Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans
January 5-7, 2017

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

The official funny thread
By chrisdvanne

Serenity Blu-ray Extra
By chrisdvanne

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at Ottawa Comiccon 2014
By chrisdvanne

Interesting about the franchise and other TSCC things
By KevinInEngland

Submit a News or Article
By chrisdvanne

The Fanart Thread
By chrisdvanne

Juke Joint!
By Admirator

Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
By robbo

New comments

KevinInEngland on: Fan made TSCC season 3 trailer

Joseph Flowers on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Joseph Flowers on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Roboter on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

robbo on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

The1Russter on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Charley_Dixon on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Fermi on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Admirator on: Guess whose birthday it is today!

Joseph Flowers on: Lovely shot of Summer and Val's wedding by Joan Allen

New videos

00:44:18

00:03:44

00:04:51

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 3 of 10«12345910»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau vs. Aliens (Summer Glau: perfect star for an Aliens movie)
Summer Glau vs. Aliens
Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:52 GMT | Message # 31

Friends

Thanks.

But I'm guessing you agree there's nothing new about Unleashed? From what I described does it seem new enough? Do you think it's got enough new stuff that would make it sell?

One of my best ideas was this: Imagine it, characters trapped in an area when they discover that one of them is impregnated with an Alien, not only do they have to find out who it is, they also have to "take care" of that person. Unlike Cameron, Newt would hesitate in killing someone, even if they were impregnated.

I can't say much without revealing the movie and ruining my deal. I can't reveal the whole story otherwise I'm basically saying, "I'm giving you free right to steal my story." I even had to delete an awesome movie trailers from Youtube under advice from one my film teachers.

Of course Predators didn't really have anything new, it was basically the same location, the only difference was it was another planet but it was still a jungle, and then of course there's the Super Predators. No way am I going down that road. Friend of mine said, "You should have new breeds of Aliens like super Aliens with different abilities!" and I responded, "What's wrong with regular Aliens?"

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:52 GMT | Message # 32

Friends

no it doesn't have much new. but discovering a character impregnated could lead to some further dilemmas and moral choices that could make for some interesting character development. and also there could be hybrid aliens with human dna to bridge the gap between the species or something.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:52 GMT | Message # 33

Friends

New
Man, I wish I could tell you the whole story, cause I mean it could have something new, you just need to know the whole story. Like I said, think of 30 Days of Night, just with Aliens instead of vampires and no snow environment. Cause again, my story is about colonists trying to hold up and survive when Aliens infest them then then Marines arriving in the aftermath and getting stuck there.

Moral Choices
Oh yeah it does, Hicks is going to kill this person to save the others, but one person objects which leads to everyone drawing guns on each other. There's something similar to that, can't remember what it was, oh yeah, this is a terrible example but in Shaun of the Dead when his mom begins to turn into a zombie and they all put guns, broken bottles, and corkscrews at each other.

Super Aliens
D'o no! No! No! No super Aliens! They tried that with the Newborn in Alien Resurrection and it was a disaster. Less we forget the Predalien with the ability to implant embryos down pregnant women's throats with its tongue, and 4 Chestbursters popping out of their pregnant bellies. Never wanna see that, ever again. I mean I like AVP and even I thought that was lame.

Newt's Independence
But anywho, what makes this different, is Newt. When all hell breaks loose and she is elected leader, she has to help the colonists escape and survive. And most of all, it's about a woman who faced a horrible nightmare and must face her fears, and help her new family survive. In Aliens, Newt was the damsel in distress who people had to rescue, in a manner of speaking. That scared little girl is gone, Newt is grown up now, she can take care of herself now. This has Summer Glau written ALL over it.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:52 GMT | Message # 34

Friends

Quote (Hicks)
Super Aliens
D'o no! No! No! No super Aliens! They tried that with the Newborn in Alien Resurrection and it was a disaster. Less we forget the Predalien with the ability to implant embryos down pregnant women's throats with its tongue, and 4 Chestbursters popping out of their pregnant bellies. Never wanna see that, ever again. I mean I like AVP and even I thought that was lame.

yea it was a dumb idea. i don't know what i was thinking lol!

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:52 GMT | Message # 35

Friends

Plus, people say that Aliens aren't scary anymore. I wanna prove them wrong.

In fact have you heard of the new Alien spin-off prequel Prometheus? Well I feel like Prometheus is just some excuse to make something new with the Alien franchise without doing something that has been done to death, which is why there are no Aliens in the movie, or so I believe. They're making a whole movie based on an idea from the first that hadn't been exploited yet.

But yeah I did consider Alien crossbreeds, but then I thought I'd be crazy. I must've gone through like 10 different drafts before I settled on the right script to follow Unleashed, Unleashed only went through like 3 or 5.

But anywho, back on the subject of Summer. Summer is perfect for the role of Summer and this is right up her alley. I really hope my script is new enough to sell. I mean, one thing I exploited is Aliens lurking in the shadows, like the vampires in 30 Days of Night. I really wanna make them scary again.

I sure do talk a lot, even in messages, I must've been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:53 GMT | Message # 36

Friends

Quote (Hicks)
In fact have you heard of the new Alien spin-off prequel Prometheus?

yea i've heard of it. from the title i thought it was about the water god from greek mythology but then i saw the chamber and i thought another money milking movie. if you're going to continue a franchise do it properly. don't just set it in the same world and completely fuck it up.

and yes aliens need to be scary again.

Quote (Hicks)
I sure do talk a lot, even in messages

i do too lol. i tend to ramble.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:53 GMT | Message # 37

Friends

I mean I'm sure it's gonna be a great movie, but I just feel like they're just trying to make money off something that hadn't been pursued in the Alien series, the Space Jockeys (the skeleton alien from the spaceship in Alien).

As I said before, I think Unleashed has got plenty of new stuff, I mean I hope it does. It's not a rehash of Aliens I can tell you that.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 00:53 GMT | Message # 38

Friends

Quote (Hicks)
But seriously, if I had money, fame, and power, I would cast Summer in so much great roles that she would never be overlooked again. Or is it underlooked? Which is the one where the actor doesn't get much roles? Basically, I would see to it that she'd get bigger roles.

And I would put an end to this "Summer Glau Curse"

BTW, did you hear that she had a role as a dancer in the Black Swan? But during production her role was cut. Man she can not get a break!

Quote (Hicks)
One of my best ideas was this: Imagine it, characters trapped in an area when they discover that one of them is impregnated with an Alien, not only do they have to find out who it is, they also have to "take care" of that person. Unlike Cameron, Newt would hesitate in killing someone, even if they were impregnated.

Just a few things I'd like to add: IIRC in A3 and in some EU it was established that being impregnated has physical synthoms as the said person feels sick and weak and has trouble breathing( as the embryo grows in their chest) and has increased appetite( the thing consumes nutrients from the hosts body).

So when you write this you have to make sure that the team either doesn't know the synthoms or the impregnated person wants to hide it because of the foolish hope than he can survive somehow if others don't kill him. Fans for example will really appreciate if you use nice touches like this and they see that you are well versed in the lore.

IMO the person should be Newts LI to make it more tense and personal or if you want to avoid cliches then a character we care about very much at least.

Quote (Hicks)
Super Aliens

Agree 100%. Those were complete lunacy. IMO A4 and AvP2 movie were the lamest parts of the franchise( there are other reasons too but the super aliens are a huge factor)

Still I somehow don't hate even those with a passion as I hate T3 and T4.

Quote (Hicks)
I mean I'm sure it's gonna be a great movie, but I just feel like they're just trying to make money off something that hadn't been pursued in the Alien series, the Space Jockeys (the skeleton alien from the spaceship in Alien).

IMO its going to be crap like "Predator 3" was. I'm not even sure I want to see it. I like the premise that they'd like to discover the origins of the Xenos but I'm almost totally sure they'll screw it up. The age of watchable blockbusters is long gone sadly.

Quote (REG)
and yes aliens need to be scary again.

Won't work IMO. I liked very much the direction of Aliens because they realized that you can no longer make Alien a horror movie so they instead made a kick ass action movie out of it. Same with T2 BTW.

My perception is that space monsters and murderer robots don't cut it anymore for horror. Especially if you want to use cartoony CGI( not that rubber costumes are much better)

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 01:53 GMT | Message # 39

Friends

Quote (Blazisus)
Just a few things I'd like to add: IIRC in A3 and in some EU it was established that being impregnated has physical synthoms as the said person feels sick and weak and has trouble breathing( as the embryo grows in their chest) and has increased appetite( the thing consumes nutrients from the hosts body)

Well I'm disregarding Alien3 so whatever I saw in there I'm not using, especially the Alien taking features from the host thing. Cause in Alien, Kane showed no symptoms, we had no idea what was gonna happen. But yeah that is nice, the idea of someone keeping his/her impregnation secret, like in Blade 2 when the big guy with the hammer was bitten by a Reaper and he doesn't tell anyone before it's too late. But I also like surprise, not knowing who it is until it's too late.

Which by the way, I learned something like that in my film class about Suspense or Surprise, by Hitchcock. Knowing that something will happen and waiting for it or surprise where you never see it coming.

And no, I'm not gonna kill her love interest, I really take pity on the Newt character, she's lost so much I want her to have some kind of happiness after all this is over. But yeah characters we grow to love will die.

Quote (Blazisus)
IMO its going to be crap like "Predator 3" was. I'm not even sure I want to see it. I like the premise that they'd like to discover the origins of the Xenos but I'm almost totally sure they'll screw it up. The age of watchable blockbusters is long gone sadly.

I liked Predators, that movie was actually one of my inspirations, I heard they did something new with something old and they ignored its bad sequels. I said, "If Predator could ignore its bad sequels then why not Aliens." But my main inspirations was the original Aliens comics.

Quote (Blazisus)
Won't work IMO. I liked very much the direction of Aliens because they realized that you can no longer make Alien a horror movie so they instead made a kick ass action movie out of it. Same with T2 BTW.

I disagree, Aliens can be scary again if done right. I got a lot of great scenes with scary Aliens. Of course I don't scare easily, so I wouldn't know what is scary. In fact the reason why they're doing Prometheus is because they feel like the Aliens aren't scary anymore so they thought they'd do something different. I mean maybe some writers might have to make some adjustments to make it even scarier.

BTW, you know I already finished these scripts? And I think they're perfect. I worked really hard on them, I had to rewrite Unleashed at least 3 or 4 times, and Vengeance went through at least like 10 drafts. I mean I might make some changes, I'm open to suggestions. I mean the people I sell it too might change it up too. Who knows?

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 02:57 GMT | Message # 40

Friends

Quote (Hicks)
Well I'm disregarding Alien3 so whatever I saw in there I'm not using, especially the Alien taking features from the host thing. Cause in Alien, Kane showed no symptoms, we had no idea what was gonna happen.

Of course. I'm just saying that the general fluff grew to incorporate these pieces of lore into itself and my perception is that fans tend to be nitpicky about them( especially sci-fi fans) even if they don't like their source material . Mechanism changing is tricky to pull off in a satisfying way IMO.

Quote (Hicks)
But yeah characters we grow to love will die.

IMO thats very important. You can't take it too far( like you shouldn't kill fan favorites and characters people really like) but on the other hand I like my hearth ripped out of my chest by losing a loved character. In Alien 2 it was handled pretty well IMO. They killed Vasquez but they let Bishop, Hicks and Newt survive.

Quote (Hicks)
I liked Predators, that movie was actually one of my inspirations, I heard they did something new with something old and they ignored its bad sequels. I said, "If Predator could ignore its bad sequels then why not Aliens." But my main inspirations was the original Aliens comics.

Premise was good IMO but the execution failed. To each his own I guess.

Quote (Hicks)
I disagree, Aliens can be scary again if done right. I got a lot of great scenes with scary Aliens. Of course I don't scare easily, so I wouldn't know what is scary. In fact the reason why they're doing Prometheus is because they feel like the Aliens aren't scary anymore so they thought they'd do something different. I mean maybe some writers might have to make some adjustments to make it even scarier.

I'd be a very happy person if Alien could scare me just once more. But they'd need a lot of innovative ideas for that and IMO the industry lacks that nowadays. Maybe you can change that. I always hope for something better of course.

Quote (Hicks)
BTW, you know I already finished these scripts? And I think they're perfect. I worked really hard on them, I had to rewrite Unleashed at least 3 or 4 times, and Vengeance went through at least like 10 drafts. I mean I might make some changes, I'm open to suggestions. I mean the people I sell it too might change it up too. Who knows?

Of course the most important is that your work satisfies you first.

Its just that if you want to turn this into a full fledged movie then IMO a few feedback from fans and maybe other writers would be a good idea. It helps your work satisfy the most people possible. You won't satisfy everyone, thats impossible of course but you can try to do your best.

And I heard many times too that even famous filmmakers got mad because some idiot changed their script to make it more "sellable". IMO thats another thing you have to deal with if you want to turn it into a movie.

George Lucas could tell you a lot of stories about how the studio almost shut down SW because they didn't believe it'll be anything more than a failure just to give a very huge example.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 03:22 GMT | Message # 41

Friends

Quote (Blazius)
And I heard many times too that even famous filmmakers got mad because some idiot changed their script to make it more "sellable". IMO thats another thing you have to deal with if you want to turn it into a movie.

Case and point, Joss Whedon, not sure if you know this, but Joss Whedon wrote Alien Resurrection and they took it and messed it up. I've never read his original draft but Newt was gonna be the lead and not Ripley, and I'm sure the Newborn wasn't his idea because he said in an interview "I wrote many endings to that movie, none of them involved Sigourney Weaver making out with a pumpkin-headed thing." You know, I think if he had creative control of that movie and met Summer back then, he'd probably pick her for the role of Newt.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 03:39 GMT | Message # 42

Friends

Quote (Hicks)
You know, I think if he had creative control of that movie and met Summer back then, he'd probably pick her for the role of Newt.

Don't bet on it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/

Do you see Summer in the cast? Or Eliza Duskhu or Amy Acker or Nathan Fillion or Frank Kranz for that matter? Nope.

Don't misunderstand me, the guy is very good at what he is doing, I know that. But while his help could have made Summer as famous as she deserves he did nothing.

Quote (Hicks)
Case and point, Joss Whedon, not sure if you know this, but Joss Whedon wrote Alien Resurrection and they took it and messed it up. I've never read his original draft but Newt was gonna be the lead and not Ripley, and I'm sure the Newborn wasn't his idea because he said in an interview "I wrote many endings to that movie, none of them involved Sigourney Weaver making out with a pumpkin-headed thing."

I'm too convinced that that mess wasn't Joss' idea. He certainly proved that he is better than that numerous times. A4 feels sometimes like a bad fanfic written by a 12 years old. That movie was just wrong. Though I still like it more than T3 and T4 because at least it had a few nice scenes with Xenos killing people( that never gets old TBH)

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 03:54 GMT | Message # 43

Friends

Well, I'll have you know that, the crew of the Betty was actually a prototype crew for the crew of Serenity. Don't you think Elgyn was a little similar to Capt. Mal, or Johnner a little similar to Jane, or Call, a crew member with a past sounds a little similar to River? Now I haven't seen much of Firefly but that's what I took from it.

Even so, who do you think Summer, Dushku, Fillion, Acker, or Kranz would've played? Most of the key roles have already been taken by actors from the previous Marvel movies, except Hulk. He can't just replace them with his cast. What do you expect, replace Chris Evans with Nathan Fillion, or Scarlet Johansen with Eliza Dushku? I can't even think of a role Summer could play in the Avengers, and I consider her for every movie I think of. Avengers was a new chapter in the Marvel Studios movie canon so he couldn't control casting over any of them unless one of the actors dropped out.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 04:29 GMT | Message # 44

Friends

Guys, I mentioned before about a comic book trilogy that continued after Aliens with the adventures of Newt, Hicks, and eventually Ripley, they were written by Mark Verhieden who is a comic book writer and a TV writer.

Unfortunately, after the release of Alien3, Newt and Hicks were killed off so they rewrote the books with different names, Newt became Billie and Hicks became Wilks. Yet somehow they had another Ripley.

Anywho, these books are what inspired me, not by story but by idea. And I bring this up because, I just found the original copies, the un-reprinted ones, the ones with Newt and Hicks, not Billie and Wilks, and I just bought them online. Whooooo!!! Looking at those pictures of adult Newt reminds me of Summer.

Just so you know, I didn't rip them off, the stories are nothing alike. I just like the idea.

Date: Monday, 2012 May 07, 14:44 GMT | Message # 45

Friends

Does anyone feel like I'm saying too much about my script that might screw myself? Cause I'm serious about trying to get this made and I'm really talking with Michael Biehn.

But the film industry is built on secrecy and I feel like I've said WAY too much.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau vs. Aliens (Summer Glau: perfect star for an Aliens movie)
Page 3 of 10«12345910»
Search: