menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 07 Aug 2012, 17:08 | Message # 301
Group: Administrators
Quote Alex
Nina is not in this episode.

Alphas has an ensemble cast; the important thing is that each have a fair share of screen time.

By chance, next episode is centered on Nina :

Promo for Alphas 2x04 "When Push Comes to Shove"

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 08 Aug 2012, 08:35 | Message # 302
Gary was without a doubt the breaking out character in the first season of Alphas.

I see regularly comments from fans on the net, claiming that Gary is their favorite character. As for me, i don't like the path that Gary is following this season; whereas he was edgy but funny last year he has become violent, arrogant and unbearable imo. I don't know if the new showrunner wanted to emphasize a fans favorite character to the point of making a caricature of him or if it fits in the general scheme of the darker tones this eason but it doesn't look right to me.

Not only Gary's reactions are overdone but seing two of three members of the team desesperately trying to calm him down is a waste of screen time and lines, that could be used more wisely imo.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 09 Aug 2012, 17:06

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 09 Aug 2012, 15:13 | Message # 303
New article on Alphas at examiner.com, including promo photos for the next four episodes.

Summer's guest appearance is mentioned :

Fans should also expect to see Summer Glau again on this series. She is featured in at least one of the released photos. Fans are buzzing about this series on social media. One fan said the following on Twitter recently:

#Alphas just got even more awesome by having Summer Glau as the guest star!

I wonder which dedicated fan wrote that comment on Summer cool
Check the answer here.

AlexDate: Thursday, 09 Aug 2012, 16:50 | Message # 304
Group: Bloggers
One of my concerns about Gary is that he could slip from being an interesting character study of an autistic person to a parody played for effect. If that happens, I worry that we will lose the central focus of this story (the Alpha team trying to combat Stantan Parish and surviving against the hostile governent forces arrayed against it).

I understand that each character has to deal with much greater stress this season but since Gary stands so far apart, he doesn't need to do much to show that he is highly stressed too.

We'll see.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

riversfeetDate: Thursday, 09 Aug 2012, 18:34 | Message # 305
Group: Friends
It seems Summer's character has changed her hairstyle.... to something Summer usually sports. I wonder if that was a decision on the creators' part, or if Summer didn't like having her hair like that.

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 10 Aug 2012, 00:48 | Message # 306
Quote (riversfeet)
It seems Summer's character has changed her hairstyle.... to something Summer usually sports. I wonder if that was a decision on the creators' part, or if Summer didn't like having her hair like that.

100% the decision of the showrunner!

Here's a photo of Dr Rosen in the pilot, filmed long before the serie was picked up by Syfy, with beard :

And now a photo of Dr Rosen during season one episodes (after the pilot), without beard :

And now a photo in the first episode of season two, after the showrunner was replaced, with beard again :

Find below excerps of what new Alphas showrunner Bruce Miller said about his role as a showrunner at the Los Angeles Times :

[...]
We went away and had three or four days of meetings where we sat and talked about character. You talk about the character of, say, Doctor Rosen (David Strathairn). What you like about him, what you don’t like about him. What you’d love to see him do, what are you favorite things he’s done this year. You get down to what kind of food do you think he likes, and those kinds of things.
[...]
As show runner, you are responsible for the entire show. Even though it’s a group effort, every script is a group effort, you are responsible for guaranteeing the quality of everything that comes out. So from script to every casting choice, to every costume choice, to every hair choice to every makeup choice and every effect.

Source : ''Alphas'' Bruce Miller on the challenges of running a TV show' at http://www.latimes.com/enterta....7.story

Nothing is random in a scripted tv show and the showrunner is responsible for everything.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 10 Aug 2012, 00:58

AlexDate: Friday, 10 Aug 2012, 03:06 | Message # 307
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Nothing is random in a scripted tv show and the showrunner is responsible for everything.

That is such an important point! Whenever the camera moves to suddenly focus on a manhole cover during a chase, that is a sure indication that something is going to happen that involves that manhole cover. The film maker is telling us this loud and clear. A really good program has no wasted scenes nor misspent actions. Everything we see serves to tell the story in some way.

Rosen's beard in the first episode suggested to me that he was tired, that his mental state of mind was as dishevelled as his appearance. He is still, even three episodes in, stumbling around, his voice rather pinched and in how he carries himself, he is uncertain and vague. He is almost a broken man who is struggling with everything he has to keep the team together and to get back to where he was before the last season ended.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Sunday, 12 Aug 2012, 01:42

The1RussterDate: Friday, 10 Aug 2012, 23:17 | Message # 308
Group: Writer
Finally got around to watching Alphas today. Episode 1 was very good. The entire team has been thru their own form of hell for the last eight months and it will be hard for them to reconnect as that team while each of them deals with the demons they've picked up in that time. Plan on watching episodes 2 & 3 either later tonight or over the weekend.

EDIT: Just finished watching episode 2. Nina spinning out of control feels a bit weird. It has to be more than her and Hicks splitting up over her using her abilities on him, and more than the fact he's now seeing Danni, Rosen's daughter. What was interesting was seeing Rosen trying to find his feet again and how he handled Bill's feelings. What was odd was that bill said that Rosen's public exposure of the Alphas was done without letting the team know, but i recall season 1 conclusion as if the team were in the know. AS for Gary it feels like he is acting out because his entire world was thrown for a loop which is made all the more difficult because of his autism. I like it when Bill and Gary are in a scene together. They write some good stuff for them.

EDIT2: Just finished Episode 3: Awesome! Glad to see Gary making some more steps toward independence. Is it me or was there some connection between Gary's mom and Dr. Rosen? I like the new Alpha they brought into this episode. That girl is a real hoot. Looks like Bill might be turning into an adrenalin junky, and poor Rachel makes a connection with a guy only to get the ole, 'we work together' thing. Perhaps thats why Nina and Hicks didn't work out. Looking forward to more episodes!

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Saturday, 11 Aug 2012, 01:38

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 11 Aug 2012, 01:06 | Message # 309
Can you get the Terminator 2 reference in this preview for Alphas next episode?

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 12 Aug 2012, 23:57 | Message # 310
Alphas - SciFi and TV Talk: Azita Ghanizada Interview

Azita Ghanizada mentions Summer Glau several times in this interview.

It is back to nature on this beautiful sunny spring day in May for Alphas’ Azita Ghanizada and the rest of the show’s cast and crew. They are at a campground in suburban Ontario to do some location filming for the season two story Alphaville. In one of the scenes being shot today, the actress’ character of Rachel Pirzad and her teammates are being given a tour of a commune where a group of Alphas, included Skylar Adams, played by returning guest-star Summer Glau, are living away from prying eyes. Spending some time off the beaten path seems to be appealing to Rachel as well as Ghanizada.

[...]

“Then, of course, we’re lucky to have Summer Glau back with us again. The episode she was in last year [Catch and Release] was more about her character’s relationship with Nina, so it’ll be fun to play with Summer this time around. Laura and I have to play with the boys all the time, so I’m very pro-Alpha female. There are some bad Alpha gals out there, so I’m thrilled to have Erin here as well as Summer.”

Read full article : SciFi and TV Talk

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 15 Aug 2012, 16:09

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 13 Aug 2012, 21:42 | Message # 311
New episode of Alphas on Syfy tonight, don't miss it!

And if my prayers are not convincing enough, this tweet from Laura Mennell, currently playing Nina Theroux on Syfy's Alphas, should wink

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 13 Aug 2012, 21:42

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 13 Aug 2012, 22:16 | Message # 312
Just a little gift for all all fans of Alphas and of the beautiful Laura Mennel, aka Nina Theroux on Alphas.

HQ photos (2000x3000 px) of Laura taken at Entertainment Weekly's Comic-Con 2012 Celebration, held at the Hard Rock Hotel Float Lounge on July 14th 2012. (Photo Credit: Byron Purvis)

Laura Mennell at Entertainment Weekly's Comic-Con 2012 CelebrationLaura Mennell at Entertainment Weekly's Comic-Con 2012 CelebrationLaura Mennell at Entertainment Weekly's Comic-Con 2012 Celebration

Feel free to grab these pictures (for non commercial use); crediting and/or linking to the Summer Glau Wiki would be nice.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 13 Aug 2012, 22:17

REGDate: Monday, 13 Aug 2012, 23:02 | Message # 313
Quote (chrisdvanne)
New episode of Alphas on Syfy tonight, don't miss it!

And if my prayers are not convincing enough, this tweet from Laura Mennell, currently playing Nina Theroux on Syfy's Alphas, should wink

i still haven't watched last week's episode. and i'll be downloading the new ep tonight!!

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 14 Aug 2012, 08:57 | Message # 314
New article at Io9 : 10 TV Shows that Survived After Their Original Showrunners Left

...plenty of TV shows have lost their original showrunner and kept on trucking. With mixed results, admittedly. Here are 10 science fiction and fantasy shows that survived a change at the top.

Alphas is mentioned in the list.

10) Alphas
Original showrunner Ira Stephen Behr (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) left at the end of season one, and was replaced by Bruce Miller (Eureka, The 4400). Miller promised his new approach to the show would include more drama and more sex, plus a major death.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 14 Aug 2012, 08:58

KevinInEnglandDate: Tuesday, 14 Aug 2012, 16:25 | Message # 315
Black is always a good choice on many women, although I don't agree for all. Nina Theroux looks fine IMO.

On to the next. I've seen the short vid & it made me very happy. Am I wrong for this?

Here's another phrase chris:
"What did you see?"
"I saw everything" '& you touching my hair and that look on your face'.

Message edited by KevinInScotland - Tuesday, 14 Aug 2012, 16:26

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Search: