menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Rant : why bloggers blather that much in their articles
Rant : why bloggers blather that much in their articles
chrisdvanne_Date: Friday, 22 Jun 2012, 12:14 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
I read a lot of articles related to Summer and there is many times i'm surprised by the high level of blather and nonsense on blogger's articles; their ability to repeat over and over general points and preconceptions never ceases to amaze me.

That's the case in a lot of articles about TNT not picking up Scent of the Missing; the original poster, Deadline, is a serious site but many websites that reported the news took the easy route and slipped into superficiality and preconceptions.

Let me take a representative example :

I didn't mention the name of the website itself, it is irrelevant. Yet i have reproduced the entirety of the article (mentioning only the part i want to rant about would have been dishonest).

Tricia Helfer. Summer Glau. And Puppy Dogs? Someone ice cold at TNT said no to picking up Scent of the Missing. To be completely, even as proud dog owner of three and incredible admiration for both Helfer and Glau, I’m not sure if this news is shocking, though the word coming from Deadline indicates that it was in contention even as of May when TNT picked up David E. Kelley’s Monday Mornings, a medical drama.

This pairing would have had nerd fanboy nation down for sure, but when I first heard the news about the show in development it make me think about when I was a kid and watching Benji (though Scent of the Missing sounds like it was going to be serious).

As you can see in the begining of the article, the blogger has nothing against Summer or Tricia as actresses, which is the case in most article; but we all know that it's done in order to better criticize the show in the later part of the article. Let's have a look at each of the blogger's statement :

This pairing would have had nerd fanboy nation down for sure

Where did he get that?
I have ranted on this preconception many times in this forum; thinking that fans will watch a show just because their favorite actress plays in it is taking tv watchers for fools. I'm in direct contact with fans on a daily basis and i read their comments all over the net; i think i have a better view of what the fandom thinks than many bloggers, even professionals. And i can tell you that many fans of Summer Glau would not have watched SotM, or any other show that is not sci-fi; of course some would have seen the pilot out of curiosity but they wouldn't keep watching the show every week. This is the kind of things that happened when Summer Glau guest starred in two episodes of ABC's Grey's Anatomy recently and i guess a similar process happened when Tricia Helfer played in NBC's The Firm.
Same can be said about Whedon fans and Sarah Michelle Gellar playing in CW's Ringer.

When I first heard the news about the show in development it make me think about when I was a kid and watching Benji

Seriously?
How can someone judge a pilot whereas they didn't actually saw it? Do these bloggers have some kind of clairvoyance power or does their year of experience in tv business allow them to sniff a good show from a bad show just by its title.
If so, they could have had a role in "Scent of the Missing" wink
Such lack of insight also proves they know (or feign to) nothing about the long and complicated process leading to a pilot; in this regard, the bloggers are in the same position as the executives who have been pitched SotM. Before a pilot is filmed, the original idea was pitched to a production company, then pitched to a network who orders a script and a pilot if the script looks good : i think that if so many professionals agree to produce a pilot, the original idea itself can't be that bad. The final product, the pilot in this case, may or may not suit the network (read : Projects in development at TNT that SotM was competing with in the forum) but since no blogger actually saw it...

though Scent of the Missing sounds like it was going to be serious

Are you kidding me?
The blogger just said in the previous sentence that the show seemed like a joke and then he says that it's in fact a "serious" show; talk about schizophrenic people! This is the proof that the blogger don't know what he's talking about (of course since he didn't watch the pilot). But if he had done his job seriously, he would know that K-9 Search and Rescue is a serious matter. If someone is not convinced, i invite you to read Susannah Charleson's book "Scent of the Missing", from which the pilot is based on. SAR activities offers many opportunities to see credible and touching stories on screen, which is what TNT is supposed to be looking for btw (TNT's tagline is "We know Drama").

Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating a "no-fun" policy, but i think an article can be both informative and fun to read, it's just needs a bit of talent and the will to do it (Read TNT Drama Pilot ‘Scent Of The Missing’ Casts Its Canine Stars at Deadline).

As a conclusion, this type or article has only the following consequences; misinform the readers and leave them in a persistent vegetative state, instead of inviting them to use their brain cells. One could say that bloggers simply write what their readers want to read but is it true or simply the fact that so many bloggers blather that it becomes the norm. On a little broader perspective, it's makes you wonder why there is so much reality or low quality (but highly watched) programs on tv instead of original scripted programs.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Friday, 22 Jun 2012, 15:29

AlexDate: Friday, 22 Jun 2012, 23:14 | Message # 2
Group: Bloggers
Chris: you make very good points and I share your concerns. I believe that many of these blathering bloggers that you refer to have a need to appear as if they really do have something to say. Well, I think your post makes it quite clear that often they don't. At best, they are a simple diversion; at worst, they spread misinformation and they may leave casual readers grossly misinformed.

If I understand you correctly, I think that a lot of these people want to attract readers. Whether this is to fulfil a need to have a purpose or it is to attract viewers to ads on their blogs, I do not know - perhaps it is a combination of both. However, where a lot of these people miss the point entirely is that it is not about being sensational, or attempting to be so. That approach is purely self-centred and is ultimately very limited. The far more interesting approach is the one that this site takes and that is to promote a healthy interest in and an understanding of something that is admirable.

To be clear, what makes this site so interesting to me as an admirer of Summer Glau is that it has a lot of interesting information and it serves as a central clearing house of ideas in which we can discuss and think about Summer and her work. It is also part of a system that includes other social media tools all of which are employed for one purpose: promote Summer. My apologies if that is an oversimplification but I see this purpose as a worthy and healthy pursuit.

The bothersome blogs you refer to simply take the easy approach of trying to be current, shallow, and to offer a packaged, no-thinking-required chunk of information. A reader does not have to think about it what these bloggers offer. It can drive you nuts if you let it.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

KaliDate: Saturday, 23 Jun 2012, 00:30 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
I would like to know why a lot of places assume it would only be fan boys....what about us fan girls?? Just because she's female doesn't mean her following is all men:P

chrisdvanne_Date: Saturday, 23 Jun 2012, 00:45 | Message # 4
Quote (Kali)
I would like to know why a lot of places assume it would only be fan boys....what about us fan girls?? Just because she's female doesn't mean her following is all men:P

Absolutely!
They forget fan girls or make allusions to 12 year old fan boys, whereas the fandom is much older than one could think.

REGDate: Monday, 25 Jun 2012, 10:58 | Message # 5
i haven't really thought of the term fanboy as denoting only male. i have pretty much always thought of it as describing someone being a true fan and in some cases a hardcore fan of a celebrity/tv show/movie/game/artist etc.

like when some one says he guys check this out. it doesn't mean it's only guys, as in male. but rather describing or referring to a group as a whole.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

AlexDate: Monday, 25 Jun 2012, 23:02 | Message # 6
Quote (Kali)

You make a good point however I agree with Reg that it is probably true that it is just a generic term. I took this from the web page for Fanboy Confessional on the Space Channel site (Canada):

“Fanboy”, “Geek” and “Nerd” were once terms of ridicule and derision, but now these folks wear the badges proudly. Because everyone knows – Nerds Rule! And today there are literally millions of self-professed nerds around the world. FANBOY CONFESSIONAL is a new television series celebrating this revolution.

FANBOY CONFESSIONAL presents active stories of self-professed “Fanboys” (and “Fangirls”) – pop culture enthusiasts and aficionados. It’s a celebration of unique interests and creative knowledge, and presents each Fanboy as a hero in his or her own right. The characters in our series come from all areas of fandom, and all have a sense of humor about their passions, mixed with a healthy measure of self-awareness and respect.

However, language is powerful. I for one am happy to adopt both terms. As well, I think implicit in what you are saying is that there may be a fundamentally different perception of Summer based on gender? I am curious if that is part of why you raise this point?

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 12:25 | Message # 7
I tend to share Reg and Alex's opinion on the term "Fanboy", if taken in a general context; but my rant applies to bloggers writing about Summer Glau specifically and in this case, i do believe that this term has a more specific meaning.

I remember an interview with Summer and David Lyon made at the premiere of The Cape and the journalist, Michael Ausiello, mentions Summer's following and the "fanboys"; watch at 1:24 of the video :

Quote (Michael Ausiello)
You're gonna get a lot of young boys and middled-aged boys tuning in

That's an example of how Summer's fandom is perceived by journalists; at least Michael Ausiello is a serious journalist, writing for famous websites, whereas other publications take some liberty with the reality and write what they think their readers might want to see.
Let me take another example, from a comic book magazine this time; the snippets on Summer's role as Cameron in TSCC says :

Quote (Wizard )
The sci-fi genre has been very good to Texas native Glau, who has helped multiple viewers through puberty in roles as diverse as "hot chick on Firefly" and "hot schizophrenic chick on The 4400"

I wonder where they get that River Tam or Tess Doerner were sexy.
And now you see my point!

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 27 Jun 2012, 00:22

The1RussterDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 14:03 | Message # 8
Group: Writer
Pardon me if what I say below is offensive, but here's my take based on your latest post above.

To use the term 'fanboy' is not only insulting to the fans but to Summer Glau herself. Based on the quote above it gives the impression that the only fans Summer has are because of her looks, and her fans are nothing but a bunch of pubescent teen boys jacking off over fantasies of her. Really, is that what these bloggers think? Cuz it says more about themselves and how they think than the people they are commenting on.

Summer Glau is first and foremost a talented actress, second she is a wonderful human being, and third she is a beautiful woman. That is why I admire her and call myself a fan. If you agree, then share the message.

Edit 2: If I was lucky enough to be married and had a daughter, I couldn't imagine a better role model for her than Summer Glau.

Edit 1: That interviewer is an idiot! I never heard such stupid uninformed questions about The Cape since Summer and David made a live appearance during Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and were interviewed live by a professional. I want to smack these guys so hard their deceased ancestors as far back as five generations say ouch. My God! They probably think their being hip, savvy, entertaining, but they just sound so stupid! Here's some advice: Do some fucking research before asking questions and be respectful to the person you are interviewing and to the audience who will be tuning in to watch the interview.

Edit 3: I apologize if I went off the deep end in my comments above. This morning when I read Chris's latest post on this thread, it just touched a nerve and up til now I had been pretty much ignoring this thread. If insulted anyone unnecessarily, then I apologize for my word choice, but not for my opinion.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 23:19

REGDate: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2012, 23:35 | Message # 9
Quote (The1Russter)
To use the term 'fanboy' is not only insulting to the fans but to Summer Glau herself. Based on the quote above it gives the impression that the only fans Summer has are because of her looks, and her fans are nothing but a bunch of pubescent teen boys jacking off over fantasies of her. Really, is that what these bloggers think? Cuz it says more about themselves and how they think than the people they are commenting on.

Summer Glau is first and foremost a talented actress, second she is a wonderful human being, and third she is a beautiful woman. That is why I admire her and call myself a fan. If you agree, then share the message.

i agree 100%. these interviewers don't really have a clue about Summer or us fans.

the interviewer Michael Ausiello asks Summer if she is aware of her following. such a generic question that we have heard so many times. don't these interviewers have any creative or inquisitive questions? i was hoping for some insight into the show or something more than "do you know you have a huge following". the reason i watch interviews is to find out more about the show or about Summer's ambitions or why she chose a particular role or something more interesting.

AlexDate: Wednesday, 27 Jun 2012, 02:56 | Message # 10
Quote (The1Russter)
Edit 3: I apologize if I went off the deep end in my comments above. This morning when I read Chris's latest post on this thread, it just touched a nerve and up til now I had been pretty much ignoring this thread. If insulted anyone unnecessarily, then I apologize for my word choice, but not for my opinion.

I certainly did not take any offence. What I did take from it is that you are quite a dedicated admirer of Summer who has devoted a great deal of time, energy, and thought to her and her work. I also completely understand how frustrating it can be to see how people at times have maligned Summer and her work. It is, however, inspiring to me how she just seems to rise above it all with a sense of composure and grace.

On the use of the term fanboy/fangirl, I am uncomfortable with this term being defined as one who is obsessed with something. However, language is a living thing and meanings change. I believe that what was once a derisive and dismissive term is changing to a mean those fans who are so passionate that they are willing to be quite open in their admiration and to seek out others of like mind.

REGDate: Saturday, 30 Jun 2012, 14:34 | Message # 11
Quote (Alex)
On the use of the term fanboy/fangirl, I am uncomfortable with this term being defined as one who is obsessed with something. However, language is a living thing and meanings change. I believe that what was once a derisive and dismissive term is changing to a mean those fans who are so passionate that they are willing to be quite open in their admiration and to seek out others of like mind.

that is how i perceive the term fanboy/fangirl. as a fan who is passionate who is very open about their admiration of their favorite celebrity(s) and also to seek out other like minded people.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Rant : why bloggers blather that much in their articles
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: