menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 05 Jul 2011, 13:45 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
Be very carefull not to use the words "superpowered" or "superpower" when talking about the Alphas extraodinary capacities ; my guess is that the studio has briefed the actors to use the word "abilities" or "special abilities" instead.

Why is that? Same reason why the name of the channel went from SCI FI to Syfy : the Channel wanted to distance itself from the science fiction genre and broaden its programming (copyright brand name also).

Superman has superpowers, it's 100% science fiction but this is not the way the writers wants to sell the show; they prefer to talk about special abilities because every abilitie has a scientific background on the show (super strenght comes from the ability to full the boby with adrenaline,...). This is a way to say "we're not a science fiction serie" and to avoid to be a niche show.
As a comparison, "No Ordinary Family" had clearly taken the superpowers path; "The cape" tried to avoid superpowers but failed at giving us convincing explanations.

Don't be fooled, theses questions are taken very seriously by the writers; the Star Wars franchise lost a lot of credibility among the fans when the prequels introduced the mitochloridians to give The Force a scientific explanation. Same about the Highlander franchise : the immortality was introduced as an element of The Creation in the first movie, whereas the sequel told us the Immortals were...aliens (???).

Alphas premieres July 11th 10pm on Syfy ; come back often for more infos and discussions about the show.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 05 Jul 2011, 23:29

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011, 22:51 | Message # 17
Syfy has unveiled its plans for participation at San Diego Comic Con 2011.

ALPHAS's panel is scheduled on Friday, July 22 6:00pm – 7:00pm

Quote (Comic-Con Geek)
Syfy’s newest original series Alphas has taken the summer by storm – and it’s just the beginning. Join cast members (TBA), co-creator and executive producer Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand; The Avengers) and executive producer Ira Steven Behr (Star Trek: The Next Generation; The 4400) as they reveal why impossible is what Alphas do best. Alphas premieres Monday, July 11 at 10PM ET /PT and stars David Strathairn, Malik Yoba, Warren Christie, Azita Ghanizada, Ryan Cartwright and Laura Mennell. Moderated by Geoff Boucher (“Hero Complex,” The LA Times). Room 6A.

DevoDate: Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011, 22:59 | Message # 18
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Syfy has unveiled its plans for participation at San Diego Comic Con 2011. ALPHAS's panel is scheduled on Friday, July 22 6:00pm – 7:00pm Quote (Comic-Con Geek)Syfy’s newest original series Alphas has taken the summer by storm – and it’s just the beginning. Join cast members (TBA), co-creator and executive producer Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand; The Avengers) and executive producer Ira Steven Behr (Star Trek: The Next Generation; The 4400) as they reveal why impossible is what Alphas do best. Alphas premieres Monday, July 11 at 10PM ET /PT and stars David Strathairn, Malik Yoba, Warren Christie, Azita Ghanizada, Ryan Cartwright and Laura Mennell. Moderated by Geoff Boucher (“Hero Complex,” The LA Times). Room 6A.

I wonder if Summer will pop up as a secret guest to spark interest?

I can hear the crowd squee'ing already. biggrin

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011, 23:10 | Message # 19
Yeah, i wanted to hint that on the other thread dedicated to tv/movie going to SDCC and then i thought it would be presomptuous because we have no offcial statement.
But i received a confirmation from a second source that she will guest star on ALPHAS. Personally; i have no doubt this is true and this is a scoop.
Again, this is non official and ALPHAS or Summer's surrounding may want to keep it a secret, this is why i don't claim it everywhere on the net.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 07 Jul 2011, 20:33 | Message # 20
Short promo video for Alphas; th funny thing is that it's not directly related to the serie but features an "amateur" video showing an alpha :

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 14 Jul 2011, 11:13

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 09 Jul 2011, 08:08 | Message # 21
TvByTheNumbers is running a poll : "Many Summer Scripted Shows Return/Debut, What Are You Most Excited About?"

ALPHAS is winning smile

What Are You Most Anticipating?
Torchwood! 9.84%
Eureka! 8.75%
Warehouse 13! 7.28%
Alphas Premiere! 30.7%
More Falling Skies! 3.87%
(More rooting for Falling Skies to Fail, even if it isn't failing) 0.8%
Curb Your Enthusiasm! 4.72%
The Closer! 4.89%
Rizzoli & Isles! 4.6%
Rescue Me! 2.9%
Damages! (premieres on DirecTV) 5.4%
More of Any/All of my USA Network Faves (White Collar, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, Suits, Necessary Roughness, Royal Pains, In Plain Sight) 11.37%
I Hate Everything! (None of the Above) 4.89%

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 09 Jul 2011, 14:43 | Message # 22
Robert Hewitt Wolfe, is a writer for ALPHAS
Quote (Robert Hewitt Wolfe)
I write and produce TV and stuff. Credits include ST:DS9, Andromeda, The 4400, The Dresden Files, The Gates, and now ALPHAS! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0938129/

He tweeted this yesterday :
writergeekrhw Robert Hewitt Wolfe
Vote for #Alphas! RT @TVbytheNumbers Many Summer Shows Return/Debut, What Are You Most Excited About? (Poll) bit.ly/oI9Ujf

I tweeted him today :
chrisdvanne chris devanne
@writergeekrhw Voted! What Are You Most Excited About? (Poll) #ALPHAS wins with 30% votes..bit.ly/oZcMjY

And he answered nicely :
writergeekrhw Robert Hewitt Wolfe
thanks to @chrisdvanne and everyone else who powered #Alphas to the top of the #tvbythenumbers poll - bit.ly/oZcMjY”

Isn't the internet a wonderful world sometimes?

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 22:19 | Message # 23
Azita Ghanizada plays a quiet girl in ALPHAS but if you've seen behind-the-scene-videos you already know that's she's extraverted and likes to sho-off on real life.
For the premiere of ALPHAS in a few hours she gave us a little video to encourage and thanks the fans for tuning in; what a lovely attention!
But why does she have to do this on a couch with very little on her, touching her hairs meanwhile and biting her lips at the end of the clip?

Alphas Premiere Night Video by Azita Ghanizada

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 11 Jul 2011, 22:20

TheSaviorDate: Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011, 16:16 | Message # 24
You really need a psychological explanation based on an analysis of the person compared to that of the character?

think just about this. You sayd she's extraverted and likes to sho-off on real life. Her character on the opposite is a quiet girl. She maked the videos for the fans, jus a 52 secs video.
She probably is excited and wish to give right to the fans a glimpe over the character she is playing.
Beside if you act a long time in a given "modus operandi" you will act like that for long time before you can go bach to your normal behavior.
They are actors...remembere the one how has act as "the joker" in Batban and become Mad and died?
This is the risk of the best actor...to "become" theyr character.

And, also another guess...maybe she is as shy as her character but try to show-off just to be more confident with herself XD

Touching her hair..biting her lips...are all sign that she feel emotional and nervous. In any case she is human...is notmal to be nervous just before an important premiere ^^

"This isn't the first time we've done this..."
Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

TheSaviorDate: Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011, 16:21 | Message # 25
PS they have alredy aired something about Alphas? i see great comment on it in Twitter. Is there any video on internet for us european to watch?

Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011, 16:23 | Message # 26
As i said, i have seen several behind the scene video before that and i can tell you she's not shy at all; so says her tweets. She's clearly playing the seductive card to hook (pun intented) fanboys to watch the show. I don't blame her for doing this, it's just this is a little too obvious.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011, 16:25 | Message # 27
Quote (TheSavior)
PS they have alredy aired something about Alphas? i see great comment on it in Twitter. Is there any video on internet for us european to watch?

It's already available online but an honest forum does not encourage these behaviours wink

TheSaviorDate: Tuesday, 12 Jul 2011, 16:50 | Message # 28
biggrin you're right

Cameron

Me

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011, 17:49 | Message # 29
Syfy published a press release regarding its Monday line-up Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Alphas.

Good news for fans of Alphas : "Alphas is Syfy's most-watched series debut in two years"

Alphas premiered to 2.5 million viewers, a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating and was the most-watched and highest-rated of the Monday line-up.
Alphas was scheduled at 10pm for a 90min pilot and found 2.5 million total viewers, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54 along with a 1.84 Household (HH) rating.

Those numbers are great but of course you have to remember that Summer is a quiet period and new or returning shows will air in the Fall. Nevertheless it's a great time for a new show to build an audience.
Some may say that a great opening means nothing and lots of other shows had a great opening and then rapidly fell apart (The Event for example) but the higher the start the better.

Also a lot people said a full 90 min premiere at such a late hour (10pm-11:30) would hurt the ratings but it was not the case; though it would be interesting to have the ratings detailed by half hour to see the retention of viewers.

Syfy is a cable network so anything above 0.5-0.7 ratings over the season is a keeper.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 13 Jul 2011, 22:21 | Message # 30
My review of the pilot :

I won't insist too much on the "this looks like a mix of Heroes and X-Men" side; it can be interesting for the viewer to make comparisons but firstly sounding familiar doesn't mean the show won't be good and secondly it's more interesting to see what make the show unique.

What i like from the start is that the show don't spent the first hour in a boring presentation of the different characters and their special abilities; the writers spend not more then 15 minutes to show us the characters before they go to work while showing their abilities in short and funny situations: like Bill being forced to push a car in front of his garage or Gary's mother saying "stop watching television..or whatever".To avoid many long explanations, we've been presented patient files on screen mentioning the characters and it's abilities. Hearing rock music added to the soundtrack is surprising but enjoable.

More, the alphas are already working as a team under the direction of Dr Rosen (Hicks will join the team later on the episode); again this spare us the classical but somewhat action-shifting training like what we saw on The Cape for example. We go straight to the action. Good point.

Another point the writers insisted upon on interviews is that the powers are not "bigger than size", don't expect someone to fly or to bend time, at least not yet; in fact they have pretty limited powers, Bill struggles to push the car for example. To make short, Bill Harkin (played by Malik Yoba) has abnormal strength, Gary Bell (Ryan Cartwright) can read and see electromagnetic waves, Nina Theroux (Laura Mennell) can influence people's mind and Rachel Pirzad (Azita Ghanizada) has hypersense but one at a time. Indeed, each of them has a weakness that comes with the enhanced abilitie. It's used mostly to add a potential danger as seen in the pilot when Rachel is in the villains house for example.

Again, the writers insisted that Alphas had a lot of fun in it, which is true : Malik Yoba had the best line so far when he mocked Rachel : "You forgot the part about the bird that farted in New Jersey"; Or the fact that our heroes had to look after change for the meter when going out of their van.

There is not much time for character development but it's for the best : we plunge into the investigation quickly. Alphas is clearly a procedurial. I find the pace of the pilot was not too slow, packed with action and surprisingly minimal special effects. I was expecting a lot of explosions and FX to demonstrate the abilities of the Alphas and impress the studios first and the audience on a second step (recall the pilot of TSCC or The Cape who had lots of special effects). The writers deliberately not played that card, probably because they knew they could not do this on a weekly basis. Indeed the pilot works without needing this, well done.

Rachel overplay the shy type for my taste and Dr Rosen gibberish is sometimes boring but this is a pilot so the actors have to find their marks individually and with their partners but it works quite well so far. I must say i have not found a character i could love as much as i loved Cameron for example but it doesn't prevent from appreciating the show.

As i said, Alphas is a procedurial but the writers threw the bases of an overarching arc story, namely the Red Flag organisation that includes "evil" alphas. At least we believed that until the bad guy says to Hicks while dying (why would he lie) that he's on the wrong side.
Appart from this main plot we have sub-plots like Nina's backstory or Rachel's problem with Bill; many plots that will come up during the season.

As a conclusion, writter Zak Penn and Michael Karnow created a strong and engaging pilot; i'm sure that the new showrunner Ira Steven Behr (4400, Star Trek : Deep Space Nine) will capitalize on that and improve the show.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Search: