menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 18 Sep 2012, 19:14 | Message # 391
Group: Administrators
Promo for Alphas 2x09 "The Devil Will Drag You Under"

Hicks turns defector and begins working for Parish, leaving the team to wonder if he's really traded sides.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

robboDate: Tuesday, 18 Sep 2012, 22:00 | Message # 392
Group: Friends
really looking forward to tuesday night in the uk alphas back on sorry next tuesday on our screens wake up call 1/13 really great to get some sc-fi back on our screens its on 5,star

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 09:07 | Message # 393
Ratings for Alphas episode 2x08 'Falling', aired on September 17, 2012.

0.4 demo rating (-20% change) with 1.31 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 0.50 in the demo with 1.40 million.

The 18-49 adult demo, key for advertisers, went down 1 tenth of a point (from 0.5 to 0.4) while the number of viewers was stable (at a low mark though).

Warehouse 13 registered a 0.4 demo and 1.32 million viewers, which is a series low and a great loss in viewers.

Too bad the numbers for Summer Glau's episode didn't repeat. At this point, it doesn't look good for Alphas's renewal, especially when all the fall shows will return on broadcast networks.
Alphas airs THREE times on Monday night; at 8pm (Nielsen ratings), then an encore at 10pm, then at 12pm, which leads to a split in viewers. We don't have the numbers for the 10pm and 12pm showing and we don't even know if Syfy will take them in account for a renewal's decision. It's very confusing.

There's only 5 episodes left and the story will dive deeper into the main story arc, leading to the final confrontation between Rosen and Parish; you'll notice this coincides with Skylar's return in the two finals episodes.
In the current (and upcoming) episodes, Alphas writers are bringing together all the elements of the puzzle leading to the finale; it would be a shame for the viewers not to watch the episodes as they will have all their questions on Parish evil plan answered very soon.

My takes on the format of an episode :
An episode has two or three stories going on at the same time; firstly the "Alphas of the Week" (AOTW) investigation (as i said last year, Alphas creator Zak Pen saying that "Alphas won't be a AOTW serie" is complete BS), secondly a B-plot centered on one character (in this week episode it was Cameron trying to bond with his son, and also Rachel rambling about the diner with her parents), and finally pieces on the overarching story on Parish/Red Flag (Rosen dealing with the mole, her daughter Dani in this case).
You'll notice that the overarching story is not necessarily present in all episodes; it came back strongly since Summer Glau's episode.
My point is that tv shows like The Event, Flashforward, Alcatraz, Terra Nova or Alphas have tried every possible combination to find the right balance between procedural and serialized components but none of them has found the winning mix.

My opinion is that a story can be as good as you want, and the buiding of an episode or season can be as good as you want, if you fail to create engaging characters, your serie has little chance to captivate the viewers.

Because a story might be strong on the paper but it needs to be impersonated by actors, who are the visual reference for the show. And Alphas clearly fails in that department. A lot of people praise David Strathairn (Dr Rosen) or Ryan Cartwright (Gary) acting performance on the show but i doubt many wants to identify with them. More, the romances/love stories created by Alphas writers, Cameron/Nina in first season or Cameron/Dani or Rachel/tac guy in the second, didn't captivate the audience, to say the least, despite the additional "sex scenes".

If someone knows an easy-on-the-eye, actor/actress who has proven in the past that he/she can play an engaging character and captivate an audience, please send his/her name to Alphas writers.

Oh wait, such actor already exist in Alphas...she's named Skylar Adams and is played by the beautiful and talented Summer Glau (that doesn't necessarily mean i want Summer to be a regular on the show if it gets a third season btw).

That more people, including tv/movie producers, didn't came to the same conclusion as me, never fails to surprise me. Or maybe it's just me fantasizing in a fansite. But then i remember Josh Friedman or Joss Whedon praising her work and it leaves me in a state of lack of understanding.

REGDate: Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 10:33 | Message # 394
that is a bit disconcerting. true that some of the episodes have been weak. but as you say i don't think it looks good for the future of the show. i am really into it too. i think the main failure of Alphas is that it isn't original. there have been two shows that i know of that have had characters with power or abilities. The 4400 and Heroes.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

KevinInEnglandDate: Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 17:27 | Message # 395
I watched an episode of 4400 yesterday when the lead guy enters another reality and meets a woman. He marries her and they have a good life, living with his son. I was quite interested in that episode but I find it difficult to engender any interest in other episodes. I watched it when SG was in it but found her relationship with that guy who was actually old enough to be her father quite creepy. Her psychological problem, making the 60s restaurant people dance was very good.
If Alphas has a similar format to 4400, then it is old hat and I will lose interest when it hits our screens in the UK. I will give it a go and see what happens.
I think I'd much rather watch something else. American governments getting involved in affairs has been flogged to death IMO.
--
I myself could think up some good ideas for completely and unique stories to be made and I'm sure people on this site could too. I had a couple of ideas for Summer in uniquely new series which would actually cater to what she would like to act in.
What is wrong in America?
In the UK, I read imported comics about Superman and the fantastic four, Spiderman and the X-Men when I was at school, so I would have been aged 11-16 in 1966-1971.
Perhaps my ideas would be preferred by women, but to see Summer traveling back in time to visit her grandparents 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 years ago to see how they fared and the lives they lived. Child mortality was rife 200 years ago. History & Summer would be a good story IMO. Where her parents came from etc. Perhaps her greatx4 grandmother ran a house or ill repute, or perhaps her grx5 grandfather was an army general. The story could be very good, put in the hands of good writers, directors, producers, historians etc etc.
The Avengers etc etc etc is definitely not for me. Sorry guys.
I'm looking forward to seeing the elfy-Sum prancing around in green tights. It could be quite heartwarming. (From what I have gleaned so far).

Message edited by KevinInScotland - Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 19:27

robboDate: Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 21:45 | Message # 396
sad to hear about the ratings fallen for alphas i thought it might of taken of a little bit its a shame not even seen season two yet and it doesnt look to good for a alphas renewal still stand by my ground that skylar adams should be a regular in this show surely they must no the ratings increase when she appears in her episodes ,catch and release, in season,1 and also ,alphaville, and also they should be good ratings for episode ,12,13, at the end maybe who knows these two might decide alphas fate sad

KevinInEnglandDate: Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 23:01 | Message # 397
Robbo, that's a great compliment for Summer.
I would rather a TV series were saving Summer, not putting her in the last 2 episodes to try and save the show.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 21 Sep 2012, 09:30 | Message # 398
Kandyse McClure, who played Dualla in Battlestar Galactica, guest stars in next Monday episode of Alphas, 2x09 "The Devil Will Drag You Under"

Kandyse McClure (Battlestar Galactica) Guest-Stars on Syfy's Alphas

Via press release :
Kandyse McClure plays Agnes, an attractive but dangerous Alpha with the ability to see into people’s minds, but her ability comes with a painfully high cost. In Monday’s episode, The Devil Will Drag You Under,Agnes dives into Hicks’ (Warren Christie) mind to uncover the real motive behind his sudden defection. Meanwhile, Dr. Rosen (David Strathairn) and his team uncover Stanton Parish’s (recurring guest-star John Pyper-Ferguson) growing plot to cause a massive, deadly blackout. Thwarting that threat will come at a high personal cost no one is prepared to pay.

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 21 Sep 2012, 12:14 | Message # 399
Quote (KevinInScotland)
I'm looking forward to seeing the elfy-Sum prancing around in green tights. It could be quite heartwarming.

It's funny that (but maybe it's on purpose) you use the word "prancing" because fans mentioned that Summer character's name 'Prancer' could be a hint that the character is a dancer. Given the context, a Christmas movie, i'd say that it's unlikely...but who knows.

See my own interpretation in the forum.

KevinInEnglandDate: Friday, 21 Sep 2012, 15:58 | Message # 400
OMG, yes HAHA. I never thought of that and now I realise that Christine is rather like Christmas.

Have a look at the reference to the year 1968 in this link (plus the meaning of the name, which is now realise is pretty obvious)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_%28name%29

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 18:30 | Message # 401
Season 2 episode 9 “The Devil Will Drag You Under” is a highly ambitious episode of television, where there is several layers that we discover one after the other.
Of course we knew Hicks was not a traitor but i didn't see Nina's involvement to stop Bill :-)

Once again, Alphas proves it's one of the best tv show at the moment, i wish more people watch it

I would love for Kandyse McClure, who played Agnes the Alpha of the week, to appear again in #Alphas, she was great and her character seem to contain secrets.

Side note : it seems that the writers include an allusion to Skylar in every episode; this time it's Gary using the phone Skylar gave him :

I'm using the phone that skylar gave me to access the power company computers.

Gary using the phone Skylar gave him - Alphas

KevinInEnglandDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 18:51 | Message # 402
I've seen tweets and your appraisals Chris. It sounds quite interesting and for me I will have to watch it at least twice to sink in. The first episode starts tonight at 10pm after TSCC, The Demon Hand, on 5* channel.
Did you all see
http://multipleverses.com/2012....ow-open
Please vote.

Suburgatory, which has a Firefly actor in it, is also on E4 tonight @ 9.30pm

Then the other treat; Continuum - Syfy Thu 10:00pm

& Nikita Fri 9:00pm Sky Living, for those that like her. It's quite good actually, I watch all of them and play the wordgame with a TSCC fan.

I always check out Fashion Police just in case they run down one of our favourite actors/actresses.

Message edited by KevinInScotland - Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 19:02

robboDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 21:37 | Message # 403
5star channel will be great tonight tscc, and alphas especially back on our screens so really looking forward to tonight and thursday with the exciting continuum cant wait watched maggie q,out of nikita the other night in a film called priest never seen nikita like just voted for terminator franchise kevin happy

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 22:07 | Message # 404
Lucky you, Kevin and robbo, TSCC and Alphas in the same night!

I'm sorry about the spoilers btw, but this site follows the US schedule. I recommand you watch all episodes of Alphas; it may be a bit procedural at the begining but the pace increase starting with Summer Glau's episode and from there the show fully embraces the overarching story, i.e. the battle between Parish and Rosen.

KevinInEnglandDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 22:10 | Message # 405
Hiya Robbo
I had the shock of my life a few months ago. My daughter told me that she was going to a Star Trek convention. She will be wearing the Jean Luc Picard uniform. I was astounded.

I have just seen it advertised on TV, if anybody is interested;

October 19th - 21st Excel London

Log on to www.cbsaction.co.uk

3 day event

It is advertised on TV this very moment CBS channel

I see Janaway is included, as well as the original Capt Kirk.

Message edited by KevinInScotland - Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 22:12

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Search: