[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 33 of 42«1231323334354142»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012, 12:09 | Message # 481
Group: Administrators
Ratings for Alphas season finale episode 2x13 "God's Eye", aired on October 22, 2012.

0.5 in 18-49 demo rating (against 0.4 last week) with 1.172 million viewers (1.163 millions last week)
Season averages: 0.48 in the demo with 1.30 million.

Warehouse 13 season averages: 0.55 in the demo with 1.68 million.

The ratings are getting back to 0.5, while the number of viewers is stable. These numbers are disappointing, considering the buzz around Summer Glau and Bruce Miller interviews and this episode being the season finale, which means fans would get closure on the overarching story, not to mention Summer's Twitter chat.

Most likely, there won't be a third season of Alphas and Syfy will probably renew Warehouse 13 for a final season. Alphas followed a path similar to TSCC : it struggled to get a second season and the ratings went down the second season, leading to a cancellation. These ratings are deconnected from the overall quality of the show (which is good), but it happens Nielsen families are not interested, that's all.
That said, it all depends on numbers, ad revenue vs. production costs, that we ignore.

Of course i'm sorry for Alphas but i'm also sad to see that summer didn't draw an audience.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

JayDate: Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012, 12:50 | Message # 482
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
0.5 in 18-49 demo rating (against 0.4 last week) with 1.172 million viewers (1.163 millions last week)
Season averages: 0.48 in the demo with 1.30 million.

Hopefully they will wait for Alphas season 2 to finished in Europe first and take the ratings into account from over here. Might be a little while yet as Alphaville air of the 30th October.

Hope it does not get canceled, I only started watching it at the beginning of Season 2 and it is really good.

Twitter: @KingFRJay94

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 24 Oct 2012, 13:38 | Message # 483
To Alphas fans wondering if all people are dead in Grand Station in the final scene with Gary seemingly the last man standing; theory is that non-alphas will die while alphas will amp up. Which means none of the Alpha team members will die, except Rosen himself (who was already dying anyway).

Parish has planned everything, including hospital beds for people when they'll wake up after the photic stimulation; see screencaps from ep 12

Parish : People will be scared. They'll need a place to go for the transition.

Alphas screencapsAlphas screencaps

I see a lot of comments online wondering why Gary is the only one standing after the blast; he survived for the same reason Nina can't push him; Gary's brain is wired differently.

robboDate: Thursday, 25 Oct 2012, 02:35 | Message # 484
just recently watched episode 6, and a couple more of alphas. watch the rest of them through the week. i must admit everytime summer glau is in the episode with her daughter. it seems to be a lot more interesting . regarding the plot and the action, alphaville was brilliant summer glau at her best. and zoe was so cute. alphas is getting stronger. smile

AlexDate: Thursday, 25 Oct 2012, 17:47 | Message # 485
Group: Bloggers
Hello all: I have unfortunately been busy with work and have not had a lot of time for anything else these days, including this site. What a wonderful job Chris and the others are doing in keeping us informed!

I saw the last episode of Alphas last night (Oct 24th). For some reason, in Canada, it was delayed a few days. At any rate, I was so impressed that I decided to send a letter to the SyFy network (feedback@syfy.com). I have copied the text of that letter into this post.

I want to congratulate all of you for a wonderful piece of work in this series. It was gritty, complicated, interesting, and suspenseful. David Strathairn has to be one of the greatest living American actors working today and he was just one member of a team of accomplished actors. I did not see a single weak performance in either season amongst the core team or the various supporting and guest actors. And, as a fan of Summer Glau, I have to say that she too was a significant and welcome part of this story. I look forward to the next season and to her continued involvement.

I think that one of the things that really impressed me about this show is how good a job that you did in establishing the characters without compromising the story itself. You struck a really fine balance between showing us the characters and telling us the story of about the tremendous threat that Stanton Parrish represented. By the way, the actor that played him did a great job: subtle, a complete wack job, chillingly evil, and remorseless.

I really look forward to seeing more of this series and I sincerely hope you bring it back for another few seasons at least. In thinking about how you would proceed for the next season, I am wondering if perhaps Sklyar's character was somehow able to moderate the effect of the strobing to make it just a stun effect rather than lethal.

I have a question about historical roots of the conflict. Clearly Parrish is a threat that emerged over time. Surely there must have been other historical figures who were unknown Alphas. Some might say that Tesla, the electrical inventor, was an extraordinary figure and was perhaps an Alpha. If Skylar's offhand remark in Season 1 was really true, about time travel, perhaps there is some future world where Alphas (evil and good in conflict) have become dominant although perhaps in a state of war. Maybe there could be room in the story line for the intrusion of these future Alphas.

And please understand that I do not mean to suggest borrowing heavily from the Terminator canon. I think that HG Wells was one of the first authors to explore time travel and the idea of future chaos (or the dying earth genre as some would say). I think that given the talent and capabilities of your creative team, you could work out a really interesting take on how time travel could integrate into the Alpha series. Skylar represents the genius that would be able to develop technology that could travel to other times and places. For that matter, Robert J. Sawyer explored the concept of quantum computing and parallel universes in his series The Neanderthal Parallax.

All of this is just to say that I think you have a fabulous foundation for a whole collection of really interesting stories and I am sure that we will see fascinating stories and plot lines in the seasons to come. I am really looking forward to it.

Again, my congratulations and my thanks for this wonderful work.

Best Regards,

Alex

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

KevinInEnglandDate: Thursday, 25 Oct 2012, 19:53 | Message # 486
Nice one Alex. I have found that to enjoy a show like this and to warm to it, the viewer need not to be tired, irritable or ill. This is the problem I have a lot of the time but having just slept this afternoon, I watched the episode (When Push Comes to Shove), where we see Young teenage Nina and Tommy grow up becoming aware of her powers.

There is one thing that I can't agree with in your letter Alex but that depends upon how seriously you want to take any time travel scenario. You are right, H.G. Wells first came up with the idea, so whatever TV series uses time travel, is merely copying or making their own versions of it. I did point out in my fanfiction, that time travel is not just jumping from one place to another. It is a NASA mission to Mars a million times more complicated. You need to know where the earth is in relation to the Sun in 1861, where the Sun is in relation to our solar system. Our solar system in relation to our galaxy. Our galaxy in relation to all the galaxy's in the universe, WHO ARE AFTER ALL, TRAVELING THROUGH SPACE AT COUNTLESS MILLIONS OF MILES PER SECOND. There is also the rotation of the planet earth. Where on earth will you end up as it spins? In the sea perhaps? Or even worse, inside a mountain or concrete block under a motorway. Does the traveler arrive instantaneously or does it take time? If so, do they need to be in a bubble that also transports the oxygen within it? and then, oh my god, you've got to deal with gamma, plasma, meteors, qwarks, neutrinos distortions etc.
I honestly do see big problems for Skylar, if you suggest she invent a time travel machine. It does indeed sound like a great idea. I would love to see her go back and visit her ancestors - it was an idea that I have for a story some while ago.

Of course we all know that time travel creates paradoxes, it is easy to spot when you write fanfiction about time jumping back and forth. And finally, we all know that time travel will never be possible, so let's not all kid ourselves HAHA.

Also beware. In real life, knowing what your 2x grandparents, 4x great, 8x great,great, 16x great,great,great were like, can unearth some unpleasant surprises. How do I know? Don't ask but as far as American history is concerned, the past is the past and no-one can be blamed for anything that our ancestors do.

As I said, I seem to be warming to Alphas and I haven't even seen Summer yet. We are way behind you. Perhaps she doesn't do much?

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 25 Oct 2012, 23:21 | Message # 487
For those wondering when Syfy will take a decision in regards Alphas's renewal, Craig Endler, Syfy's vice president, answered on Twitter :

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 26 Oct 2012, 00:04 | Message # 488
Quote (Alex)
I decided to send a letter to the SyFy network

Alphas's actors, such as Malik Yoba (Bill Harken) or Erin Way (Kat), have invited fans to show their love to the series and ask Syfy to renew Alphas for a third season, via Twitter. I never miss an opportunity to do it, even with French fans.
Little did they know that someone like you Alex would be talented enough to write such an brilliant letter to Syfy.

Do i think it will have an impact on Syfy's decision? No. But supporting the show and its actors is the least that fans should do.

The1RussterDate: Saturday, 27 Oct 2012, 04:47 | Message # 489
Group: Writer
Okay. I watched episode 2x13 earlier this evening. Great episode. After this season, Strathairn is my favorite male actor. So much of this season was built around his character. He put in the best performance I've seen in a very long time. Summer put in another good performance as Skylar, but I think her performance in episode 2x12 was better. Gary can be both irritating and funny, and once in a great while he says something in his own way which shows his compassion. I went from wanting to strangle him, laughing at him, then feeling for him.

Unfortunately, I've got a problem with the scenes focused around that old generator. The guy who wrote it either doesn't know anything about generators, didn't do any research, or else ignored the research or what he knew for sake of story. Either way it spoke to pure laziness and incompetence.

Putting aside the fact they only showed one generator, because there should be more to pick up that much of the city, there are three ways to disable that generator before going to the control panels. It's early 20th Century monitoring system. There is nothing on those panels but gauges. It's primitive. All controls are manual. The operator reads the gauges and turns a knob or flip a switch in response. There will even be manual controls for the engine powering the generator. These are three methods They could have used:
1) Cut off the fuel supply. Even if the supply line is underground at some point it has to come out to link to the engine. These engines would have an emergency manual valve to turn off the fuel to the diesel engine. Even your modern generators with solid state electronics will have a manual system for backup.
2) The engine would require cooling. It's size alone would dictate both air and liquid cooling. Just like the engine in your car. a)Plug the air intake. If there isn't a dampener to close, then they need to block the duct. They killed at least four guys to get to that generator. Cut open the sheet metal duct, which would have to be approximately 2ft x 2 ft square or larger and stuff one of the bodies in the opening. b)Stop the flow of the liquid coolant. If the pipe doesn't have an emergency, manual shut off valve, then break or shoot the pipe carrying the liquid coolant. Without proper cooling the engine would seize up.
3) Short the output of the generator. They must have passed all kinds of pieces of metal that would have done the job. Dangerous, but what is one life against millions?

Even while one or two women were pulling breakers, the other(s) could have been doing one of the above. Alternatively, since they suggested another set of breakers elsewhere under Grand Central, they even could have even shown another generator elsewhere under the terminal. It is not uncommon to have two generators ganged together in such a way that if one becomes incapacitated or unable to meet the electrical demand, the second generator will come on automatically. Even in the early twentieth century this was possible without manual intervention, but if not, then Parish could of had people at the other generator ready to turn it on if the primary one went down. The generators wouldn't even have to be in the same location. So it could have been possible to show the women trying to shutdown this one generator, and succeeding, but have the second generator kick in just in time to power the device. That would allowed Rachel not to hear or smell the other generator until it was too late. Thus maintaining the suspense around what the women were doing and providing a surprise victory for Parish just as we think Rosen's people had won.

In SciFi you can invent almost any kind of futuristic tech and make it believable. But when it comes to dealing with real world technology even within a scifi program, they need to do it correctly. I'll give Rosen 5 stars, Gary 4.5 stars, the other central characters 4 stars. The story, right up until the end I would have given it a five, but the generator screw up is going to cost it. 3 stars for the writing. Bill throwing Kat so she could take out the bad guys, I'll give them 5 stars for that scene alone. That was freaking cool!

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Saturday, 27 Oct 2012, 05:56

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 27 Oct 2012, 09:35 | Message # 490
Quote (The1Russter)
Bill throwing Kat so she could take out the bad guys, I'll give them 5 stars for that scene alone. That was freaking cool!

Fasball Special
Read more in the forum.

The1RussterDate: Saturday, 27 Oct 2012, 15:25 | Message # 491
Group: Writer
I can't believe that no one mentioned Lisa Ryder being in Alphas season finale. I've been in love with that woman since Andromeda! She also appeared in Forever Knight in the early to mid 90's. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw her!

We've all been familiar with the 'Alpha of the Week' story throughout both seasons. Nothing wrong with that, as that is how you introduced new bad and good guys. However, this random appearance of Ryder playing a doctor with 'healing powers' has created a new axiom for the show, 'Alpha of Convenience.' when the writer's find themselves in a hole, out will pop an Alpha, never seen before, with just the right 'gift' to get them out of trouble.

Don't get me wrong with my criticism. I love the series. Season 2 has been a dramatic improvement over Season 1 as regards to writing. But in their rush to tighten up the stories and improve the action and pacing, they've forgotten the science and realism of season 1.

In the first post of this page, Chris mentioned the viewing numbers for Monday night. Keep in mind that since September Alphas has been up against tougher competition in the ratings market on Monday nights. When Alphas premiered during the summer, it had almost no competition. Then comes Monday Night Football, and there goes the major demographic for Alphas, the 18 - 49 year old's. When Nielsen first began you only had to be concerned about male viewers but a great many women watch football compared to when Nielsen first began monitoring what we watch on TV. To grab up the rest of the women and men in that demo group, we also have Dancing with the Stars which began in September. You can't expect Alphas to stand up well against those two shows. Even TSCC struggled against those ratings hits, but it fared better than when it was moved to Friday's when that demo group isn't even home.

I would like to see a chart or graph for every night that a new Alphas was on the air this year, comparing its numbers to the other shows.

If Syfy goes just by numbers without taking into account the impact of the competition, then I doubt we will have a season 3. But the show was putting on good numbers before the start of the regular broadcast season and the start of football. If Syfy takes a lesson from this, it should be to show new programs from June to August (start of September) or else they will get killed in ratings as soon as the other two begin.

I'm hoping for a season 3. I think its a worthwhile show to watch. It would be a shame if they let poor numbers as result of bad scheduling on their part kill what has been a very good show. We'll just have to wait and see...and hope!

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

KevinInEnglandDate: Saturday, 27 Oct 2012, 16:37 | Message # 492
"Stuff one of the bodies in the opening" - Oh dear that made me laugh.

Yeah, your possible and likely scenario is quite solid. Of course you know better than me but what you say makes sense.

The same went for my computerised telex exchange in London, designed by Belarussians but overseen by an ex manager of communications for ITT. He knew that something like that would need a 24-hour UPS backup for the exchange, just in case the electricity was cut off, or a spike ran down the line. (In this scenario UPS is not a courier, it stands for Uninterrupted Power Supply).

So, the Alphas were always faced with backup power supplies to disable. (I've not seen the episode yet but I will).

I love the Summer Christmas Elf pictures, just in case anyone on this board hasn't. I'm registered with San Antonio Lite and was able to make a posting. I guess one poster might have a point but I thought he would have supported Summer if he was a San Antonian himself. When I see her in the final episodes of Alphas I'll make up my own mind to see if what he says is true.

robboDate: Saturday, 27 Oct 2012, 23:50 | Message # 493
alphas last two episodes tonight. im gonna watch kept them especially because summer glau is in them. but must admit really impressed with alphas season two. much stronger than season one. getting better with each episode. i think i will be really gutted if it doesnt get renewed. scfy have really got themselves a good solid show. surely they are not gonna do a fox and get there reputation. really deserves another season to show it can improve even further.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 29 Oct 2012, 11:06 | Message # 494
The best way to get a third season of Alphas is to show Syfy channel that they can make money with the serie.

Which means buying the season one DVD or buying episodes online at Amazon Instant Video for example.

Alphas season finale is currently 68th on the sales chart.

Side note : Amazon is always giving out Video credit which can be used for Alphas; example:
Amazon Instant Video: PlayStation 3 $5 Credit Offer

Thanks to @The1stMJC for the useful informations and link.

KevinInEnglandDate: Monday, 29 Oct 2012, 13:00 | Message # 495
In the UK, I've just seen the episode where everybody hallucinates, including Gary, who sees his girlfriend emanate from smoke.
For a sci-fi, I thought this episode was quite good and it is indeed possible to warm to the series. There are some nice people in it.
It seems likely that Skylar is going to receive a phone call next week (in the UK episode)

I've just noticed that the name Skylar and Skyler could be male/female in their spelling. Or is this just another example of using a name for multi-sex? (Oops, that sounds iffy!).

In TSCC, Skyler Gisondo played Kyle @ age 8 in 1_9 What He Beheld

Chris/Fermi etc. It appears that HTML have priorities when placed either side of text. A bit like BEDMAS in computing.

Message edited by KevinInEngland - Monday, 29 Oct 2012, 13:04

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Page 33 of 42«1231323334354142»
Search: