[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 6«123456»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Dollhouse Official Thread
Dollhouse Official Thread
The1RussterDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 15:09 | Message # 16
Group: Writer
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I only watched the pilot but didn't step in, mostly because i don't like Eliza Dushku, both physically and acting-wise, since i saw her in Buffy; so that i can't speak about the show itself.
What i can say is that a lot of TSCC fans have a bias against DH, not because of the show itself, but because many, including me, blame DH for the cancellation of TSCC at the time; the fact that FOX's President Kevin Reilly kept repeating that "it wasn’t an either/or situation, but that the bet on “Dollhouse” was a bet on its producer Joss Whedon." only add to this (we know he's a professional liar).

And we all know that Kreilley, oops Riley, was lying through his teeth. It was a financial decision pure and simple. Riley didn't want to pay the price WB wanted for TSCC and Dollhouse was being produced in house by FOX. And despite the fact knowing TSCC did better on Monday nights instead of Friday nights as far as ratings went, Riley instead cancelled TSCC keeping Dollhouse which was doing worse for ratings Friday nights than TSCC. TSCC earned far more money oversees and in DVD sales of which FOX never saw a penny of it. All it had was Ad revenue. Fox was banking it could gain more revenue by having a second season of Dollhouse thru overseas sales and DVD sales than it could thru ad revenue if it ordered a season 3 of TSCC. But Riley barely announced a season 2 of Dollhouse when it was also announced S2 would be its last, and that was before S2 had hardly begun.

When both shows were on back-to-back, after a TSCC episode was over, I didn't watch Dollhouse all that closely. The TV stayed on the first half hour while I went online and posted a comment on a now dead website about the episode of TSCC I just watched, but after that I switched over to some other program until the final minutes to see how the Dollhouse story was resolved. Once S2 of TSCC was over, I'd typically watch just the opening, the mid-episode climax and the ending of Dollhouse, watching some other program in between. Dollhouse just didn't grab me. Great premise and cast, but stories were bland. I didn't see a real turn around in the way the stories were written until episode 4 of S2 and then it held my attention. S2 I watched and I loved it. Sad news was, it was over before it had begun.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 19:19 | Message # 17
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
What i can say is that a lot of TSCC fans have a bias against DH, not because of the show itself, but because many, including me, blame DH for the cancellation of TSCC at the time; the fact that FOX's President Kevin Reilly kept repeating that "it wasn’t an either/or situation, but that the bet on “Dollhouse” was a bet on its producer Joss Whedon." only add to this (we know he's a professional liar).

Does this mean that there would have been a guaranteed season 3 if DH got only one season?

Quote (The1Russter)
When both shows were on back-to-back, after a TSCC episode was over, I didn't watch Dollhouse all that closely. The TV stayed on the first half hour while I went online and posted a comment on a now dead website about the episode of TSCC I just watched, but after that I switched over to some other program until the final minutes to see how the Dollhouse story was resolved. Once S2 of TSCC was over, I'd typically watch just the opening, the mid-episode climax and the ending of Dollhouse, watching some other program in between. Dollhouse just didn't grab me. Great premise and cast, but stories were bland. I didn't see a real turn around in the way the stories were written until episode 4 of S2 and then it held my attention. S2 I watched and I loved it. Sad news was, it was over before it had begun.

Granted, s1 was more episodic, imprint of the week style which may have been a bit derailing but is it really a good reason to call the entire show utter crap? Utter crap is Andromeda and Farscape( IMO) which shows are shallow and a directionless mess without any enjoyable character. IMO Dollhouse was far from that especially from the characters POV( there isn't a single character in DH who I hate because they are useless or because they give nothing to the show. Maybe a bit too much Dushku but thats all.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 19:42 | Message # 18
Group: Administrators
Quote (Blazius)
Does this mean that there would have been a guaranteed season 3 if DH got only one season?

Absolutely not, as The1Rustter brillantly said it, it was only a matter of money and TSCC would still cost too much to produce for FOX. The network could simply greenlight a new serie.
But given the way it was presented at the time, many of us have interpreted it that way (season 3 for TSCC if DH cancelled) at the time; i let you imagine the level of angryness when your favorite serie is cancelled.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 19:43

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 21 Apr 2012, 05:39 | Message # 19
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Absolutely not, as The1Rustter brillantly said it, it was only a matter of money and TSCC would still cost too much to produce for FOX. The network could simply greenlight a new serie.
But given the way it was presented at the time, many of us have interpreted it that way (season 3 for TSCC if DH cancelled) at the time;

Glad to hear it! At least I don't have to compromise my TSCC fandom by loving DH smile

Summer didn't have much problem with this either as it seems.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
i let you imagine the level of angryness when your favorite serie is cancelled.

I was in similar situations too much sadly sad I have my share of hatreds, grudges and anger because things aren't going on as I'd like them, seeing great shows and great actors not having the chance to realize even half of their full potential. So I know what this means.

I just didn't know that this cancellation affair tainted so much the relationship of TSCC fans with DH that such a negative campaign was devised against it and that in fact thats the source of its immensely bad reputation. Or I think that is since I haven't found anything else which'd warrant this.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 23 Apr 2012, 23:32 | Message # 20
Topher and Bennett were the cutest!

Source : The Emmay

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012, 22:07 | Message # 21
I finished the show BTW, and as I said earlier, I had a great fun with it. I would have done a huge mistake if I listened to the negativity any further and missed it. It definitely is a part of my favorite shows of all time collection, and I'm very sad once again that it haven't got a chance to truly shine.

Of course its not the fault of the channel this time, they gave it even a second chance. The audience is who didn't give it a chance and I'm very puzzled still why is that exactly. It had everything IMO as the other cult favorites at least but as I see it didn't even got cult following as the other cancelled shows( maybe the rivalry with TSCC is the reason? IDK)

One thing I can see as a possible distracting element is that it doesn't have a conventional structure as other shows. You don't have a clearly defined direction or hero and villain characters, you don't exactly know who to root for especially in earlier episodes. I myself enjoyed this very much and it was very refreshing to me but I can understand if somebody doesn't like it.

Another argument I read is that it had a "controversial premise". Somebody thought that the core idea is boring and didn't give it a chance, somebody else on the other hand was offended by the " brainwashed sex slave" idea. My feelings are the same as above, I loved the unique and refreshing ideas in it but I can understand if somebody has problems with it.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 29 May 2012, 00:36 | Message # 22
Wow, just saw a behind-the-scenes picture with Summer Glau, Fran Kranz and Joss Whedon on the set of Dollhouse.

I send a message to the owner, asking if i could share it with you biggrin

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 13:09 | Message # 23
Australian free-to-air digital channel Eleven will air Dollhouse starting on Monday June 11 at 9:30pm, according to TV tonight

Australian fans were waiting for this to happen since the initial announcement in October 2010 !! Dollhouse also features Australia’s Dichen Lachman (on the right in the photo below)

Supanova Sydney 19-20 June, 2010

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 13:19

REGDate: Saturday, 09 Jun 2012, 11:13 | Message # 24
cool. i'll have to catch it then! though i think i will watch it in hi-def what i have already downloaded. channel 11 doesn't always broadcast in hi-def :/

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

ThierryDate: Wednesday, 13 Jun 2012, 17:46 | Message # 25
Question :
is Dollhouse's soundtrack released ? I mean the original score one ?
I am trying to find it, apparently there is only the soundtrack, but not the original score which exists (or existed...). I guess this has to be released in some times, but that's all I found.... There are some tracks on YouTube which can be converted to an audio format, but I found only 5 tracks...

Has anybody some information ? Thx in advance....

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

REGDate: Saturday, 23 Jun 2012, 08:01 | Message # 26
i just finished watching Dollhouse. i started watching it back when it was first on tv. but i think that channel 9 or 7 or whichever channel it was stopped showing it or i got side tracked. anyway i thought it was a brilliant series. the first season was a bit slow. it started getting really good in season 2. it's a shame that it was cancelled. the concept was brilliant. i think that if it were given the chance to continue it would have been my new favorite show.

Summer playing Bennet on Dollhouse is so wonderful. seeing her as somewhat of an evil genious is very enjoyable to watch smile

i love the Firefly reference that Echo says in Getting Closer:

Hello Carrie at the prom. Off the chart smart, but she could kill you with her brain.
i had to rewind that part just to be sure i heard it right. and i did biggrin

when doctor Saunders shot her in the head i was a little shocked and cried a little at the moments that followed. which is sort of a Serenity reference:

Put a bullet to me. Bullet in the brain pan. Squish!
which i didn't get right away. i had to think about it for a moment.

and i love Summer's look on there. looking innocent but a touch of evil underneath smile
such a homely look that i find very adorable smile

i cried toward the end of the final episode where Dewitt said that the neural bomb has to be activated manually. i knew that Topher was going to die. and shortly after when Topher sacrificed himself to bring the world back to how it was before the dollhouse used people.

i am going to be watching The Cape and Alphas next. i know that The Cape has been cancelled but i still want to see it. yes it is because Summer Glau is in both shows and i am a fan boy of hers. i know that Alphas season 2 is starting in a few weeks so i have to see season 1 so i know what is going on.

Message edited by REG - Saturday, 23 Jun 2012, 08:53

ThierryDate: Saturday, 23 Jun 2012, 08:46 | Message # 27
Interesting comparison between Dollhouse and Serenity, I didn't think about this.

Yes, Summer did an impressive job of acting and agree with REG's opinion.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

REGDate: Saturday, 23 Jun 2012, 08:55 | Message # 28
Quote (Thierry)
Interesting comparison between Dollhouse and Serenity, I didn't think about this.

Yes, Summer did an impressive job of acting and agree with REG's opinion.

i am always on the lookout for Firefly/Serenity references when i watch a show with any of the cast members from Firefly and Serenity.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 15:32 | Message # 29
I uploaded on Youtube a rare video; take a special tour of the Dollhouse set with Eliza Dushku and Fran Kranz for EW.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 27 Jun 2012, 16:33 | Message # 30
Here's another rare Dollhouse video; Joss Whedon talks about his working relationship with FOX in regards to Dollhouse.

Did you notice that Josh Friedman himself walks in the background, at 0:21 of the video? Here's the historic photo showing Joss Whedon and Josh Friedman on the same picture :

Joss Whedon and Josh Friedman

The funniest part of it all is that Josh Friedman, the same man who saw FOX cancel abruptely TSCC then not order to series "Locke&Key" and "The Asset", walks in the background as the very same time Michael Ausiello asks Joss Whedon what are his working relationship with FOX.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 27 Jun 2012, 16:57

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Dollhouse Official Thread
Page 2 of 6«123456»
Search: