menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
DevoDate: Thursday, 25 Aug 2011, 21:26 | Message # 166
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Another very positive interview : TV Review: ALPHAS – Season 1 – “Catch and Release” QuoteThe casting of Glau as Skylar works splendidly. It should surprise no one that Glau is terrific playing a character who is harder and more worldly than others she is known for; she and Mennell have a delightful scene where Skylar and Nina reminisce about their wild shared past. There’s also a great moment when Skylar detects Nina trying to “push” her and reveals her just-whipped-up protective contact lenses.

I loved that scene. Summer did a good 'lol gotcha!' reaction when she revealed she was wearing the contacts. Those two ladies have good chemistry. biggrin

Syfy would be making a mistake not to have at least one episode dedicated to Skylar & Nina's mysterious past.

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 25 Aug 2011, 23:48 | Message # 167
Group: Administrators
This is my favourite scene of the episode. I also love the previous scene in Dr Rosen's office when Summer turns towards Nina and says with a grin "this is the part you're pushing me right".
I will try to get the extracts on video.

There is no hurry to make an episode about Skylar and Nina's past but it's clear Nina's past and mostly Dr Rosen past will be mentioned in the last episodes of the season.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Friday, 26 Aug 2011, 15:56 | Message # 168
That was a very cool scene indeed! Its my favorite too.

I'm also delighted by the plenty of praising reviews especially because they seem to acknowledge her talent shown in this episode and in her previous works as well. It seems that her talent wasn't unnoticed by many people not just among simple fans but in the more professional sphere.

I think that it was never the question if she is a superb actress or not but the question was how successfully she can exploit her talents.

The period between TSCC and Alphas wasn't good because she chose bad shows to play in.
Dollhouse was cancelled when she joined the cast and The Cape was a failure for example.

It seems however that you can only become famous if you are in a successful show or movie regardless of your talent. I think however that the recent events elevated or will elevate her status a bit especially if she becomes a regular in Alphas and the show won't be cancelled too soon. Now she should not make a mistake by joining an unsuccesful show and she can easily become one of the top actresses of Hollywood IMO.

I would certainly love that biggrin

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 26 Aug 2011, 16:09 | Message # 169
Photo of young River Tam, played by Skylar Roberge and young Simon, played by Zac Effron in Firefly..I swear the names are true..Thanks to @z_cochrane for the tip wink

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 28 Aug 2011, 14:56 | Message # 170
I keep saying it for weeks when analysing Alphas ratings in this thread : Alphas renewal is looking good.
Inside informations given by suite101.com tends to confirm it (even if they titled their article otherwise) :

The one point that needs to be made is that the series premiered to 2.5 million viewers and a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic, making it SyFy’s most watched series premiere since 2009. Since then the show has been fairly consistent averaging 2.0 million viewers and a 0.7 in the 18-49 demographic. The series has seen an average uplift of 21% in time-shifted viewing, bringing total viewers closer to an average of 2.6 million in live +7. The numbers aren’t that far off of Warehouse 13’s average performance and when compared to other SyFy scripted shows, such as Being Human, the numbers are in line with what SyFy expects. So I would say it’s a safe bet that we’ll see a second season.

According to my contacts inside the NBC Universal owned cable network, the powers that be are leaning heavily towards renewing the show for a 13 episode second season. I’m told a formal announcement on the fate of the series will be made by mid September at the latest. The network also expects to announce which projects from their development slate will be ordered to series. I’m also told that the new Battlestar Galactica spin off, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, and a Red Faction series are in the lead for series pick ups.

Source : Ratings Analysis: Is SyFy's Alphas In Danger of Being Cancelled?

MalfurionDate: Sunday, 28 Aug 2011, 19:16 | Message # 171
Thanks for the info, michelangelo. Sounds good, hopefully they decide for a second season, but please with Summer/Skylar! wink

Shyness and Summer met one day, Shyness had to speak first.

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 28 Aug 2011, 19:37 | Message # 172
Quote (Malfurion)
Thanks for the info, michelangelo.

I must justify my salary tongue
What's the point of checking a fansite if you have exclusive infos before it? ...I'm joking of course, it happens that members give the Summer Glau Wiki valuable infos biggrin

Still, did you know that the Summer Glau Wiki had the scoop Summer Glau was hired in Alphas weeks before it was announced : Summer Glau's secret project

FermiDate: Sunday, 28 Aug 2011, 20:23 | Message # 173
I hope that Alphas get a second season and that Skylar will return to the show soon.

Attachments: 4535679.png(362.8 Kb)

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 29 Aug 2011, 14:08 | Message # 174
Televisionwithoutpity is conducting the following poll :

What's your favorite new scripted show this summer?

28%Alphas
17%Suits
12%Falling Skies
11%Torchwood
10%Wilfred
8%Switched at Birth
5%Awkward.
5%The Lying Game
5%Teen Wolf
4%The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Nice to see that Alphas is ahead!

Source : http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 29 Aug 2011, 19:29 | Message # 175
Another example of the Summer Glau effect?

Here is a screencap of Alphas season 1 on iTunes (at least the 7 already aired episodes); if you compare the number of bars in the Popularity column, you see clearly that Summer's episode ranks on top.
However we don't know exactly what this popularity bar measures. More, i don't know if the bars are related to a period of time, the last seven 3 days for example, which would give an advantage to the last aired episode of course.

Apple says
The iTunes Store popularity bar is calculated based on sales and multiple Apple internal processes (searches in this case).

As a conclusion, unless we have the exact numbers of sales (or at least relative numbers), i cannot conclude about this popularity bar.

Maybe more interesting is the 'Top TV Episodes' list, sorted by Bestsellers : 'Catch and Release' ranks #70, while ep2 'Cause and Effect' ranks #181 and the Pilot ranks #200.

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 30 Aug 2011, 13:11 | Message # 176
Fan Share commented Summer's guest spot in Alphas : Summer Glau receives positive response for Alphas performance

Quote ( Fan Share)
Summer Glau receives positive response for Alphas performance

30 year old actress Summer Glau is probably best known for appearing in the critically acclaimed, Joss Whedon directed, TV series Firefly as River Tam. That series did not run for very long but Summer did reprise the role of River Tam for the feature film Serenity.
Glau has since appeared in a number of TV shows including Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, where she played Cameron Phillips. More recently though,Summer had a guest appearance on the hit show Alphas and has received rave reviews for her performance.

One such review claims, “What stood out for me was the fact that her character was so complete unto itself. Alphas didn’t rely on me as a viewer to have already loved her work. Nicely done.” Summer Glau is set to appear on the big screen in the black comedy Knights of Badassdom, which is due out later this year.

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 30 Aug 2011, 19:22 | Message # 177
So far from the 3 reviews of alphas episode 8 released online, two are negative ( Seriable and A.V. Club) and one is positive (TV Fanatic); it looks like the reviews won't be as positive as for last episode with Summer Glau.

Of course i'm glad that Summer's performance was praised but i'm thinking to the future of the serie; an average episode can mean a drop in ratings next week, which a new serie like Alphas cannot afford.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 31 Aug 2011, 01:38 | Message # 178
Its seems they are in need of the blessing touch of the Glaudess!

I hope that these events help everybody realize that Summer is definitely a ratings raiser(and nobody will fear to cast her possibly in even better roles). Side note to the skeptical: Even in the case of the cancelled shows its unlikely that she scared off viewers instead of attracting them( an actor has to be very terrible to do that and Summer is definitely not terrible- see the reviews) . And even if she has a small fanbase they would likely watch her show too so she would bring them as well.

BTW if she had any part in the popularity of this episode then her fanbase might be more considerable than I've thought before and that would be great I think even if the fans are not as hardcore as us.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FermiDate: Wednesday, 31 Aug 2011, 11:41 | Message # 179
Quote (michelangelo)
For Alphas, the trend since the pilot is as following (18-49 demo ratings and millions viewers):

Pilot : 0.9 and 2.5
Ep 2 : 0.8 and 2.225
Ep 3 : 0.7 and 1.934
Ep 4 : 0.7 and 2.031
Ep 5 : 0.7 and 2.011
Ep 6 : 0.6 and 1.832
Ep 7 : 0.7 and 1.879

The ratings went down again
Ep 8 : 0.6 and 1.789

Tvbythenumbers

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 31 Aug 2011, 16:07 | Message # 180
Quote (Fermi)
The ratings went down again
Ep 8 : 0.6 and 1.789

I said last week i could not conclude about Summer's impact on 'Catch and Release'; these fresh ratings allow me to claim that last week ratings bump was due exclusively to the hype of Summer guest starring on 'Catch and Release'. Let's not forget that Alphas numbers went up when Summer guest starred, while Eureka and Warehoue 13 numbers went down slighly.

Unfortunately for Alphas, it was not enough to convince these new viewers to watch the show every week and they disappeared as soon as Summer was not on the show anymore.

Last Monday, Alphas numbers went down while Eureka and Warehouse 13 were steady; you cannot invoke a poor lead-in to explain Alphas decrease.
It seems the show has bottomed to a 0.6 in adult 18-49 demo and 1.8 million viewers; let's hope Syfy will consider these numbers enough to assure a second season. More informations about Alphas renewal are expected mid September.

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 31 Aug 2011, 16:40

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » Summer Glau on ALPHAS - Syfy
Search: