menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Fan Conventions » Summer Glau at Comic Con 2011
Summer Glau at Comic Con 2011
chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 09:16 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
Summer Glau will be at San Diego Comic Con 2011 during Knights of Badassdom's panel, as you know.

I wish there would be as much new materials (video, photos, articles) for the Comic Con in San Diego. Given the buzz generated by the annouce of KOB coming and the pictures released online the past few weeks, i hope it will be the case.

Last month all the members of the Summer Glau Wiki did a pretty good reporting the infos coming from Calgary Comic Expo 2011. This is why i wanted to create a new thread that everybody can identify very easely (then it could be merged into another thread ( Knights of Badassdom Discussion or TV shows/movies attending 2011 Comic Con San Diego).

You can also post about other movies/series and actors than just Knights of Badassdom and Summer Glau.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 09:39 | Message # 2
First interview of Joe Lynch about Knights of Badassdom presentation at San Diego Comic Con for Collider.com :

Director Joe Lynch Interview KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM

Lynch talks the influence of the film, LARPing culture and the making of the film. Interesting interview for amateurs but not so much for Summer's fans.

Here the extract where she is mentioned :

This is a film that appeals to so many different demographics and fan bases, just with Summer Glau’s fanbase, and Peter [Dinklage], Ryan [Kwanten], Steve [Zahn] and Danny [Pudi] We’re bringing all these collectives of fans together. Screw The Avengers! We have such a great Comic-Con cast, but it was never designed that way. We could have gone with complete unknowns or expected types, but it was important not to cast for comedy. We cast the actors who could be funny, but also took it as seriously as we were. Everybody embraced that.

I know that Lynch had a meeting last Sunday with producing company IndieVest and ID PR (public relation and marketing company for entertaiment medias) in order to provide a strategic marketing plan for KOB; considering the tone of the interview, it seems that they're trying to sell the film for a larger audience than just the horror market. Hence the turn from Horror comedy to a smoother "It’s an adventure film and it’s got a little bit of horror in there"; yeah right, my guess is that some people will be surprised when they will see the amount of blood,guts and cut heads or arms on the screen.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:06 | Message # 3
Second interview for fearnet.com.

Director Joe Lynch Talks 'Knights of Badassdom'

At this stage, the interviews will basically be the same; Joe Lynch will recite the lessons he learned from his Sunday meeting (see post above) and the interview is supervised by public relation company. Meaning we won't learn much from one interview to another.

As i feared previously on this forum, Summer seem to be a last addtion to KOB; actors Pete Dinklage, Steve Zahn, Danny Pudi and Ryan Kwanten are all quoted on the article but not Summer Glau. I don't know if i must laugh or cry.

At least it's good to hear that Lynch was surrounded by professionals in the different steps of the making, post-producing and marketing of the movie.

DevoDate: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:08 | Message # 4
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
First interview of Joe Lynch about Knights of Badassdom presentation at San Diego Comic Con for Collider.com : Director Joe Lynch Interview KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM Lynch talks the influence of the film, LARPing culture and the making of the film. Interesting interview for amateurs but not so much for Summer's fans. Here the extract where she is mentioned : QuoteThis is a film that appeals to so many different demographics and fan bases, just with Summer Glau’s fanbase, and Peter [Dinklage], Ryan [Kwanten], Steve [Zahn] and Danny [Pudi] We’re bringing all these collectives of fans together. Screw The Avengers! We have such a great Comic-Con cast, but it was never designed that way. We could have gone with complete unknowns or expected types, but it was important not to cast for comedy. We cast the actors who could be funny, but also took it as seriously as we were. Everybody embraced that. I know that Lynch had a meeting last Sunday with producing company IndieVest and ID PR (public relation and marketing company for entertaiment medias) in order to provide a strategic marketing plan for KOB; considering the tone of the interview, it seems that they're trying to sell the film for a larger audience than just the horror market. Hence the turn from Horror comedy to a smoother "It’s an adventure film and it’s got a little bit of horror in there"; yeah right, my guess is that some people will be surprised when they will see the amount of blood,guts and cut heads or arms on the screen.

Sounds awesome! biggrin

I doubt anyone will be surprised at the level of violence, considering the title of the film... it's like a disclaimer. tongue

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:23 | Message # 5
Quote (Devo)
I doubt anyone will be surprised at the level of violence, considering the title of the film... it's like a disclaimer. tongue

The title of the film was decided long before the Sunday meeting with PR company, they couldn't change that. KOB is at this moment in post-production meaning the editing has already been done; but the decision, as i guess, to sell the film for a larger audience is very recent, hence i think there will be a gap between what people are expecting from what they've been told at Comic Con and what the movie really is.
I think the trailer might give us an indication; Lynch worked on KOB teaser a few days ago with AV SQUAD, advertising agency specialized in trailers for movies. My guess is that, according to media plan from ID PR, they will show a water downed trailer.

DevoDate: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:31 | Message # 6
Quote (michelangelo)
Second interview for fearnet.com. Director Joe Lynch Talks 'Knights of Badassdom' At this stage, the interviews will basically be the same; Joe Lynch will recite the lessons he learned from his Sunday meeting (see post above) and the interview is supervised by public relation company. Meaning we won't learn much from one interview to another. As i feared previously on this forum, Summer seem to be a last addtion to KOB; actors Pete Dinklage, Steve Zahn, Danny Pudi and Ryan Kwanten are all quoted on the article but not Summer Glau. I don't know if i must laugh or cry. At least it's good to hear that Lynch was surrounded by professionals in the different steps of the making, post-producing and marketing of the movie.

It's because of the PR agency.

Same reason her appearance on Alpha's or w/e has not been announced.

It's why I get so pissed off when I hear some jerk repeat that retarded forced meme.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:36 | Message # 7
Another interview for slashfilm.com; all these interview comes from the same presentation made last week. The medias got a presentaion of the props of KOB, a look at the trailer and at a turn point scene of the movie.
The trailer will be released short after the Comic Con panel.

Director Joe Lynch Talks ‘The Knights of Badassdom’ Plus Footage and Trailer Impressions

Description of the pivotal scene, so as to give you an idea of the movie :

the clip, which featured three of the main characters walking in the woods and encountering a beautiful, zombie girl munching on their friend. To battle it, Steve Zahn’s character, an up and coming sorcerer, reads a spell out of a book he got on eBay. Unfortunately, we learn the spell actually worked to make this girl more evil and powerful and unlocks a chain of events that will lead to a “LARPer buffet.”

Of course that’s all said and delivered with a little more pizazz and humor. And gore. In holding off the zombie girl, she gets impaled on a tree and later transforms into something super gruesome. The look of this scene was what you’d imagine the Evil Dead remake to look like. Glossy but atmospheric. Smoke billowing, moonlight shining, very horror movie stuff.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:39 | Message # 8
Same interview, same answers at screencrave.com

Interview: Director Joe Lynch on Knights of Badassdom

Quote (Devo)
It's because of the PR agency.

You'll notice that the PR agency even imposed the websites the title of the article.

But at least we're not fooled here at the Wiki

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:42

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 10:46 | Message # 9
Quote (Devo)
Sounds awesome! biggrin

To tell the truth, i'm not an horror movie fan so i'm not mad at the smoothered horror tone of Knights of Badassdom, as it seems .

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 18:13 | Message # 10
Time for another interview of Joe Lynch, made exclusively for Wired Magazine.

Knights of Badassdom Bottles Nerd Magic for Comic-Con

Lynch says how the producers ofeers John Landis to direct Knights of Badassdom but he refuses, not without giving them a good word for Lynch.
Also, Peter Dinklage and Ryan Kwanten are again under the limelight but no word for Summer glau; i begin to wonder if these two met on set.

I reproduce the complete interview here :

A word of advice for those headed to Comic-Con this weekend: Don’t stand too close to Joe Lynch — you might get struck by lightning. The director has gotten so lucky in the last few days it’s possible the movie gods may strike him down out of spite.

Lynch, a self-described “lowly geek from Long Island,” will be at the San Diego con to show off his latest film, which is not only generating a lot of hype for its action-comedy-LARP premise, but also its roster of nerd hot-shots like Ryan Kwanten (True Blood), Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) and Summer Glau (Serenity).

The film is also in possession of the world’s best and/or nerdiest title: Knights of Badassdom.

“To be totally honest, everyone thinks we designed this, like we had some kind of Ryan Kavanaugh-esque equation where if we plugged in this, plus this, plus this, equals this, times this and boom! you got a movie that’s going to kill at Comic-Con — that is so not the case,” Lynch said in an interview with Wired.com, discussing the fortuitous timing of the Knights of Badassdom panel and Q&A Saturday in Hall H. “I honestly have to chalk it up to movie magic; the cinema gods were looking down on us.”

Divine intervention also might’ve had something to do with getting Lynch the director’s chair in the first place. Badassdom’s producers originally approached John Landis about making the film. But when the Animal House director told them he didn’t want to do the picture, he also told them they should look into this other guy — a young filmmaker who had just given him a cameo (see below) in one of a series of videos created with Adam Green (Frozen) for the 2008 FrightFest film festival in the United Kingdom.

“He loved those shorts so much and he was showing them to everybody…. That’s how I got in the door,” Lynch said. “He’s been kind of my godfather on this movie.”

A little bit of a godfather, a little bit of a tease. When Landis returned to FrightFest the following year and told the story of putting Lynch up for the gig, he called out the director from the stage, saying, “I recommended Joe, and he got the job, and he starts shooting in October…. Don’t fuck this up, Joe.”

Film fans will get a better idea of how well Lynch did Saturday, but the production stills alone look pretty promising.

So why are nerds atwitter over Badassdom? It probably has something to do with the premise.

The “comedy, horror, fantasy, adventure mashup,” as Lynch calls it, is about a guy named Joe (Kwanten) who loses his girlfriend and job just as his band is hitting the skids. To cheer him up, his friends take him on a LARPing weekend. That alone seems cool, but when you add the twist that somewhere along the line another friend, played by Steve Zahn, comes along with an eBay-purchased book of necromancy and summons a real-life succubus, it becomes just ridiculous (in a good way).
‘Everybody is just freaking out, in the best way possible.’

The film won’t be out until spring 2012, Lynch said. It’s been in the works since before Dinklage was nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister on that other swordplay powerhouse Game of Thrones, and probably before most people stateside associated Kwanten with upcoming superhero movie Griff the Invisible.

The timing couldn’t be more perfect for Lynch’s relatively small indie picture to go up against huge franchises like The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1 at Comic-Con. With such a big-deal cast and the hopes of nerdom now sitting squarely on his shoulders, does Lynch, a Comic-Con devotee for nearly a decade, worry about unveiling his film to the masses, particularly in the giant hall he refers to as “Oz”? Nah.

“Everybody is just freaking out, in the best way possible…. The fact that we’re an indie film and it’s not a remake, it’s not a board game, it’s not an established property, but an original film? It’s amazing,” Lynch said. “Again, I blame either the movie gods or maybe there’s some magic there too.”

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 18:31 | Message # 11
As mentioned in the interview, Lynch and Landis met at a Londonian horror festival, FRIGHTFEST film festival, in 2008.

Joe Lynch and buddy director Adam Green did a couple of short movies and John Landis made a cameo on one of these shorts. And now to give you an idea of the universe Lynch is plunged into, let me show you an hilarious short horror movie directed by buddy Adam Green in 2011:

Sexy Nightmare Slayers (2011)
Created in conjunction with Comedy Central’s Atom.com, ArieScope’s SEXY NIGHTMARE SLAYERS follows two scantily clad, ass-kicking angels from heaven who protect children from the monsters under their beds, the demons in their closets, and a variety of other ghoulish creations that go bump in the night. Starring Team Unicorn’s Rileah Vanderbilt and Clare Grant, you’ll be wishing your childhood had been filled with more nightmares.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jul 2011, 18:44 | Message # 12
Quote (michelangelo)
Joe Lynch and buddy director Adam Green did a couple of short movies and John Landis made a cameo on one of these shorts.

Here it is : The Road To Frightfest (2008), directed by Joe Lynch and Adam Greene, who are also the actors on this short movie.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 00:34

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 00:35 | Message # 13
Another example of buddy Adam Green's vision of women in scifi :

Saber (2009)
We’ve always wanted to see two hot chicks get in a lightsaber fight with each other, so we made this mock commercial in our spare time. You can thank us later.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 00:36

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 00:50 | Message # 14
Quote (michelangelo)
Another example of buddy Adam Green's vision of women in scifi :

They dare to use Star Wars to create this monstrosity!!!!!! angry2 :angry2: angry2

Its not funny, nor attractive, its just outrageous! Somebody please stop them!

I find their lack of respect for women disturbing!

Just for the reference:

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 01:27

10000DaysDate: Saturday, 23 Jul 2011, 06:30 | Message # 15
Oh God..... These short movies are absolutely horrendous. I can only hope KOB is NOT anything like these.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Summer Glau » Fan Conventions » Summer Glau at Comic Con 2011
Search: