menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
MiaC Post # 106 | Thursday, 27 Oct 2011 - 01:59
Group: Friends
Interesting you said that there is nothing wrong with having children.

As long as it doesn't go uncontested that the woman give up everything and spend every waking hour taking care of the child while the husband goes to work, just as an example. Not saying that every relationship that has a child has a husband is there.

Blazius Post # 107 | Thursday, 27 Oct 2011 - 02:22
Quote (MiaC)
As long as it doesn't go uncontested that the woman give up everything and spend every waking hour taking care of the child while the husband goes to work, just as an example. Not saying that every relationship that has a child has a husband is there.

Couples should definitely try to find a way to share responsibilities especially if its about a child. Having a child and family shouldn't mean killing a womans own career on the spot. Not even mention its also detrimental to the child if only one of her parent is with her.

Seeing women as only child bearers is also detrimental to the society of course. A woman can share her knowledge and skills with the society if allowed from which we all benefit. So this whole view is not just immoral but also terribly inefficient to say the least.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

KrelleK Post # 108 | Monday, 07 Nov 2011 - 23:20
Quote (Blazius)
BTW Bennett. I think that the next role Summer should get is an "evil genius" character. That would work for any genre so she could even choose the most popular one.

The reason I want to see her as an evil character especially an evil genius is because she has the potential to play it brilliantly.

Everybody knows that she can play badass protagonists or gray morality character, but not everybody knows that she is just as good at playing bad guys.

Bennett is the best example. When I first saw her episodes I was completely shocked by her performance. Our lovely Summer suddenly become a chilly, sadistic "creature" who instead of the usual pleasantness brought uneasiness to the viewer. I was literally woken up from my "Glau dream" and it was a rude awakening. The trick is that Summer can potray very strong characters and summon very strong emotions. If these emotions are unpleasant then it carries even more weight. With a main villain its extremely important.

Bennett was also elegant and had the strange habit of telling her strange philosophies to her lackey(s) (the psychologist from Allison from Palmdale in this case). She also believes that her plan is not evil when in reality it is. These are characteristics of every evil genius type character and Summer marvellously made them work. This is quite an achievement because these kind of roles are mostly reserved for males or older females. Its because such a character needs to command respect and have strong personality with a strong will.

The problem is that a beautiful, young woman is never expected to have these attributes(we still often judge by appearance), and it rarely works when somebody tries it. But we know that it works with Summer so somebody should try her in a role like that.

My idea is to mix her a bit with Orwell so she "is watching" and planning evil plans but also she should have a public, pleasant face possibly with Orwells clothes to look innocent and beautiful in order to hide that she was behind the evil plan all along.

Also she could still kick the ass of the protagonists and remain badass even more so because the main villain needs to be very powerful, almost unbeatable. And to develop her character her hobby which she does in her evil fortress while she is planning could be some form of dancing so Summer could even dance in this role.

yeah i think I would like to see her as the super villain in some blockbuster too, and like the idea of her dancing too, too meditate perhaps? and that she too has a public face that is the pure innocence and perhaps helpfull(helpinng poor people and such) while behind the mask is something not so pleasant devil and to make sure she is also in the sequel, have her been sent to jail, perhaps with a warning that she can been just so innocent but that she definately belong behind bars, and then in the second one she perhaps start with pulling thestrings through the gaps between the bars devil and then perhaps through the machinations of her, the guards perhaps even the prison director is fired/change of posting, an then trying to warn the new ones about one particular female prisoner they are being excessively cautious, and that they certainly can handle one little female prisoner, but somehow through a prison break that she has somehow made look like that she was just pulled along, that it was no idea of hers, if she was to get caught. devil

Message edited by KrelleK - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 23:21

KrelleK Post # 109 | Monday, 07 Nov 2011 - 23:29
Quote (Blazius)
Now she only needs a pair of blood red lightsabers and we are fine.

She is staring just like a Sith, I would like to see her Force choking an Imperial officer to death(Apology accepted, Captain Needa!)

Bennett Halverson would be a good basis for a Sith personality given her love for philosophy and of course the torturing of Echo out of revenge. Her experience with River Tam could help her at the lightsaber duels.

The SW universe lacks Summer-type female characters anyway. Leia always needed rescuing as did Amidala. There weren't female Siths either only in the Expanded Universe(books,comics,games) but they were only half naked bitches anyway. Summer could do justice to the female characters of SW and because its a popular franchise it would help with her popularity too.

yeah I would love to see her play the role of a Sith Mistress, but I would prefer her lightsabers where of the kind with the sloped handles like that Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus.

KrelleK Post # 110 | Monday, 07 Nov 2011 - 23:42
Quote (Blazius)
Quote (michelangelo)
Summer Glau has earned herself that reputation of being the queen of sci-fi with her amazing performance in shows like Firefly or Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

As a proud "Scifi-geek" I can tell you that I've never seen anybody else who could challenge Summer for the throne. I consider her even on par with the best of male sci-fi actors too.

My only gripe with Summer on the field of sci-fi is that she never got the chance to play in the older, more classical sci-fi shows like Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape or Babylon 5. For one Summer would have had the chance to play in consistently renewed shows where she could have steadily build up her career. On the other hand the shows themselves could benefit from her superb acting which sometimes said shows seriously lacked. Of course she was busy with her dancing career that time( and she was a bit young too).

BTW I'm concerned that while she is brilliant in sci-fi, its not necessarily realizing her full potential. Think about her brilliant work in Deadly Honeymoon for example. Or the fact that her strongest points are the dramatic roles.

This is most apparent during the interrogation scenes in Alison from Palmdale or her role in Serenity. Also I remember when we watched the "disco-Glau" episode of The 4400 and during the Tess/Kevin confrontation scene each of us noted how good was she in that tense, dramatic scene. Of course sci-fi provides such scenes every now and then but not necessarily the most or the best scenes. She should look around and taste more genres before firmly decides to stay at sci-fi( through her upcoming films are not exactly sci-fis so maybe she thought about it too)

Quote (michelangelo)
But we fans have contributed to this by voting for her systematically in 'sexiest scifi babe' like polls.

I always had the feeling that its something we fans can do for her after so many joy and beauty and fun she gave to us. I'm glad it makes at least small difference.

yeah i kinda like the to think of how Summer would have tumbled with the role as Adria(not that i did not like Morenna´s Adria, just curious how she would have done it) or perhaps a Goa`uld Princess playing the good little loyal minor Goa`uld-goddes(perhaps a supposed "daughter" of one of the other "gods", but in reallity wants to change allegiance to that of the Tok`Ra, just looking for the right chance) biggrin

KrelleK Post # 111 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 00:00
Quote (Blazius)
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Hey, I thought Summer did just fine as the lead for Deadly Honeymoon. Her acting left nothing wanting. Even the "make out" scene when she got hit on big time was carried off perfectly. It's an example of her range.

http://www.sarahconnorfans.com/video....ig+Time

OK, I will grant that Deadly Honeymoon was not a "show" in the sense of a TV series. But she has definitely carried her weight in Firefly and TSCC. For many episodes in TSCC, she was functionally the lead. She can do it.

And I forgot to add this argument too to my post, thanks Ninja! She was a LEADING actress in Deadly Honeymoon so there is little question that she could do it again at least in a movie. I agree 100% with the rest of course.

Summer also lend her voice to SuperGirl in Superman and Batman thingy, I know in the comics Supergirl is blond, but somewhere i think I read that SuperGirl was supposed to be a female Cousin of kal El´s and well Kal El is black hairedso would i not be possible that she too should have been black-/brown haired? there was also somewhere that placed SuperGirl as being from an old Colony world of Krypton and that she therefor might not be related closely to Kal El/SuperMan

Blazius Post # 112 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 00:17
Quote (KrelleK)
yeah i think I would like to see her as the super villain in some blockbuster too, and like the idea of her dancing too, too meditate perhaps? and that she too has a public face that is the pure innocence and perhaps helpfull(helpinng poor people and such) while behind the mask is something not so pleasant and to make sure she is also in the sequel, have her been sent to jail, perhaps with a warning that she can been just so innocent but that she definately belong behind bars, and then in the second one she perhaps start with pulling thestrings through the gaps between the bars and then perhaps through the machinations of her, the guards perhaps even the prison director is fired/change of posting, an then trying to warn the new ones about one particular female prisoner they are being excessively cautious, and that they certainly can handle one little female prisoner, but somehow through a prison break that she has somehow made look like that she was just pulled along, that it was no idea of hers, if she was to get caught.

Summers characters always had the ability to look more innocent/weaker than they really are. In a heroic role it can't have that much impact but as a super villain it'd make her more diabolical. Depending on the story she can play a good guy through the whole film with a big revelation in the end or we could switch between scenes where she plays good and the heroes don't know she is the real villain but the viewer would know it and we could see her scheming in her evil base of operation.

I'd particularly like to include one dancing scene, either ballet or something other but it needs to utilize her grace and beauty. It needs to be spectecular to contrast the monstrous things she does and thinks. The whole character would be about "the monster in the beauty's body". The backstory behind the dancing would either be meditating( either because she is a bit mad and needs something to focus on to hold together or simply to keep herself in shape, or because she turned evil because of some higher purpose she believes she needs to fulfill and being evil is stressful to her but necessary and she needs to unwind with dancing) Maybe to strenghen the contrast more she'd kill one of her minions because he interrupted her dancing.

Quote (KrelleK)
yeah I would love to see her play the role of a Sith Mistress, but I would prefer her lightsabers where of the kind with the sloped handles like that Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus.

Glad you like my ideas. Many things could be implemented from the above ideas about the general supervillain and even more. If we explain it the way that she is very old and wise in reality but still beautiful(through using Sith knowledge) it'd be even better.

I suggested the double lightsaber because its more feminine and sexy but any form would do of course. It depeds on the characters intended personality.

BTW just a side note about the SW lore. The Sith Lord title applies to both gender and Sith Lady or mistress don't seem to be in common use through Lumiya is an exception for example(But she isn't really a Sith in my opinion, more like a Dark Jedi). So I'd suggest if we conceive a Summer Sith we should call her a Sith Lord too.

Quote (KrelleK)
yeah i kinda like the to think of how Summer would have tumbled with the role as Adria(not that i did not like Morenna´s Adria, just curious how she would have done it) or perhaps a Goa`uld Princess playing the good little loyal minor Goa`uld-goddes(perhaps a supposed "daughter" of one of the other "gods", but in reallity wants to change allegiance to that of the Tok`Ra, just looking for the right chance)

She'd have roughly the same awesome characteristics as above as a Goa'uld with an Stargate flavour of course. That'd be awesome too biggrin

i loved Morenas Adria, and I liked Morena too for a time because of it( I still don't know why she is so underwhelming in Firefly, miscast I guess)

But Summer would do Adria infinitely better I'm sure, Morena is still an inferior actor to Summer.

Message edited by Blazius - Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 00:22

FordStaff Post # 113 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 01:31
very old and wise in reality but still beautiful(through using Sith knowledge) it'd be even better.

I am no star wars expert, but I am fairly certain the dark side is the last thing you want to partake in if you trying to avoid aging (besides be president of the united states). Seriously compare these pictures --

I am probably wrong, but isn't it only like a twenty to thirty years time difference.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Blazius Post # 114 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 02:00
Quote (FordStaff)
I am no star wars expert, but I am fairly certain the dark side is the last thing you want to partake in if you trying to avoid aging (besides be president of the united states). Seriously compare these pictures --

Actually these pictures are more proving what I said. Extensive use of the Dark Side on such a high level as Palpatine could corrupt the body extensively to the point that eventually the Sith could die from it. Palpatine would look just as ugly on the first picture as on the second being a Sith Lord for a long time even before Phantom Menace, it has nothing to do with his age. However part of his scheme was that he used ancient Sith techniques to alter his appearance and look as a pleasant faced, thrust worthy old guy so people would elect him as Chancellor( maybe thats how he'd look like without corruption). Same could happen with Sith Summer. She'd be creepy in reality but through using Sith techniques she could look like a beautiful woman.

Also there are ways too to avoid being killed or incapacitated by the Dark Side corruption like using clone bodies into which somebody transfers her soul essence or using an armor for the same purpose.

Or in rare cases the Sith can regenerate her body too( I think Plagueis, Palpys master could do it)

Also Summer could also play a Sith ghost too. Unlike the Obi-wan type Jedi ghosts, Sith ghosts can interact with the living world and wield tremendous power especially if they posess somebody or something.

KrelleK Post # 115 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 02:26
Quote (MiaC)
Hmm, I would say that the world is most definitely becoming better at having powerful female leaders-in fact, I'm pretty sure there are good statistics out there about it. But, there can definitely be more equality at this point in time, because society is considered so far developed that these stereotypes are supposed to be antiquated but, unfortunately, are obviously still in existence.
I would define a strong, powerful female as someone who doesn't doesn't let men's perception of her govern who she is or consider marrying and taking care of children as the highest order of business in their lives. It is absolutely nothing wrong to get married, have children, and take care of them, but women who regard that as their definite path because "it is what women are supposed to do" without exploring what they want in life are most definitely not strong or powerful.

a few years ago Denmark got our first tv series with a female prime-/or minister of state or what correct english description would be. and here a few months ago we did actually get our first real female prime-/or minister of state biggrin

KrelleK Post # 116 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 02:37
Quote (Blazius)
Couples should definitely try to find a way to share responsibilities especially if its about a child. Having a child and family shouldn't mean killing a womans own career on the spot. Not even mention its also detrimental to the child if only one of her parent is with her.

Seeing women as only child bearers is also detrimental to the society of course. A woman can share her knowledge and skills with the society if allowed from which we all benefit. So this whole view is not just immoral but also terribly inefficient to say the least.

I agree whole heartedly with that, I cannot see any reason why the females carrere should end just because of a child, I mean i think the father should also have some time with the child.

KrelleK Post # 117 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 02:41
Quote (Blazius)
BTW just a side note about the SW lore. The Sith Lord title applies to both gender and Sith Lady or mistress don't seem to be in common use through Lumiya is an exception for example(But she isn't really a Sith in my opinion, more like a Dark Jedi). So I'd suggest if we conceive a Summer Sith we should call her a Sith Lord too.

thanks for telling me that, I did not know that.

Message edited by KrelleK - Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 02:43

FordStaff Post # 118 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 03:01

Also Summer could also play a Sith ghost too. Unlike the Obi-wan type Jedi ghosts, Sith ghosts can interact with the living world and wield tremendous power especially if they posess somebody or something.

She could just be a Sith Apprentice (if that is what they are called) and overthrow the Sith Lord she is paired with to take command. That would demonstrate more power than needing to be a ghost or really old but young looking using powers and she could just look young because she would actually be young. I do not know much star wars lore, but I do know the Sith established the rule of two so that the Sith's instinct to betray could be contained. I would assume that for most it takes a considerable time before the apprentice gains enough experience and or power to successfully betray their lord, so Summer could just finish the job quickly and ruthlessly demonstrating her evilness.

Actually these pictures are more proving what I said. Extensive use of the Dark Side on such a high level as Palpatine could corrupt the body extensively to the point that eventually the Sith could die from it. Palpatine would look just as ugly on the first picture as on the second being a Sith Lord for a long time even before Phantom Menace, it has nothing to do with his age. However part of his scheme was that he used ancient Sith techniques to alter his appearance and look as a pleasant faced, thrust worthy old guy so people would elect him as Chancellor( maybe thats how he'd look like without corruption). Same could happen with Sith Summer. She'd be creepy in reality but through using Sith techniques she could look like a beautiful woman.

Is that the explanation in the actual lore? I suppose what you say makes sense. Could it also be that he just contained the negative side effect of the dark side long enough to gain power and then no longer bothered. I thought I remember from something (maybe Knights of the Old Republic Game) stating that the dark side has corrosive effects on appearance if one is not careful in their use of it. Also while I am asking Star Wars questions and you seem knowledgeable I always have wanted to know - Is there any Sith or Jedi who do not use light-sabers, whether other weapons such as projectiles or even kung-fu?

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 03:17

Blazius Post # 119 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 04:16
Quote (FordStaff)
She could just be a Sith Apprentice (if that is what they are called) and overthrow the Sith Lord she is paired with to take command. That would demonstrate more power than needing to be a ghost or really old but young looking using powers and she could just look young because she would actually be young. I do not know much star wars lore, but I do know the Sith established the rule of two so that the Sith's instinct to betray could be contained. I would assume that for most it takes a considerable time before the apprentice gains enough experience and or power to successfully betray their lord, so Summer could just finish the job quickly and ruthlessly demonstrating her evilness.

The rule of two was indeed established to prevent infighting among the sith ( by Darth Bane) after the battle of Ruusan which was also the reformation of the Republic( thats the date from which Palpatine counts the 1000 years in which the Republic wasn't in war at all)

I don't like the Sith apprentice idea too much. The problem is that in SW the apprentices are not very good characters generally. They are either mindless tools of their masters or hot headed idiots who'd die doing some kind of idiocy. They aren't really deep either and most of the time we'd explore how poor childhood the Summer Sith had so that she turned to the Dark Side but maybe can be redeemed and whatnot dry

I'd like a character like I explained earlier. Wise, intelligent, scheming, rotten from the inside, beautiful outside and wielding tremendous power and knowledge. Even if an apprentice manages to overthrow the master he/she usually cheats and often a vast portion of the masters knowledge and power was not yet inherited by the apprentice. I think the Sith lord Summer would be the best option.

BTW if you played KOTOR then I don't have to explain how idiots the Sith apprentices can be( and how weak if you build your character in the right way wink )

Quote (FordStaff)
Is that the explanation in the actual lore? I suppose what you say makes sense. Could it also be that he just contained the negative side effect of the dark side long enough to gain power and then no longer bothered. I thought I remember from something (maybe Knights of the Old Republic Game) stating that the dark side has corrosive effects on appearance if one is not careful in their use of it.

In KOTOR if you make too many Dark Side choices( e.g. you do evil things) your character changes to look more corrupt and creepy like Palpatine.

And according to the lore the more you use your abilities and with more intensity the corruption is faster. I don't know an example if somebody could purify himself of it through the ancient Sith Lords who were crossbreeds of human and the actual Sith race seemed to be immune to it. One of the most extreme example of Dark Side corruption is in the case of Darth Nihilus( from KOTOR 2 ) who actually lose his corporeal form to Dark Side corruption and he was very strong( could wipe out the life from the surface of a planet on a whim) but even he couldn't stop it to happen he only managed to survive it.

BTW the explanation for Palpy was not said out loud but its the only racional explanation if you know the lore.
Quote (FordStaff)
Also while I am asking Star Wars questions and you seem knowledgeable I always have wanted to know - Is there any Sith or Jedi who do not use light-sabers, whether other weapons such as projectiles or even kung-fu?

SW is one of my passion you know.

The ancient Sith of Korriban like Naga Shadow used regular swords imbued with the Force instead for example. Many powerful Sith Lords and Jedi masters used the Force itself instead as a weapon, like King Omin( he is also another good example of Dark Side corruption) from Tales of the Jedis Onderon story arch, Aleema and Arca Jeth from the same comic.

Sith are generally not that dependent on lightsabers as Jedis due their more numerous offensive powers.

Also you can create many non lightsaber wielding Revans and Exiles in the KOTOR games.

Also a number of force users like Darth Maul are also adept in Teras Kasi the SW version of unarmed martial arts.

FordStaff Post # 120 | Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011 - 04:34

BTW if you played KOTOR then I don't have to explain how idiots the Sith apprentices can be( and how weak if you build your character in the right way wink )

That was long ago.. but good fun.

I don't like the Sith apprentice idea too much. The problem is that in SW the apprentices are not very good characters generally. They are either mindless tools of their masters or hot headed idiots who'd die doing some kind of idiocy. They aren't really deep either and most of the time we'd explore how poor childhood the Summer Sith had so that she turned to the Dark Side but maybe can be redeemed and whatnot dry

I'd like a character like I explained earlier. Wise, intelligent, scheming, rotten from the inside, beautiful outside and wielding tremendous power and knowledge. Even if an apprentice manages to overthrow the master he/she usually cheats and often a vast portion of the masters knowledge and power was not yet inherited by the apprentice. I think the Sith lord Summer would be the best option.

I was thinking more along the lines of psychopath with no story like the joker (well he gives multiple conflicting stories, so essentially he has no discernible past). Darth Vader was far more alluring when his fall was surrounded in mystery, there is no rule that falling to the dark side has to be angsty or even revealed. Surely there were those who fall to the dark side for the power alone.

Clearly if she was a Sith Apprentice and killed her Sith Lord at a very young age she could not be a hot headed idiot character she would need to be a very clever and powerful manipulative bastard. If she killed her master it could happen very early in whatever fiction it is set (perhaps even just a flashback) , so she would be a Sith Lord for the majority of the work (that is how it works right, kill a Sith Lord and your in? ).

The ancient Sith of Korriban like Naga Shadow used regular swords imbued with the Force instead for example. Many powerful Sith Lords and Jedi masters used the Force itself instead as a weapon, like King Omin( he is also another good example of Dark Side corruption) from Tales of the Jedis Onderon story arch, Aleema and Arca Jeth from the same comic.

Alright more specific then. Are there any gunslinger Jedi or Sith? If I had to be in the Star Wars universe I would choose to be a grey Jedi gunslinger myself (I would still have a light-saber as backup because they are too awesome not to have biggrin ). I would not want to be on the leash of the Jedi Counsel, but Sith are not exactly the most personable people so I would not want to deal with them either unless it is to collect a bounty on their head.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 09:54

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
Search: