menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » TSCC lovers, Canadian serie Continuum is worth a try!
TSCC lovers, Canadian serie Continuum is worth a try!
chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 31 May 2012, 08:47 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators

Here's the pitch of Continuum :

Continuum is a one-hour police drama centered on Kiera Cameron, a regular cop from 65 years in the future who finds herself trapped in present day Vancouver. She is alone, a stranger in a strange land, and has eight of the most ruthless criminals from the future, known as Liber8, loose in the city.

Lucky for Kiera, through the use of her CMR (cellular memory recall), a futuristic liquid chip technology implanted in her brain, she connects with Alec Sadler, a seventeen-year-old tech genius. When Kiera calls and Alec answers, a very unique partnership begins.

Kiera’s first desire is to get "home." But until she figures out a way to do that, she must survive in our time period and use all the resources available to her to track and capture the terrorists before they alter history enough to change the course of the future. After all, what’s the point of going back if the future isn’t the one you left?
Source: Showcase

Here's the trailer :

If the story is set mostly in the present and the show is a cop procedural, we can expect some nice flashbacks (or flashforwards); it will allow to explore the mithology of the show and particularly, Kiera's story.
Kiera is a determined, cold cop when she's on the field and seems almost invincible but as soon she's alone and stops running, she cracks up when thinking about what she left behind her.

Rachel Nichols, who plays Kiera, is beautiful, athletic and has a good track of action/cop roles (G.I. Joe, Alias, Conan) and represents perfectly what Hollywood is searching for : a former model turned actress who can act.
Of course Summer Glau would have been perfect for the role of Kiera Cameron (yes, i noticed the name!) because she can do both tough and emotional scenes like noone.

Our friend Charlie Jane Anders at Io9 talks about a new sci-fi serie on Canadian channel Showcase, she says :
"Continuum is the closest thing you’re going to get to new Sarah Connor Chronicles"

Continuum is our new crack. This show, which just premiered in Canada, is totally insane and mind-bending, and it has many of the same qualities that made us love Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. (Although the dialogue and characterization are a mite clunkier.) If you've been missing action-oriented science fiction that actually dares to explore science-fictional ideas, then you owe it to yourself to check out the first episode of Continuum.

Read full article at Io9.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 21 Jun 2012, 20:13

REGDate: Thursday, 31 May 2012, 13:45 | Message # 2
Group: Friends
it looks ok. i will give it a try.
also it has Tony Amendola aka Master Bra'tac from Stargate SG-1 in it too!

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 21 Jun 2012, 19:07 | Message # 3
Quote (REG)

Sure but he was also Enrique in TSCC s01ep02 :

1x02 Gnothi Seauton HD 1080p

The1RussterDate: Thursday, 21 Jun 2012, 19:25 | Message # 4
Group: Writer
I've been watching Continuum. It got just enough buzz to grab my attention and the first few episodes have been fairly good.

Rachel Nichols is a very good actress, really making you feel her loss of being separated from her family. The supporting actors put in a fairly good performance too, though I find the male cop a little too cookie cutter of a role - no dimension. I recognized the actress that played Dr. Parks on SGU and she does a better job at signifying her mistrust in the new arrival with small looks than the other actors do with dialog. I also recognized Lexa Doig from Andromeda and SG1, but as yet she has hardly uttered any dialog. I can't understand why she is even on the show. So far that role could have gone to any number of unknowns.

Other than the show being focused on a time traveler from the future named Cameron out to stop other time-travelers from that same future, I find very little about it that could make me ever see it as a possible substitute for TSCC. Continuum has more in come with a time travel cop show from the early nineties called Time Trax. I never saw it or heard of it until someone mentioned it. I looked it up and the similarities are very apparent, more so than any with TSCC.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Thursday, 21 Jun 2012, 19:30

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 21 Jun 2012, 20:22 | Message # 5
Quote (The1Russter)
Other than the show being focused on a time traveler from the future named Cameron out to stop other time-travelers from that same future, I find very little about it that could make me ever see it as a possible substitute for TSCC.

You forget Cameron's HUD (in Continuum) that sometimes shows in the serie, similar to Cameron's (in TSCC).

I borrowed the title of this thread from IO9's article (see first message), but i will modify it if it disturbs from the real message, which is "You should give Continuum a try".

The1RussterDate: Thursday, 21 Jun 2012, 23:39 | Message # 6
I'll watch the show, but if it disappears from my screen tomorrow I won't miss it. Because one very simple thing that differentiates TSCC from Continuum, I connected with the characters and the story in TSCC from the beginning and I'm not getting anything from this show. The closest I got to feeling that connection again was with the characters and story of SGU. Continuum is pretty good entertainment but its no TSCC and never will be.

Marcel93Date: Friday, 22 Jun 2012, 11:42 | Message # 7
So from her trailer poor. I hope that once it arrives in Germany

http://www.fanfiction.net
http://www.fanfiktion.de

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 00:48 | Message # 8
There's a very Terminator-esque plot in Continuum episode 5.

One of the characters even said : "It's very Terminator"

LOL.

The1RussterDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 01:32 | Message # 9
I've put together a table that demonstrates how we can get that TSCC feeling from current TV programs.
I'm posting the link here as Continuum is one of the shows. I'll be adding more categories as I get caught up with series.
The table is posted on a test page I have on the Red wiki until it's complete and I find a permanent home for it.

http://www.sarahconnorfans.com/page/Russ+Test+Page

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 11:10 | Message # 10
You make good points Russ!

I haven't watched the other shows you mentioned but i still believe that Continuum shares a lot with TSCC from the start; episode 5 will prove it once again.

REGDate: Monday, 02 Jul 2012, 11:12 | Message # 11
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (REG)

Sure but he was also Enrique in TSCC s01ep02 :

1x02 Gnothi Seauton HD 1080p

yes i know. i mentioned his name since he is well known among Stargate fans. besides that and TSCC i don't know what else he has been in previously.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 06:56 | Message # 12
Interesting interview of Continuum creator Simon Barry : Birth of a TV Series - An Interview with Continuum's Simon Barry

The shows' creator mentions how he got the idea to merge a sci-fi concept with the cop procedural genre in order to fit the requirements of tv business and he also mentions TSCC.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 06:57

The1RussterDate: Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 14:59 | Message # 13
Interesting article. You can tell he's really pleased with what he's accomplished.

---

I don't know why the site doesn't give me the option of editing my older previous post above like wetpaint does, but I got a new home for that table now:

How to get that TSCC feeling from current TV programs

The table provides a comparison between the Terminator/TSCC and three programs currently being broadcast, Continuum, Falling Skies, & Person of Interest.

Message edited by The1Russter - Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 15:01

FermiDate: Sunday, 19 Aug 2012, 16:56 | Message # 14
Quote (The1Russter)

I don't know why the site doesn't give me the option of editing my older previous post above

It is possible to prolong the timeout period during which users can edit and remove their posts, but not remove it entirely. Same timeout period always applies for all usergroups except for the moderators.

You can't stop the signal!

44sunsetsDate: Thursday, 23 Aug 2012, 06:10 | Message # 15
I'd started watching Continuum (before I discovered TSCC and got obsessed with that) and I wasn't impressed, it just didn't catch me at all. Characters and story seemed really bland -- maybe it gets better in later episodes (I've watched the first four so far).

I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

Chola: "We lose everybody we love."

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » TSCC lovers, Canadian serie Continuum is worth a try!
Search: