menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
MattM Post # 481 | Sunday, 01 Jun 2014 - 19:24
Group: Friends
I think she should look into being in shows for cable television, especially the dramas. I say this because I heard that cable shows have been getting very good reception compared to shows for network television.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 482 | Monday, 02 Jun 2014 - 00:00
Group: Administrators
Quote MattM ()
I think she should look into being in shows for cable television, especially the dramas. I say this because I heard that cable shows have been getting very good reception compared to shows for network television.

Maybe. All the more so I have the feeling you can get fame and recognition from your pairs by playing in a cable drama.

But nothing compares to a successfull TV show on a broadcast network (think Castle). Summer used to be among the happy few who are given roles in this category (think TSCC or even The Cape). I note that this is not the case anymore (may I remind you that Arrow has a very limited audience).
The Vampire Diaries or Supernatural actors such as Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are superstars among a niche audience but are nobodies among movie-goers. Despite TVD or SPN's success, their filmography is desperately empty.

The gap between fans expectations ("we want to see Summer in the next Avengers movie") and the reality (Summer is the female lead on a web series) is enormous.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 483 | Tuesday, 10 Jun 2014 - 23:01
Revealing video. Summer approved!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 484 | Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 - 09:03
I want to see this look in Summer's eyes before I die of old age.

Give the girl another lead, not necessarily in a sci-fi show, Hollywood execs!!

Summer Glau signing autographs at the Los Angeles Serenity premiere on September 22, 2005 and at the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles premiere on January 9, 2008./

chrisdvanne_ Post # 485 | Monday, 07 Jul 2014 - 13:45
avclub.com released an article with Alan Tudyk in their Random Roles section, wherein they talk to actors about the characters who defined their careers.

Here's an excerpt in which Alan mentions Summer Glau is typecast.

AVC: All of your co-stars from that have gone on to have very different and interesting careers.

AT: Although, so far, I haven’t seen Summer Glau. I don’t know what Summer Glau wants or does. She might say, “I don’t want to do anything but science fiction.” But it’s what she does. That will be her thing, whether she wants it or not, I think. You can get what I have heard called—possibly by Joss Whedon—“the sci-fi ghetto.” You get actors who get in the sci-fi ghetto. Look at the people from Buffy. They get kind of trapped.

I don’t feel it, luckily. I’ve never felt trapped by it. And I think that times are changing. Look at Morena Baccarin, who is on Homeland. And science fiction is huge right now. Definitely in movies—it’s as much of a sure thing as you can have in movies. They tend to deliver, and definitely with Joss Whedon on board. I’ve been lucky enough to be able to still do things like 42 and things that aren’t Wash or Wash-like. I wasn’t pigeonholed.

I haven’t played a lot of Washs. I played Wash, and that was sort of the one, the one that’s the smartass kind-of-close-to-me guy. Whenever you’re introduced to the public first, you really either have to get away from it, or you embrace it and you fill that niche. I was playing extreme roles before I did Firefly. I did the gay German in 28 Days—I was the stoner in that, and a lower-class English in a movie about jousting. I was bouncing from a lot of different things. So the role of Wash, even though it is certainly the thing that I am approached about the most, it’s not the only thing that people see me as because they saw me doing something before.

Whereas Summer Glau, how old was she when she started Firefly? [She was 21. —ed.] So that was the thing that was so exciting—like wow, you do that. So she’s been embraced by the sci-fi community. And she’s in different sci-fi productions that see her talent but then also want to bring that into their production. There’s that. They’re like, we want a hit. Can we get that person from that? They have some sci-fi cred. There’s that as well. God bless it.

Read full article: Alan Tudyk on never playing the same role twice—except that one time

robbo Post # 486 | Friday, 12 Dec 2014 - 04:58
Group: Friends
Doctor Who: 10 Actresses Who Could Replace Jenna Coleman

6.  Summer Glau

Why she should be next: Since Steven Moffat took over, the show has been gaining more and more of an American fanbase. Casting an American as the next companion (rather than someone with a dodgy American accent, naming no names *coughs* peri* coughs*) would do a lot to thank them for their support, and who better than cult queen Summer Glau?

Ignoring the fact that she would appeal to an American audience, as that in itself isn't the best argument for casting someone, she is an absolutely phenomenal performer. Anyone who has seen her in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles as the series main Terminator, or as the iconic River Tam in Joss Whedon's Firefly, has to admit that she has bags of talent and a great range. This would allow the writers the creative freedom to pick an interesting dynamic with Capaldi and know that they'd have a memorable character at the end of it. She can play anything from a strangely sympathetic robot to an everyday human whisked away from Earth by the Doctor, so there's an awful lot of potential there.

She's got experience with the whiplash dialogue Moffat writes, having experienced a similar thing working with Whedon's scripts, so she'll be great at making that side of it seem believable. She's also got a lot of experience of interacting with enthusiastic fandoms, so she'll be a hit at the many conventions the Doctor Who cast are required to attend.

Why she shouldn't be: As said before, casting Glau to appeal to Americans wasn't the best argument. Well, if the furore over the an American convention getting the first trailer for the 50th anniversary is anything to go by, a lot of British fans aren't usually happy with the increased focus on those over the pond. And it's the Brits that pay the licence fee to fund the show, after all.

Still, that shouldn't stand in her way. It'd be a bit worrying if the only thing the showrunners looked at when casting was someone's nationality. Glau is a good enough performer . So good, in fact, that she already has a number of iconic roles to her name which has made her something of a cult hero. This could mean that any role she plays on Doctor Who has the potential to pale in comparison with what she's already done. As great a character as River Tam is, the Doctor Who fandom and the people who put the show together probably don't want to risk her overshadowing the new character they're trying to put on the screen.

Summer Glau is held in the highest regard that's for sure as a replacement for Jenna Coleman.
What a casting that would be for Summer!

Via: WC

Jenna Coleman attends the BAFTA Los Angeles Jaguar Britannia Awards, October 30, 2014 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.

Jenna Coleman attends the BAFTA Los Angeles Jaguar Britannia Awards, October 30, 2014 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.Jenna Coleman attends the BAFTA Los Angeles Jaguar Britannia Awards, October 30, 2014 at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 487 | Friday, 12 Dec 2014 - 12:43
Quote robbo ()
Summer Glau is held in the highest regard that's for sure as a replacement for Jenna Coleman.
What a casting that would be for Summer!

Yes, that would be awesome smile
While I agree with the article's arguments in favor of Summer, the arguments against her are lame (though I understand the author has to give some).

Summer is no stranger to the Doctor Who universe...and the Doctor's fans love Summer.

Summer Glau collage for Doctor Who fans

But since Doctor Who is filmed in England, it reminds me what happened with Alyssa Milano recently: 'Being wife and mother comes first': Alyssa Milano quits TV series Mistresses to care for family as shooting moves from LA to Vancouver

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
Search: