[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 19«12341819»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Avengers/Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D./Agent Carter thread (Discuss Whedon's Avengers or ABC's S.H.I.E.L.D./Agent Carter)
Avengers/Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D./Agent Carter thread
FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 00:43 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
He was a reason why ROTS sucked and therefore I don't like him.

He isn't the only. Just about nothing was right with the prequels. Overuse of CGIs, Hayden Christensen as Whiney to be the young version of this guy:

I just watched the original trilogy yesterday in HD, and it seems there are a lot of inconsistencies with the new trilogy. Am I wrong in this?

It seems pretty stupid for there to be such inconsistencies when they have the original source material right in front of them for so long, no reason for inconsistencies, not as if it is a 14 book saga. Hayden Christensen was pretty damn annoying also.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 00:45

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 00:56 | Message # 17
Quote (FordStaff)
I just watched the original trilogy yesterday in HD, and it seems there are a lot of inconsistencies with the new trilogy. Am I wrong in this?

No, you are not. That was yet another reason why the prequels sucked. Almost nothing made sense at all if you watched the OT! Or if it actully made sense then it was so contrived that it was lame.

Quote (FordStaff)
It seems pretty stupid for there to be such inconsistencies when they have the original source material right in front of them. Hayden Christensen was pretty damn annoying also.

I value Christensen above Jackson still because Jackson tried to intentionally ruin the series whereas Christensen just fell victim to Lucas' stupidity.

The problem with Christensen was that he was totally miscast. He simply wasn't suited for this role at all. Anakin was supposed to be a manly, charismatic, heroic figure, closely resembling Vader but still a bit more Jedi-ish and humble. Christensen can only play emo- kids effectively. It was a disgrace to the iconic Lord Vader! And don't even mention the crappy, unrealistic love story.....

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 00:57

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 01:03 | Message # 18
The problem with Christensen was that he was totally miscast. He simply wasn't suited for this role at all. Anakin was supposed to be a manly, charismatic, heroic figure, closely resembling Vader but still a bit more Jedi-ish and humble.

Yes, Vader and Anakin are almost polar opposites, Anakin should have not been so rash and hot headed. It simply does not make sense for this complete change of personality, whether he switched to the dark side or not. Vader may as well be the definition of cold, whereas Anakin ran hot, if that makes sense.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 01:03

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 01:16 | Message # 19
Quote (FordStaff)
Yes, Vader and Anakin are almost polar opposites, Anakin should have not been so rash and hot headed. It simply does not make sense for this complete change of personality, whether he switched to the dark side or not. Vader may as well be the definition of cold, whereas Anakin ran hot, if that makes sense.

One just have to watch the two trilogies to realize this but interestingly Lucas, the very creator didn't realize this. Cool!

Its just sad because the OT was so cool and artistic and perfect. The PT is just yet another stupid pile of...blockbusters! And now he even wants to ruin the OTs by smuggling his filthy CGIs into them! Somebody stop him please!

Thats what I'm thinking about when I'm saying that there is no art in the higher circles of Hollywood. There were but now it died out completely.

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 01:24 | Message # 20
One just have to watch the two trilogies to realize this but interestingly Lucas, the very creator didn't realize this. Cool!

I would have to question how intelligent Lucas is if he did not realize that Anakin in the New Trilogy is the exact opposite of Vader in the Old Trilogy.

The hilarious part to me is that Anakin in the new trilogy is the embodiment of the emotions of the dark side -fear, hatred, rashness etc. etc.

Yet Vader showed no emotion even while killing his subordinates!! If anything Vader should be the Jedi, and Anakin the sith.

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 01:46 | Message # 21
Quote (FordStaff)
The hilarious part to me is that Anakin in the new trilogy is the embodiment of the emotions of the dark side -fear, hatred, rashness etc. etc.

Yet Vader showed no emotion even while killing his subordinates!! If anything Vader should be the Jedi, and Anakin the sith.

TBH Yodas description of the Dark Side in ESB is faulty at best and creates so many contradictions that it isn't even funny.

Another more serious problem besides what you mentioned is that it makes the Dark Side and the Light Side equally important as these are basic emotions just like the benevolent ones. This may indicate that the balance which Luke( later Anakin) is supposed to bring would be equality between the two sides not the eradication of the Dark Side.

Up until ESB and later when it was intentionally ignored in the OT there was only the Force and the Dark Side was a perversion of it, not its another side but more like cancer. This makes more sense in the context of the events.

The problem is that the prequels brought this up again and the two sides theory became a prominent and canon view despite making no sense.

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 04:02 | Message # 22

The problem is that the prequels brought this up again and the two sides theory became a prominent and canon view despite making no sense.

Your post is mostly above my head, I have not watched the OT and NT in immediate vicinity of each other to intricately compare the differing treatments of the canon. The force seems to get differing treatment in each medium that star wars inhabits, even within the same medium the treatment differs.

Star Wars is not exactly my domain, even though I do enjoy it.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 04:04

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011, 19:38 | Message # 23
Quote (FordStaff)
Your post is mostly above my head, I have not watched the OT and NT in immediate vicinity of each other to intricately compare the differing treatments of the canon. The force seems to get differing treatment in each medium that star wars inhabits, even within the same medium the treatment differs.

Star Wars is not exactly my domain, even though I do enjoy it.

Never mind. The important thing is that I don't like when somebody tries to be too uniquely "artistic" and is too liberal about established universes and messes up the whole thing, be it a sequel of a movie or an adaptation of a comic series. And when somebody does it intentionally just to show how tough is he then its utterly disgusting. I hope Whedon didn't do such foolish things or let Jackson dictate because that'd be a complete disaster for the movie.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 02:12 | Message # 24
Jackson was already cast as Nick Fury before Whedon was working on The Avengers, so I doubt that Whedon cares all that much about his opinion. What more could Jackson want? He already has made an iconic character get a race lift, that should be quite enough. I am confused will Jackson demand Nick Fury roundhouse kick Odin into oblivion or something?

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 02:14

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 02:18 | Message # 25
Group: Administrators
Afro-american actors were not that successful in the last few years : Danny Glover is too old for movie and is on a tv show while Eddy Murphy is making flops after flops.
Am i missing someone?

Jackson is still bankable for now.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 02:46 | Message # 26
Am i missing someone?

Will Smith is the only one who comes to mind. Smith is far more bankable than Jackson.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 02:49 | Message # 27
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
Smith is far more bankable than Jackson.

Smith is far more younger than Jackson... That's Hollywood!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 14:07 | Message # 28
Quote (FordStaff)
Will Smith is the only one who comes to mind. Smith is far more bankable than Jackson.

Will Smith is the other black actor I detest besides Jackson BTW. The problem with both is that they try to build the image of the "badass Ghetto hero" too hard and it gets irritating. I wouldn't care normally, they build an image what they want but there are appropriate genres for doing so. Sci-fi is not one of them and as long as they try to do it in sci-fi they'll ruin every movie they are in with it.

BTW I'd swap Jackson with Avery Brooks( DS9, Captain Sisko) in an instant if its not for this stupid practice with bankable and not bankable actors( and add Summer to the cast of course in a main role with more screentime than all other actors have together but I don't think I even have to mention it here biggrin ).

He is a far better actor than Jackson and his intense portrayal of Sisko was one of the best parts of DS9. Another example how this stupid Hollywood approach kills the fun from the movies.

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 17:30 | Message # 29
Will Smith is the other black actor I detest besides Jackson BTW. The problem with both is that they try to build the image of the "badass Ghetto hero" too hard and it gets irritating. I wouldn't care normally, they build an image what they want but there are appropriate genres for doing so. Sci-fi is not one of them and as long as they try to do it in sci-fi they'll ruin every movie they are in with it.

I would not say there is absolutely no room for "badass ghetto heroes" in Science Fiction. Their number should be very limited though, intelligent guile heroes ought to be the foundation. It was certainly a mutilation of I-Robot to have Will Smith as the type of hero you describe as the main protagonist. In the book not only was a woman the main protagonist, but she solved literally everything with knowledge and clever thinking. Yet in the movie that character is sidelined and solves absolutely nothing angry . An honest adaptation of Isaac Asimov onto the silver screen would fail dramatically - 90% dialogue.

I can only think of one of his books where a person is actually shot and killed. Said person was tied down already so it was no shoot out. In fact hardly any characters actually died (in an action packed way at least), I can think of very few. Hell, the only protagonist I can remember actually dieing, did so from a battle of wits with his own programming (not very sell-able on the big screen biggrin ).

A movie where "badass ghetto hero" was more appropriate would be I am Legend, due to the nature of the story the protagonist would by necessity have to be such an archetype to even survive. This movie was not ruined by Will Smith or the badass ghetto hero archetype, but rather the executive meddling of the true ending.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 17:47

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011, 23:17 | Message # 30
Quote (FordStaff)
I would not say there is absolutely no room for "badass ghetto heroes" in Science Fiction. Their number should be very limited though, intelligent guile heroes ought to be the foundation. It was certainly a mutilation of I-Robot to have Will Smith as the type of hero you describe as the main protagonist. In the book not only was a woman the main protagonist, but she solved literally everything with knowledge and clever thinking. Yet in the movie that character is sidelined and solves absolutely nothing . An honest adaptation of Isaac Asimov onto the silver screen would fail dramatically - 90% dialogue.

I can only think of one of his books where a person is actually shot and killed. Said person was tied down already so it was no shoot out. In fact hardly any characters actually died (in an action packed way at least), I can think of very few. Hell, the only protagonist I can remember actually dieing, did so from a battle of wits with his own programming (not very sell-able on the big screen ).

A movie where "badass ghetto hero" was more appropriate would be I am Legend, due to the nature of the story the protagonist would by necessity have to be such an archetype to even survive. This movie was not ruined by Will Smith or the badass ghetto hero archetype, but rather the executive meddling of the true ending.

Yes, but it has certainly no room in SW and in I,Robot or any other kind of "higher sci-fi" material. And Nick Fury is not that archetype either, so if Jackson wants to play that here too(I'm certain he wants) then it will be an epic fail. So Fury either needs to be played by a black actor who can play a Nick Fury properly or switched with the original white version. Either would work but Jackson will not. Unless Whedon finds a way to make Jackson act properly( which is unlikely because I suspect Jackson likes to play this archetype to offset his lack of talent, its a shortcut to fame for him)

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Avengers/Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D./Agent Carter thread (Discuss Whedon's Avengers or ABC's S.H.I.E.L.D./Agent Carter)
Page 2 of 19«12341819»
Search: