menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Fan Conventions » If you met Summer at a con, what would you ask or tell her?
If you met Summer at a con, what would you ask or tell her?
riversfeetDate: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 09:08 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
Since I'll be attending ECCC April 1st, I have been wondering what I'd want to say to her or ask her.

One thing I've thought of, Summer often talks about how she doesn't really like reading about herself online because negative opinions hurt her feelings easily (like the comments about her being a show killer). I'd want to tell her about this site, and TV Tropes, and tell her that there are sites there with fans who genuinely love and admire her and would never speak ill of her.

What about all of you? What would you want to tell Summer?

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

Fox012Date: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 15:47 | Message # 2
Group: Administrators
I've seen summer at fedcon 2009 but i was not able to ask her a question 'cuz i was busy from keeping my blood pressure not going thru the roof biggrin I barely could say "hi Summer Nice to meet you" but that was it xD I had shaky hands bit somehow i managed to get my stuff signed but it was damn great cool

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 16:59 | Message # 3
I would probably tell her that she's an unbelievably good actress with she an amazing personality, that it's refreshing to see that there is actors like her who have not that over-inflated Hollywood ego.

Then i would say that i just want to wish her good luck in her carrier and her future in general.

Side notes :

1) i thought i would see her at Starfury T3 in London this year but she canceled because of her guest appearance in Alphas; maybe another time.
2) @riversfeet : i hope you liked the article i quoted in River with boots on or barefoot? (Poll) thread. Of course you're invited to mention the Summer Glau Wiki to Summer at ECCC and don't forget to take pictures too.

Edit : i almost forgot, is it possible to add a picture of Summer that would illustrate your article? It's easier to look at and more important the pics will be grabbed when sharing the thread via Facebook or Twitter for example; if you like, you can take pics of Summer from previous conventions in the gallery and paste the "Embed code" here.
The Calgary Comic Expo 2011

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 17:05

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 17:09 | Message # 4
I'd very sincerely thank her all the fantastic work she has done and I'd tell her that she is wonderful while I'd try to use some arguments to back it up. While it'd feel very good telling her all this, it'd also serve the purpose of giving her as much positive feedback as possible thus strengthening her resolve and make her job more worthwhile to her. She needs that sometimes I think, everybody needs it and even if not, compliments are always good to hear. And the more people tells her this, the better, I think.

Then I'd wish her good luck for her future projects of course.

Then if possible I'd ask her some of the questions we were discussing or other questions which may be interesting.

I don't know through how much interaction is between celebrities and fans in these conventions and I feel there wouldn't be enough time to do everything I thought of. But even just saying a simple thank you would be nice I think.

Positive feedback from as many sources as possible is the most important thing fans can provide I think.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 17:26 | Message # 5
Quote (Blazius)
Positive feedback from as many sources as possible is the most important thing fans can provide I think.

Exactly!
I think this is very important to make actors feel they're loved for their work (and in Summer's case for herself as well); as you said, i'm afraid one should not have time to say much more, this is how autographs and photo ops works i guess.

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 18:15 | Message # 6
Quote (chrisdvanne)
i'm afraid one should not have time to say much more, this is how autographs and photo ops works i guess.

Yeah. Remember that Starfury advertised the " you can talk five minutes to your actor of choice for extra cash" thing as a super special thing. Now five minutes is just about enough time to say a proper thank you and a bit of praising maybe and then I'm thrown out. But if you don't even do the super special thingy then you only have the autograph table and the photo I presume. Now I guess the line of fans before the autograph table won't exactly wait for me to chit-chat with Summer for more than a minute at best.

Thats why I'm so vocal about some kind of extra interaction between Summer and her fanbase. The thing which Susannah Charleson or Tricia Helfer does on Twitter is a nice approach IMO. How the hell I could give her the much required positive feedback if there are no means to do so properly? Its not like Susannah and Tricia get swarmed by all the idiots ever existed on the internet, right?

Its just not very efficient this way because a considerable portion of the supportive strength of the fanbase is just wasted.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

termi-ninja-torDate: Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 18:21 | Message # 7
I would thank her for excellent performances especially as River and Cameron/Allison.

I would tell her that I think she is very attractive and I would urge her to maintain her health, especially remaining strong enough to be viable for roles that require a degree of athleticism. (I remain hopeful for an eventual ballet performance in The Serving Girl.)

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 19:10

AlexDate: Monday, 19 Dec 2011, 18:03 | Message # 8
Group: Bloggers
At the risk of echoing what others have said here, I would look for an opportunity to say the following:

• I really admire your work both for its originality and its integrity.
  • You are a great actor.
  • I sincerely hope you have continued success.
  • How has your interest in your craft changed since your early days?
  • How do you approach a role? What do you do to understand the character?
  • In your preparations for a role, do you ever look around at people you know for inspiration or does it all come from within, such as you said about your portrayal of River?
  • In your creative process, do you have an approach or is it just all about showing up and jumping in?
  • When you prepare for a character portrayal, what sort of emotions do you feel? For example, in the final moments of Cameron in Born to Run, just about everyone was reduced to tears seeing Cameron sacrifice herself because we all felt for her. When you first read the script, was it a sad experience? Would you need that emotional "release" to better understand her and get past the sadness to be ready to perform the role?

I don't think five minutes would be enough. I really liked the approach taken in the Calgary Comic Con of 2011. There are three segments on YouTube (posted by Oil Country Don if memory serves and I believe he responded on this wiki). The interviewer was really good I thought and he encouraged audience questions. She was so engaging and forthright. I think the best approach would be to just have her talk.

As an aside, as I wrote this, I was listening to an interview of Annie Clark (St.Vincent) on the CBC (Q with Jian Ghomeshi). She struck me as a gifted, young performer who is an immense talent but she has to become better at modulating and controlling her performance. She is very good but, like the early Summer Glau, she needs experience to develop the full potential of her talent. If I could only ask one question of Summer Glau, it would be how has your acting changed since the early days.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Monday, 19 Dec 2011, 18:11

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 19 Dec 2011, 18:51 | Message # 9
Glad you mentioned Calgary CC 2011 because it was the first time i saw a video of Summer Glau alone on stage and i was surprised that she could easely entertain an audience, with the noticeable help of the interviewer though. But the variation of her voice and facial expressions were really amazing, something that i saw only in pictures from other conventions. Seing the videos changed a bit my conception of Summer's personality.
Summer Glau 2011 Calgary Expo Panel Video

I think the following excerpt shows her hability to make the show and her "innocence" at the same time; it's also interesting because it's current Summer talking about the inexperienced Summer during early Firefly days.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 19 Dec 2011, 18:52

NoPowerInTheVerseDate: Monday, 30 Jan 2012, 23:29 | Message # 10
If I met her I don't think I could speak but even if I did, I'm told a lot that my irish accent is hard to understand and I talk to fast so I'd be like "I love you a lot, your an amazing actress and you have a lot of awesome fans on SummerGlauWiki" .. And she'll be like "whaaa??" ahaha

The1RussterDate: Tuesday, 31 Jan 2012, 02:03 | Message # 11
Group: Writer
If I could say anything to Summer Glau, it would be to thank her for her excellent work. That it was an absolute pleasure to watch her play such divergent and opposite roles of River and Cameron. And that I look forward to each and every project she has taken part in since TSCC and that I hope to see her in many more to come. She has a talent that speaks volumes and is only outmatched by her spirit and character. Her talent is a gift from God, and her presence at this time is a gift to all of us.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012, 09:54 | Message # 12
In case some of you thought about asking Summer to marry you, it has already been done by a fan at Supanova 2010, here's the video :

May i had that this was done in jest, that the guy is already married and that it was done in front of Summer's boyfriend biggrin

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012, 09:54

REGDate: Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 12:14 | Message # 13
yea that vid is infamous now. it's been on twitter and many Summer sites smile

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

ThierryDate: Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 12:27 | Message # 14
I don't have a list of what I could tell or ask her, but there would be a single word :
"Thank you"
... and a smile.
And just ask her if she needs something.

But I wouldn't feel very at ease with hundreds of people who would wait for hours to tell her she is perfect, they love her, that she is beautiful, etc...
The con is the kind of events I am not used to.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

Sammy9578Date: Wednesday, 09 May 2012, 13:18 | Message # 15
It's indeed very hard to do a conversation at a con.
Especially in Summer's case. Her lines are usually insanely long and everyone wants to meet her. So the staff usually pushes the masses to not "waste" time there.

That's a kind of sad thing at big cons like ComicCon, FedCon etc. There are too many people and less time.
A really good and small con is Starfury (UK). There are around 200 to 400 people only. Then you are much closer to the stars than anywhere else.

To thank her for her great work is always a good thing and she appreciates every single wish very much. She will thank you back with her beautiful smile.

I hope Sum will come to Europe soon again. We miss her very much here!

Summer Glau - A Woman We Love
facebook.com/groups/summer.a.woman.we.love/

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Fan Conventions » If you met Summer at a con, what would you ask or tell her?
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: