menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
When did you first become a fan of Summers work?
FordStaffDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 06:48 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
I have kind of a foot fetish (so, Joss and I may get along pretty well)

I think Quentin Tarantino is your man for that, Joss Whedon has not yet admitted to a foot fetish, but it is hard not to think so with all the evidence in firefly and Serenity. May-by that was just a one time thing, I have not seen his other material to know for sure. Summer Glau in real life does not like wearing shoes after all, so they may have just integrated that with the character.

I am in the same boat as riversfeet, I became a fan of Summer just this year after watching firefly. All in one day I just could not stop. I had seen T:TSCC while it was on Television, but I did not watch past the first season and I was younger, so I just did not catch on to Summer's talent then, re-watching it now it is much better when I can appreciate Summer's acting.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

AlexDate: Thursday, 22 Dec 2011, 00:45 | Message # 17
Group: Bloggers
I first really hooked into an appreciation of Summer Glau in early 2011 when I rented a copy of Serenity. It was a random choice. I was blown away by her performance. Within a short time, I had bought copies of TSCC, Serenity, Firefly, Mammoth, CSI, The Initiation of Sarah, the Supergirl animation, BBT, and Dollhouse. I have scoured YouTube and other sites for her other works. I also started to home in on those sites that offered the most information about Summer which led me to this site and to S-G.net.

Her performances can reduce me to tears. I still have a lot of trouble watching the last 15 or so minutes of Born to Run. Her portrayal is completely believable and how she sacrifices herself is one of the saddest things I have ever seen in film. She just has that magic ability that draws the audience in so that they become fully engaged and they believe the story she is telling. And she does this with complete honesty: she knows her character; she identifies with the character; she understands the story; and so she makes the character come alive.

I can only believe that writers of the characters she plays must be so impressed with what she can do to bring these characters to life. And yes, I think she brought Cameron to life. In this, I would invoke the Duck Test (if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, then it probably is a duck). I believe that in 50 years people will still be talking about her portrayal of an artificial intelligence.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 22 Dec 2011, 01:04 | Message # 18
Group: Administrators
I didn't realise you were such a late converted biggrin
I like the fact that your wise words reflect the feeling of a lot of members of the Summer Glau Wiki, wether they discovered Summer Glau in Firefly, in Serenity or in TSCC. Your reflexion shows that we're not the 12 year old fanboys that some describe : we can appreciate her looks but we first and foremost appreciate her acting as you mentioned it.
Don't take me wrong, Summer needs 12 year old fanboys because THEY go to movies, buy video games, buy collectibles,...but she has so much to offer to a wide range of fans. Unfortunately for Summer Glau, Hollywood will always favor looks, fame and bankability to talent and creativity.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 22 Dec 2011, 01:04

AlexDate: Friday, 23 Dec 2011, 16:39 | Message # 19
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I didn't realise you were such a late converted biggrin
I like the fact that your wise words reflect the feeling of a lot of members of the Summer Glau Wiki, wether they discovered Summer Glau in Firefly, in Serenity or in TSCC. Your reflexion shows that we're not the 12 year old fanboys that some describe : we can appreciate her looks but we first and foremost appreciate her acting as you mentioned it.
Don't take me wrong, Summer needs 12 year old fanboys because THEY go to movies, buy video games, buy collectibles,...but she has so much to offer to a wide range of fans. Unfortunately for Summer Glau, Hollywood will always favor looks, fame and bankability to talent and creativity.

Yes, late to the party but better late than never.

To your point about 12 year old fanboys, I have nothing against them either. We have all been there as either fanboys or fangirls - part of life. I don't want to get too much off topic but to paraphrase some author whom I can't remember, each age has its own pleasures. I think the art of living well is understanding what is interesting and important at each age and being happy with that. Summer Glau is one of this rare artists who has something for everyone I believe, regardless of age.

And I continue to be amazed at the depth of insight and intelligence that I see in what I read here. I am still grinding through the TSCC thread about unresolved plot issues: so much good stuff that makes me think.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 23 Dec 2011, 17:48 | Message # 20
Quote (Alex)
Yes, late to the party but better late than never.

The more the better!
I'd like Summer's fanbase to grow to the top.

Also an actor gains fame and new fans through new material but also through re-runs of her previous work; every repeat of her "The Big Bang Theory" episode is an opportunity to gain new fans.

Quote (Alex)
And I continue to be amazed at the depth of insight and intelligence that I see in what I read here. I am still grinding through the TSCC thread about unresolved plot issues: so much good stuff that makes me think.

Indeed, some of our members have great insights about what TSCC was about and what Season 3 could have been; if only Josh Friedman gave us some new material to discuss...but that will never happen.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 04 Jan 2012, 10:29 | Message # 21
I already told in message #8 of this thread that i probably watched Summer Glau in Mammoth without really noticing her.

But now i realise that Summer Glau and i missed each other on several occasions : Mammoth was rather a failed attempt. But i remember the time when Joss Whedon announced that he was going to work on a new project, a scifi serie mixing western and space opera; i was intrigued by the concept but did not jumpped on the bandwagon, missing her for the first time.

As a fan of science fiction, i look with interest the lauch of new series and sometimes watch a few episodes but there is very few that i'm interested enough to watch it all along. The 4400 is one of them : i watched the first episodes but gave up quickly; once again i missed the opportunity to watch Summer Glau since she fist appeared in season 2.

Side note :
  • I'm not very lucky when it comes to picking up a serie since i watched in the past series like Surface (2005) on NBC or Invasion (2005) on ABC, who were cancelled after one season.
  • I have stopped watching cop procedurial for a long time (before Summer began her career as an actress) so that i couldn't watch Summer in The Unit or the like.

•  
    ThierryDate: Saturday, 28 Apr 2012, 22:47 | Message # 22
    Actually, I don't know exactly when I became fan of Summer, it must be between 2009 and 2010.

The reason is simple : I was deeply impressed by Summer's acting in TSCC and Serenity : the way of she acts, moves, speaks, that is as if it was a kind of dance.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.
    For this I am grateful and thanks Summer for what she gives to us.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

ogy86Date: Sunday, 29 Apr 2012, 00:44 | Message # 23
    It was the summer of 2010. I at random saw pilot episode of TSCC and I knew that there is something special at the girl who played Cameron.

This is Cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu7pi9glR4
    Save TSCC!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Pty7PD … r_embedded
    Summer Glau a WuShu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1BMqNYOyFU

TheSaviorDate: Sunday, 29 Apr 2012, 04:24 | Message # 24
    i'm not sure...but i think i become a Summer fan around 2009-2010. first i see he sarha connor most awesome telefilms...then i dip around...and see her in firefly and all the other stuff... ^^

"This isn't the first time we've done this..."
    Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
    Me

Fox012Date: Sunday, 29 Apr 2012, 11:20 | Message # 25
    I Saw summer First time around 2003 in an episode of "Angel" I did not know who She was so i did not care much... wacko

I recognized her in Firefly later and so I started like Charly to search for her and get to know her better This also later leaded me to TSCC wich was unknown yet in Germany but for reasons like this you have the interwebz biggrin dry

I have to admit I did not watch all the movies or shows she showed up but most of the more popular stuff (CSI The 4400 Dollhouse (barf) chuck TBBT (I do still watch) The Cape Grey's Anatomy (I watched it before summer and still do cool ) and so on and so for)

I Guess I'm one of those Quote: " Hopeless Geeks" wink

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

Message edited by Fox012 - Sunday, 29 Apr 2012, 11:23

REGDate: Monday, 30 Apr 2012, 05:23 | Message # 26
    i first saw her on the Angel episode Waiting in the Wings. at the time i didn't know who she was.
    the next time i saw her was on Firefly. and from there i became a fan. i didn't follow her career that closely. when TSCC came on tv i was really excited because i am a huge fan of the terminator series. at first i thought the premise of a teenage terminator wasn't a good idea.
    but once i watched the episodes more times i grew to understand and liked the idea.
    then recently i met her at Supanova and i have been looking through her acting history on imdb and i am going to be watching everything she has done.

i forgot she was on the 4400 but i don't remember it that well.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Message edited by REG - Monday, 30 Apr 2012, 05:25

griceDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 06:07 | Message # 27
    Group: Users
    2012. I guess I'm a little late. Mostly the reasons given above. Once I saw her in tscc I watched it just for her. I am not a fan of the show (tscc's Sarah too pms, John even more whiney a character than Luke Skywalker), sorry, but Summer was really the one bright spot in it that lifted that series out of the ordinary.

Thoughts : Summer is not imo excessively beautiful but she has this incredible screen presence and charisma.

the "Sarah Connors Theme" in the sound track imo would have more appropriately been titled "Cameron Philips Theme". I felt it suited Cameron much more with its calm but sad, moody atmosphere that also fit in with the human machine romance.

Hope to see more of Summer's work. Not necessarily in action but more drama related.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 11:06 | Message # 28
    Hi grice, thanks for your insights and welcome to the Summer Glau Wiki.

Feel free to browse thenumerous pages of the site and necro-bump any threads you want smile

REGDate: Wednesday, 27 Jun 2012, 11:29 | Message # 29
    i'd like to add the date when i became a fan, (it was in August 2005). as i said i first saw Summer on the Angel episode Waiting in the Wings. but it wasn't until Firefly that i became a fan. i have managed to find the post of when i saw Serenity and there i explain that i saw Firefly about a month and a half before seeing the movie:

(click image to zoom)

i was aware of Firefly but i didn't get to see it until August of 2005. on May 14th 2004 i hadn't seen Firefly yet. because of stupid channel 7 at the time treated sci-fi as a second rate genre. they aren't that much better now. Australian tv in general doesn't show much sci-fi at all. so i have to download pretty much all shows i want to see. and at the time we didn't have broadband so i couldn't see Firefly until channel 7 finally decided to air it just about a month and a half before Serenity was in theaters.

here is a post where i say that it hasn't been shown in Australia yet:

(click image to zoom)

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Message edited by REG - Wednesday, 27 Jun 2012, 11:36

JayDate: Sunday, 11 Nov 2012, 16:27 | Message # 30
    The first time I saw Summer Glau was around 2008-2009, It was on TSCC but I never watched it, I usually saw it on flicking around channels. It wasn't till around 2012 (The day I developed a brain :D) I saw it on one night and though thought "i'll give this a watch". It was episode "Heavy Metal". The show and Summer's performance captured me immanently. Summer played the role so perfectly eventually I found the character and story that her character was giving off better than anyone else's. After about 3 episodes I went to Amazon and brought both seasons and watched them both over 2 days. After that Summer, Well lets just say was in the core of my brain and I had to see her other performances, Thus leading to Firefly being on every week so I recorded them to watch (Only 6 episodes thought). I felt a little annoyed that I'd only found out about about this amazing actress Summer Glau. I had to see some of her most recent work and at that time it was The Cape. Her performance in that was great as well. I found that, In any of her roles Summer has done, as soon as she enters the screen she gets my full attention.

I think of my self a masculine guy, I don't do anything womanish, Sometimes not even walk into a women's shop with my mum or sister smile BUT Summer... She just breaks me. biggrin

Quote (grice)
    the "Sarah Connors Theme" in the sound track imo would have more appropriately been titled "Cameron Philips Theme". I felt it suited Cameron much more with its calm but sad, moody atmosphere that also fit in with the human machine romance.

Exactly what I though, When the theme came on I thought about Cameron Phillips and her own struggle in the world of Human understanding and the love she has for John. Just like at the final episode when it played whilst John steered at Alison, Just... surprised

Twitter: @KingFRJay94

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
    Search: