menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
RNBMDate: Wednesday, 22 Aug 2012, 19:52 | Message # 331
Group: Friends
I still think the show is missing some sexual tension. The first eposide 2.01 had Cameron and Danielle Rosen together, and I thought that was going to continue. Even the Nina, Rachel kiss in the bar could have been a direction for further sexual tension, but the writers don’t seem to want to expand the story line in this area.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 23 Aug 2012, 00:17 | Message # 332
Group: Administrators
Alphas and Warehouse 13 ratings for the episodes that aired on August 20, 2012.
Alphas 2.05 'Gaslight'

Alphas : 0.5 in adult 18-49 demo(+25% change) and 1.376 millions viewers (+39% change)
WH 13 : 0.6 in adult 18-49 demo and 1.866 millions viewers

WH13 demo is stable but the show got + 0.2 millions viewers : this is probably renewal numbers.

Syfy abruptly moved Alphas to a new timeslot (8 p.m. E) and it still did better in the 18-49 demo than last week, so that’s encouraging. We don't have the numbers for the 10pm re-run but i hope the combined numbers should be enough for a renewal.

Alphas needs another boost in viewers. Fans shouldn’t give up on it; i expect next week numbers to go up.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 23 Aug 2012, 00:31

AlexDate: Thursday, 23 Aug 2012, 00:33 | Message # 333
Group: Bloggers
Quote (RNBM)
I still think the show is missing some sexual tension. The first eposide 2.01 had Cameron and Danielle Rosen together, and I thought that was going to continue. Even the Nina, Rachel kiss in the bar could have been a direction for further sexual tension, but the writers don’t seem to want to expand the story line in this area.

It is not clear to me how this would advance the plot. I am missing something here. To me, this would be like me saying that there aren't enough bowls of fruit in the scenes (of course we almost saw Gary's fruit but that is not quite what I had in mind). Actually, seeing Gary's fruit could have been tense for all concerned. But back to the requirement for more bowls of fruit, even if this happened, all that I would see would be more bowls of fruit. As such, they wouldn't advance the plot in any way and there is nothing inherently dangerous or evil about a bowl of fruit. Of course I may have lived a sheltered life and perhaps I am unaware of what dangers lurk in the hearts of peaches.

I am just having fun here, and certainly not at your expense. In this train of thought though, I remember how annoying I found the film The Watchmen for the same reason. They kept a lot of the background from the graphic novel and while these background items worked in the comic, they served no purpose at all in the film. I am thinking of the flying elephant balloons. They would appear periodically but they were completely unnecessary.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

RNBMDate: Thursday, 23 Aug 2012, 15:45 | Message # 334
For some reason I feel like going to the cafeteria and grabbing a fruit salad. surprised What I'm trying convey is that love is a powerful emotion. Looking back at our favorite series and movies in TSCC, The Sarah/John, John/Cameron, even John/Derek, and Derek/Jesse pairings all brought about greater emotional scenes through-out the series. You can look at Movies like Star Wars, Luke/Leia, Luke/Darth Vader, Anakin/Padme. Looking at Firefly, Serenity the River/Simon, and Mel/Inara and even Simon/Kaylee and Wash/Zoe relationships all help intensify the scenes and the interactions between the characters. This is what I see missing in Alphas.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 23 Aug 2012, 16:04 | Message # 335
Quote (RNBM)
I still think the show is missing some sexual tension.

Agree with that!
Alphas writers tried to build that sexual tension in season one (Hicks and Nina shipping) and are trying to build more sexual tension (and show graphic sex scenes) in season two with the new Hicks/Danny (Rosen's daughter) shipping and the building of a relationship between Rachel and the new tactical guy.

Unfortunately, these shippings or sex scenes, Danny/Hicks in the pilot or Rachel/ Nina hot kiss, have not the intensity of the John/Cameron shipping in TSCC for example. As The1Russter says, people are watching a show for the characters and their interactions, even in a sci-fi show.

AlexDate: Friday, 24 Aug 2012, 04:41 | Message # 336
Quote (RNBM)
For some reason I feel like going to the cafeteria and grabbing a fruit salad. surprised What I'm trying convey is that love is a powerful emotion. Looking back at our favorite series and movies in TSCC, The Sarah/John, John/Cameron, even John/Derek, and Derek/Jesse pairings all brought about greater emotional scenes through-out the series. You can look at Movies like Star Wars, Luke/Leia, Luke/Darth Vader, Anakin/Padme. Looking at Firefly, Serenity the River/Simon, and Mel/Inara and even Simon/Kaylee and Wash/Zoe relationships all help intensify the scenes and the interactions between the characters. This is what I see missing in Alphas.

True enough - love is very powerful. So perhaps what we are seeing in Alphas is a lack of heart, of emotional depth. It is difficult to bond with the characters or feel something for them. We are only presented with the facts of the case and we do not get to see what motivates people. So if there were more sexual tension then I suppose audiences would feel more involved with the characters. I think I see what you are getting at. Perhaps they need a smaller cast and in turn, the cast needs to have stronger relationships.

For me, in all honesty, it is one of the things about Summer, or rather her appeal, that I find perplexing. She is a really good actress and she can be that troubled, upset person in a relationship but at the same time, she is completely believable as a rampaging assassin or a killer cyborg. But she is at her best when she plays both.

When she played the wife in Deadly Honeymoon, I thought she was good but not great. And as Cameron, she was at her best when, as you say, the sexual tension was worked into the story or at least there were quite emotional scenes that Friedman used to reveal major plot points such as John's development in the future and so on. On the other hand, some of the fight scenes were, no pun intended, mechanical.

AlexDate: Friday, 24 Aug 2012, 04:50 | Message # 337
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (RNBM)
I still think the show is missing some sexual tension.

Agree with that!
Alphas writers tried to build that sexual tension in season one (Hicks and Nina shipping) and are trying to build more sexual tension (and show graphic sex scenes) in season two with the new Hicks/Danny (Rosen's daughter) shipping and the building of a relationship between Rachel and the new tactical guy.

Unfortunately, these shippings or sex scenes, Danny/Hicks in the pilot or Rachel/ Nina hot kiss, have not the intensity of the John/Cameron shipping in TSCC for example. As The1Russter says, people are watching a show for the characters and their interactions, even in a sci-fi show.

I am still puzzling over this. Maybe what is happening is that the writers and producers are spending too much effort introducing the perilous Alpha or Alphas of the week and we get thrown into the conflict very quickly with not enough time to savour or appreciate characters. Perhaps if there were less of the sharp distinction between good and evil that we have now and more ambiguity, jealousy, and all the other stuff that is part of a relationship this would be a more appealing show.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 24 Aug 2012, 12:09 | Message # 338
Quote (Alex)
Perhaps if there were less of the sharp distinction between good and evil that we have now and more ambiguity, jealousy, and all the other stuff that is part of a relationship this would be a more appealing show.

Funny thing is that i just read an article : Alphas Season 2: The Blurry Line Between Good and Evil at tvequals

Just like in Continuum, the writers are putting a lot of efforts into blurring the lines between who is good and who is evil. A lot of shows like to play this ambiguity; in both Alphas and Continuum, there's the terrorists group, the 'good' cops and the all mighty company/government.

While the line between good and evil can be blurry, and Rosen's motives are still uncertain, i would not put on the same level of evilness Rosen and the others (government and Red Flag).

The only 100% good side i see here is Skylar Adams and her daughter Zoe; how could Summer Glau and such a cute child (see photo) below) be on the wrong side?

Skylar Adams's daughter Zoe in Alphas

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 24 Aug 2012, 12:10

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 25 Aug 2012, 17:19 | Message # 339
Posted this message in a few Warehouse 13 sites.

Alphas and Warehouse 13's fate are linked

Now that Alphas is Warehouse 13 new lead-in for the Monday night on Syfy, it's important that *both* shows performs strong ratings wise.

Last week, which was the first showing of Alphas in its new 8pm timeslot, Alphas registered a ratings bump both in 18-49 demo and number of viewers while WH13 demo was stable at 0.6 but got 0.25 millions more viewers.

Syfy abruptly moved Alphas to a new timeslot (8 p.m. E) and it still did better in the 18-49 demo than last week, so that’s encouraging. Alphas needs a boost in total viewers though. I expect next week numbers to go up with the return of fan favorite Summer Glau as Skylar Adams in episode '2.06 'Alphasville'.

My point is that Warehouse 13 fans should be supportive of Alphas if they want to maintain good ratings and insure the renewal for a fifth season.
It's also important to watch the 8pm showing for Alphas, and 9pm showing for WH13, and not the late re-run because the ratings are based on the *first* showings.

AlexDate: Saturday, 25 Aug 2012, 18:20 | Message # 340
It is interesting that they adopted the new time slot shortly before Summer's episode. I remember last year on iTunes that just after Summer's episode Catch and Release was broadcast, the number of downloads of that episode was the highest. It would be good to see an increase in viewership for both series after her episode.

Methinks Ms.Glau is going to be very busy in the next year or two.

Message edited by Alex - Saturday, 25 Aug 2012, 18:22

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 26 Aug 2012, 01:34 | Message # 341
Quote (Alex)
Maybe what is happening is that the writers and producers are spending too much effort introducing the perilous Alpha or Alphas of the week and we get thrown into the conflict very quickly with not enough time to savour or appreciate characters.

You know very well that in every movie or tv show, the scenes featuring character development are the first to be cut in the editing room, in favor of the action and A-plot scenes.
Azita Guanizada said exactly that when she mentioned in the full-lenght version her recent podcast that a scene where she explained her reaction AFTER the kiss scene with Nina was cut or when she said that a character-driven scene with new member Kat was cut.

The only exception to that rule that i know off, is TSCC. Every scene, even if few word were spoken, was so meaningfull , like this scene :

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 26 Aug 2012, 01:35

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012, 01:01 | Message # 342
Little victory for Summer Glau fans cool

@The1stMJC send me a message via Twitter one week ago, inwhich he suggested a hashtag that i could use on Twitter to promote the return of Summer Glau as Skylar Adams in Alphas episode 6 : given that Games of Thrones uses the tagline "Winter is Coming", he suggested "Summer is Coming" for Alphas. I answered @The1stMJC it was a good idea and created a Twitter account specifically for that purpose, Skylar_Alphas.

Alphas official Twitter account suggested their own hashtag today, #AlphasHasSummerGlau but when they were mentioned the hashtag i was using via Skylar_Alphas, they aknowledged it was a better one and posted that fans should use #SummerIsComing in their tweets instead.

Even Syfy's boss like that hashtag : Syfy official Twitter account

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012, 10:55

robboDate: Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012, 01:21 | Message # 343
sad :(hi everybody bare with me im new to this not very computer literate trying to find out when alphas is on in the uk it would be great if you could let me no thanks robbo

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012, 01:42 | Message # 344
For all UK fans trying to find out when alphas is on in the UK, i suggest you read these two articles at TVwise:

Syfy UK Acquires Pay TV Rights To Alphas Season 1

Exclusive: Channel 5 Closes Deal To Acquire UK Rights To Alphas Season 2

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 28 Aug 2012, 01:47 | Message # 345
Hi robbo, welcome to the Summer Glau Wiki; i've answered your question in the thread dedicated to Alphas in the forum. I hope you find it useful smile

This thread will be deleted because it's redundant with the other thread; i invite you and the other members to continue this discussion in the correct thread, thanks.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Search: