menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
Fermi Post # 841 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 02:22
Group: Administrators
Quote (Gargaros)
lol

Welcome to the wiki of Awesomeness Gargaros

You can't stop the signal!

Gargaros Post # 842 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 05:56
Group: Friends
Quote (Fermi)
Quote (Gargaros)lol Welcome to the wiki of Awesomeness Gargaros

Thanks, Fermi

termi-ninja-tor Post # 843 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 06:15
Is Summer too old to play the female lead in the remake of Dirty Dancing?

Apparently they are looking for people to cast for the remake, and there is a lot of speculation and chatter about the possible choices.

Jennifer Grey played the female lead (Frances "Baby" Houseman) in the original movie. She was born in 1960, and the movie was released in 1987.

If she's not too old, I think Summer would be an ideal candidate for the role, given her looks, acting ability, and dancing talent.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 844 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 07:33
@ termi-ninja-tor
You think like Blazius, aka in terms of creativity and ability. But Hollywood sees only one thing, aka the capacity to attract movie-goers and make more money. This is called to be bankable.

For an 'eye-candy' role in a blockbuster, Hollywood will choose preferably a young unkown actress (see Transformers 3 or Margarita Levieva -SuccuBeth- in next James Bond) but for a leading role like in Dirty Dancing reboot they will choose a bankable actress (see Black Swan) : unfortunately Summer Glau is not a match. They will never took the risk to hire Summer just because she would be perfect for the role itself (given the qualities you recalled).

The result is not always what Hollywood expected (see the relative flops of Cowboys & Aliens and The Change-Up) but the premise is always the same.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

termi-ninja-tor Post # 845 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 07:53
Quote (michelangelo)
@ termi-ninja-tor You think like Blazius, aka in terms of creativity and ability. But Hollywood sees only one thing, aka the capacity to attract movie-goers and make more money. This is called to be bankable.

For an 'eye-candy' role in a blockbuster, Hollywood will choose preferably a young unkown actress (see Transformers 3 or Margarita Levieva -SuccuBeth- in next James Bond) but for a leading role like in Dirty Dancing reboot they will choose a bankable actress (see Black Swan) : unfortunately Summer Glau is not a match. They will never took the risk to hire Summer just because she would be perfect for the role itself (given the qualities you recalled).

The result is not always what Hollywood expected (see the relative flops of Cowboys & Aliens and The Change-Up) but the premise is always the same.

Yes, I am afraid you are right. Summer is not as bankable as, say, Natalie Portman, who has been mentioned by some fans for this role. Even though neither Patrick Swayze nor Jennifer Grey were big names when the original movie was made, it seems that nowadays producers are less willing than in the old days to take a chance on less well-known names for such roles.

My only other thought on this is that the male role is harder to cast, because Swayze was so good in the original. Unless they get a really good performer with a big name, they will be overshadowed by the original. Whoever they get for the male role may be in a position to dictate some terms and maybe influence the selection of the female lead. Perhaps he won't want to compete with some very big name actress (like Natalie Portman) for the limelight in this movie, so he might prefer a less well-known but highly talented actress like Summer. You never know.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 846 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 08:05
What you say is also right for the director, who could suggest Summer's name.
As you say, you never know and i'm more more than willing to be surprised by Hollywood Execs.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 847 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 08:33
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
it seems that nowadays producers are less willing than in the old days to take a chance on less well-known names for such roles.

Hollywood is not willing to take risks with the names but also with the genre of the movies.
I remember of a move that was considered risky at the time. Bruce Willis was made famous by the tv show Moonlighting (from 1985 to 1989)
Quote (Wikipedia)
Starring Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd as private detectives, the show was a mixture of drama, comedy and romance, and was considered to be one of the first successful and influential examples of comedy-drama, or "dramedy", emerging as a distinct television genre.

After Moonlighting came to an end, Bruce Willis was offered the leading of an action movie 'Die Hard' (1988); this is one of the most riskys moves from Hollywood i know of. This one was more than successful given the box office numbers of the Die Hard franchise but i'm not sure such a move could happen again.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 848 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 10:19
@Fermi
Who did the graphic in post #859? I think it's beautiful and well done.
The background could have been a little different, maybe 'aggressive' one but the idea is splendid and so are the colors.

Blazius Post # 849 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 14:26
The reason why I want Summer or any other talented actor or actress to get cast is because I'm totally bored by the flat and uninteresting deliveries of said favorites. This includes the so called Oscar winners and bankable actors who are not better, most of the time even worse than Summer or other talented actors but they are lucky/got contacts to get cast in blockbusters and successful movies and effortlessly become bankable. I'm just totally bored with them you know. By preventing Summer from playing they rob the fun out of the movies plain and simple! I've already said that I don't care about somebodys ego or career just because I'm told how awesome they are. I want to have fun when I'm watching a damn movie! Summer can make a movie a tons of fun even by herself, so I want to see her cast.
(Of course these are my opinions and they are not to be taken as an absolute fact!)

And about taking chances. Even SW was very risky when Lucas made it with a bunch of nobodies cast in the leading roles. He took the risk and won, and even now after more than 30 years he can make tons of money with it! Tell me a movie/franchise which will still bring money after 30+ years! Hollywood become shortsighted and they even rob themselves of more money for the sake of momentary success.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 14:54

chrisdvanne_ Post # 850 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 15:07
I'm totally with you on that matter Blazius.
I noticed the word "effortlessly" on your message and it reminds a news i read recently : Adrianne Palicki will play the female lead in the Paramount sequel to G.I. Joe. This is a potential blockbuster and Bruce Willis (him again) has just been cast too. I'm sure Adrianne is a good actress but her greatest merit imo is that she got an enormous buzz from the Wonder Woman pilot that NBC decided not to pick up because it was horrible. Paramount saw that too : they expect to lure geeks from the Wonder Woman hype.

Gargaros Post # 851 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 15:40
Quote (michelangelo)
They will never took the risk to hire Summer just because she would be perfect for the role itself (given the qualities you recalled).

Really. It's very sad...

chrisdvanne_ Post # 852 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 15:43
Quote (Gargaros)
Really. It's very sad...

Don't loose hope, Gargaros, i'm wrong often sometimes.

Blazius Post # 853 | Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 - 01:38
Quote (Gargaros)
Really. It's very sad...

Wasting Summers talent would be equal to blowing up a monument or shattering the Mona Lisa to pieces or something like that. If they do that then the movie industry is dead for me.

BTW welcome to the Wiki, Gargaros! I hope you stay long here and have a good time. I promise you that you won't regret it!

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 854 | Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 - 06:32
Quote (Blazius)
Wasting Summers talent would be equal to blowing up a monument or shattering the Mona Lisa to pieces or something like that. If they do that then the movie industry is dead for me.

There is a theory that Leonardo Da Vinci invented a Time Machine and stumbled upon Summer Glau when traveling to the future; back to Italy, he painted Mona Lisa as a model but thinking to Summer.

Joe73 Post # 855 | Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 - 22:04
Quote (michelangelo)
There is a theory that Leonardo Da Vinci invented a Time Machine and stumbled upon Summer Glau when traveling to the future; back to Italy, he painted Mona Lisa as a model but thinking to Summer.

Yes you can clearly se the resemblance smile

Thats a window bird.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
Search: