menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Help for the Holidays : Summer Glau's Christmas movie
Help for the Holidays : Summer Glau's Christmas movie
FermiDate: Thursday, 13 Dec 2012, 19:13 | Message # 136
Group: Administrators
Quote (Charley_Dixon)
Quote (Fermi)
Seriously dude? Perhaps you just over analyzing a word in her innocent tweet

After seeing a lot of ladies being Summer's fans and having some ideas about the age of many gentlemen on this forum I would agree with chrisdvanne that the word "fanboys" does not cover the whole diversity of Summer's fan base. Maybe it's something worth pointing out when people seem to be unfamiliar with this fact.

I thought fanboy was a widely spread word used for describe any supporters/fans not necessarily just boys. Perhaps that was wrong.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 08:59 | Message # 137
I'm very well aware that fans who don't have access to Hallmark Channel used other ways to be able to watch the movie but may i remind everyone that it must not prevent us from buying the DVD when it's out (if your finances allows it of course).

We did a good job promoting the movie online but now the second step is that Summer Glau fans buy the DVD in groves when it will be available or watch it on VOD. Money is the only language that the networks understand, even a Christian network such as Hallmark.

'Help for the Holidays' performed very well in terms of ratings and hopefully we (Summer Glau fans) helped some with advertisement; while it's impossible to know for sure, i hope that the power-that-be (read network executives) will grasp that it's good for their business to work with Summer Glau and that her fans are a force to be reckoned with.

FYI, i received emails from Hallmark's press department, here's one :

Thanks again for your help in getting the #Help4Holidays word out!

Have a great holiday!

CHEERS

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 14:45 | Message # 138
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Eva LaRue (who plays the busy mom on Help for the Holidays) joined Marie Osmond on the set of Marie’s Hallmark talk show titled “Marie” on Wednesday, December 5.

From the press release :
Marie welcomes the talented star of “CSI: Miami,” Eva La Rue, who dishes on how her husband Joe proposed not once, but twice and how her daughter played a part in their reconciliation. Eva also tells Marie about her Hallmark Channel Original Movie, “Help for the Holidays.”

Eva LaRue on set of Marie Osmond talk show at HallmarkEva LaRue on set of Marie Osmond talk show at Hallmark

Fans were wondering why Eva, and not the lead actress Summer, was a guest on Marie's talk show.
While we can't be sure, we can make a few assumptions; allow me to quote what KevinInEngland tweeted :

As I was saying, I don't have any family that is interested in SciFi, except my daughter and she only likes Startrekky/Stargatey type stuff. Off this site, I do not know a single person that is interested in Firefly, TSCC or the actress named Summer Glau. (Lady up the road is interested but not very forthcoming due to our environment). So, that being said, I would put Marie in that category. I could be wrong. I believe she feels comfortable with Eva but perhaps not with Summer because she does not understand and would not know what to talk about. I see no reason why not but there has to be a reason & only Hallmark has an explanation for not inviting Summer on to Maria's show. Does anybody have any better theories? Or is it better not to theorize?

Kevin makes a few good points; here's my two cents :

Firstly, Eva LaRue played in two sucessful mainstream tv shows, the soap "All My Children" on ABC and the police procedural "CSI: Miami" on CBS. The audience of these series and Hallmark's audience has every chance to overlap and i would not be surprised if Eva and Marie are old friends, simply because they shared the same public on broadcast network and had many opportunities to meet on talk shows or on various media events.
On the opposite, i highly doubt that Marie or Eva went to a sci-fi convention lately; it's nobody's fault if them and Summer don't share the same universe, all the more so Summer is not someone you see in the people events and magazines regularly.
Here's what a Hallmark viewer said on a social network :
Yay! This movie has Eva LaRue, Dan Gauthier & John Brotherton! Love seeing my soap actors in moves! Got a triple thrill this time out!

Ouch, no words for Summer sad
Sadly, this is the reality, Summer Glau is not very well know outside the sci-fi niche. That said, her recent gigs on Lifetime (Deadly Honeymoon), TNT's pilot (Scent of the Missing) and a few other prove that she's trying to change that and 'Help for the Holidays' was a great opportunity in this regard; i'm very glad that she did it (to the great despair of the hard core sci-fi fans - there is plenty in this fansite - who just want to see Summer Glau wear a purple jacket and kick ass).

Secondly, we all know that Summer is not yet completely at ease on a talk show; she expresses her creativity through acting (and she's very good at that) but she's not that good in interviews. This is part of her personality and noone will change that. But the truth is that talk show hosts are looking for guests who can make the show on stage (think Olivia Wilde or Jean Dujardin) and Eva is a talkative and expansive person; if you're not convinced, i invite you to watch the Behind the Scenes video made for 'Help for the Holidays'.
I'm sure Eva did a good job promoting the movie on Marie's talk show...and i'm also sure Marie didnd' care one bit about 'Help for the Holidays' and preferred to talk girly. wink
And honestly, can you imagine for one second Summer Glau talking about her former boyfriend, the way Eva talked about her family (see quote on top of the page).

Even if the real reason Eva was invited were just because Summer was not available, my two points would still stand.

As a conclusion, there's a lot of elements that lead me to think that Hallmark Channel missed all the potential of the movie and didn't advertise it properly; at least, not everything went wrong, since it was the most watched original movie of the year at Hallmark biggrin

Side note : if someone has posted Eva's appearance on Marie's talk show on Youtube, it would be interesting to watch it.

riversfeetDate: Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 17:52 | Message # 139
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
And honestly, can you imagine for one second Summer Glau talking about her former boyfriend, the way Eva talked about her family

FORMER boyfriend?!

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 18:09 | Message # 140
Quote (riversfeet)
FORMER boyfriend?!

I simply tried to draw a parallel with the quote on Eva : "Eva La Rue, who dishes on how her husband Joe proposed not once, but twice and how her daughter played a part in their reconciliation."

I could not say "former husband" since Summer has never been married...to my knowledge smile

riversfeetDate: Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 19:47 | Message # 141
Oh, okay. I thought maybe Summer was suddenly single.

EDIT: Removed comment, that I just realized had too many unfortunate implications behind it.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

Message edited by riversfeet - Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 21:07

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 15 Dec 2012, 17:28 | Message # 142
The last of the 12 original new Christmas movie at Hallmark will air this Saturday; 'Baby's first Christmas' is a romantic comedy, starring Casper Van Dien (Starship Troopers) and Rachel Wilson.

Storyline
When a pair of feuding colleagues, Kyle and Jenna are thrown together after their siblings, Jim and Trisha fall in love, they have to learn to get along in time for their nephew's birth on Christmas. Realizing Jim and Trisha have major money troubles, Kyle and Jenna band together to help and end up on a snowy New York adventure that will prove miracles really do happen at Christmas.

It sounds boring as Hell!
(ok, i must admit i'm just saying this because i don't want this last movie to take Help for the Holidays's title of "Most watched Hallmark original movie of the year")

The women audience will love it because it shows an unattractive women (sorry Rachel Wilson) and an handsome man falling i love; Hallmark's female audience will identify to the character.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 17 Dec 2012, 10:43 | Message # 143
I have already mentioned that the Hallmark Channel recently modified the broadcasting times of Help for the Holidays's repeats (see schedule).

Hallmark planned to broadcast on December 24 at 8/7c, a successful 2011 Christmas movie 'A princess for Christmas' (see yellow arrow on the calendar below) but they recently replaced it with 'Help for the Holidays. I'm no Christmas TV expert, but the newly added broadcasting times on Monday, December 24 at 8/7c seems very supportive and should bring a lot of exposure to 'Help for the holidays'.
While it is difficult to know the precise reason as to why Hallmark made these modifications in the schedule, it may have something to do with the good ratings.

Calendar for the 12 original Christmas movies on Hallmark (not updated)
Calendar for the 12 original Christmas movies on Hallmark

As an aside, you'll notice that the illustrative pictures used in this calendar feature almost exclusively couples in a romantic pose; don't look for a promo picture taken from 'Help for the Holidays', there is none. Similarly, none of the promoting material featured on Hallmark's website or Facebook page to advertise the 12 original Christmas movies shows Summer Glau's movie (except within the two days preceding the premiere, of course).
This is partly why i keep saying that Hallmark failed to see the potential of the movie (they advertised it properly in the two days preceding the premiere on Dec. 9, though). This is also why i created a movie poster focusing on the romance part and submitted it at IMDb :

Calendar for the 12 original Christmas movies on Hallmark

RNBMDate: Monday, 17 Dec 2012, 17:58 | Message # 144
Since watching Help for the Holidays I've been watching a few of the other Hallmark Christmas movies. Watching 'Come Dance with Me', I could have seen Summer playing the dance instuctor in that movie. I can see it now, all Hallmark's 12 original Christmas movies starring Summer Glau. Now that is something I would watch.

TerminatorEmilyDate: Monday, 17 Dec 2012, 22:21 | Message # 145
12 days of Summer! that should be a movie. Summer wakes up one day to find 12 different clones of herself. and one of the clones want to destroy Christmas......:P smile

☮"Just because no one has been fortunate enough to realize how wonderful you are, doesn't mean you shine any less." - Summer Glau☮

Fox012Date: Tuesday, 18 Dec 2012, 09:10 | Message # 146
Group: Users
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I could not say "former husband" since Summer has never been married...to my knowledge

You Knowledge is Flawed... but well we don't talk about private lifes right?!

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 18 Dec 2012, 09:34 | Message # 147
I know i have been ranting a lot about Hallmark's lack of advertising for 'Help for the Holidays' (maybe i'm biased) but...

1) I'm still waiting to see Summer's movie highlighted in the "Check out" section on the homepage at Hallmark's website, whereas the movie paired with "Help..." during the premiere weekend takes all the ads once again (see screencap below) :

2) Here's the synopsis for the movie that the visitors of the Hallmark website can see on the schedule page :

Help for the Holidays - An unemployed marketing assistant gets a job during the holidays helping a family in planning a charity event and helping to run their Christmas-themed store. When she realizes that the family lacks warmth and closeness due to the stress of owning a business, she sets out to teach them what it really means to be a family at Christmas time. Stars Summer Glau and Eva LaRue.

Where's the elf from Santa's village? This description (probably an early script) sounds boring as hell!

** Facepalm **

riversfeetDate: Tuesday, 18 Dec 2012, 10:37 | Message # 148
I'm guessing they didn't go with the "Elf is sent by Santa to help a family learn the true meaning of Christmas" angle to make the film seem less... I dunno..... "childish".

That sort of thing happens a lot in marketing films.

RNBMDate: Tuesday, 18 Dec 2012, 16:12 | Message # 149
Quote (Fox012)

Quote (chrisdvanne)

I could not say "former husband" since Summer has never been married...to my knowledge

You Knowledge is Flawed... but well we don't talk about private lifes right?!

Your right. Didn't Summer get married in Hawaii, but during her honeymoon her husband died. biggrin
What knowledge do you have? Chris pretty much knows everthing about Summer Glau.

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 18 Dec 2012, 16:25 | Message # 150
Quote (RNBM)
What knowledge do you have? Chris pretty much knows everthing about Summer Glau.

Go on, make my day devil

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Help for the Holidays : Summer Glau's Christmas movie
Search: