menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
BlaziusDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 03:01 | Message # 91
Group: Friends
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I enjoyed Deadly Honeymoon, and not just because Summer put on a great performance. It is actually an interesting story, well acted and masterfully assembled.

For a few weeks, the entire movie was available for streaming from the Summer Glau Wiki (thanks Fermi) and I streamed it into my computer hooked up to my TV. From my TV, I was able to record a DVD on my DVD recorder, so I now have a disc that I can play anytime. I have played it several times for visitors in my home, and they have all enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the video quality is fairly low, given the nature of the streaming process and my relatively slow internet connection.

Of course, the entire movie is available from Amazon online now, but it costs $10. No doubt the video quality is better than my poor recording. It's worth the cost if you are a true Summer Glau fan!

Yes, it'd certainly be good even without Summer. Its a very underrated movie I think. And it indeed has the advantage that even non sci-fi fans can be converted to Summerism with it.

And anybody says to me that Summer couldn't be fantastic in the non sci-fi world clearly never saw DHM.

Must check out Amazon then. Do you think it has Hungarian subtitles too?

I'd need them for the converting process you know biggrin

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 03:05 | Message # 92
And anybody says to me that Summer couldn't be fantastic in the non sci-fi world clearly never saw DHM.

They would have to be a pretty dumb or close minded person to think such a thing. The only single role that could remotely justify such sentiments would be if all you saw was her Cameron role, but even then.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

ChrisDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:09 | Message # 93
Quote (FordStaff)
They would have to be a pretty dumb or close minded person to think such a thing. The only single role that could remotely justify such sentiments would be if all you saw was her Cameron role, but even then.

Even if you saw her only in her Cameron role if you didn't see her acting talent and realise she is capable of doing any acting she chooses too you didn't watch closely enough playing Cameron or River would have been extremely hard roles that she sold to the viewer completely yet maintained a very fragile human aspect to the character with the Cameron role while as River grew she showed River wasn't as helpless without taking it over the top until she was unleashed completely in Serenity but when she kills the 3 men in ep 10 were a pretty big hint of what she could do even if she wasn't able to watch as she did it which actually made what she did even freakier not to mention "No power in the verse can stop me" which she seemed casual about when she said it like she as very detached from what she just did

FordStaffDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:18 | Message # 94
Even if you saw her only in her Cameron role if you didn't see her acting talent and realise she is capable of doing any acting she chooses too you didn't watch closely enough playing Cameron or River would have been extremely hard roles that she sold to the viewer completely

I completely agree. I just mentioned the Cameron role because she had to be literally robotic. I only said it would remotely justify thinking she could not do a real human role by which I really mean it would not really be justified, but I could see how people would mistakenly do so. Her role as River could easily be translated over into a pure drama show that is not science fiction so I see no problem there (except the mind reading part). The fact that she can make roles that have sci-fi elements to them (especially Cameron, obviously since not even human) so down to earth is a testament to her acting skills not some type of fettering to her talents as some people believe.

All this is because of the ghettoizing of the Science Fiction genre. Non-Science Fiction fans can not recognize science fiction as drama no matter how dramatic it is. Science Fiction is still Science Fiction first regardless. As a result the actors have to deal with such accusations too, such as in this case when people will say that it is not true acting or some pile of complete bullshit.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:21

ChrisDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:28 | Message # 95
You have to appreciate the irony of being referred to as not being a true actor when not only are you getting into character that portrays emotion or lack of depending on the character but you have to base your character around a make believe world or situation and sell that to the viewer as well

FordStaffDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:32 | Message # 96
You have to appreciate the irony of being referred to as not being a true actor when not only are you getting into character that portrays emotion or lack of depending on the character but you have to base your character around a make believe world or situation and sell that to the viewer as well

Yes the irony would almost be laughable if it did not screw people like Summer out of their rightful place. In the Science Fiction genre not only will your talents not be appreciated in proportion to their actual merit, but they will be pushed even further than the talents of equal roles in other more mainstream genres. It is far harder to make a role with science fiction elements believable than a role without it in a fictional universe equivalent to our normal universe. Not only has Summer done this multiple times, she does it extremely well.

BlaziusDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:35 | Message # 97
Quote (Chris)

Yes, people seem to forget that part the actors job is to appear somebody or something which is not him/herself. You won't get any different than Summer as a robot sent from the future.

It actually requires more skill than being a girl with a different hair color and a slightly different personality than the actress is in real life.

FordStaffDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:41 | Message # 98
It actually requires more skill than being a girl with a different hair color and a slightly different personality than the actress is in real life.

Not only will Science Fiction roles require far greater changes from the actors real life persona, They put much greater strain on the audience's suspension of disbelief and so the actor will have to work harder to make sure it stays in a comfortable range. For example in a cop drama show the actors do not have to act out a reaction to reading the minds of people making out, they only have to act things that actually happen in real life. Science fiction is just harder from all angles including the writers and actors in this sense.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 05:45

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 10:17 | Message # 99
Group: Administrators
Unfortunately this is how the masses see Summer Glau : an actrice who have played the crazy girl or the robotic girl in roles that doesn't need much acting skills (i quote them of course). They hardly know her or have heard of her in Firefly and TSCC; even the millions of people who've seen Summer as Cameron before given up on the show think she just have to put on a blank face to play a Terminator. This was Arnold's approach of the role in the Terminator movies but certainly not Friedman's and mostly Summer's approach. Unfortunately, the masses have not seen TSCC or have not beeen involved deep and long enough to aknowledge Summer's acting.

I see very often such prejudiced opinions about Summer and scifi genre as a whole when i surf the net. I mention DHM when i can to show she can and has done other things than sci-fi but making people's mind change could take some time. In this regard, her move to non sci-fi 'Scent of the Missing' could be a turnpoint in her career and the start of another one (too soon to tell of course).

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 20:07 | Message # 100
has done other things than sci-fi but making people's mind change could take some time.

The vast majority of those who claim certain actors, in this case Summer, do not have true acting talent because they are in science fiction have ever seen the actual science fiction shows the actors are in. If they did then they would know they are full of shit, at least when it comes to Summer. Likely these people spouting such beliefs are never actually going to give Summer (or others) a fair chance, not at least until they are forced to.

The fact that she has done other things will not change their mind, not until she does something really mainstream. Even then the stigma may remain forever in some way. I guess that is the price for being the queen of science fiction. At least science fiction fans are not fickle and have attentions spans that allow memory beyond what relates to the current craze. I think it likely her science fiction fan-base will remain loyal throughout her career no matter where she ends up.

At least that is the case with me. I may not watch Scent of the Missing much, it is not my type of show, but who knows I will give it a try. Regardless I will be supportive, even if it saddens me that she may not be coming back to science fiction. I know it is the smart career choice, I only wish there did not have to be such a dilemma. Perhaps someday...

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 21:10

BlaziusDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 23:41 | Message # 101
The masses are a bunch of mindless sheep who follow some kind of idiotic trend because they don't have the ability to find their own preferences they are told what to like. They can't really gauge if somebody is a good actress or bad actress and measure their actual abilities. If somebody is "mainstream" then they believe that she is good because she "has to be good if she is so mainstream" ignoring other factors completely. Its like how the snowball becomes an avalanche. Some people are told that somebody is "good" another sees that they worship her then he believes that she is good because they worship her and it repeats itself.

While we are different. We never heard of Summer before and nobody told us she is "supposed to be" good. We found her individually and purely by our own judgement we believe in her abilities. Same for many sci-fi fans and fans of sci-fi actresses. Sci-fi crowd just seems to use their heads more often than others IMO.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011, 14:42 | Message # 102
The multiple choice quiz based on television shows at Television Without Pity is usually related to Cop/Lawyer/Doctor series or reality shows, aka mainstream programs, but once in a while there is genre questions.

To my knowledge, this is even the second time that Summer Glau is on the front page in the daily-changed illustration picture.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 04:11 | Message # 103
Quote (michelangelo)
The multiple choice quiz based on television shows at Television Without Pity is usually related to Cop/Lawyer/Doctor series or reality shows, aka mainstream programs, but once in a while there is genre questions.

To my knowledge, this is even the second time that Summer Glau is on the front page in the daily-changed illustration picture.

Does this have something to do with the shows popularity or its only that some people behind the site are fans?

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 13:24 | Message # 104
Quote (Blazius)
Does this have something to do with the shows popularity or its only that some people behind the site are fans?

No idea, the picture is changed several times a day and i haven't statistics about that. I don't think there is a TSCC/Summer fan at Twop, like Charlie Jane Anders at Io9 for example, or i should have noticed biggrin

Mainstream programs are over-represented but there is room for genre shows (not only TSCC); and remember that TSCC started big on FOX (not for long unfortunately).

Here's an example of what Summer's weekly news could have been if TSCC was successful :

Summer Glau at the Last Call With Carson Daly show on February 21st 2008

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 04:17 | Message # 105
Quote (michelangelo)
Mainstream programs are over-represented but there is room for genre shows (not only TSCC); and remember that TSCC started big on FOX (not for long unfortunately).

Here's an example of what Summer's weekly news could have been if TSCC was successful :

Summer Glau at the Last Call With Carson Daly show on February 21st 2008

It was so relieving seeing Summer getting so many compliments and huge ovation. Thats what she'd deserve all along her career, not only once.

I'd definitely like to see her weekly in such talk shows, and with millions of fans worshiping her.

The TSCC days were her most glorious days, I just hope she can experience more such days in the future.

(although the guy was a bit ignorant when he placed Summer and bad acting in one sentence, that combination doesn't exist)

BTW strangely her shyness had gone during this talk show, she could speak wonderfully. Maybe even she was confident in such an atmosphere.

Message edited by Blazius - Sunday, 20 Nov 2011, 04:22

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
Search: