menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Insight into Serenity/Firefly promotional photoshoot
Insight into Serenity/Firefly promotional photoshoot
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 20 Jul 2011, 20:04 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
Fermi is organizing the gallery differently for a better user experience; i take this opportunity to analyse a few promo pictures from Firefly/Serenity.
Some of these pictures features the whole cast, male and female while some others are female only; of course these picts are made by a professionnal photograph on a photo studio and every detail like lightning, make-up, clothes, pose has been taken care off.

I have chosen to analyse more specifically the pose of the female cast, but a similar study can be made for the guys.

Very often in these promo picts the photograph asks the cast to pout instead of having a shining smile ; i noticed that pattern back in early 90's with The X-Files (i dare you to find a promo pict of Fox Mulder or Dana Scully with a smile on their face).

Let's start with a group photo :

Serenity' Cast Photo Shoot

What young Jewel Staite does basically is flashing her panty; her body is leaned backward and it looks like she's about to slip (polygon of support thing); she's hot but the overall pose is not classy and does not emphasize herself.

Gina Torres has a classic attitude, helped by her seat position; legs are ok but left arm just hang by itself. And she has a no shine on her look.

Morena Baccarin looks like a little girl; her pose is awkward and leaned backward; her left knee put forward is not classy either and she has no peps on her face. The arms have not found a perfect position either.

Comes Summer : her body has a perfect balance. She stands firm on her legs and the arms strengthen her position. Notice the left leg position that emphasize the natural curve of the leg and compare it to Morena or Jewel. She has a suggestive posture created by the move of her hips and her pout. Compare that pout on her face with the other female faces or even with Ron Glass who overdo it. Summer knows how to place her body and how to send an emotional message.

The only one who has an attitude among the men is Sean Maher playing the bad boy : excessively opened legs and head on the side.

Now that you have the keys to decipher the poses, let's move to the second photo :

Complete opposite in this one (this is why i've chosen it) : the photograph asked the cast to smile.

Same remarks as before for Jewel Staite : she's hot but her body is leaned backward and her right and left shoulders are on the same level which is not very feminine; hot though and she has a nice smile. Did i mentioned she was hot?

Morena is fine, her pose and arms too. Her smile is a little contrived though.

Gina has it all wrong : bad pose, bad shoulders, arm hanging on her side, right leg backward (??). Her smile is a little contrived too.

Summer is once again on top regarding the pose : good balance, suggestive and sexy pose. Head slighly on the side which makes the line of the shoulders look fine. Notice her left hand fingers caught on her dress (like a men would have a hand in his pocket) to avoid a hanging arm. Not her best smile though.

As for the guys :
Sean has it all wrong this time : bad balance (look at the awkward position of his feets), jacket too large. And here's a tip you learn from modelling : when you put your hand and your pocket, don't put it all the way or it will make an unaesthetic bulge : the trick is to put only the forefingers and not to close your fist.
The best is Ron Glass who has a cool attitude and bright smile.

Watch more photos from the same photoshoot in the Gallery: Studio Photoshoots > 'Serenity' Cast Photo Shoot

And now two pictures of the four female of the cast only; the production made really nice picts back in the days, or maybe it's just the women who are beautiful. Anyway i will show you that the poses of the models are not perfect.

The two group picts are similar but there is slight differences that makes a picts is good or excellent; i will compare the two picts by looking at one girl at a time:

The women of 'Serenity' Photo Shoot

Gina : on the top pict, you find her now famous hanging (right) arm, which she corrected on the bottom pict, see the immediate difference on the posing. Legs crossing are ok as usual with her but her look is more intense in the bottom one. No nail polish though.

Morena : she's nice and not a bad model but she obviously lacks personality in those pictures. Position of arms are better in top pict. No nail polish though.

Jewel : who has chosen her clothes? The three other women have very nice dresses that enlighten their charms while being classy at the same time whereas Jewel as a mini skirt with apples pattern and a simple jersey. This must be why she seems to be sulky in both pictures. She has a slouchy position which seems to be a constant with her : it would be better if she straighten up her torso. Nail polish and nice shoes contrast badly with casual clothes.

Summer : what is there to say? Summer is perfection in both pictures. Hair, make-up, dress underline her charms. Posing is amazing : original and sexy, notice how the legs and feets uses the space and the furnitures, upper body is straighten up. In top pict she has an intense look while in bottom pict she has a mischievious look, but it works fine in any case.

Solo pict of Summer is climax; i won't analyse it because you can do it on your own now. This picts sumps up the posing qualities of Summer.

Watch more photos from the same photoshoot in the Gallery: Studio Photoshoots > The women of 'Serenity' Photo Shoot

As a conclusion, i hope you enjoyed my analyse of those pictures. I have chosen the pictures where the points i wanted to enlighten are the most obvious but they're valid for the other as well.
This is my personal vision of these pictures and you're entitled to have another. Feel free to develop on comments.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 08:34

BlaziusDate: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 01:23 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
Congrats michelangelo , for your very detailed and professional study on the pictures, I enjoyed reading it!

I would like to add some personal observations and what impressions each woman had on me based on the pictures and the patterns which the actresses follow. I don't aspire to be as detailed or scientific as michelangelo, I'm just making a few comments focusing more on the overall impressions than the specific details or the rules.

I noticed that on these pictures pretty much everybody live up to their own style, personality which are more or less reflected by the characters they are playing.

Jewel is a pretty girl but not very feminine. At the same time she is not as masculine either as Gina Torres. She is kinda neutral, and she also lacks the "flame" which is required to stand out from the crowd and being interesting. This stands for her characters as well both in Firefly and even in Stargate Atlantis where her character was basically the same as Kaylee just in a different context. She is not extremely bad but neither extremely good so she ends up as boring and unnoticable on the picture and onscreen as well. She is not bold, nor she is in the center of things, she just gets along and hopes that her prettyness will earn her something.

I think they made a huge mistake with Gina! She is not that type of woman who wears pretty and sweet clothes and plays the "princess" yet she is forced into this situation which she just can't handle well. Something less feminine and more "badass" would have been better, and that way she could do her regular "tough" poses as well.

As for Morena. What the hell happened with Morena? I mean even in the show, and also on these pictures? She was a feminine yet badass girl, with full of life and such. I have a "past" with Morena you know. She played Adria in Stargate, one of my favorite female villains. At that time I fandomized her because she was pretty and fragile looking and yet though in Sg-1(like Summer) but here? She is very flat and unimpressive(still not as much as Jewel) especially compared to her "other" self who she could make a picture interesting even by herself. I suspect through that her haircut messes her up horribly here and even in Firefly. Also in Sg-1 she got more "princess like" clothes which made her more modest and beautiful. Her clothes aren't very spectacular here. A pity because she is much more capable than that.

Summer is just as spectacular as always. For one she once again uses her "dancer-instincts" to master her body language and send the right massage to everybody who watches her. Also she got the most beautiful and fitting clothes so she doesn't have the same problems as Morena and Gina. I'm particularly interested in the second picture. I think thats one of the sexiest picture of Summer I've ever seen. I disagree with michelangelo on the smile through. I think thats a classical girly and a bit innocent "Summer-smile"(okay not the best Summer-smile but its a Summer-smile nonetheless so it wonderfully works) which perfectly counterbalances the erotic pose and it gives a beautiful confident, bold but not overly aggressive impression. On the pictures Summer is a bit like in the shows. She outshines pretty much everybody with her beauty and proficient approach backed up by her incredible talents and the flame which burns in her hearth.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 07:06 | Message # 3
Thanks for the insightful remarks, as always.

And now my comments on your comments :

Quote (Blazius)
I noticed that on these pictures pretty much everybody live up to their own style, personality which are more or less reflected by the characters they are playing.

I don't think you should try to refer the actors featured on these studio photos to the characters they play on the serie. I may be wrong but this was not the purpose of these photos imo: they're not "in situation", the goal is to promote the cast and not the crew.
What connection is there between the sludge-covered mechanical and the sexy lady or between the nice doctor and the bad boy; same for all actors.

The following promo pictures are "in situation " : the actors are pictured more or less like their character on the serie.
Obviously the actor on a wheel-chair is not disabled in real life on the "Glee" photo. And the scenery recalls the show (loudspeaker,...).
Also in the "Castle" picture, the woman and the girl are clearly mother and daughter on the show; can you tell from the "Firefly" pictures that Summer and Sean are siblings in the show?

I agree with you about Jewel. Side note : Joss Whedon asked her to take weight to play a more credible mechanical on Firefly. I don't have to tell you how hard it must be for an actress, used to take care on her looks, to have to do this. Obviously these photos were made after the show has ended and Jewel has recovered her hot looks; this is maybe why she overdo the sexy girl in these pictures.

Why would you want Gina to play a badass on these pictures? (See remark one). Minus the mistakes in the posing i noticed previously, she's elegant. She simply hasn't Summer's sparkle.

Good points on Morena and Summer.

I know some may say our comments and conclusions are biased because we're on a fansite (i saw the words "creepy" and "biased" on a social media board); i'm sorry to hear that because i always try to prove what i'm saying. What creepyness is there to describe arms or torso poses in posing photos ??? I prefer that someone tells he disagree with me than saying i'm being dishonest.
At least i prefer to have less members but more interesting comments from the existing members.

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 07:21 | Message # 4
Thanks for the analysis michelangelo. Not only did I enjoy your insights into these pics, but you also taught me how to look at pics in general.

My only comment is about the first pic, with all the cast and Summer on the left hand side. I have seen this pic many times and every time I see it I am struck by how the actors are dressed and posed so very differently from the characters they played in Firefly and Serenity, especially the women.

Like I always felt River Tam was a homeless waif who wore unappealing cast-off clothing and never ever behaved in a sexually alluring way. And yet in this pic Summer has make-up and nice hair and is wearing a fairly revealing outfit and striking an aggressive pose with a lascivious pout. Similarly, Jewel is dressed and coiffed as Kaylee would never have been. Gina is dressed and seated in a most feminine manner, quite unlike her character Zoe. Even Morena is very different from Inara since she is dressed very conservatively in an unremarkable off-white dress and posed in such an undramatic way. She is very much quite the opposite of Summer, just as sophisticated Inara was the opposite of unsophisticated River, but of course their positions are reversed here.

I have often thought that these effects were deliberate, but I am not sure why it was done this way.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 08:01

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 07:31 | Message # 5
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
you also taught me how to look at pics in general.

One day i shall make a post on how to decipher the messages a movie/tv show director want to send the audience by analysing a few technics they use.

Edit : even if it was not made for this, my post just above yours should partially answer your question about pict 1. Wheter you do "in situation" or "out of situation" photoshoot is marketing and Public Relation decision according to a strategic media plan/media planning. First one speaks to the core audience of a show/ movie and you will find it preferably on specialized press/website or on the genre pages of a general magazine while the other speaks to tv viewers/movie-goers in general and you will find it preferably on general-interest press.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 07:46

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 00:00 | Message # 6
Quote (michelangelo)
I don't think you should try to refer the actors featured on these studio photos to the characters they play on the serie. I may be wrong but this was not the purpose of these photos imo: they're not "in situation", the goal is to promote the cast and not the crew.
What connection is there between the sludge-covered mechanical and the sexy lady or between the nice doctor and the bad boy; same for all actors.

I will try to explain. I think that characters aren't given blindly to the actors. The characters mostly mixes with the given actors style and if they fit or not determines the final outcome. Examples: I mentioned Jewels unnoticable "mediocre"(can't explain better but not a good word) status on the picture. Now it differs from person to person but for me Kaylee and the doctor from SG Atlantis gave the same impression. They wasn't even written to be the main heroes, and I even remember to a few character comments on it in Atlantis. Jewel lacks the "flame" and therefore she plays a character which was never meant to be the hero of the show.

Or in the case of Morena, the Inara character doesn't really fit her. Adrias "misbehaving, rebelling , but yet very clever child" personality fits more with with Morena, that was her best character ever IMO but she can't handle this more mature, quiet Inara character very well and therefore she is mediocre here too. The picture reflects this as well, because her haircut and clothes reflect more the Inara style(which doesn't work for me), while a more bold Summer like approach would represent more the Adria style.

Of course River was not like Summer on the pictures in that she wasn't ever portrayed in any sexual way but River was over the top and central in the show and much more in Serenity and on the pictures you can say the same about Summer.

Quote (michelangelo)
Why would you want Gina to play a badass on these pictures? (See remark one). Minus the mistakes in the posing i noticed previously, she's elegant. She simply hasn't Summer's sparkle.

Okay you are right on the other pictures but I really feel sorry for her because of the second picture. She just can't hadle this as well as Summer or Morena.

Quote (michelangelo)
I know some may say our comments and conclusions are biased because we're on a fansite (i saw the words "creepy" and "biased" on a social media board); i'm sorry to hear that because i always try to prove what i'm saying. What creepyness is there to describe arms or torso poses in posing photos ??? I prefer that someone tells he disagree with me than saying i'm being dishonest.
At least i prefer to have less members but more interesting comments from the existing members.

Maybe I have insufficient understanding of English language but how can you describe posts like these as "creepy"? Why is it creepy? I don't understand.

As for biased. I would only be really biased towards Summer if I were a family member of hers or her friend or something. I'm not saying good things about her because I'm such a nice guy who says compliments on every actor/actresses fansite just to make them happy. I'm saying these because Summer earned my respect and my attention and her skills and qualities made me her fan. I would worship another person if he/she had the same impression on me as Summer but I haven't found another person so far who could even be a match for Summer. I wont say that I find Jewel as much talented or attractive as Summer because it would be a lie!(read my sentence carefully to avoid misunderstandings). The people who are saying these things are the same who are responsible for the catastrophic condition of the movie industry IMO.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 00:25 | Message # 7
I have a completely different approach from yours when it comes to actors and their characters; i make zero connection between an actor and the character he plays. Most of the time i don't care about an actor's private life or her personality in real life; it happens that we learn a lot about them in people magazine or by seing interviews but i never try to relate those elemnets to the character they portray in films.
I think that an actor who is extraverted and likes to show off in real life can play without any sort of problem a charracter who is shy or introverted and vice-versa; this is the case in the serie Alphas were Azita Ghanizada is extraverted in real life but plays a shy middle-east women or Ryan Cartwright who plays an autist.
I'm not saying i'm right or you're wrong, just that i have a different approach and criteria.

As for the last remark, i don't understand either. There is a lot of people who likes to troll on social media sites and there is little we can do about that.

10000DaysDate: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 07:21 | Message # 8
Nice observations, Michelangelo. Personally I like the second picture of the cast members because they're all smiling and have fun. I particularly like Summer, Nathan, and Ron in this picture. Tbh on the first picture, they all look like they're having constipation :p.

As for the ladies' picture, I've never found Jewel Staite attractive or pretty. She looks really uncomfortable in those pictures like she wants to get the hell out of there. Morena looks good but rather plain with that black dress. On the other hand Summer and Gina take the spotlight for me. Their dresses are just so elegant and gorgeous. In the second picture, Gina looks so fierce and I like her skin tone. With such an amazing pose and those facial expressions, Summer would still look beautiful and elegant in a potato sac. Also both have killer legs which the dresses and their poses show off nicely.

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 11:28 | Message # 9
Quote (10000Days)
Tbh on the first picture, they all look like they're having constipation :p

Lol.
I don't know why the actors are asked to sulk in almost every promo shots; i'm not talking about Firefly in particular but about every tv shows (other than comedies of course).

Also i'm glad to see that each member of the Wiki sees the pictures differently and prefers different photos or actors's posing within the photos. I reckon that my observations are somewhat subjectives.
Also it's good to hear comments from someone who is not suspected to be biased, i was expecting to read this here. I'm bored to see ONLY comments like "she's hot" in every social media board.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 27 Sep 2011, 00:37 | Message # 10
It's been a while since Summer attended a red carpet event; we don't have the opportunity to see her wearing nice dresses that often. Her TSCC partner Lena Headey was more lucky and was even voted as Best Dressed at the 2011 Emmys.

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 24 Oct 2011, 00:57

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 07:11 | Message # 11
I have never seen these photos. If you can't appreciate anything else about Firefly you certainly can not say that it does not have one of the greatest looking casts of any television show.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 07:14

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 26 Aug 2013, 15:42 | Message # 12
I had to re-upload the photos in the first message because the links were obsolete.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Insight into Serenity/Firefly promotional photoshoot
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: