[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 3«123»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » 10 Ballerina Turned Actresses
10 Ballerina Turned Actresses
FordStaffDate: Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 09:37 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
A feminine point of view on some discussions would be appreciated. Why don't you try with : michelangelo deciphers Firefly promo pictures

In the thread titled "What would be the best role/genre for Summer?" on page 5-7 there was a discussion of various double standards and bias against women as they have manifested in the media that could also benefit from a feminine point of view. Particularly it would be useful to know if any of the things we discussed are actually noticeable without much thought to females. - http://summer-glau.com/forum/24-103-5

But then she had a couple of surgeries on her ankle that was supposed to go okay but were botched, and was told she could not dance again. sad

This is one of the reasons I could not be a doctor. How on earth can you possibly tell someone they can no longer do what they love particularly when they do it well? Sad indeed.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 23 Oct 2011, 17:06 | Message # 17
Group: Administrators
Diane Kruger

Click on images for bigger size
10 Ballerina Turned Actresses Diane Kruger

Diane Kruger was in National Treasure, Troy, and Inglorious Bastards. She even got into the Royal Ballet in London, but quit because of an injury.

10 Ballerina Turned Actresses Diane Kruger

Thanks MiaC for the tip!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

MiaCDate: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 05:56 | Message # 18
How on earth can you possibly tell someone they can no longer do what they love particularly when they do it well?

And when she had so many prestigious opportunities, like dancing at the Kirov at 15 years old. Shame. Agh, compare that with getting the opportunity with having a supporting role in an blockbuster film at 15.

i have the feeling you're a dancer yourself, am i correct?

Very true. That's why I love this thread (though I have yet to explore more) because it shows that its not horribly difficult to act after you dance, especially in ballet, because you have to take on a character on stage, and that would translate naturally onto words, phrases, and definitely movement.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention Brigitte Bardot! Super influential in the 60-70's. I think she was considered to be the one who popularized bikinis...anyway, she was accepted into the Paris Conservatory of ballet, and then was invited to do a fashion show, where she was noticed, put on the cover of ELLE and discovered by a director.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 10:00 | Message # 19
Quote (MiaC)
That's why I love this thread (though I have yet to explore more) because it shows that its not horribly difficult to act after you dance, especially in ballet, because you have to take on a character on stage, and that would translate naturally onto words, phrases, and definitely movement.

Let me reproduce what i said a while ago in my message "Why i have faith in Summer Glau", because it echoes perfectly what you're saying :
Summer said it herself once : "I’m an entertainer- have been all my life… I want everyone to be pleased with my contribution." : in this case entertainer has to be taken in the sense "an artist". You'll notice she says "all my life", meaning she includes her dancing years in her artistic journey, of course.

Shame on me, how could i have forgotten Brigitte Bardot in my list ?
Not that i am supposed to know all the ballerina turned actresses but i'm French and old enough to know about Brigitte Bardot's career.

MiaCDate: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 00:43 | Message # 20
You are French? Hahaha, your English is impeccable. I can recite a long list of French ballet terms, but can't say I can string together a sentence except for mild pleasantries. Maybe it's just that I'm American, and we pretty much know only one language, and of course, as an extreme stereotype "expect everyone to speak our language." Does Summer speak another language, do you know? I know she's a Texan, but not sure if she can speak another language.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 09:43 | Message # 21
A ballet term, "pas de chat" is quoted by the ballet teacher in TSCC S01Ep07 'The Demon Hand' (See video below).

TSCC S1X7 The Demon Hand Scene 2 on Youtube

"A terminator can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse...but it loves ballet."

These French terms are a remain of the long-gone cultural influence of France. Did you know that French is the official language in fencing competition and also the official language of the Olympic Games (Thanks to Baron Pierre de Coubertin) ?

As for Summer Glau speaking another language, this is doubful since she was homeschooled from grade 3 to 12 so she could learn ballet all the time.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 21:42 | Message # 22
Brigitte Bardot

Click on images for bigger size
10 Ballerina Turned Actresses Brigitte Bardot

Quote (Wikipedia)
In her early life, Bardot was an aspiring ballet dancer.In 1947 Bardot was accepted to the Conservatoire de Paris, and for three years she attended the ballet classes of Russian choreographer Boris Knyazev.
She later modeled for a fashion magazine and began a career as an actress. Her films of the early and mid 1950s were generally lightweight romantic dramas, some historical, in which she was cast as ingénue or siren, often in varying states of undress. Roger Vadim was not content with this light fare. The New Wave of French and Italian art directors and their stars were riding high internationally, and he felt Bardot was being undersold. Looking for something more like an art film to push her as a serious actress, he showcased her in And God Created Woman (1956) with Jean-Louis Trintignant. The film, about an immoral teenager in a respectable small-town setting, was an international success.[

In Bardot's early career, professional photographer Sam Levin's photos contributed to her image of sensuality. One photo shows Brigitte from behind, dressed in a white corset. British photographer Cornel Lucas made iconic images of Bardot in the 1950s and 1960s that have become representative of her public persona. She became one of the best-known sex-symbols of the 1960s.

10 Ballerina Turned Actresses Brigitte Bardot

Thanks MiaC for the tip!

Side note : i have chosen on purpose sexy pictures (though no nudity is involved) to illustrate Brigitte Bardot's sex-symbol status at the time.

Side note 2 : what is the pianist looking at in first picture?

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 22:41 | Message # 23
Quote (michelangelo)
Side note 2 : what is the pianist looking at in first picture?

Hmm. His head position looks like he is either looking at something off-camera to the right or he is looking at her foot. But his eyes are not visible, so he could be looking at her legs or her undergarment.

macuyDate: Sunday, 29 Jul 2012, 20:40 | Message # 24
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Update your list with this new face.

Jessica Findlay Brown from BBC series Downton Abbey as Sybil

From Wikipedia:

Brown Findlay is the daughter of a teacher's assistant and a financial advisor.[1] She trained with the National Youth Ballet and the Associates of the Royal Ballet. Aged 15, she was invited to dance with the Kirov at the Royal Opera House for a summer season.[2]

She attended Furze Platt Senior School in Maidenhead. At the end of her GCSEs, Brown Findlay was accepted to a number of ballet schools but chose to go to the Arts Educational School, because of the A-level courses it provided and its pastoral care. She attended for two years and in her second year had three operations on her ankles, the last of which went wrong and was told that she would never dance again. She said that she always had acting in the back of her mind, but was never really able to go out and try it.[3] After encouragement from an art teacher, she finished her education at Arts Educational School, Tring Park[3] and then onto a Fine Art course at St Martin’s.[1][2] While there, she took up acting classes.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 30 Jul 2012, 07:26 | Message # 25
Thank you for your addition to the list, macuy.

GargarosDate: Tuesday, 31 Jul 2012, 03:32 | Message # 26
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Feel free to comment the names of that list and add yours.

Meg Tilly, graceful, tiny...

http://www.officialmegtilly.com/about/biography/

ThierryDate: Tuesday, 31 Jul 2012, 18:17 | Message # 27
Audrey Hepburn, of course :

Unforgettable as a dancer, as an actress, as a person.
She lived not so far from my home, but I never met her.... Unfortunately.

Audrey Hepburn on Wikipedia

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

Message edited by Thierry - Tuesday, 31 Jul 2012, 18:22

KevinInEnglandDate: Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 16:56 | Message # 28
That's a lovely lineup guys but shame on you all. Have none of you heard of the film 'The Red Shoes'? It came out in 1948. When I first saw it many years later, I honestly thought it was much more recent. It must have been considered very controversial and cutting edge for it's time. Julia Lang was an awesome dancer.
Perhaps this should go at the top of the list? I see similarities to the recent film 'Black Swan'
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3624963328/tt0040725

Message edited by KevinInEngland - Friday, 14 Dec 2012, 16:58

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 15 Aug 2015, 07:48 | Message # 29
Alicia Vikander

Alicia Vikander trained ballet with the Royal Swedish Ballet School from the age of nine in Gothenburg. At the age of 15, Vikander moved from Gothenburg to train at its upper school in Stockholm where she lived on her own, aiming to become a principal dancer. She appeared in several musicals at the Gothenburg Opera, such as The Sound of Music, Les Misérables and would travel around the world for summer courses, training one summer at the School of American Ballet. At the age of 16, she almost left school to fully commit to the television series she worked on with director Tomas Alfredson, realizing her passion for acting. Her dance career was sidelined by injuries in her late teens and she ended up auditioning for drama school but was turned down — twice.

In 2015, she gained public recognition for her starring roles in the films Testament of Youth, Ex Machina and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

EX MACHINA, poster Alicia Vikander THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., l-r: Henry Cavill, Alicia Vikander, 2015. THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., l-r: Luca Calvani, Alicia Vikander, 2015

Charley_DixonDate: Monday, 17 Aug 2015, 01:25 | Message # 30
While we are at it we should also mention that Sonoya Mizuno (who played Kyoko in "Ex Machina") is also a ballerina.

It's interesting that if you exclude a few seconds from the beginning and from the end of the movie, in "Ex Machina" there are only four characters, two of them are females and both played by ballerinas.

Born in Tokyo, Mizuno was raised in Somerset in England. She attended the Royal Ballet School as a child, and graduated from the Royal Ballet School before working for several ballet companies including Semperoper Ballet in Dresden, Ballet Ireland, New English Ballet Theatre and Scottish Ballet. She began modelling aged 20 due to frustrations with her ballet career, and has modelled for Chanel, Alexander McQueen, Saint Laurent and Louis Vuitton. During 2014 Mizuno appeared in Arthur Pita's work of dance theatre The World's Greatest Show at Greenwich Dance and the Royal Opera House.

Mizuno made her movie debut in Alex Garland's critically acclaimed[5] science-fiction thriller Ex Machina, released in the UK in January 2015. She will also be appearing in the dance film High Strung, directed by Michael Damian and scheduled for release in 2015.

EX MACHINA, from left: Sonoya Mizuno, Alicia Vikander, 2015

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » 10 Ballerina Turned Actresses
Page 2 of 3«123»
Search: