menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
FordStaffDate: Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 05:16 | Message # 106
Group: Friends
BTW strangely her shyness had gone during this talk show, she could speak wonderfully. Maybe even she was confident in such an atmosphere.

I found this odd too. She was far better than I would have expected to be in a talk show interview based on all the other interviews I have seen. Come on Steven Colbert give this girl a Colbert bump.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 09:48 | Message # 107
Group: Administrators
I agree with you guys, Summer showed self confidence to a certain degree and she wasn't searching for her words too much or looked embarrassed as we've seen so many time.
But let's be honest, Colbert Carlson's questions are very basic and even if he makes fun of the geeks, it's stays on a light tone.

He's here to make the show and entertain the audience and the guest is supposed to enter that game which is something Summer still has difficulties with. The gap shows when Summer wants to talk about character development and the only thing Colbert Carlson wants to know is if there will be robot sex.

Edit : fixed the names confusion.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 10:05

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 09:58 | Message # 108
That was not Colbert this is Colbert (not on his show).

I mention him because he gives what he calls Colbert Bumps away on his show during interviews (very rarely), which is him basically saying he supports someone by fist bumping them. I would love to see him give Summer Glau a Colbert Bump, which is not going to happen, but it would be cool. Sorry if my comment was confusing.

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 10:38 | Message # 109
Quote (michelangelo)
He's here to make the show and entertain the audience and the guest is supposed to enter that game

THAT is making the show! Look at the first images of Olivia Wilde on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.

I don't see Summer doing this...and that's for the best if you ask me.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 21 Nov 2011, 19:40 | Message # 110
Quote (michelangelo)
I don't see Summer doing this...and that's for the best if you ask me.

Definitely for the best. I never liked this kind of show off, "Look how cool am I for doing this, do you all worship me now?"

It never worked for me.

Summer on the other hand just goes to an interview, she never does fancy tricks, she never wants to look bigger than she really is, its just her what we see. She says what a normal person would say, she loves to talk about her roles, her experiences, what she finds difficult to play, what she finds cool in the character herself. Of course the showgivers and interviewers try to speak about the "cooler" things instead like robot sex which I find annoying because I'd like to hear more what Summer wants say.

I really respect Summer for this down to earthness. And there is one more difference between Summer and the rest. Summer with her plain self is super cool without tricks and fake bigger than life personalities. But I'd like to see how cool are the other celebrities if they showed their true selves.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 21 Nov 2011, 21:03 | Message # 111
Of course the showgivers and interviewers try to speak about the "cooler" things instead like robot sex which I find annoying because I'd like to hear more what Summer wants say.

There is a reason they do such things, they need to make the interviews interesting to their entire audience not just the parts of their audience that actually care about the interviewee.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 21 Nov 2011, 21:26 | Message # 112
Quote (FordStaff)
There is a reason they do such things, they need to make the interviews interesting to their entire audience not just the parts of their audience that actually care about the interviewee.

Of course, and now we are back at the so many times discussed difference between the sci-fi genres more sophisticated audience and the rest of the TV viewers dry

FordStaffDate: Monday, 21 Nov 2011, 21:40 | Message # 113
Of course, and now we are back at the so many times discussed difference between the sci-fi genres more sophisticated audience and the rest of the TV viewers dry

That is not how I meant it.

Not everyone is going to know Summer Glau watching the show, so the host needs to make the interview interesting for those people also. To do this they talk about such things as robot sex, something anybody can get into biggrin . On a talk show the goal is not to make a good interview for those who know the interviewee, the interview needs to be entertaining to everyone.

For that reasons interviews with Summer may fall flat to those of us on the wiki, since many things get beaten to death over and over in these things, or are just irrelevant. If you wanted a quality interview of Summer you would need someone doing it for the sake of doing it.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 21 Nov 2011, 21:41

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 21 Nov 2011, 21:56 | Message # 114
This type of interview is intented to a broad audience that doesn't know Summer by heart like we do...or doesn't even know her (especially since that interview was made at the start of TSCC).
I think Sumer is simply not a "good client" for this type of shows; Olivia Wilde or Thomas Dekker would have answered with a joke to the insisting "robot sex" question whereas Summer went back to the character itself, which is not what is expected in this situation to be honest.
I'm not sure this audience would be susceptible to Summer genuineness as much as we are.

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 00:35 | Message # 115
Quote (michelangelo)
This type of interview is intented to a broad audience that doesn't know Summer by heart like we do...or doesn't even know her (especially since that interview was made at the start of TSCC).
I think Sumer is simply not a "good client" for this type of shows; Olivia Wilde or Thomas Dekker would have answered with a joke to the insisting "robot sex" question whereas Summer went back to the character itself, which is not what is expected in this situation to be honest.
I'm not sure this audience would be susceptible to Summer genuineness as much as we are.

Okay, then I can only speak for myself but even if I don't know an actress I'm more interested in how she did that role I'm seeing in a movie or a show than infantile jokes about robot sex or butt shaking. Everybody can say infantile jokes about robot sex or shake his/her butt but only the actor can tell you about how she played a character or what was it like playing her. Summer is cleverer than anybody in Hollywood as it seems. Granted this may be a good reason why she isn't on the top already. She is too perfect for her own good.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 01:23 | Message # 116
Tv viewers are lazy by nature and they want to be entertained.
Btw, it's the same on the Summer Glau Wiki : most visitors want to see funny and short infos (it's true for all websites btw). This is the message i try to send (not always successfully ) to Fermi in my suggestions.

Think about this : by these standards, threads are successful when they have 10 more views than they have answers; it's the case for "Comment that picture of Summer Glau!" for example (the numbers for older threads are skewed by the fact there were fewer posters a few months ago). When the ratio is smaller than 5, it means that basically only the small number of people who are posting are watching this thread.

ChrisDate: Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 09:12 | Message # 117
I think answering the joke about robot sex would have probably given too much away the same as Summer wouldn't say how Cameron ends up in the show, possibly because she didn't know but she couldn't really come out and say oh yeah Cameron and John are screwing each others brains out in season 3 or 4 that would have given things away like the Jiley in season 2 would have been writted off by the fans instead of being regarded as the threat of Cameron being pushed away by John as it was.

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 09:18 | Message # 118
I think answering the joke about robot sex would have probably given too much away the same as Summer wouldn't say how Cameron ends up in the show, possibly because she didn't know but she couldn't really come out and say oh yeah Cameron and John are screwing each others brains out in season 3 or 4

I highly doubt that even if the show creators and writers knew the answer to Cameron and Johns relationship and whether they have "robot sex" , that they would inform Summer. It would not be relevant to how she is acting the part so why would they leak it to her when they do not have to? Hell there are times when such things would be relevant to the actor's acting and they are still not told (example would be Terry O'Quinn on Lost who was not told that he was not really still John Locke towards the end of Season 5) .

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 09:25 | Message # 119
Quote (FordStaff)
I highly doubt that even if the show creators and writers knew the answer to Cameron and Johns relationship and whether they have "robot sex" , that they would inform Summer.

Generally speaking, i'm always amazed by the fact writers say very little about the character development to the actors who plays them; Summer said on numerous interview she did not know where the story would go in TSCC, unless they had filmed the next unaired-yet episodes at the time of the interview of course.

Edit : that was also the case for The Cape, hence Summer's disappointment (as seen in G4tv's interview) when she realised which direction her character would take : "That was not what i had expected" were her own words.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 09:28

ChrisDate: Tuesday, 22 Nov 2011, 09:31 | Message # 120
Secrecy means that plots dont get leaked that and some of the plots could have been more liquid then others depending on the reaction they recieved to the possibility of it, there was obviously a lot of feedback regarding the possibility of Cameron and John being together would they have planned for it at the start of the show, hard to say but they left the door open when they showed Vick in a realationship so I would say that they had plans for Cameron early on but werent just going to make it easy for them.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
Search: