menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau branching out into non sci-fi genre, good or bad
Summer Glau branching out into non sci-fi genre, good or bad
How do you feel about Summer Glau branching out into non sci-fi genre?
chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 22 Mar 2012, 15:59 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
It seems Summer Glau is looking after non genre roles recently; though most of her fans are die-hard sci-fi fans and discovered her in Firefly/Serenity or Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles to name a few.

Summer's recent guest appearance in Grey's Anatomy showed that some of her fans were not ready to follow her in the drama genre. What's your opinion about her alledged branching out and are you ready to follow her or not; take on the poll!

Since some answers are not exclusive from another, you have the possibility to choose several answer; as usual, feel free to argument your choice by leaving a message .

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

The1RussterDate: Thursday, 22 Mar 2012, 16:38 | Message # 2
Group: Writer
I'm glad Summer is taking on new roles in other dramas. Her talent is too awesome for any one genre. However, I have reached the point in my life where I am sick to death of the typical cop/lawyer/medical dramas. Every so often you get a show that stands out in one of those genres, but it quickly falls into a formula. There are only four dramas I currently watch on TV, Castle, Alcatraz, Person of Interest, and Fringe. Sometimes I can't even watch them because they've gotten tired or rely on formula.

Maybe I've gotten too cynical, but that's my opinion. Who knows, maybe it will change, but even before TSCC was on the air, my TV viewing was falling. TSCC actually brought me back to the TV. I'm tired of the same old thing presented to us time and time again as something new when its just another cop/lawyer/medical drama with different actors, different location, and maybe a new hook to draw viewers in. My thought on TV programming is, you can plant all the flowers you want in a pile of manure, but you ain't gonna change what it is. a great big pile of shit.

Sorry I might have got off topic there. I truly want Summer Glau to succeed in whatever role she plays now or in the future. But as much as I adore her, my loyalty will not be a guarantee of viewership. Which is why I'm looking forward to Scent of the Missing. It looks like a show worth watching.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 22 Mar 2012, 18:10 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
I don't care in what Summer is playing as long as I can see her playing. I'll watch everything in which she is in because she alone makes movies and shows worth watching even if I don't like anything else in them, just her.

Its also a truth that sci-fi is a sinking ship which won't bring success to anyone unless its a very high profile thing like Star Wars or Avatar.

GA made me a bit concerned though. I feel that outside sci-fi nobody cares for Summer and she only got a pathetic filler role which in itself wouldn't be a problem but I feel that all might be in vain because while it was a more mainstream role, nobody cares for filler roles apparently. Seriously, nobody even noticing her staggering moment in the last GA ep? I don't claim that I understand the whole industry, maybe we are on the right track( certainly better than with another cancelled sci-fi) but its not very apparent right now( also we have a relatively "thigh schedule" overally)

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 13:21 | Message # 4
Let me copy/paste what i said in another thread :

I guess her two strong roles in Firefly and TSCC have completely overwhelmed her other performances; in this regard, i think this is interesting to differentiate the point of view of her casual fans, her hard core fans (like the SG Wki members) and the producers's.

It's clear that the general audience remember Summer only for her fight scenes in Firefly/Serenity and in TSCC; but since they're more numerous, it's possible that producers, who want to attract as much viewers as possible, have a tendancy to typecast her and thus forget her performances in non genre shows.

Josh Friedman paid the price for not following the main stream and trying to offer in TSCC a family drama and not a terminator tv show.

Of course i can only guess what producers think but i know exactly how Summer is perceived among the general audience by monitoring what is said about her on twitter; for example, lots of people were expecting to see nurse Emily kick the doctors ass River Tam's style (of course this is said in jest but it reflects what they think).

This is very difficult to fight those massive trends. Obviously, Summer is trying to do it and i think the Summer Glau Wiki should support her.

Assuming that the people answering that poll are hard core Summer fans, it shows clearly that a large proportion is not going to follow her in non sci-fi shows but more interesting, we are aware of her previous roles in non genre series, hence the small score of the "Summer Glau has never been as good as in sci-fi, she should stick to that kind of roles!" option; i'm convinced that if this poll was published in a general entertainment site, a majority of people would have voted for this option.

XxDeathStarxXDate: Friday, 23 Mar 2012, 18:29 | Message # 5
I don't know why some people think that Summer is branching out into non sci-fi genre. It's not like she hasn't done non sci-fi shows and movies before. Or does someone think that Cold Case, Sleepover, C.S.I., The Unit, The Big Bang Theory, Good Morning Rabbit and Deadly Honeymoon were sci-fi?

She was in 17 shows or movies in 2002-2010. Seven of them were clearly non sci-fi. That makes the percentage of non sci-fi shows and movies 41 % in 2002-2010. So has something changed in 2011-2012? The Cape, The Human Preservation Project, Alphas and Knights of Badassdom are sci-fi or similar, at least to me, and The Legend of Hell's Gate, Grey's Anatomy and Scent of the Missing are not. That makes the percentage of non sci-fi shows and movies 43 % in 2011-2012, which means that her participation in non sci-fi shows and movies has increased from 41% to 43%! OMG! All the sci-fi fans are doomed! biggrin

And if that's not enough, how about what Summer said herself a couple of months ago in NY Comic Con? The interviewer said: "It (sci-fi) seems to be a world you're very comfortable in." And Summer answered: "I think it's because of the characters. I feel like the characters are so rich, and Natalia is very complex, fascinating woman, and when I read the script I just, I was drawn to her. So that's what happened in the past too, it's not something I've, mastermind plan or anything, it's just what I'm drawn to."

So the 'mystery' has been solved! Summer is not branching out into anything, she's just picking up the roles she's drawn to, whether they're in a sci-fi show or something else.

I'd like Summer to do sci-fi as much as possible, because that's where the only shows worth watching are. Everything else is usually total crap. For some reason I liked Deadly Honeymoon though. Obviously I still watch all the clips of Summer's performance in all the crappy shows (=non sci-fi) too, and enjoy them very much, but I've absolutely no interest in watching those episodes in full.

When you've played characters like Cameron and River, which are simply the best I've ever seen in TV or movies, I think that it's pretty much impossible to find a character that would compare to them in a non sci-fi show. Her next big thing will therefore be in sci-fi, that's for sure.

Summer Glau is divine!

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 24 Mar 2012, 01:05 | Message # 6
Quote (chrisdvanne)
This is very difficult to fight those massive trends. Obviously, Summer is trying to do it and i think the Summer Glau Wiki should support her.

Assuming that the people answering that poll are hard core Summer fans, it shows clearly that a large proportion is not going to follow her in non sci-fi shows but more interesting, we are aware of her previous roles in non genre series, hence the small score of the "Summer Glau has never been as good as in sci-fi, she should stick to that kind of roles!" option; i'm convinced that if this poll was published in a general entertainment site, a majority of people would have voted for this option.

I perfectly agree that we should support her 100% in this change. Remember, she'd need any kind of support now more than ever!

I'm actually concerned about the tendency that not even her hardcore fans are willing to watch her in anything else than sci-fi. If even we forget about her then what do we expect from others? The silence about her performance is a testament of this IMO. I remember the reviewer and fan acclaim she earned after Alphas. And now she doesn't get even a mention even after giving exactly the same quality of work as before?

People should remember that Summer is still Summer even outside sci-fi. The emotional scene in GA actually reminded me of the same tense brilliance as Summer did as River. She is still the woman we loved and admired in those shows, yet we abandon her just because she doesn't play in sci-fi? She'd deserve more IMO.

Yes it is a massive challenge to fight the trend but I'm very concerned that without fan support and some sort of help from above she'll even succeed. This GA event didn't make me optimistic and it hurts to see this happening.

Quote (XxDeathStarxX)
I don't know why some people think that Summer is branching out into non sci-fi genre. It's not like she hasn't done non sci-fi shows and movies before. Or does someone think that Cold Case, Sleepover, C.S.I., The Unit, The Big Bang Theory, Good Morning Rabbit and Deadly Honeymoon were sci-fi?

Yes, she did a lot of non-sci-fi work already so I wonder why is that people start to abandon her now? A lot of us watched those movies, shows solely because she was in it despite they weren't sci-fi. Or even if they were sci-fi but we wouldn't have seen it ever without Summer. I actually saw Initation of Sarah like four times now despite that it was made for infantile teenager girls( call me a fanatic if you want).

So I think if she actually wants to do more of these roles we should support and follow her still despite our genre preferences so it won't be in vain.

Quote (XxDeathStarxX)
I'd like Summer to do sci-fi as much as possible, because that's where the only shows worth watching are. Everything else is usually total crap. For some reason I liked Deadly Honeymoon though. Obviously I still watch all the clips of Summer's performance in all the crappy shows (=non sci-fi) too, and enjoy them very much, but I've absolutely no interest in watching those episodes in full.

When you've played characters like Cameron and River, which are simply the best I've ever seen in TV or movies, I think that it's pretty much impossible to find a character that would compare to them in a non sci-fi show. Her next big thing will therefore be in sci-fi, that's for sure.

I agree on that sci-fi is the best genre and the pinnacle of art either in acting , writing or anything else. However sci-fi is not mainstream and nobody seems to give a crap about sci-fi( and nobody wants to pay money for it either). Therefore nobody gives crap about sci-fi actors either. Switching genre seems like a good idea in itself.

The question is IMO if Summer actually has that option to switch genres all things considered.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

REGDate: Monday, 30 Apr 2012, 08:10 | Message # 7
i will watch Summer in anything she does. though i became a fan of her through sci-fi shows and i am a big fan of the sci-fi genre, i want to see her do non sci-fi roles too. i haven't seen her on GA or The Unit, etc. but i will be looking at those and other non sci-fi she has done, since i am a hardcore fan and i want to see her talent outside of the genre that she is best known for.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

GaogaDate: Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012, 11:58 | Message # 8
I like Summer from deep heart, her sci-fi roles are great. wink

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat."
terminator model

GargarosDate: Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012, 17:37 | Message # 9
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Summer's recent guest apperance in Grey's Anatomy showed that some of her fans were not ready to follow her in the drama genre.

I'm ready to follow Summer even in hell

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 08 Sep 2012, 12:24 | Message # 10
I'm embarrassed right now because i don't know if i should include Summer's Christmas movie "Help for the Holidays" in the sci-fi or genre or not. wacko

After much consideration, i think it definitively falls into the non sci-fi category, even if Summer Glau plays an elf; the network, Hallmark, and the topic, a Christmas movie, with all the drama and cheese inevitably attached to it, makes that this movie targets a mainstream audience and not hard core sci-fi fans like you and me wink

Don't forget to read the latest news on 'Help for the Holidays.

ThierryDate: Saturday, 08 Sep 2012, 17:32 | Message # 11
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I'm embarrassed right now because i don't know if i should include Summer's Christmas movie "Help for the Holidays" in the sci-fi or genre or not.

Let's say that it is a fantasy movie....
In "usual" thesauri, fantasy is a narrower word of SF and if I remember good, it is also in this way in ISO's thesauri. (International Standard Organisation).
See Farlex thesaurus

A solution would be to have the genre : "SF and fantasy".

Sorry for the reply which may seem a little technical, but documentation is my job in real life.... wink

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Sep 2012, 07:59 | Message # 12
Quote (Thierry)
Let's say that it is a fantasy movie....

I strongly disagree with that classification.
If 'Help for the Holidays' includes fantasy elements, like the presence of an elf or even Santa, you completely forget the context of the movie. It is made specifically for Christmas, which means it targets a large family audience and not fans of fantasy.
More, we all know the fantasy aspects of the movie will be completely overwhelmed by the drama and the family elements and the Christmas values.

IMDb has it classified in the "Family" genre, just like another Christmas movie by Hallmark channel, 'A Christmas Wish', that doesn't include supernatural elements.

Another Hallmark movie that has definitively supernatural elements, 'Chasing Leprechauns' (2012) starring Heroes's Adrian Pasdar, is also classified in the 'Family' genre. A Pasdar fansite has it under romantic comedy.

ThierryDate: Monday, 10 Sep 2012, 08:56 | Message # 13
Quote (chrisdvanne)
If 'Help for the Holidays' includes fantasy elements, like the presence of an elf or even Santa, you completely forget the context of the movie. It is made specifically for Christmas, which means it targets a large family audience and not fans of fantasy.

That's always the same problem for classification.... There is always (interesting) debates... But for me, the context of the movies says nothing about its genre : I mean that a "Christmas movie" says nothing about its content, excepted for whom it is made for and the time of the release. But nothing about the style, the content, the kind of plot or the nature of the screenplay.
In that sense, a "comedy movie", a "SF movie", a "fantasy movie" , a "drama movie" may be a "Christmas movie". That't the reaason that for me, the content is a more important criteria to categorize the movies than the release month and the kind of audience they are made for.

I would consider the term "Christmas movie" as a "secondary classification term"....

Even if the "fantasy genre" is not very typical in HFTH - there are some objections I agree with - I think it says more about the content of the movie instead of "Christmas Movie".

But it is interesting to notice that IMBd uses the "Family" as the only genre for HFTH. It would be more accurate to associate the "Family" term with other terms which say more about its style, this for the reasons I explained above.

Message edited by Thierry - Monday, 10 Sep 2012, 09:20

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Sep 2012, 09:46 | Message # 14
May i remind you that IMDb's data are filled in by users, even if it's the producers in Help for the Holidays's case; and not by professionals like you, who refers to international norms. That one is for you.

IMDb has Hallmark's 'A Christmas Wish' (no fantasy elements in this case) under :

Genres: Comedy | Drama | Family
Plot Keywords: Christmas

Which implies that 'Christmas' is secondary classification term, as you said. That's another one for you.

A reference movie would be Groundhog Day (1993) starring Bill Murray and Andie McDowell

Genres: Comedy | Drama | Fantasy | Romance

If it has a strong fantasy background, the supernatural is just an excuse to emphasize on the romance between the two lead characters and to send a message about the meaning of life.

Similarly, the drama and family plots in Help for the Holidays prevail over fantasy elements, which is why, as a non professional, i claim it is not a fantasy movie.

FYI, i have submitted the word "Fantasy" in the genre section for Help for the Holidays; if IMDb editors ask me to back up my submission, i shall refer to your posts biggrin

ThierryDate: Monday, 10 Sep 2012, 11:10 | Message # 15
Quote (chrisdvanne)
May i remind you that IMDb's data are filled in by users, even if it's the producers in Help for the Holidays's case; and not by professionals like you, who refers to international norms. That one is for you.

Thx for this information, Chris, I didn't know this.
Yes, that's true that movies mixes the genres, the examples you give are correct. It is the reason that there are many ways of categorizations, and honestly, that's sometimes a real mess wink But that's another topic, a little far away from Summer's works smile

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau branching out into non sci-fi genre, good or bad
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: