menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture
chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013, 11:37 | Message # 121
Group: Administrators
Summer Glau as Cameron in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is featured in craveonline's article: TV’s Top 10 Almost Human Moments

Aliens, demons, androids and robots are everywhere in television, and these characters who often end up being fan favorites as we watch them stumble through trying to understand humanity as they attempt to emulate real people.

Summer Glau - TSCC Production Stills & BTS Pictures - Season 1
Watch more TSCC production stills in the Gallery.

Here are Cameron's moments:

Cameron Claims a 9mm
Why do we humans “call shotgun?” I don't know how it originated, but it's easy to forget how that phrase sounds to someone who doesn't know it.

On "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," John, Sarah, and their heroic Terminator, Cameron decide to go on a field trip. So when John “calls shotgun,” Cameron calls dibs on the 9mm.

Cameron Learns How to Talk to Girls
In the bathroom at school, a girl asks Cameron that horrible question no one wants to be asked: “Does this make me look fat?”

Being a terminator, she takes a look and answers, “Yes.” The girl gets mad, asking what her problem is to which she confusingly replies, “You asked.”

Lesson for everyone here is anyone who says “yes” to that question must be a robot.

Cameron Tells the Truth, and Nothing But the Truth
It seems like only humans get the concept of lying, since non-humans tend to tell the truth and the whole truth, no matter how brutal it is

Cameron's classmate sees her closing the trunk to a car and asks if it's hers. She says, “No. It belongs to the guy I killed and stuffed in the trunk.”

Not really knowing how to react to that, the guy kind of laughs it off like she's telling a joke while she gives him a stone-faced stare.

Source: TV’s Top 10 Almost Human Moments at craveonline

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 01 Jan 2014, 20:03 | Message # 122
Summer Glau's impact on the sci-fi genre is dicussed in episode 44 of Faetalists, a podcast dedicated to scifi and the supernatural in television & film.

In episode 44 titled "Genre Women We Love" posted on August 2nd, 2013, podcasters Wayne and Dave discuss 10 genre actresses that have made a significant contribution in the fields of science fiction, horror, fantasy or the supernatural. Incredibly enough, they didn't argue over who deserves the title of First Lady of Scifi. How the heck did that happen?

The part on Summer Glau starts at 1:00:06 and ends at 1:07:20

Link: Episode 44 Genre Women We Love

About the podcasters Dave:
Dave discovered The X-Files in 1993, and there's been no turning back as he's immersed himself in all things science fiction and supernatural. He also co-hosts Liber8: A Continuum Podcast with Mike and Dave and has become involved with TV Talk, hosting discussion shows on Revolution, The Killing and Defiance. Before getting into podcasting, he fancied himself a bass player and favors Ernie Ball Music Man instruments even though his practice time has dwindled.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 31 Jan 2014, 13:55 | Message # 123
10 Sexiest Female Artificial Intelligences, by Xander Markham at What Culture

10 Sexiest Female Artificial Intelligences

DA DUN-DUN DA DUN! DA DUN-DUN DA DUN! A lot of people were down on it, but I loved The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Lena Headey did terrific work adding maternal graces to Linda Hamilton’s military girl template, and the show was brave enough to occasionally delve into the philosophical underpinnings of time travel, whether life is defined by conscience or self-consciousness, and if murder and immoral actions can be justifiable in pursuit of the long-term salvation of millions. There was also kick-ass action by the metric ton, which was nice.
Playing a reprogrammed Terminator trying to make sense of the conflict between her origins and her orders, Summer Glau’s mesmerising looks, native Texan fused with German, Scottish and Irish ancestry, create a perfect contrast between her slender frame and physical elegance – Glau is a classically trained ballerina who became an actress after an injury ended her dance career – and the cold-eyed stare of an emotionless killer. She’s what River Tam would have been if the Alliance had succeeded (for those wondering: see Joss Whedon’s Firefly) and an interesting variation on the bluntly tough images the Terminators have otherwise adopted to date. Even the Terminatrix (urgh) from Rise Of The Machines (urgh) was designed solely for combat efficiency, despite an ability to inflate her breasts (urgh), whereas Glau’s Cameron has the ability to express limited human characteristics and create conflicted feelings in poor John Connor, whose adolescence was probably difficult enough before the Machines started creating robo-babes.
And who wouldn’t be torn: she’s a cyborg assassin who looks like Summer Glau, enjoys wearing leather and whose only goal in life is to protect you. That sodding Connor gets all the breaks.

robboDate: Saturday, 01 Feb 2014, 01:33 | Message # 124
Group: Friends
# 123  Great article. when you look back at TSCC "That sodding Connor gets all the breaks" I have to admit he was one Jammy John Connor, having Cameron watching his back when the going got tough, what more could you ask for to protect you. biggrin

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 05 Feb 2014, 18:19 | Message # 125
The Big Bang Theory’s greatest ever guest stars

'The Big Bang Theory's' status as the most watched sitcom in America means that a plethora of well-known figures often strive to be apart of Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard's weekly antics.
However, rather than simply succumbing to the demands of every nerd who asks to feature on the show, 'The Big Bang Theory's' writers have instead managed to organically weave those that they have carefully selected seamlessly into its episodes.
But which cameos have left the most lasting impression? Here are 'The Big Bang Theory's' greatest ever guest-stars:

Summer Glau and the cast of The Big Bang Theory

Summer Glau
She might not be a household name, but the 'Firefly' and 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' actress is Leonard, Raj and Howard's dream woman. When they notice that they're traveling in the same train carriage as her in 'The Terminator Decoupling' each of the trio try to seduce Summer. As you could have easily predicted, they all fail miserably.

Read the full article at Yahoo TV

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 10 Feb 2014, 15:01 | Message # 126
Well, the article I will link to is rather on action movies than on the geek culture, but hey finding Summer Glau's name next to confirmed actresses such as Angelina Jolie or Sigourney Weaver is rather rare. And a photo of Summer Glau from Serenity illustrates the article so...

Anyway, Tom Long published at The Detroit News an article on the search for female action heroes that could play in upcoming “The ExpendaBelles”, produced by Sylvester Stallone.

Suddenly Hollywood is hot for female action heroes.

Too bad it doesn’t have many proven veterans from which to draw.

This week a film called “The ExpendaBelles” was announced. It’s going to be produced by Sylvester Stallone and is apparently intended as a companion franchise to “The Expendables” movies (a third one is due in August, since “The Expendables 2” made $305 million worldwide).

[...]

Luckily, there are plenty of women who might jump — or punch — at the chance. Especially if “The ExpendaBelles” turns out to have a comic edge (it’s being written and directed by the team that made “Legally Blonde”). They may not be established as action stars, but they can probably make the transition.

First off, Joss Whedon’s TV shows always featured strong women. Eliza Dushku (“Dollhouse,” “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”) is an obvious choice, as is Summer Glau (“Firefly”).

Read full article at The Detroit News

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 08 Mar 2014, 18:28 | Message # 127
Summer Glau's River Tam features in The Hollywood News's Top 10 bad-ass babes.

With 300: Rise Of An Empire seemingly shifting the focus slightly from the men to the women, THN take a look at the best women from television and film.

Summer Glau's River Tam features in The Hollywood News's Top 10 bad-ass babes

River Tam (Summer Glau)
Firefly & SERENITY

The next entry sees us stick in the Joss Whedon universe and is the first of our women to be from both television and film. River Tam, played by ex-ballerina Summer Glau, was brought aboard the ‘pirate’ spaceship Serenity as a stowaway by her brother Simon. It turned out that River had been a genius child and was snapped up by a prestigious academy, except the academy actually wanted to use River as a guinea pig for their tests. Simon (Sean Mayer) then broke her out of this prison and bartered his way aboard Captain Mal Reynolds’ (Nathan Fillion) ship, thus causing a lot of problems for the team as River’s captors searched for her.

After first coming-too and speaking nothing more than gibberish, the extent of River’s ordeal became apparent when it was revealed that this shy creature could really fight. The series was unceremoniously cancelled by Fox during its first season, but fans were lucky enough to be given a film that tried to explain what the series could not. The film is where River’s combat skills are really highlighted, as she takes down an army worth of bad guys without breaking a sweat.

Read full article: 300: Rise Of The Bad-Ass Babes Of Television And Film

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 09 Mar 2014, 09:53 | Message # 128
Summer Glau's River Tam features in Total Film's 20 Greatest Joss Whedon Characters.

One of the best things that Joss Whedon arguably does is create memorable characters we feel we know. Ever since he debuted Buffy The Vampire Slayer on the idiotbox in 1997, he's been responsible for some of the coolest, scariest and wittiest characters on the big and small screens.

Here, then, are our favourite characters from Whedon properties. These are, in our eyes, the best of the best - which means no Dawn (sorry Dawn fans, all one of you)…

12. River Tam

Summer Glau's River Tam features in Total Film's 20 Greatest Joss Whedon Characters.

"I swallowed a bug."

Though she spends most of Firefly hiding behind her brother's lab coat and babbling nonsensically, River (Summer Glau) really comes into her own in Serenity, the movie continuation of the show.

Raised in a government facility called The Academy, River was trained to become a deadly fighter - and in Serenity, she kicks considerable booty when, in the third act, she demonstrates just what she's capable of by wiping the floor with a rabid pack of Reavers.

Read complete article: 20 Greatest Joss Whedon Characters

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 24 Mar 2014, 00:45 | Message # 129
Love that a TSCC promo photo featuring Summer Glau is the top image in this article about smart network TV at io9.com biggrin

Which Network TV Show Is As Smart As Any Cable Show?
by Charlie Jane Anders

promotional featuring Summer Glau in TSCC is the top image in this article about smart network TV at io9.com

Everybody obsesses about the dark, character-focused intensity of shows like The Walking Dead and True Detective — but network television has served up some shows that are every bit as intelligent, complex and character-focused. What's your favorite show from a broadcast network, that manages to be as smart as any show on cable?

Please include a clip or picture of your chosen TV show. And please include the name, and why it's so complex and intelligent. Thanks!

Top image: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, a show that delved into complex areas of politics, artificial intelligence, robotics and family dynamics without compromising.

Read more at io9

robboDate: Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014, 00:13 | Message # 130
Just been having a look at Monday Madness: Favorite Brother/Sister Duo - on The TV Breakroom Weekly Poll site,
Which is your favorite TV brother/sister duo? (Choose up to 5:)
Simon and River Tam (Firefly) (33%, 14 votes) are currently in second place behind Elena and Jeremy Gilbert (The Vampire Diaries) (50%, 21 votes).

Link to vote: Which is your favorite TV brother/sister duo?

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014, 01:06 | Message # 131
Quote robbo ()
Just been having a look at Monday Madness: Favorite Brother/Sister Duo - on The TV Breakroom Weekly Poll site,
Which is your favorite TV brother/sister duo? (Choose up to 5:)
Simon and River Tam (Firefly) (33%, 14 votes) are currently in second place behind Elena and Jeremy Gilbert (The Vampire Diaries) (50%, 21 votes).

Thanks for the heads up! I voted Simon and River.

robboDate: Tuesday, 25 Mar 2014, 02:25 | Message # 132
# 131 Cheers Chris! me to voted for Simon and River. smile

robboDate: Thursday, 27 Mar 2014, 00:20 | Message # 133
Monday Madness Which is your favorite TV brother/sister duo?
Simon and River Tam (Firefly) 60%, 84 votes.
Nice voting! smile

robboDate: Wednesday, 16 Apr 2014, 21:24 | Message # 134
This Week"s Monday Madness: Past TV Drama"s  - on The TV Breakroom Weekly Poll Site,
which past TV drama"s deserve to be in our May Madness bracket? (choose up to 20!).
Great list for Summer Glau"s past shows.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - The Cape - Firefly - Alphas - Dollhouse - and other guest appearances shows. 
Just given Summer"s shows a bit of a boost with my vote.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 16 Apr 2014, 22:48 | Message # 135
Quote robbo ()
Just given Summer"s shows a bit of a boost with my vote.

Thanks for the link, I voted Summer Glau shows.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Summer Glau's impact on the Geek Culture (As seen on articles and blogposts)
Search: