menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
When did you first become a fan of Summers work?
FermiDate: Saturday, 01 Oct 2011, 18:27 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators

It is very interesting for us to know how long our forum visitors have been fans. From earlier polls we conducted there is a indication that approx 2/3 of the visitors are TSCC-fans and 1/3 brown coats.

First time I ever saw Summer was on Cold Case.

The episode remained in my memory as one of the most strongest Cold Case with a horrible murder. It was when I re watched the old Cold Case episode to see Summers work I realized that it was her I saw back then.

I immediately got very attached to the Cameron character, when I started watching TSCC on Swedish television. After the dramatic ending of season 1 I was terrified that this terminator model would not survive an explosion like that. I searched the web for information about when or if Season 2 would start and I found the fansite terminatorwiki.fox.com that had a very much information and a very active forum. I later joined the forum during the airing of season 2. It was in the hiatus that I watched Firefly and Serenity for the first time.(these never aired on Swedish television).

I've re watched TSCC S1 several times one of the strongest scene imo is this scene
How this moved Derek into tears, just seeing one of this soulless killing machines that cause him and humanity so much suffering performing beautiful art for no apparent reason.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles premiered on 5 may 2008 on Swedish television. I voted 2008.

You can't stop the signal!

The1RussterDate: Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 00:43 | Message # 2
Group: Writer
The first time I saw Summer Glau was on TSCC. At the conclusion of that series I was completely in awe of Summer's performance as Cameron. Looked up all the TSCC actors on the internet and learned of her previous work. Someone I met on the old red wiki directed me to sources for Firefly and Serenity and I watched them both. Can i say i was equally blown away by her performance as River Tam, cuz i was! Wow! To be able to play characters who were polar opposites, though similar. I tried finding copies of some of her other work, not always easy. I enjoyed her performance on The Cape. She was great, but unfortunately let down by a weak show that was showing little promise of improving.

The question was when did I first become a fan of Summer's work? FOX rebroadcast season 1 of TSCC in August 2008 just before showing season 2 which premiered September 2008 and ended April 2009. I was totally in love with the program and was very disappointed when it was canceled. Shortly after the cancellation was announced, was when Summer Glau wrote that letter to the fans of the show. She truly struck me as being such a kind soul and a real lady in the true sense of the word. A very rare quality in Hollywood. That was when i became a fan, maybe admirer, of Summer Glau herself. But since the question regards her work, then like Fermi I'll have to go with when i first saw TSCC, which for me was August 2008.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 00:58

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 01:34 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
I was smitten by Summer during the advanced marketing for TSCC in 2007. (TSCC itself was launched in 1/2008.) I logged in to the website and saw Summer unclothed with only the top half of her body and no arms, hanging from the cables. Even so, she seemed so sentient, especially when her eyes turned to look at me -- it was a little scary (lol).

Then, after that I also recognized her in a rerun of CSI, where she played Mandy Cooper very sympathetically.

After TSCC, I watched Firefly/Serenity. River's personality was so opposite to Cameron's, and Summer played both to perfection. What a great actress!

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 04:10 | Message # 4
I saw her in TSCC first. Sadly the Hungarian channel refused to show it after the second episode. I didn't care for it that time anyway. I was among those who thought that it was a bad idea to have a female Terminator especially with Summers looks and that it will degenerate into a boring teen romance between John and Cameron. I hated Cameron because I expected her to be a one dimensional hot chick type whose sole purpose is to fall in love with John.

Then I think in late 2009 I discovered the DVDs and I decided that I will give it a chance. I enjoyed the show but I kept my skepticism about Cameron until episode 5-6 when I found that I actually care for Cameron very much, more than I care for the others and I watch the show mostly because I want to find out what happens to her.

She was very well done I thought. For one the writers avoided the stereotypes and she was a very useful character. Then there was the fact that she felt very realistic and genuine "for some reason". When she was blown up in the car I actually decided that if they write her out, I will quit watching the show.

I was a Cameron fan then and for the remaining three episodes. Samson and Delilah blew out my mind but even then I attributed the strong scenes to the writing. Then I found out why Cameron is such a great character and I changed into a general and very passionate Summer Glau fan. Alison from Palmdale of course.

After I finished the episode I thought ( and maybe even said loudly): This girl is a genious!!! I'm still rewatching that episode ocassionally. I hit the internet ASAP and searched for her in wikipedia first then fan sites. Thats how I found this site too.

After that moment there was no one who could even come close to cause me so much surprise, give me so fresh and lively characters as Summer. I watched Firefly after that and I couldn't even use the " she was just lucky and too comfortable with Cameron, she won't fare well in other shows" argument because of the consistently ingenious and beautifully strong performance she gives to us episode by episode, show by show.

And of course there is her down to earth, genuine and sweet personality despite the fact that she is a master actor and was a prima ballerina in her past. I sometimes ask: Does she even have a fault? I always say probably she has many faults. But you can't ask for more from a human I think.

Maybe she is not perfect( I don't know her, maybe she is) but she is definitely a good example, a good aim where every people should go I think. So my fandom not just comes from her good roles now but from a certain respect I have for her for what she is showing us in public and with her work in general.

So thats how becomes from pseudo-Glau-hater a Summer fan who is even willing to use metaphors which compares her to angels and gods( I love metaphors, have I said that? biggrin ) .

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

GraniteDate: Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 11:18 | Message # 5
February 17, 2010 I saw the first episode TSCC smile - this was the beginning

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

reiverDate: Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 15:47 | Message # 6
2009 i saw the first episode of TSCC (and from what I remember was the day of my birthday! nice gift to myself i did wink )

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

Joe73Date: Sunday, 02 Oct 2011, 20:56 | Message # 7
The first time I noticed Summer was on "The Big Bang Theory" The Terminator Decoupling, I did not know who She was back then.
I had also noticed that they in the show had referred to Skynet making Hot Petit 17years old killer Robots, so I investigated the mater, and found the TSCC series witch I started watching on October 30 - 2010.
I was completly blown away by the Pilot.
And as I watched more, I to began to notice how Cameron seemed to be in a league of her owen.
I stated reading about her on the Internet, and the more I read, the more I realised that she was not like any other Hollywood actor I had ever known.
So I watched everything I could get my hands on, and the rest is history as they say smile

Thats a window bird.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 03 Oct 2011, 01:19 | Message # 8
The first time i saw Summer Glau was in Mammoth (2006) because i like to watch B-science fiction movies when i'm bored (that was before i participated to the Summer Glau Wiki); i knew Tom Skerritt of course and saw Vincent Ventresca in 200-2002 tv show 'The Invisible man'. But it was not at that time i became of fan of Summer Glau.

The moment i became a fan was definitively when seing Summer Glau in Terminator : The Sarah Connor chronicles; i was fascinated by Cameron (the character) and Summer Glau (the actress) immediately. This was new to me. I had been a fan of a few tv shows before (Moonlighting, The X-Files, Buffy, Smallville) and sometimes from a character but never from an actor/actress, or at least nothing that could be compared to the attraction Summer Glau had on me.

Cameron was my favorite character from the start, just like a lot of TSCC fans, and i started lurking the TSCC forums during season 1 then participated during season 2. This is where i started to learn more about Summer's work even i did not find in Firefly or in Serenity the same attachment as in TSCC.

It's hard to define something like the attraction to an actor or a character but i think it played on two levels for me : firstly Cameron was definitively well written by TSCC writers and was, as we said on TSCC boards 'the most interesting sci-fi character since M. Spock; but Summer's subtile performance was equally important for me. I remember when i had a fresh new episode on my computer, i would glanced through the episode in my movie player just to watch the parts where Summer/Cameron was in and then i would watch the entire episode.

Seing Summer in 'real life' like in conventions or in various events is something relatively recent and the personality i saw confirmed the attraction i felt by seing her in movies/tv shows. I must confess i'm a bit 'old-fashioned' and seing an actress in Hollywood that is not in the sex-drugs-rock and roll-rehab circus was a real breath of fresh air. I'm very usually skeptical when it comes to Hollywood and the representation they gave us of actors but i think that Summer is genuine. I'm not sure this is the most useful quality required in Hollywood but at least her immense talent as an actress, paired with that awesome personality are definitively the sources of my great admiration and respect for her.

I'm very proud to be one of , if not, the French who writes the most about Summer Glau and i'm very to thankful to The Summer Glau Wiki for giving me this opportunity.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 11:47

Charley_DixonDate: Monday, 03 Oct 2011, 05:27 | Message # 9
It was in early 2008 when TSCC was airing. I read very positive comments about her from people who met her in the real life and I decided to learn more about the actress who played my favorite character in the show.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 03 Oct 2011, 07:54 | Message # 10
Quote (Charley_Dixon)
It was in early 2008 when TSCC was airing.

Ooops, i forgot to mention it was also early 2008 for me.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

KrelleKDate: Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 11:43 | Message # 11
Quote (Fermi)

It is very interesting for us to know how long our forum visitors have been fans. From earlier polls we conducted there is a indication that approx 2/3 of the visitors are TSCC-fans and 1/3 brown coats.

First time I ever saw Summer was on Cold Case.

The episode remained in my memory as one of the most strongest Cold Case with a horrible murder. It was when I re watched the old Cold Case episode to see Summers work I realized that it was her I saw back then.

I immediately got very attached to the Cameron character, when I started watching TSCC on Swedish television. After the dramatic ending of season 1 I was terrified that this terminator model would not survive an explosion like that. I searched the web for information about when or if Season 2 would start and I found the fansite terminatorwiki.fox.com that had a very much information and a very active forum. I later joined the forum during the airing of season 2. It was in the hiatus that I watched Firefly and Serenity for the first time.(these never aired on Swedish television).

I've re watched TSCC S1 several times one of the strongest scene imo is this scene
How this moved Derek into tears, just seeing one of this soulless killing machines that cause him and humanity so much suffering performing beautiful art for no apparent reason.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles premiered on 5 may 2008 on Swedish television. I voted 2008

I think to that was something very moving, something I think they should have explored more, perhaps have eaach of them run into her either at the same time or one by one in different episodes. and have them all perhaps at some point see it at the same time. biggrin

Summer first caught my attention in the angel episode Waiting in the wings, i do believe it caused a few tears to come to my eyes back then. I did not know who she was at the time, and then shortly after saw the last glimpse of the episode of firefly where she sits on the floor in her room mumbling about the two by two, the hands of blue, it was only after one of my friends showed me Firefly i got to know who this Angel upon earth was. biggrin

MalfurionDate: Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 16:47 | Message # 12
In my case, TSCC was the first time i saw Summer respectively her work, her brilliant acting.
Firefly was next and then i began to search for more shows and information about her and her fans.
Cameron and River, simply unbelievable what Summer creates here through her acting.
Even when i read fanfics about the shows it runs in my mind how Summer would play-act those "new" scenes.

Shyness and Summer met one day, Shyness had to speak first.

KrelleKDate: Friday, 21 Oct 2011, 12:36 | Message # 13
Quote (Malfurion)
Even when i read fanfics about the shows it runs in my mind how Summer would play-act those "new" scenes.

I have it the same way biggrin

FermiDate: Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 22:58 | Message # 14
bump

You can't stop the signal!

riversfeetDate: Sunday, 11 Dec 2011, 06:25 | Message # 15
I saw Serenity, not knowing it was from a TV show.

I have kind of a foot fetish (so, Joss and I may get along pretty well) and the character River going barefoot the first 15 minutes or so got my attention (but the movie itself, and eventually the series won me over entirely).

Summer's acting and beauty just got me. Plus she has this adorabe personality, and I love her voice. It has this tremble that makes her sound nervous and shy. It's so pretty.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search: