menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Help for the Holidays : Summer Glau's Christmas movie
Help for the Holidays : Summer Glau's Christmas movie
TerminatorEmilyDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 05:12 | Message # 121
Group: Friends
It's filled with Glau(awesome)!!

☮"Just because no one has been fortunate enough to realize how wonderful you are, doesn't mean you shine any less." - Summer Glau☮

riversfeetDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 05:52 | Message # 122
Okay, I have a question. Is there really a hotel called "River Hotel"? Or was that some kind of "Firefly" in-joke.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 19:12 | Message # 123
Group: Administrators
I just watched Help for the Holidays smile

It was really a nice holiday movie and Summer Glau is really amazing as an elf; not only is she really cute but her character is adorable.
Summer carries on her shoulders almost all of the movie, the other actors seem "static" and wooden compared to her. The only actor wo stands out is the guy playing Santa.

Watching the movie confirmed that the romance has a large part in the movie; i still don't undertand why Hallmark Channel completely ignored it in the advertising. I'm glad the writers spared us long scenes on the Christmas spirit and kept the movie light-hearted and entertaining till the end.

While i loved the movie, i'am a little surprised it was the Hallmark's Channel most watched original of the year. As i said previously, Help for the Holidays has it all, happiness, romance, magic and Christmas spirit but i did not think it would do so well in the ratings. Must be the Summer Glau effect biggrin

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 21:37 | Message # 124
Pam Slay is the senior vice president of network program publicity for Crown Media Family Networks, home of Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel, which is owned and operated by Crown Media Holdings, Inc.

In this role, Slay spearheads the communications and press strategies aimed at driving tune-in and ratings success for the networks, crafting consumer-focused messages which reflect the goals of Crown Media Family Networks as a public company.

This is the way she advertised the premiere of 'Help for the Holidays' on social networks Twitter and GetGlue a few days ago :

Tweet by Joan Allen

I send her the following message :

Ms Slay,

I noticed your message on social networks Twitter and GetGlue a few days ago, inwhich you encouraged Summer Glau fans to watch the premiere of the Hallmark Channel's original movie 'Help for the Holidays' on December 9, this one :

[See Tweet above]

While I appreciate the effort (though i guess you're simply doing your job after all), I think your message does not fully describe the Summer glau fandom. Summer's fans are an extension of her acting skills, they are versatile and varied.
Since I'm in contact with the Summer Glau fandom on a daily basis through my activities as a blogger at a Summer Glau fansite, I have the feeling that using the word "fanboys" doesn't reflect that diversity.

I can't imagine for one second that you used the word "fanboys" in a demeaning manner (we'll leave that to lazy bloggers) because every fandom needs passionate fans in order to it give force and vigour and the Summer Glau fandom is no exception.

I guess you may have experienced in the last few days that 'Help for the Holidays' received lots of support from the Summer Glau fansites/fans and I have the pretension to think that this support, while recognising the intrinsic qualities of the movie, has something to do with its good ratings.
One can only imagine what would have been the final ratings if the Hallmark Channel had promoted 'Help for the Holidays' to the level of 'Come Dance with Me' for example, or if the promo trailer and behind the scenes didn't completely ignore the romance part of the movie (since we all know that good romantic comedies are ratings juggernauts).

Best regards,
chrisdvanne

Edit : One of those "lazy bloggers" published an article at metro.ca today (it lists potential tv show reboots and a dreamcast) :

Groaning sci-fi fans will be placated by the presence of Gillian Anderson’s shrewd disapproving gaze as well as fanboy jaw droppers Katee Sackoff and Summer Glau thrown in for good measure.

FermiDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 21:54 | Message # 125
With Summers terrific performance as Christine our Christmas spirit wakes to life.

Here are some short clips:

You can't stop the signal!

FermiDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 22:01 | Message # 126
Ref #124

Perhaps you just over analyzing a word in her tweet tongue

You can't stop the signal!

robboDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 23:20 | Message # 127
just watched the movie help for the holidays, smile summer glau was really amazing so charming and wonderfull, her smile would melt ice, such great entertainment for the family, totally agree take summer out of the movie, it wouldnt have been a great film, really weird seeing summer having a kiss, just not use to it thats all. the bonding with the kids was great and with her love interest john brotherton, she was like a magician with her book, good job the book secretly went under the couch, at least she got her ears back, but that soon changed with another kiss, very heartwarming film with a happy ending, summer glau at her most very best great performance, i hope they make a sequel if its a big success for the hallmark channel, smile

TerminatorEmilyDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 23:30 | Message # 128
I love the clip when she's spreading around Christmas cheer.

"Did you call her fat?"
"What? no! she called herself fat"

☮"Just because no one has been fortunate enough to realize how wonderful you are, doesn't mean you shine any less." - Summer Glau☮

Charley_DixonDate: Wednesday, 12 Dec 2012, 23:51 | Message # 129
Quote (Fermi)
Seriously dude? Perhaps you just over analyzing a word in her innocent tweet

After seeing a lot of ladies being Summer's fans and having some ideas about the age of many gentlemen on this forum I would agree with chrisdvanne that the word "fanboys" does not cover the whole diversity of Summer's fan base. Maybe it's something worth pointing out when people seem to be unfamiliar with this fact.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

AlexDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 06:00 | Message # 130
Group: Bloggers
Quote (Charley_Dixon)
Quote (Fermi)
Seriously dude? Perhaps you just over analyzing a word in her innocent tweet

After seeing a lot of ladies being Summer's fans and having some ideas about the age of many gentlemen on this forum I would agree with chrisdvanne that the word "fanboys" does not cover the whole diversity of Summer's fan base. Maybe it's something worth pointing out when people seem to be unfamiliar with this fact.

Yeah, it has been a long, long time since anyone thought I was a boy, fan or otherwise. You make a good point. I also believe that fans of Summer span all ages. She is so talented and she has given some really interesting performances. That would be an interesting question to ask: is Summer's appeal as a performer the same for all ages or does each age see something unique in her appeal? Each age has it's own pleasures by why is it that so many ages take pleasure in her work?

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 09:47 | Message # 131
Quote (Alex)
Yeah, it has been a long, long time since anyone thought I was a boy, fan or otherwise. You make a good point. I also believe that fans of Summer span all ages. She is so talented and she has given some really interesting performances. That would be an interesting question to ask: is Summer's appeal as a performer the same for all ages or does each age see something unique in her appeal? Each age has it's own pleasures by why is it that so many ages take pleasure in her work?

Some fans see her as the Terminator babe and it's fine with me; Summer is an attractive young woman and even Josh Friedman in TSCC used that. The problem is that when each article includes the same very simplistic (and sometimes demeaning) expressions, such as "every fanboy dream", "fanboy favorite", "fanboy jaw droppers ", it contributes to fuel a false image of Summer Glau and her fandom among the public, particularly among those who don't know Summer Glau's work very well.
As you or Charley said, that image is very partial, this is why i call some bloggers "lazy" (read "stupid"); yet, one could say they simply write what their readers want to read (vicious circle).
BUT, that the person in charge of the publicity at Hallmark Channel contributes to that misinformation, is disturbing and simply reveals that years of lazy blogging have forged in the general opinion a false image of Summer Glau and her fandom. I think that this false opinion might dissuade viewers who don't know Summer very well from watching her work or joining the fandom/fansites.

Side note : sorry for the OT, nothing new here and I do not claim to change that (*lie*).

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 10:48 | Message # 132
I strongly invite all fans of Summer Glau who have an account at IMDb to rate 'Help for the Holidays' there - Link to IMDb page.

The goal is to have the best possible rating of course (give it a 10) and reflect the fact that Summer's film was 2013 most watched original movie at Hallmark.

Quote (robbo)
i hope they make a sequel if its a big success for the hallmark channel

Help for the Holidays was 2012 most watched movie of the year at Hallmark, if that is not a sucess...

KevinInEnglandDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 12:20 | Message # 133
I went there and voted & added a few elf facts because there weren't any.

ChoupyDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 12:29 | Message # 134
I rated 10/10 ^^

wink

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 13:28 | Message # 135
@KevinInEngland and Choupy

Thanks guys, this is the way to support the movie biggrin
Great trivia Kevin! I will add a few ones taken from the interviews with Help for the Holidays writer and makeup artist later.

Be sure you're logged into the site with your account before you vote or it won't tally.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Help for the Holidays : Summer Glau's Christmas movie
Search: