Latest Photos

Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!

New messages Members Forum rules Search

Page 1 of 11
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Arrow » Poll: What did you think of Arrow 2x08 "The Scientist"
Poll: What did you think of Arrow 2x08 "The Scientist"
What did you think of Arrow 2x08 "The Scientist"
Date: Thursday, 05 Dec 2013, 03:45 GMT | Message # 1

Site Admin

What are your thoughts about Arrow 2x08 'The Scientist'?

Tonight's episode of Arrow titled 'The Scientist' marked the introduction of the Barry Allen character (aka The Flash) and also Summer Glau's fourth (and penultieme) appearance on the show. Summer's character Isabel Rochev had a tense reunion at Queen Consolidated with Moira Queen and Oliver was caught in the middle more than once. Later in the episode, Summer looked stunning wearing a long black gown at the party thrown by the Queen.

What are your thoughts about Arrow 2x08 'The Scientist'?

Take on our poll and share your thoughts below.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Thursday, 05 Dec 2013, 04:06 GMT | Message # 2

Site Admin

Moira Queen is a bad ass!

Sure Isabel is a bitch but I can't really say she's bad. I thought Arrow writers were going to reveal her connection to the Queen's family in this episode. It looks like they changed their plan. Maybe in next episodes.
When Oliver and Isabel had a drink at the party, I thought that maybe they would do it again...but no. In other romantic news, it looks like the Barry/Felicity ship scored points. How will the Olicity ship resist? Grant Gustin was fantastic as Barry Allen. He really nailed the character.

And awesome cliffhanger.

Date: Thursday, 05 Dec 2013, 17:39 GMT | Message # 3

Site Admin

After seeing episode 8 "The Scientist", many summer Glau fans, like The1Russter for example, have said they were disappointed to see that Summer Glau's character Isabel Rochev was underused and most importantely there was close to zero character development. In that regard, episode 6 was interesting, especially when Isabel and Oliver had their discussion in the bar and Oliver asked her about her motives. I thought Arrow writers would tell us more about Isabel's' skeletons in the closet' in episode 8, especially since Arrow EP Andrew Kreisberg hinted in an interview that a "big reveal on Isabel's connection to the Queen family" would happen in this episode. This reveal would probably tell us more about Isabel's REAL motives to raid Queen Consolidated. But it seems Arrow writers have changed their plan.

Summer said in an interview she actually filmed 5 episodes. Since she already guest starred in episodes 1, 4, 6 and 8, next week episode (assuming she's in it) is our last chance to learn more about Isabel Rochev. At this point, I'm not sure what is the purpose of introducing Isabel Rochev on the show; apart from the fact she's constantely telling Oliver off, I can't even say if she's a villain or not. Sure, Moira made clear that she and Isabel share history but at this point we have no idea what it's about, talk about slowly building a character. The sci-fi crowd has very positive feelings towards Summer but Arrow writers got to give us something to marvel about. Isabel is still much too one dimensional at this stage. Of course Summer is perfect at being a bitch one second and being charming the next one (remember the scene on the tarmac at the end of the Russian episode, "I'll see you at the office tomorrow"). And Summer delivered those lines perfectly but fans are expecting much more from an actress who has played characters as complex as River Tam or Cameron.

Funny enough, I wouldn't mind if Isabel and Oliver would continue as a couple (even if just in bed). Contrarily to what has been said when we learned Summer would have a recurring role in season 2 of Arrow, Isabel is clearly not a big villain like Malcolm Merlyn or Brother Blood; and if Isabel keep telling Oliver off, they're not insulting each other either. I even thought after seeing them having a drink together at the party at the Queen mansion that they would end up in bed again :-)

Episode 9 will focus on Oliver and Barry once again. I don't see how they will manage to bring in Isabel's backstory. Hopefully, Arrow writers will surprise us one more time.

Date: Friday, 06 Dec 2013, 02:42 GMT | Message # 4

Friends

Great comments nothing much more to add to it really, I must admit I am not sure what the Arrow Writers/Producers have up their sleeve, regarding Summer/Isabel we don"t seem to be any further forward, why the fact that she was on the list that Oliver was chasing around after, The storyline of Isabel Rochev seems to have gone of the boil a little bit, I was very disappointed with the lack of Isabel time from the Arrow writers in The Scientist, It just doesn"t seem to be happening at the moment, other than lack of Isobel I really enjoyed the episode which I can"t really fault It, great action, different story lines for the other characters, mind you come to think of it I don"t recall seeing Laurel in this weeks, never mind we could see a totally different episode next week, I wish it had been on for a couple of hours on Wednesday night these cliffhangers just keep you waiting. roll on next week.

Date: Saturday, 07 Dec 2013, 05:30 GMT | Message # 5

Friends

Better than I actually expected. 

As for the cliffhanger you gotta give it to it, it is great. But how the hell Oliver ended up with not one, but two needles in his leg after they are supposed to have those protectors like every other good syringe out there. They should've either break or lack the needle itself. At least what I think. And what's even more strange, how does Felicity suddenly can't hack in a computer, since she could hack into FBI, CIA, POLICE, Merlyn Inc, you name it. I know that military grade things can be extra hard but still. It's great that it happened, tho because of the cliffhanger. biggrin

It can happen tho, in reality not even the best hackers would be able to do half the things Felicity does and I doubt anyone would've pulled it out in the situation neither. Oliver dying kinda left no time for that anyways. :P 

It's also ironic that Barry was always late to catch on anything from taxis to trains. xD 
Flash being late is way out of his style. :P 
But then you get that this before he actually discovers that he has super powers. (if you are slow thinker too.) :P 
I guess he had it in himself from when he wqas born because of the story he told about his parents, how he ended up 2 block away from his house. 

For me it's kinda a new angle to it, hence I've watched the 90's Flash series when I was a kid. :P 
Which was fairly great show for it's time, but again the mark of that is only proven by it's untimely disease, surviving only one season.

Date: Saturday, 07 Dec 2013, 05:32 GMT | Message # 6

Friends

Did I mentioned that Shado and Felicity were stunningly beautiful and sexy in this ep. 
And I loved the Summer's looks and chemistry between Isabel and Oliver a lot. <3

Date: Saturday, 07 Dec 2013, 13:03 GMT | Message # 7

Site Admin

The introduction of DC comics fan favorite Barry Allen hits its target, judging from the ratings in adult 18-34 (1.2), men 18-34 (1.4) and men 18-49 (1.5). Though this episode did not deliver better ratings than the Diggle-centric-Isabel-Oliver-hooking episode in adult 18-49.

'The Scientist' notched 3.24 million viewers, marking Arrow's most-watched episode of the season, and a 1.2 rating among adults 18-49, tying its season high (achieved in episode 2.06 "Keep Your Enemies Closer").

Read more in the Blog section: Arrow's 'The Scientist' is on target, hits series highs in adults 18-34

Date: Saturday, 07 Dec 2013, 19:23 GMT | Message # 8

Friends

Overall, I thought 2x08 was pretty solid as to be expected.The introduction of Barry Allen seemed to be the main focus of this episode and it seems that he might add a lot to the show further down the road. However, like everyone else here, I believe that the writers could've done more to further the development of Isabel and reveal more info about her. Despite this disappointment, I will still continue to watch Arrow and see where the writers go with Isabel.

Date: Sunday, 08 Dec 2013, 01:22 GMT | Message # 9

Site Admin

Quote MattM ()
Despite this disappointment, I will still continue to watch Arrow and see where the writers go with Isabel.

I don't know if you remember when Summer guest starred in an episode of Grey's anatomy; she had a silent role and we only saw a glimpse of her. After the episode aired, every fan (and others) were saying that Summer was on the decline and some were making fun of her. And then we learned that she would also guest star in the following episode; this time she had a fair share of screen time and lines of dialog.

I think we're in a similar situation. I can't imagine for one second that Arrow producers had not something in mind when they hired Summer Glau to play the recurring role of Isabel Rochev. We still don't know when and where Moira got to meet Isabel (since it's obvious they have common history). Isabel might not be Tallia al Ghul after all but there must something else behind that character that is yet to be revealed.

Date: Sunday, 08 Dec 2013, 18:08 GMT | Message # 10

Writer

Overall I would give the episode a strong 8. Strong showing, good story, we're seeing stronger links between what happened on the island 5 years ago and what's happening in present Day.
The introduction of Barry Allen was very good, though I swear he looks twelve years old. smile Good dialog and interaction between Barry and Felicity. An exciting story that held your attention.

However, I do have my issues with the story too.
1) Story line with Isabel Rochev has all the musical dexterity of someone striking a triangle. Time they start adding some more notes to that story or drop it altogether.
2) Oliver going off on his own that final time was stupid. They've written Diggle following Oliver on many other occasions when he's acted irrationally, why not this time?
3) Because they wanted to bring back Barry Allen at the end to save Oliver's life. A plot line that reminded me much of last season when Felicity and Diggle worked to save Oliver's life.
4) The thing with the needles and Felicity suddenly not able to access a computer was a bit lame.
5) Did you notice the truck was a repainted Fema truck from the start of the season and that they were on the same street too? GROAN!

If it weren't for the issues noted above, I would have given the story a 10.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Sunday, 08 Dec 2013, 18:13

Date: Sunday, 08 Dec 2013, 22:58 GMT | Message # 11

Friends

I'm saying I only thought it was OK. There were bits I liked, for instance the opening with Isabel in the boardroom, some people thought Isabel isn't turning out to be the villain we were led to believe but I thought she seemed pretty nefarious in that scene in black at the head of the table and being all sarcastic about Moira's 'visit'.

That said, I thought the previous episode was way better and more exciting and this one just came off a little cheesy and left me feeling like I've seen this all before - the whole nerd with a cause vibe Barry Allen gives off and nerdy romance thing with felicity - that bit where neither of them finishes a sentence because they keep interrupting each other! - so obviously they're in love now duh! - they use that trick in disney movies and nikolodeon shows so seeing it here on Arrow really made me groan. With those 2 things and Barry constantly missing his train/plane/automobile/whatever this episode strongly reminded me of a 3/4pm superhero cartoon like the mask or something instead of 8/9pm superhero drama for grown ups.

I'm still hooked though and really itching to know more about Isabel and how she knows Moira, and what Ivo is up to (correct name?) and Oliver's time on the island and much more so I think this show is still moving well they just didn't quite hit the mark for me in this one but I'm sure the next will be spot on!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Arrow » Poll: What did you think of Arrow 2x08 "The Scientist"
Page 1 of 11
Search: