses do.

I've seen Summer's name on a lot of list in search for the next Lara Croft (succeding to Angelina Jolie) ; what stricked me most of the time is that Summer was the only name in those lists who hasn't filmed a blockbuster already. But these list are only wishful thinking from the author, they have no legitimity and don't reflect Hollywood execs choices.

And if being on the a-list means more exposure in the media, it doesn't mean automatically you have to expose your private life. Again, Summer Glau is not the clubbing type and i don't see why it would change in the future; i can't imagine a sex tape or photos of her drunk after a party popping up online or on magazines.

To be honest, i don't recall Summer mentioned that subject directly on interviews and i can just speculate from what i've seen. We have no elements to prove one way or the other to my knowledge.

But the ideal path in an actor's career is to be hired in successful movies; if an actor started his career in movies directly, they're perpetually seeking for hits and if an actor started in tv shows, they're seeking for the big screen. I have no doubt that David Boreanaz or Nathan Fillion would like to be in crap movies yielding $300 millions at the box office, even if their salary per episode is respectively $200 000 in Bones (FOX) and $100 000 in Castle (ABC). But they can be reassured, it will never happen simply because they don't have the correct profile in Hollywoods execs eyes.

It doesn't normally work the other way round (movies actors going from movies to tv shows), except that Hollywood has changed recently and there is only almost two categories of films left nowadays : blockbusters with top list actors or indie movies. It means that solid movies actors but not on top of the list have sometimes no other choice than going on tv (tv shows are more than happy to have big names on the cast).

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaff Post # 7 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 22:44
And if being on the a-list means more exposure in the media, it doesn't mean automatically you have to expose your private life. Again, Summer Glau is not the clubbing type and i don't see why it would change in the future; i can't imagine a sex tape or photos of her drunk after a party popping up online or on magazines.

I did not mean it like that. There is no denying that A-listers will get far more paparazzi and fans who will harass them in public than they would have otherwise. Not to mention that they are expected to do far more interviews and other such things which are the exact type of thing that Summer does not look comfortable while doing. Not to mention that there is far more gossip, prying and criticizing of the lives of A-listers although Summer would likely avoid this for the most part by not being crazy or out there.

Of course Summer would like to be a A-lister, that's every actor's dream.

I do not think that is necessarily true. Summer was not an actor to begin with she did it as an alternative so she could still continue to be an artists. Perhaps she does want to, but it should not be automatically assumed.

But the ideal path in an actor's career is to be hired in successful movies;

As I said not everyone finds it the best for themselves to follow the "ideal" path of their profession. Not every governor and senator desires or seeks to become president and then retire. Sticking with the politician profession there was John Quincy Adams who after becoming a one term president went back to the House and worked there till his death literally dieing while still at work. We can be almost certain he would never have done such a thing in the position of president had he the choice to. People can prefer the less "ideal" positions as there are trade offs you have to make for everything even being top dog.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 22 Oct 2011, 23:05

Blazius Post # 8 | Saturday, 22 Oct 2011 - 23:31
Quote (michelangelo)

Okay, then why are the majority of the A-list actors are doing it in the first place. Surely it has a function unless they find it amusing to do so. Its undeniable that the clubbing, sex tapes and being drunk are popular nowadays and its considered "cool".

Even if the actors find amusing that everybody knows about their private life and doing it because of that they have far more ambition and they fit far more into the picture than Summer ever will because they like this lifestyle.

And if not they are still more competitive because they are willing to do far more than Summer would. So with the high competition she'd have to face she'd be outmatched in the blink of an eye unless changing drastically.

But I love Summer as she is so I wouldn't want that.

Quote (FordStaff)
I do not think that is necessarily true. Summer was not an actor to begin with she did it as an alternative so she could still continue to be an artists. Perhaps she does want to, but it should not be automatically assumed.

When I said she wouldn't do everything to become A-list I meant that she probably wants to become an A-list but not at any price. Although very rare there are people who has a point where she draws the line and with Summer it seems to be sacrificing her own personality and laying down to Hollywood.

Its possible she is rather content with just doing what she is doing now a living a peaceful, but happy life. Moreover lets face it the top stars life might not be that too happy at all. Why'd they use drugs and such? To keep up with the pace and its incredibly demanding. See how many actor or other artist died prematurely because their bodies just gave up.

I fear that Summer will not be recoqnised enough for her incredible talents but I'd fear more of that I'll once read the summerglauwiki news about Summer died of drug overuse or something. So if she wouldn't like to become an A-list because of same reasons then I'd fully support that choice of hers too.

FordStaff Post # 9 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 00:00
Its possible she is rather content with just doing what she is doing now a living a peaceful, but happy life. Moreover lets face it the top stars life might not be that too happy at all.

This is what I was sort of getting at. Becoming an A-list actor is not a guarantee of a better life in any sense and some people have the foresight to see this.

I fear that Summer will not be recoqnised enough for her incredible talents but I'd fear more of that I'll once read the summerglauwiki news about Summer died of drug overuse or something.

Based on Summer's personality and actions I personally would find this very very unlikely. If she could not handle being an A-lister I find it far more likely that you will get news that she has decided to call it quits and live with family to get away from it all or some such thing.

The fear that she will not be recognized for her talents as an A-list actor is a legitimate concern though. There will be many who are far more concerned with the superficial than anything else.

Blazius Post # 10 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 00:18
Quote (FordStaff)
Based on Summer's personality and actions I personally would find this very very unlikely. If she could not handle being an A-lister I find it far more likely that you will get news that she has decided to call it quits and live with family to get away from it all or some such thing.

I just wanted to say that I'd rather forget about her being all that successful if success could only be achieved by chasing her into that mad world, doing disgusting things and even killing herself in the end. It'd be a more horrifying fate than not being an A-list actor. I agree through that as we saw so far she wouldn't do it at all, she'd rather quit( which is a bit relieving I think).

I'd say "What is better than a successful Summer"? "A happy Summer biggrin "

termi-ninja-tor Post # 11 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 00:19
It would be nice if Summer could get A-list pay and roles but keep her quiet lifestyle. If she were recognized as a top actress, she is yet not required to go clubbing and get drunk in public, behave badly, etc.

Sure, there will be many paparazzi following her around and many fans, too. But she has been quiet and gracious in the past and she continue to be the same. Just ignore the paparazzi and smile at the fans. Why not?

Blazius Post # 12 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 00:25
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
It would be nice if Summer could get A-list pay and roles but keep her quiet lifestyle. If she were recognized as a top actress, she is yet not required to go clubbing and get drunk in public, behave badly, etc.

Sure, there will be many paparazzi following her around and many fans, too. But she has been quiet and gracious in the past and she continue to be the same. Just ignore the paparazzi and smile at the fans. Why not?

Sure, it'd be absolutely the best thing. But I'm not sure if becoming successful and maintaining her present marvelous self aren't mutually exclusive goals.

FordStaff Post # 13 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 00:37
I would have to second Blazius. That seems far too perfect a situation to work perfectly. We all know the plans never go smooth with Summer.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 14 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 00:54
Group: Administrators
Why would one fear the worst of a-list actor's life would happen to Summer? Given some tangible elements like the love and affection of her family, her apparent strong moral values and such, i don't see why Summer would be tempted by the dark side of a famous actor's life you're describing (abuse of alcohol, drugs, excessive clubbing,...).There is no fatality.
If these drifts exist, i don't see why an actor should decline the opportunity of becoming an a-lister in fear of them.

Some actors are 'good clients' for the gossip magazines and some are not, i have no doubt Summer would belong to the latter category.

As i said after i described the "ideal path", i know nothing about what drives Summer's choices for her own career (except maybe what she says in interviews but you know i give zero credit to it). The only tangible element would be her recent decision to change her talent agency (see "Summer Glau has switched agencies" on the forum), possibly revealing she felt not comfortable with the role she was proposed.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Blazius Post # 15 | Sunday, 23 Oct 2011 - 01:59
Quote (michelangelo)
Why would one fear the worst of a-list actor's life would happen to Summer? Given some tangible elements like the love and affection of her family, her apparent strong moral values and such, i don't see why Summer would be tempted by the dark side of a famous actor's life you're describing (abuse of alcohol, drugs, excessive clubbing,...).There is no fatality.

Maybe that'd be enough maybe don't, I've seen many good people going wrong already but Summer seems strong I agree and her connection to her family makes her even stronger resisting. But maybe she has no choice in the matter, she has to blend in. Todays media promotes the clubbing lifestyle vehemently enough and less enlightened people(major part of population) requires the same from the people they worship.

Another thing is that A-lists have a lot of strain on them, has to press forward constantly and that takes its toll. So said actor might turn to drugs to keep up but that and the stress could eventually kill her. See Heath Ledger about the dangers of Hollywood for example.

And what if she has to have sex or even marry to a producer to get a successful role? That much about morality.

Quote (michelangelo)
New trail if summer Glau wants to be the female lead in Transformers 4 : marry Michael Bay!

No kidding, how do you think Kate Beckinsale has been offered the female lead role for "Total Recall" reboot?
Very simple, she's married to the director, Len Wiseman.

She is currently shooting "Underworld 4: New Dawn" (set image below) :

http://summer-glau.com/forum/12-159-2#post

She doesn't have to get corrupted willingly, but out of necessity would also do the trick.

Quote (michelangelo)
If these drifts exist, i don't see why an actor should decline the opportunity of becoming an a-lister in fear of them.

She shouldn't decline anything I agree but once she gets there and if she can't handle it she should just leave instead of forcing it.

Quote (michelangelo)
As i said after i described the "ideal path", i know nothing about what drives Summer's choices for her own career (except maybe what she says in interviews but you know i give zero credit to it). The only tangible element would be her recent decision to change her talent agency (see "Summer Glau has switched agencies" on the forum), possibly revealing she felt not comfortable with the role she was proposed.

We know next to nothing about the woman named Summer Glau truly. We just see an idea, a public image but we don't know her really. We re just speculating about her possible motivation backed up by indirect and unreliable "proofs".

But what lies in her heart nobody knows save for Summer herself obviously.

Message edited by Blazius - Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 02:00

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Does Summer want to be an A-lister?
Search: