[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 2«12
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau Aesthetics (General Disscusion about Summer's Looks)
Summer Glau Aesthetics
BlaziusDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 02:30 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
Interestingly this recent photo of Summer shows her again with a "younger", I'd say Cameron or even River era face. She doesn't look that "hot" in a more womanly sense like we perceived recently but her more childish cute and sweet side dominates again IMO( I also like the jacket very much).

As I said her appearance seemingly changes between photos but this one surprised me and stroke me as a younger looking Summer for some reason.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

termi-ninja-torDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 05:17 | Message # 17
Quote (Blazius)
Interestingly this recent photo of Summer shows her again with a "younger", I'd say Cameron or even River era face. She doesn't look that "hot" in a more womanly sense like we perceived recently but her more childish cute and sweet side dominates again IMO( I also like the jacket very much).

As I said her appearance seemingly changes between photos but this one surprised me and stroke me as a younger looking Summer for some reason.

I agree that her expression makes her look young. (Actually, I think she looks a little zonked-out in this pic.) But to me her face looks more like the face in post #4 than any of the faces in post #2.

AlexDate: Friday, 16 Dec 2011, 06:12 | Message # 18
Group: Bloggers
This is a really interesting and tough topic and I admire how much thought and depth all of you put into these discussions.

I have only begun to appreciate Summer Glau in this last year and I am certainly no expert when it comes to visuals. But, the question about Summer's aesthetics is very interesting as she does not, to my eye, fall readily into any current conventional type of beauty nor can I think of a set of principles that I could use to "measure" and rate her beauty. The closest I can come to comparing her to anyone is to consider Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn and even then, it is not a strong resemblance. Another actress that comes to mind is Sophia Loren, beautiful to watch but definitely a n illustration of the principle that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I don't think Summer looks like Loren but like Loren, Summer defies simple categorization.

What really grabs me, visually, is her tremendous capacity for expression which appears to be drawn from a rich pallet of subtle and nuanced elements that somehow she combines into a beautiful and fluid portrayal of the character that she brings to life. In this capacity, she reminds me of Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Judy Dench, and others who are also not conventional beauties but who are a delight to watch and who are very good at creating characters that are interesting and believable.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 17 Dec 2011, 18:01 | Message # 19
Quote (Alex)
What really grabs me, visually, is her tremendous capacity for expression which appears to be drawn from a rich pallet of subtle and nuanced elements that somehow she combines into a beautiful and fluid portrayal of the character that she brings to life.

Indeed! Just look at every role she played so far. If somebody would convert the footages to pictures that'd show that she uses a wide range of tiny expressions with her face and body. A little smile on the edge of her mouth, a slightly different pose of her body, they make a difference. Or nice touches like when she scratches her face as Skyler sending the message that she is a roqueish girl who doesn't care how well mannered she looks like.

These are small things which are sending a message to the audience about the emotional status of the character along with the spoken lines creating a strong connection with the viewer and makes the scenes more powerful.

This technique is missing with most actors nowadays and this is a reason why Summer is so refreshing to watch.

Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I agree that her expression makes her look young. (Actually, I think she looks a little zonked-out in this pic.) But to me her face looks more like the face in post #4 than any of the faces in post #2.

Yeah, its just her expression probably, but maybe this indicates that the theory that we see her more mature recently because of her expressions matured somehow may be somewhat valid. She can look younger with a less mature expression so the change shouldn't be that severe physically.

termi-ninja-torDate: Saturday, 17 Dec 2011, 19:23 | Message # 20
I have long felt that Summer's face seems capable of a wide range of expressions, and she can look very different depending on what expression she has chosen.

In this regard, she reminds me of Jim Carrey, who I consider the all-time champ of facial expressionism. (Not suggesting that Summer should go into comedy like Jim, though.)

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 17 Dec 2011, 23:49 | Message # 21
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
In this regard, she reminds me of Jim Carrey, who I consider the all-time champ of facial expressionism. (Not suggesting that Summer should go into comedy like Jim, though.)

Great personalities in comedy indeed used to have an unusually wide range of facial expressions. Jim Carrey, Louis de Funes both had for example and they used it extensively to achieve the required effect. I think too that Summer is like them a bit but I like that she isn't a humorist.

She proves that these unusual abilities are required in every genre not just in comedy to give an outstanding performance. In fact she is more used to help sad and disturbing characters and situations portrayal with this technique. I think that its overally not genre dependent since the same mechanic which makes these comedians funny( AKA little messages sent by body language) obviously works too when somebody wants to express sadness or anger or despair.

Only the message changes. So maybe many of the comedians would have been great in dramatic and tragic roles too if they had a chance. Luckily Summer started in these kind of roles and showed her outstanding skills rather than got stuck in comedy( which is maybe even less reputable than sci-fi IMO)

Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
I have long felt that Summer's face seems capable of a wide range of expressions, and she can look very different depending on what expression she has chosen.

I noticed that she even uses a wide range of expressions even when she is herself, during an interview even during the interviews when she is more relaxed. I think its an instinct for her, thats how she communicates. You can feel perfectly even then how she feels and what she is saying exactly because of it.

She was born with this ability I think. So it makes perfect sense that she is such a perfect actress and why she became a ballerina. Its her way to express herself with her body rather than with words( although her voice is beautiful too but she doesn't prefer to use it that much for self expressing I guess as her body)

Message edited by Blazius - Sunday, 18 Dec 2011, 00:01

REGDate: Monday, 30 Apr 2012, 08:53 | Message # 22
i think the same as what a lot of you have said on this topic. she has that brilliant talent for different facial expressions. and she also conveys emotion well through her facial and body expressions.
the only real difference i see from her teen years to now is that she looks more mature but at the same time still retains that innocence that we all love and adore smile

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau Aesthetics (General Disscusion about Summer's Looks)
Page 2 of 2«12
Search: