menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Why i have faith in Summer Glau.
Why i have faith in Summer Glau.
chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 16:35 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
I don't know how Summer Glau feels on a personal and professional level right now but i know that a lot of her fans are in a period of doubt; she has not found a regular role on a serie since The Cape was cancelled. I'm very well aware this is how the systems works in the movie/business; still we've seen articles online everyday for months where actors/actresses are hired in existing or new series for Summer or Fall shows.

Yet i have faith in her. And i'm going to explain why in this article.

I suppose many of you knows Joss Whedon's work and you know that he is known for portaying strong female characters; but usually Whedon's show tells the journey of such characters from normal persons to extraordinary persons.
These rite of passage or rebirth metaphors can be compared to the day you were born, when you move from a secured, dark place to an unknown world into the light. It's a moment of crisis (now you begin to see what i mean).

These themes were largely explored by Joss Whedon on Buffy The Vampire Slayer for example. I will take another example, related to River Tam.
The final scenes of Serenity, when the crew is surrounded by reavers and Mal is fighting with The Operative, is a crisis at its climax and the audience should fear for the future of their beloved characters. And what happens when everything seems lost? We see a turn in River's existence. I'm not talking about the big slaughter with the reavers but the moment right before that when she is with her dying brother. Suddenly she is transformed from protected to protector : "you have always taking care of me ...my turn".
I embbed here the video of that scene; you'll notice the lights effects at the very moment River stands up and says "my turn" : the ligths suddenly went on and she goes from the darkness to the light while runing with determination to face her fate. At that very moment, River was not a child anymore but a woman, not the girl the crew protected but the girl who protects them.

Back to Summer Glau herself. You all know she sacrifice a young girl must make to become a ballet dancer. That was Summer's life in her teen years but an ankle injury decided otherwise. This period must be terrible for someone who dedicated his life to dancing for years and yet she had to abandon her dreams of a carrer in ballet dancing, she will no longer become an artist in that domain.

I often mock her apparent awkwardness during interviews, considering this as a weakness in her character; but i'm wrong doing this. Because the young Summer Glau decided that in spite of that accident she still would be an artist, in a domain that is not less competitive than ballet dancing. Moving to Hollywood must have been a hard decision, because Summer's assets were relatively limited. She had no relations (to my knowledge) and Hollywood is crowded with astonishing beautiful women who wanted to become an actres since their early age. But Summer felt she had something to give to the world and if it was not through dancing, it would be through acting. That proves a strong will.
Summer Glau may be not the extraverted type but she has something that few people posess and you can see how it shines trough her face when interviewed. She's vulnerable, yet strong. This is maybe why she was so radiant when playing River Tam or Cameron; despite her gracile frame and porcelaine complexion, she's not just credible in those roles, she's incredible.
An artist has reborn.

The decision to change her talent agency must not have been an easy one but she felt she had to do it. As i said before what she just needs is a bit of luck and lucidity from Hollowood Execs.

And now you understand why i have faith in Summer Glau, faith in her future.
My one and only ambition for the Summer Glau Wiki is we can accompany her, because i have this feeling engraved in me that it's worth it.

This might interest you :
Exclusive : Summer's new tv gig revealed!
Video : Summer Glau 2011 Calgary Expo Panel Video
Photos : Summer Glau Pictures from Calgary Comic Expo
Verses : No Fate Fan Campaigns and Browncoats Redemption

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 13:43

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 16:36 | Message # 2

GraniteDate: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 18:27 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
I believe in Her and not worry about the future of her career ( BTW ,i think in this case, you must use the verb "believe" and not "faith" ... One must ask, for whom English native speaker).

But to take this opportunity, I would say the following. During his long acting career has made incredible strides Summer - played a role, which became absolutely cult - River and Cameron. In addition, has established itself as a professional in the business who is willing to not avoids small or original roles.

For illustrative, you can compare her achievements to date with the status of two-fold Olympic champion in the sport. She has a lot of loyal fans who have conquered its achievements, and they want to see their idol is always in top form - "Eternal Champion". But for me, what has already made Summer - beyond the possible for one person. Of course, now it is in excellent shape, fully ready to work and play a lot of good roles. My own peace of mind regarding her career is based on its incredible achievements in the past smile

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 18:39 | Message # 4
Thanks for the comment Granite, i was a bit afraid that my longer than usual article would discourage viewers.

Summer has a cult status, this is true. But among the scifi fans only, which is not enough.
Summer is not well-known enough to be offered great job opportunities; by great job i mean big project like tv shows with well A-list actors (Kieffer Sutherland,...) or blockbusters movies.
See the upcoming "Cowboy& Aliens" with Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig : Olivia Wilde get the leading female role partly because she is better known than Summer.

GraniteDate: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 20:00 | Message # 5
... And yet another metaphor - the actors also have a "weight category." When compared to boxing, the heavyweight champion in disproportionately more popular than any other champion in the division. But there is the legendary fighters who remained in history as "the best, regardless of weight class." Many of the "Cruiserweight" - boxers gaining weight in an effort to get a heavyweight, even with the damage to health or effectiveness in combat, for the sake of big money and respect ( as Vasilij Zhirov, James Toney, or herself Roy Jones Jr. ). But everyone has their own destiny, and not all be "heavyweight" smile

I many apologize for such a rough comparison - (((

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 20:08 | Message # 6
Don't be soory, it's a good comparison.
More, the big champions (sports or movie) prefer to have competotors of the same category around them; It is very unlikely Harrison Ford would want to have Summer Glau as a partner, he would prefer to have Angelina Jolie or Julia Roberts.
Or it happens Hollywood calls a complete unknown for a blockbuster (Transformer franchise).

But rules are made to be broken; at least i hope that's will happen for Summer.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 05:56

TheSaviorDate: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 21:05 | Message # 7
It will definetly come to be true.
Indeed i'm a bit in a rush those days since my Society will be opened in about 1-2 months [damn Italian Slow burocracy] and when we will be ready to make our move, the internet world will tremble in fear and shame and hope...

The first thing we will go to do, is call back our beloved Summer as fast as she can be "free" from other works, and then, after two major works with her as "supporting actress" we plan to make a full-story telefilm with her as the main actress togheter with other 3 interesting actors...

We have big plans for the future and what is therefore sure, is that our society will definetly ever cast Summer if she like our way of working.

And also if for some reason we will fail our plan, i'm sure somebody else will cast her. she is awesome and strong, and charismatic, she deserve to be more famous also in other categories, not just sci-fi.

"This isn't the first time we've done this..."
Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

TheSaviorDate: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 21:09 | Message # 8
PS: Michelangelo you state most time you are not a person with fantasy, but you indeed have an artistic and poetic soul...your post about the growing up and light and shadows and oooh all that...is so true!
You have depicted exactly what is the heart of all Joss works.

"This isn't the first time we've done this..."
Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 02:23 | Message # 9
Quote (michelangelo)
I often mock her apparent awkwardness during interviews, considering this as a weakness in her character; but i'm wrong doing this. Because the young Summer Glau decided that in spite of that accident she still would be an artist, in a domain that is not less competitive than ballet dancing. Moving to Hollywood must have been a hard decision, because Summer's assets were relatively limited. She had no relations (to my knowledge) and Hollywood is crowded with astonishing beautiful women who wanted to become an actres since their early age. But Summer felt she had something to give to the world and if it was not through dancing, it would be through acting. That proves a strong will.

Do you see why I have always protested when somebody mentioned that how vulnerable Summer Glau is? Its impossible for a weak willed person to accomplish such feats as Summer did.

BTW you summed up her qualities beautifully.

Her love for art is what makes her so extraordinary. What makes her different from all of her other peers is that she apparently never danced or acted for money or for fame(thats why she didn't start as an actress but a dancer) but because she saw acting as a path to self-fulfillment. Acting for her is not a means to an end but the end itself. This is what gives her that strange power during acting, that is why her characters feel so alive. Basically we get the to see an artist becoming complete which is why its so rewarding to see her onscreen.

I suspect that every(well, the majority) of the Summer fanbase is looking for something similar "higher-purpose" as Summer Glau. Her success draws the other seekers as well and she has become some kind of symbol of this higher-purpose. Just look at the huge amount of fan made pictures which portrays Summer as an angel. Just ask yourself what do you associate with angels and you get the idea what I'm talking about. Unfortunately her strengths are her weaknesses too because her qualities are hard to understand to the large majority which is why her fanbase is limited to so few people.(I know I can't outwrite michelangelos awesome article, I just want to add my own opinion, feelings)

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 02:46

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 06:19 | Message # 10
Thanks for the enlightened message, Blazius.

To tell the truth, i was thinking about you and Devo when i wrote the passage about her character; this is why it's worth to have you around.

Summer said it herself once : "I’m an entertainer- have been all my life… I want everyone to be pleased with my contribution." : in this case entertainer has to be taken in the sense "an artist". You'll notice she says "all my life", meaning she includes her dancing years in her artistic journey, of course.
Without any false modesty, I think i did not misrepresent who she really is.

I will not comment too much the "angel" aspect because i'm afraid to said too obvious things; still, i think the photomanipulation i made not so long ago, "angel or demon", captures both her sweatness and her strength.
I Bruno Bettelheim was still in this word he could have helped us.

GraniteDate: Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 22:58 | Message # 11
@ Blazius - man, you great. How long have I not heard as words of wisdom. I apologize for being straightforward, but it's a pure heart friends

PS - OMG 561 views this thread o_O

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 23:15 | Message # 12
Quote (Granite)
PS - OMG 561 views this thread o_O

In less than two days, this is quite impressive, indeed; in fact i have promoted this article outside the wiki, hence the abnormaly high number of views. But i don't want this to be a one shot.
This is why i'm trying to improve the layout of the home page with Fermi so that the new viewers see that the wiki is updated regularly with new content.

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 03 Jul 2011, 16:27 | Message # 13
Quote (Granite)
@ Blazius - man, you great. How long have I not heard as words of wisdom. I apologize for being straightforward, but it's a pure heart

I'm glad that you loved my post happy

Quote (Granite)
OMG 561 views this thread o_O

I'm also happy to see that we can attract more and more visitors. You can never have enough visitors!

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 03 Jul 2011, 16:38 | Message # 14
Quote (Blazius)
I'm also happy to see that we can attract more and more visitors. You can never have enough visitors!

Don't be fooled, i've made what was necessary to promote this article outside the wiki and attract new viewers but these are one shot viewers; what i want is more viewers on the long term. The only way to achieve this is to have more interesting, more original content and present it in a convenient and enjoyable layout.
This is a lot of work and this is why i keep suggesting improvements. All the active members participate to the process.

Edit : i just realised i made the same answer two post above. I'm starting to loose my head wacko

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 04 Jul 2011, 00:49

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 03 Jul 2011, 17:23 | Message # 15
Yeah, you mentioned that they are just one shot visitors but at least they have heard of us now, I guess thats better than nothing but I may be wrong.

I can only say that the interesting topics, simple layout and the always refreshing news made this site the best choice for me among the Summer Glau fansites when I lurked but it seems that not everybody shares my opinion.

I just want to say to every member that don't be discouraged if the visitor ratings are not particularly high, you are doing a fantastic job!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Summer Glau appreciation » Why i have faith in Summer Glau.
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: