menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
RNBMDate: Thursday, 05 Jul 2012, 14:55 | Message # 271
Group: Friends
I don't care for the tatoos, but I really like her hair style as Skylar.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 11:08 | Message # 272
Group: Administrators
I have mixed feelings about this : on one side, i'm glad that Summer is coming back for 3 episodes but on the other side i'm wondering if her appearance in yet another sci-fi show will put a halt to her will to extend her range of roles.

I certainly don't want her to give up and say : "well, people like me in scifi roles, then i should give her what they want and stay in the genre". In this regard, the letter we're writing for the Calendar goes in the right direction imo.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 16:08

REGDate: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 15:27 | Message # 273
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I certainly don't want her to give up and say : "well, people like me in scifi roles, then i should give her what they want and stay in the genre". In this regard, the letter we're writing for the Calendar goes in the right direction imo.

i agree. she shouldn't limit herself to one genre. she should go for roles that she likes and is interested in. and not be pressured and shoehorned into a category.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

The1RussterDate: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 16:34 | Message # 274
Group: Writer
I think its great the Summer will be in three episodes instead of the previously reported one, but I wonder why they waited so long to announce it? Probably so Syfy could use the news to generate more buzz around the series.

---

Reg and Chris, where have you two been the last few years? 1) Summer Glau does not limit herself to scifi roles she pursues all drama roles. She has even said that. Two years ago she even changed agencies in order to pursue that goal. 2) Summer has said, and I'm paraphrasing, she pays more attention to the character and not the genre. 3) The selection of roles she chooses from are based on the scripts that is sent to her or what she discovers about a role when she goes to a casting call. 4) Based on things Summer has said in interviews over the last three years, I get a sense she abides by a set of principles or values in selecting the roles she eventually accepts. All of these play into what we eventually see her perform in on TV, but the biggest limitations in all of this is the Hollywood machine which generates more crap than any given dairy farm or cattle ranch, and tends to typecast every actor in the industry but for those actors who achieve the kind of status where their name precedes the movie title. And until an actor achieves that status, it is a hard and challenging career to pursue. Reg and Chris, before you start putting words in her mouth, you should remember and think about what Summer has said in the past. Now all I need is a secretary to research examples for my points above and I'd include them in my response, but I'm too tired and hot to do it myself. I say all this in the spirit of friendship and to offer some balance of opinion on this thread.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 16:37

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 17:15 | Message # 275
No need to prove your points by quoting articles, firstly because i trust you and secondly because i've listened to/read them as well.

I simply note that the balance between sci-fi/non sci-fi roles was inclining towards non sci-fi genres in the last few years, or even if you prefer. But with Scent of the Missing not being picked up and Summer expanding her role in Alphas, the balance is now on the side of sci-fi roles.

My point is that i don't want Summer to take those events as an excuse to resent on pursuing drama roles; to be honest, my fear is not about Summer's reaction but about the feeling of producers and her talent agency and the roles they might offer her.

As usual, all i'm saying in the forum is not gold, it's just an excuse to start a discussion.

ThierryDate: Friday, 06 Jul 2012, 17:53 | Message # 276
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I simply note that the balance between sci-fi/non sci-fi roles was inclining towards non sci-fi genres in the last few years, or even if you prefer. But with Scent of the Missing not being picked up and Summer expanding her role in Alphas, the balance is now on the side of sci-fi roles.

My point is that i don't want Summer to take those events as an excuse to resent on pursuing drama roles; to be honest, my fear is not about Summer's reaction but about the feeling of producers and her talent agency and the roles they might offer her.

That is exactly THE point about Summer's career :
It is not to forget that the series, whatever the quality is, are first commercial products : working in a TV channel, I can tell you this.... In a time of economic crisis, this is clear : the main purpose is first to make audience, artistic issues are coming - let's say sometimes -.

As a results, many great talents, like Summer's, are "limited" in the same genre : it may be Sci-Fi, or others : what about the movies? Theatre plays ? Stage ? Summer said more than once that she would be really interested to make movies in other genres, so it is up to directors, producers, casting directors and agencies to take risks with young talented people instead to check their production budgets and audience surveys.

I share the same fear as Chris, imo it is one more reason to express our support, and not only because she has her birthday in less than 3 weeks.

Even if I am happy that Summer is back on Alphas Season 2, I feel a little uncomfortable with this news.

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

AlexDate: Saturday, 07 Jul 2012, 20:43 | Message # 277
Group: Bloggers
I hope that Summer is offered roles in any genre. I read that Ellen Page has just completed a film for Woody Allan. I think Summer could do well in a Woody Allan film, or she could work with Oliver Stone, Ridley Scott, or James Cameron - any reputable director would be good. Why can't she be in a Scorsese film? Peter Jackson? I would really like to see Summer in a variety of films that give her a chance to showcase her talent.

A couple of times I have heard Summer talk about turning down roles. I don't know what those roles were but it sure would be interesting to find out what they were and if these roles made it to the screen.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

AlexDate: Saturday, 07 Jul 2012, 21:14 | Message # 278
Group: Bloggers
I am wondering how large her parts will be in the three episodes. I read on the Twitter feed for Stephen Welke of Alphas that they are getting episode 206 ready (Summer's first). I read a bit further into his tweets and related Alpha tweets and it appears that they are doing a lot of ADR work for the earliest episodes, mostly for the principal actors. So if they have completed all the shooting for Summer's three appearances (and I don't know that they have), I wonder if this means that her appearances are relatively small versus her first season appearance?

I suppose it is a moot point because her Firefly appearances were fewer but her impact was huge, way much more than the amount of screen time she had would suggest.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Saturday, 07 Jul 2012, 21:15

ThierryDate: Saturday, 07 Jul 2012, 21:52 | Message # 279
Quote (Alex)
I hope that Summer is offered roles in any genre. I read that Ellen Page has just completed a film for Woody Allan. I think Summer could do well in a Woody Allan film, or she could work with Oliver Stone, Ridley Scott, or James Cameron - any reputable director would be good. Why can't she be in a Scorsese film? Peter Jackson? I would really like to see Summer in a variety of films that give her a chance to showcase her talent.

That's up to these directors like those mentionned by Alex to give to Summer the opportunity to be in their next movies ! She would be perfect in a Woody Allen or Martin Scorsese film !

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012, 04:06 | Message # 280
Reminder :

Alphas Season 2 premieres Monday July 23 at 10/9c. On #SyFy and #SPACEChannel.
Alphas season 2 will return to British channel 5* on August.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 10 Jul 2012, 04:07

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 12 Jul 2012, 14:20 | Message # 281
To celebrate the return of Alphas, website Icon VS Icon is giving away a package including The Complete First Season of ALPHAS on DVD + 1 ALPHAS t-shirt.

Source and details on how to enter the contest : Icon VS Icon

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 15 Jul 2012, 07:58 | Message # 282
Summer Glau made a surprise visit to the Alphas panel at sdcc; here are a few pictures and comments :

nikki griffin@nikki_griffin
The lovely Summer Glau, guest starring again on S2 of #Alphas has joined the panel.

Alphas Panel at Comic-Con International San Diego

Allison Pierce@Luckypantaloons
Surprise! It's Summer Glau!

The Naz@nazpyro
Summer Glau surprise attack!

More images in the Gallery.

Check the News page for highlights on Summer's role in season two.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 15 Jul 2012, 08:00

RNBMDate: Sunday, 15 Jul 2012, 20:12 | Message # 283
Would love to see the video of that panel. How many questions were directed towards Summer?

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 16 Jul 2012, 00:17 | Message # 284
Quote (RNBM)
Would love to see the video of that panel. How many questions were directed towards Summer?

Watch a clip of the Alphas panel with Summer Glau on the News page.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 18 Jul 2012, 10:41 | Message # 285
Syfy has released a sneak peek of season two premiere : "Wake Up Call"

Love the callback to the pilot scene with Hicks.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Search: