menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau Aesthetics (General Disscusion about Summer's Looks)
Summer Glau Aesthetics
FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 05:54 | Message # 1
Group: Friends
Rather than have these discussions splattered through out the other threads, I thought it was time to make this thread to give them a home. Various discussions of different concerns - Comparing Summer during different time periods, Comparing the physical portrayal of Summer's characters, Discussing preferences, etc. etc.

I find no reason to make it particularly specific, just any such related discussions up for grabs (unless you want revenge on me for de-railing the thread you made, now is your time to shine wink ).

I guess I will start it off on the discussion that was taking place in the "Who is your Firefly crush" thread, it concerned the nature of the changes between Summer's pre - Serenity period and after. We were comparing River Tam pictures to Cameron pictures for reference, but this was decided to note be very pragmatic, due to the bias inherent to the in character pictures.

Here is some post - Serenity non character photos --

I am having difficulty finding some pre - Serenity non in character photographs (which makes plenty-o-sense) for comparison perhaps someone can help me out here.

Side note, I feel like a complete hypocrite creating this thread, I try to focus on Summer's talents, personality, and well being rather than looks. Hopefully there is no misunderstanding, I do not mean to be vain, but since the subject keeps coming up I thought there ought to be a thread. This is not to say that Summer should not be complemented on how good she looks too, but everyone can already see that, it is more important people know that she is a genuinely good actor and person, not just eye-candy.

Second and last side note, if you got a better thread title let me know, that was the best I could do.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 06:12

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 07:14 | Message # 2
Here's a non-character pic from the Television Critics Association (TCA) After Party by Fox at the Sky Bar in July, 2002, before Firefly first aired (in September 2002). I guess the filming for Firefly was well underway by then. This pic is therefore from close to the same time as the Firefly interview (Summer's Firefly Interview):

Summer Glau HQ 2002

--------------------

Here's a pic from the Starfury Fusion Con in London in April/May 2004, after Firefly aired in 2002 and 2003 but before Serenity was released in 2005:

Starfury Fusion London

--------------------

And here's a pic from Grand Slam XIV: The Sci-Fi Summit, Pasadena CA, in March 2006, after Serenity was released in 2005:

Grand Slam

--------------------
So these three pics are from 2002, 2004, and 2006. They are before, between, and after Firefly and Serenity were released, and they are not-in-character shots. Can you make any observations about how her appearance changed?

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 07:35

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 07:43 | Message # 3
I am not sure, even when in character with the difference in appearance emphasized between young to mature I could not tell the difference particularly. It is very subtle but it is there. We should get some pictures up in the 2010's then maybe we could really tell the difference.

Out of character the difference is not as obvious to me as the differences between in character River and Cameron, being in the character can really change it a lot. Even the Serenity posters have River looking far more mature than River does in the actual movie. It is an enigma, I just can not pinpoint the difference. If only we had a facial feature expert or whatever it would be.

The first picture you have there termi-ninja-tor is the only one I would say is strikingly different from the others. There are not many pics out of character from that early.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 07:46

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 08:16 | Message # 4
Quote (FordStaff)
We should get some pictures up in the 2010's then maybe we could really tell the difference.

OK. Try this one -- it's from the NY Comic Con event two months ago in October 2011:

New York Comic-Con

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 08:21 | Message # 5
That is better, if we compare the really early pictures with this one, it is more obvious. I will do no good trying to describe any specifics, I will leave that to someone with better eyes for details. You were really good about describing her accent in that one thread, I was hoping you would be equally observant here. I certainly will be of no help.

termi-ninja-torDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 08:27 | Message # 6
Quote (FordStaff)
That is better, if we compare the really early pictures with this one, it is more obvious. I will do no good trying to describe any specifics, I will leave that to someone with better eyes for details. You were really good about describing her accent in that one thread, I was hoping you would be equally observant here. I certainly will be of no help.

I really don't know what to say either.

Only -- that she now looks older and thinner. (duh)

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 08:37 | Message # 7
Only -- that she now looks older and thinner. (duh)

Hehe, that is about all I can get out of it also. Maybe it really is that simple, if not hopefully someone else is gonna be a bit more nuanced.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:23 | Message # 8
Group: Administrators
In order to spread the debate, i posted that picture here and there on the net, asking "which one you prefer" :

Click on image for larger size
Summer Glau young and older

There are different opinions so far, kinda like here.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

XxDeathStarxXDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:28 | Message # 9
I think that Summer's face looks pretty much the same, at least from the year 2005 to 2010, as shown in the pictures below. I tried to find two pictures in which she would've had almost the same expression, make up, hair, lightning etc, and switched both pictures into gray scale. My intention was to discard as much noise as possible. It's very hard to compare two pictures of her, and decide whether her face has actually changed in some way, if the setting isn't exactly the same.

From these two pictures I couldn't even say in which one she's older, if I didn't already know it. Put the first one left and the second one right, (keep them equally sized) and tell me if you can see any differences between them. I'd really like to know if you can.

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/Ot4e6N3P8I1FeHOD4wW_4Q124253

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/RsLb8aiZUgKFs76fZkpipQ586992

There's no comparable pictures from the year 2002 or 2003, so I'm not sure whether her face would've looked the same then too. Based on the pictures I've seen, she might have been more 'baby-faced' then, but it's pretty hard to say. It's also true that mental maturity shows on the face even though the physical changes would be minor, and her expressions and mannerisms might make her look 'hotter' and more mature.

To me Summer is hot, whether she's the younger or the older version. The earliest photo in which I found her extremely hot, is from the Serenity photoshoot. I only hope that she would've been alone in it. biggrin My favorite photo of her is the beach shot from the Esquire magazine though, so you might say that I prefer the older version. But it's impossible to say, because there's no comparable photos from her earlier days.

Her face has that look of innocent beauty in this one, which I find absolutely adorable! kiss

Summer Glau is divine!

Message edited by XxDeathStarxX - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:51

XxDeathStarxXDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:38 | Message # 10
Quote (chrisdvanne)
In order to spread the debate, i posted that picture here and there on the net, asking "which one you prefer" :

Click on image for larger size
Summer Glau young and older

There are different opinions so far, kinda like here.

I like the first one a little better, but it's not about her age, it's about her expression. I prefer a softer expression rather than a colder one. It can surely be more artistic, but it just doesn't work that well for me. If there was a picture of her with her heart-rendering smile to choose form, it would beat both, no matter if it was the younger or the older one.

Summer Glau is divine!

Message edited by XxDeathStarxX - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:46

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 18:52 | Message # 11
Group: Administrators
Quote (XxDeathStarxX)
From these two pictures I couldn't even say in which one she's older, if I didn't already know it. Put the first one left and the second one right, (keep them equally sized) and tell me if you can see any differences between them. I'd really like to know if you can.

It's hard to point out one thing specifically but there is slight differences on every part of her body, not only her face, that makes obvious she has aged and become thinner in the second picture: more than one element; it's the sum of all elements that gives a general impression of aging.

I will try to list some off the differences taken from the first one:

• The cheeks are more full
  • The neck is larger
  • The shoulders are broaders
  • The arms are probably bigger
  • The chest is also bigger
  • The lower body looks probably accordingly

The differences are slight and i can't really see them but the overall impression doen't lie.

Most people take weight when they age but this is not the case for Summer; this is how her body works and it's mostly due to genetics and the fact that she has lost all the muscles she gained from her ballet years (dancers are athletes); i don't want to go deeper in the explanations because it would be inappropriate.
All i know is that Summer has a thin frame and most people who see her in convention are surprised to see how petite buit she is, but all say at the same time she looks perfectly healthy that way.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

XxDeathStarxXDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 19:13 | Message # 12
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Quote (XxDeathStarxX)

It's hard to point out one thing specifically but there is slight differences on every part of her body, not only her face, that makes obvious she has aged and become thinner in the second picture: more than one element; it's the sum of all elements that gives a general impression of aging.

I will try to list some off the differences taken from the first one:

• The cheeks are more full
  • The neck is larger
  • The shoulders are broaders
  • The arms are probably bigger
  • The chest is also bigger
  • The lower body looks probably accordingly

The differences are slight and i can't really see them but the overall impression doen't lie.

Most people take weight when they age but this is not the case for Summer; this is how her body works and it's mostly due to genetics and the fact that she has lost all the muscles she gained from her ballet years (dancers are athletes); i don't want to go deeper in the explanations because it would be inappropriate.
All i know is that Summer has a thin frame and most people who see her in convention are surprised to see how petite buit she is, but all say at the same time she looks perfectly healthy that way.

You're right that she has become thinner, but it's very interesting to me that if she got more weight, her face would probably look almost exactly the same as in 2005. So it's a matter of weight and not age. Even now I could believe that the older picture had been taken today, but you're right that her cheeks might be slightly more full in the first picture because of the weight issue.

Summer Glau is divine!

Message edited by XxDeathStarxX - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 19:14

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 21:43 | Message # 13
Quote (XxDeathStarxX)
I think that Summer's face looks pretty much the same, at least from the year 2005 to 2010, as shown in the pictures below. I tried to find two pictures in which she would've had almost the same expression, make up, hair, lightning etc, and switched both pictures into gray scale. My intention was to discard as much noise as possible. It's very hard to compare two pictures of her, and decide whether her face has actually changed in some way, if the setting isn't exactly the same.

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/Ot4e6N3P8I1FeHOD4wW_4Q124253

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/RsLb8aiZUgKFs76fZkpipQ586992

There's no comparable pictures from the year 2002 or 2003, so I'm not sure whether her face would've looked the same then too. Based on the pictures I've seen, she might have been more 'baby-faced' then, but it's pretty hard to say. It's also true that mental maturity shows on the face even though the physical changes would be minor, and her expressions and mannerisms might make her look 'hotter' and more mature.

To me Summer is hot, whether she's the younger or the older version. The earliest photo in which I found her extremely hot, is from the Serenity photoshoot. I only hope that she would've been alone in it. My favorite photo of her is the beach shot from the Esquire magazine though, so you might say that I prefer the older version. But it's impossible to say, because there's no comparable photos from her earlier days.

Her face has that look of innocent beauty in this one, which I find absolutely adorable!

I tend to agree with this view. There isn't really that much difference in her appearances, or barely noticable which may be a reason why we couldn't even put into words that difference. I'd also like to point out that I found photos about Summer very misleading. I don't know how to put this but she looks different in every single photo which I've seen about her. Maybe because of the wide range of her facial expressions?

She looks more consistent in videos IMO so maybe we should compare some videos too. If you watch them closely BTW then I think in videos about early River and late Orwell for example she has pretty much the same features.

Quote (chrisdvanne)

Maybe its indeed the weight. Indeed Summer looks a bit bonier than earlier.
And we can view it as a more mature look because more rounded features are generally attributed to youth why bonier generally means older( muscled and a bit fatty registrated as healthy by human instincts) .

You don't have to worry about that the fact that she is so petite is a sign of illness. Its genetics indeed. She can never be fat or anything no matter how many food she consumes. The girl I knew and had similar features as Summer was the same. She was a little girl but ate insane ammount of food.

Breakfast then 3-4 sandwich and sweets between breakfast and lunch then lunch then 3-4 sandwich and sweets in the afternoon then dinner. And she was still so skinny that she seems like somebody who is starving.

So don't think Summer puts that many effort to make her body look as perfect as we see. Through even she needs to remain in shape because while she won't get fat she still needs to work out somehow to have muscles.

As you said maybe she does not take that that seriously as before and muscle loss is what we observe.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 21:53 | Message # 14

As you said maybe she does not take that that seriously as before and muscle loss is what we observe.

Hard to say how much she still works keeping in shape, but I think a safe assumption is that her muscularity would peek during her training for Serenity, and will probably never be matched.

She looks more consistent in videos IMO so maybe we should compare some videos too. If you watch them closely BTW then I think in videos about early River and late Orwell for example she has pretty much the same features.

She is still the same person, it is only an aging process of 10 years, perhaps we were just over-analyzing. The differences are very slight, I am leaning towards the simple explanation of slight aging, and different fat and muscle amounts. The two pictures XxDeathStarxX provided were nearly identical except for the age, and any difference is almost non-existent. Videos probably would be a good idea for comparison.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 21:54

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 04:28 | Message # 15

Here are two from two very different "Summer eras"

Whats automatically apparent is that she used far less makeup during the River era than later and that is a huge contributing factor IMO which makes her appear older now. Actually its apparent on the photos too but the videos gave me the idea nontheless.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 08 Dec 2011, 04:34

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau Aesthetics (General Disscusion about Summer's Looks)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: