[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 10 of 14«12891011121314»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 15:28 | Message # 136
Group: Administrators
I have rewatched that video recently when i made the HQ scans of the magazine : GQ Magazine HQ Scans

Indee, Summer seems lost on the set of the photoshoot, she even shows signs of concern; since i comment and blog for the Summer Glau Wiki, i have watched quite a lot of these behind the scene videos and every time the woman (or guy) is showed with a broad smile, even between two shots. This is not the case at all in this video, whereas it was for the FHM or Esquire video.
I guess the photographer failed to make her fell at-ease and it shows in the video.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

AlexDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 16:37 | Message # 137
Group: Bloggers
Quote (Blazius)
So did you find this video as upsetting as me? If not then I'm probably mad and ignore me and enjoy the vid.

It does seem to objectify her and for that reason alone, I find it exploitive but that is just me - no criticism intended. After all, I still watched it dry . I just want to see her act. Yes, she is drop-dead gorgeous but I just find these sort of displays clumsy and a waste of her talent. I accept that any actor or actress has to do these things for the publicity and she is very practical about it I suppose.

As to what happened at 0:47, I wonder if he is just demonstrating how he wants her to move or the pose he wants? If he were angry to the point of acting out by waving his arms and such, I think he would probably lose control of the shoot. I am just speculating though. I also think that Summer is strong-willed enough to not put up with bullying tactics. She may not be able to kill with her brain but an angry stare could do damage I think. I think an angry Summer is something that no one wants to see as I suspect that because she rarely seems upset that when she does get angry, the best thing to do is be somewhere else.

I remember similar comments recently (sorry, can't remember where I read them) about a video showing Summer on the set of The Cape. She is bent over, and just off to the side of the shoot, outside the scene. She appears to be bent over and focussing on something in front of her. Others speculated that she was vomiting because she was nervous and some thought she might be anorexic. I looked at the clip and the only thing that I could see was that she was studying her lines, probably because of slight re-write, and that she was focussed on her script; she was also blocking out what was going on around her. She's got focus, she works hard, and she is very serious about her craft. I like to think that she is basically a very happy person and that she is doing well. Of course, I completely understand this protective feeling we all have towards her. If I saw someone trying to physically hurt Summer, I would go to any length to prevent it.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 16:53 | Message # 138
Group: Friends
Indeed, thats what got my attention too. You always see people smiling on photoshoots. Even Summer smiles on them so its not something which can be just dismissed as one of her oddities.

I feel honestly heartbroken because of this vid, my whole day was crap because of this, no joke sad

I don't know what happened, I think you are right in that Summer is a very sensitive person and she probably feels extremely vulnerable during shoots so if she gets a psychopath like the photographer probably was she doesn't take it well.

I honestly can't even express my anger on those who were involved in causing such a bad experience to Summer angry2

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 17:18 | Message # 139
Quote (Alex)
It does seem to objectify her and for that reason alone, I find it exploitive but that is just me - no criticism intended. After all, I still watched it . I just want to see her act. Yes, she is drop-dead gorgeous but I just find these sort of displays clumsy and a waste of her talent. I accept that any actor or actress has to do these things for the publicity and she is very practical about it I suppose.

I'm not fond of photoshoots either, albeit Summer is drop-dead gorgeous as you said, I'm always more content with focusing on her art and personality rather than shoots. Still its part of the job nowadays and with Summers strategy and strength to keep her shoots elegant I have no problem with them.

But this is a special case because I see her in great discomfort and this is upsetting me very much.

Quote (Alex)
As to what happened at 0:47, I wonder if he is just demonstrating how he wants her to move or the pose he wants? If he were angry to the point of acting out by waving his arms and such, I think he would probably lose control of the shoot. I am just speculating though. I also think that Summer is strong-willed enough to not put up with bullying tactics. She may not be able to kill with her brain but an angry stare could do damage I think. I think an angry Summer is something that no one wants to see as I suspect that because she rarely seems upset that when she does get angry, the best thing to do is be somewhere else.

As I wrote I can't tell with absolute certainty what he is doing, but the whole situation shocked me and now I'm not certain of anything. Its possible that he is just showing something but thats just as possible that he is shouting because he is a psychopath and thinks that he doesn't want to work with "whiney" celebrities and he was terrorizing a vulnerable Summer with his scenes because he doesn't know that Summer doesn't take it well.

Quote (Alex)
I remember similar comments recently (sorry, can't remember where I read them) about a video showing Summer on the set of The Cape. She is bent over, and just off to the side of the shoot, outside the scene. She appears to be bent over and focussing on something in front of her. Others speculated that she was vomiting because she was nervous and some thought she might be anorexic. I looked at the clip and the only thing that I could see was that she was studying her lines, probably because of slight re-write, and that she was focussed on her script; she was also blocking out what was going on around her. She's got focus, she works hard, and she is very serious about her craft. I like to think that she is basically a very happy person and that she is doing well. Of course, I completely understand this protective feeling we all have towards her. If I saw someone trying to physically hurt Summer, I would go to any length to prevent it.

I remember that one and by no means I want to create a similar silly rumor mongering, panic inducting campaign. I'm just stating what I see on that vid. And I clearly see that Summer is sad and in great discomfort on it.

I have no idea why is that and I'd refrain from creating wild stories about it.

But I wanted you to know about it because I feel that we owe Summer that much that we look out for anything that may even remotely effect her negatively and try to prevent it by all means at our disposal.

Message edited by Blazius - Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 17:24

AlexDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 17:28 | Message # 140
Quote (Blazius)
I feel honestly heartbroken because of this vid, my whole day was crap because of this, no joke sad

I don't know what happened, I think you are right in that Summer is a very sensitive person and she probably feels extremely vulnerable during shoots so if she gets a psychopath like the photographer probably was she doesn't take it well.

I honestly can't even express my anger on those who were involved in causing such a bad experience to Summer angry2

Actually, I think she is very resilient. I don't think she was badly treated during this photo session but even if she was, she probably took it in stride; she probably would think that the photographer (or art director if that is the term) was having a really bad day. She would likely try to cheer him up but I don't think she would let someone else's bad behaviour get her down. God help that person though if she did get angry. They would face the fearsome wrath of Summer (insert image of fire breathing (and very cute) dragon here).

Did you listen to that German interview taken from the Serenity promotion phase? At the end of the interview, she talks about how much she enjoyed acting, singing, and dancing as a child. She spoke of how she would put on shows using her dolls as the audience and on one occasion, she got very sick because she insisted on dancing in a bathing suit and a boa, outside, on a winter's day. Her tone is triumphant, happy, and very joyful. I don't think you need to feel badly for her. Cheer up! She has a good life and she is essentially a very happy and fulfilled person I think.

I don't know if you ascribe the theories of Abraham Maslow and his hierarchy of needs but I think she would probably score fairly highly as she is able to support herself, to form good relationships, to do work that is fulfilling and gratifying, and she has a sense of purpose. Basically, she's OK; really more than just OK. She is doing well. We should be happy for her.

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 17:47 | Message # 141
Quote (Alex)
Actually, I think she is very resilient. I don't think she was badly treated during this photo session but even if she was, she probably took it in stride; she probably would think that the photographer (or art director if that is the term) was having a really bad day. She would likely try to cheer him up but I don't think she would let someone else's bad behaviour get her down. God help that person though if she did get angry. They would face the fearsome wrath of Summer (insert image of fire breathing (and very cute) dragon here).

Did you listen to that German interview taken from the Serenity promotion phase? At the end of the interview, she talks about how much she enjoyed acting, singing, and dancing as a child. She spoke of how she would put on shows using her dolls as the audience and on one occasion, she got very sick because she insisted on dancing in a bathing suit and a boa, outside, on a winter's day. Her tone is triumphant, happy, and very joyful. I don't think you need to feel badly for her. Cheer up! She has a good life and she is essentially a very happy and fulfilled person I think.

I don't know if you ascribe the theories of Abraham Maslow and his hierarchy of needs but I think she would probably score fairly highly as she is able to support herself, to form good relationships, to do work that is fulfilling and gratifying, and she has a sense of purpose. Basically, she's OK; really more than just OK. She is doing well. We should be happy for her.

Yes, I agree with you on your asserting of Summers overall life and happiness. Few of us has the luxury of having a life like Summers, to be so full of life and energy, passion and happiness and find so much joy in our job.

I'm just feeling bad because of this one occasion. It happens sometimes that even the happiest person has bad moments and I think this is one of them. I'm not sure if its because of the shooting at all, it can be anything, maybe it just that it burst out of her during the shoot but they didn't want to cancel it.

Its especially moving because otherwise she is very strong and happy, I'm not used to see her like this.

Regarding if the photo team had anything to do with this. I think normally she couldn't have been hurt at all, I'm thinking about a unique situation where Summer is exceptionally vulnerable for some reason and she can't defend herself because of it. It can happen sometimes that somebody doesn't think clearly because something is troubling her.

I think that she had a very bad day, and the crew was of a bunch of idiots who worsened the situation but Summer couldn't think about sending them to hell because her strength was temporally gone for those moments.

Quote (Alex)

If you think about the one on the Apprecation page, then I missed it because I can't understand the German voiceover ( my German sucks) sad

Could somebody give a rough translation on that BTW? Or an undubbed version?

Message edited by Blazius - Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 18:05

AlexDate: Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, 19:05 | Message # 142
Actually that interview is an audio one only. It is in English. My German sucks too (I can't speak a word). The interview is the Serenity Hamburg interview - part 2. Here is a link: Summer and Nathan interview in Hamburg. It is in the last two minutes or so. The whole thing is worth listening to though. The chemistry between Summer and Nathan is quite touching.

We will have to agree to disagree because I just don't see the awful carnage you describe. Where you say she is about to cry, I see a hint of a smile. I can see the photographer or whoever he is (light green shirt and shorts, medium length hair, and an open face) in the mirror in several scenes and he does not appear to be angry, just watchful. Honestly, if that video were a record of brutal treatment, I doubt it would have been released. Perhaps the nature of the video is confusing. It is slightly voyeuristic as it appears to slink around and it finally exits out a window which is interesting as this is a reversal of a technique that Hitchcock used (he would have the camera enter through a window and the viewer would appear to sit in a chair and become an observer in the scene).

Note also that she very much appears to be taking direction - slow, deliberate movements; steady eye contact with the camera; no sudden changes of expression. This last item is important as anyone who has ever seen screen caps of her videos knows all too well. Her face can change so quickly and she has such an expressive face that it his quite possible to see odd expressions that are really just transitions that the eye would not normally see. She is smart and she is expressive - off the scale expressive compared to most.

Chris and Blazius: you both have razor sharp instincts and you are both very observant but I think in this case, you both brought electron microscopes to the party when all that was needed was just your eyes. And please, I do not say this to be offensive. I am just trying to cheer you up.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 01:08 | Message # 143
I think we should not overreact because as usual it's very difficult to decypher what we see on the video; my feeling is that the photographer failed to create a complicity between him and Summer but i see no reason to alarm ourselves.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 01:43 | Message # 144
Problem is and I don't want to start an argument or anything( I just have to write it out of myself sad ) that she has exactly that kind of expressions as if she is waiting for her execution at least. Sure Summer has unique expressions which may or may not be possible to misinterpret but I think we are both observing Summer and her impressions for quite some time now so I think I know when she looks sad and upset and when happy. If you want to know BTW how a vulnerable, sad and discomforted Summer looks like the DHM screencaps are the best since she pulls the exact same face there as in this vid.

For example at 0:43 she pulls an exactly DHM face:

In the movie she plays that she is sad and crying is choking her. In the clip she apparently does just that, albeit she is holding it back more so is not that apparent.

Her mouth is the most apparent sign IMO. Look at how similarly she pushes her lips together.

The scenes before that show her as a bit defiant like an anger mixed with sorrow with some kind of regretful acceptance in it. DHM gallery also has a few scenes like that.

Also there is her movement. Slow, hesitant moves( didn't want to say intimidated), something what is completely alien to Summer.

Also Summer always smiles, anywhere even at other photoshoots. The fact that she doesn't smile here is something that'd be suspicious alone.

Also where is the seductive Summer expression from a sexy photoshoot???

Now mixing it up with the climax, the sudden move of the guy behind just after the crying moment gives me a VERY bad idea about this shooting.

Again I don't want to imply anything extremely bad. It may be that Summer had a really bad day and/or something happened which made her sad( trivial things like a possible break up or just being exhausted of work may be causes of that, I have no knowledge of Summers private life so I don't know what may have happened ) and thats why she is sad but there is something wrong with her on that vid, I'm sure of that.

I think it'd be useful if we searched for shoot videos or interviews just before and after this clip to see if the same thing that affected her during the shoot was still in effect in them.

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 03:16

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 02:44 | Message # 145
There is no need to investigate the context of that video further

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 10:44

FermiDate: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 03:41 | Message # 146
Maybe you just over analyzing her facial expression in this video

Like chrisdvanne said there is no need to investigate the context of that video further.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 10:42 | Message # 147
Comic Con 2008

Where are Thomas Dekker, Lena Headey and Brian Austin Green who were with Summer at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con?

Comic Con 2008

Also i'm wondering if you could have those TSCC posters signed for free at the convention.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 10:43

Marcel93Date: Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 14:52 | Message # 148
How sweet she always smiles, the smile she has already earned itself an award, you now I would like to be there

http://www.fanfiction.net
http://www.fanfiktion.de

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 27 Feb 2012, 16:29 | Message # 149
I have put side by side two images of a young Summer Glau, respectively from the "In Good Company" Los Angeles premiere in 2004 and the L.A. "Serenity" premiere in 2005, and one more recent from the "TRON: Legacy" L.A. premiere in 2010.
I have chosen on purpose similar events in the same town in order to make my comparaison more accurate; the only thing that changes is Summer Glau herself.

Click on image for larger size
Summer Glau at red carpet

If you look at the first two images you'll notive immediately that Summer is not posing as an actress but as a former ballerina; of course she's the charming Summer we all know but this is not the type of pose photographers are expecting at red carpets. Whereas the last photo shows a confident Summer in a traditional and sexy pose (i'm not even talking about the outfit, only the pose).

I find it funny but somehow perfectly normal that a more experienced Summer Glau has learned some of the codes of Hollywood.
At the same time, i think (and hope) she is not willing to learn from more successfull actresses (in order to have visual examples of what i'm talking about, just browse the gossip sites and type "Angelina Jolie right leg", or "Olivia Wilde shake his booty on tv" or "Sandra Bullock french kisses Meryl Streep").

Yet i just cannot resist the temptation to show you one example taken from the recent Oscars; Angelina Jolie right leg made quite a lot of buzz ..

Heberger image

but she just imitated another master of classy poses and behaviours (sorry BAG) :

Heberger image

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 01 Mar 2012, 18:16

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 01 Mar 2012, 18:39 | Message # 150
What do you think of this unusual and rare cover for the serenity DVD and Blu-Ray?

Serenity "Reel Heroes" Limited Edition DVD
It's an HMV Exclusive limited edition DVD with comic book artwork and comes with an art card (scan below).

Click on image for larger size
Serenity Cover Art

More cover art :
Serenity DVD - Blu-ray Cover Art
Serenity Cover art - Gallery update

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Comment that picture of Summer Glau!
Page 10 of 14«12891011121314»
Search: